THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC Fight Night: Strickland vs. Imavov (January 14, 2023)

ESPN+ 7:00 pm ET
    Nassourdine Imavov vs. Sean Strickland
    Dan Ige vs. Damon Jackson
    Punahele Soriano vs. Roman Kopylov
    Raquel Pennington vs. Ketlen Vieira
    Umar Nurmagomedov vs. Raoni Barcelos

ESPN+ 4:00 pm ET
    Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Claudio Ribeiro
    Mateusz Rebecki vs. Nick Fiore
    Javid Basharat vs. Mateus Mendonca
    Carlos Hernandez vs. Allan Nascimento
    Daniel Argueta vs. Nick Aguirre
    Charles Johnson vs. Jimmy Flick
    Priscila Cachoeira vs. Sijara Eubanks

Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave THE_LOCKSMITH 12 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Write ups -

205 lbs.: Sean Strickland vs. Nassourdine Imavov

Sean “Tarzan” Strickland

Record: 25-5 | Age: 31 | Betting line: -105
    Wins: 10 KO/TKO, 4 SUB, 11 DEC | Losses: 2 KO/TKO, 0 SUB, 3 DEC
    Height: 6’1“ | Reach: 76” | Stance: Orthodox
    Significant Strikes Landed Per Minute: 5.59 | Striking accuracy: 40%
    Strikes Absorbed Per Minute: 4.18 | Striking Defense: 64%
    Takedown Average: 1.09 (62% accuracy) | Takedown Defense: 85%
    Current Ranking: No. 7 | Last fight: Split decision loss to Jared Cannonier
    Nassourdine Imavov

Record: 12-3 | Age: 27 | Betting line: -115
    Wins: 5 KO/TKO, 4 SUB, 3 DEC | Losses: 0 KO/TKO, 1 SUB, 2 DEC
    Height: 6’3“ | Reach: 75” | Stance: Orthodox
    Significant Strikes Landed Per Minute: 4.08 | Striking accuracy: 54%
    Strikes Absorbed Per Minute: 2.43 | Striking Defense: 62%
    Takedown Average: 0.95 (23% accuracy) | Takedown Defense: 76%
    Current Ranking: No. 12 | Last fight: Unanimous decision win over Joaquin Buckley
    Middleweight mental patient Sean Strickland will jump off the couch for a light heavyweight main event against up-and-coming 185-pound prospect Nassourdine Imavov and I know we’re all supposed to stand and cheer because “Tarzan” is saving the day — following a late injury to the battered Kelvin Gastelum — but I haven’t seen anything from Strickland in recent fights that has me excited. He “fought like a pussy” in a split decision win over Jack Hermansson at UFC Vegas 45 (his words, not mine), got knocked the f—k out by Alex Pereira at UFC 276, then lost a tepid decision to Jared Cannonier at UFC Vegas 66.
    Let’s be honest, if Strickland wasn’t running his mouth and regurgitating every moronic thought that came into his head, he would probably be fighting on the pay-per-view “Prelims” somewhere or toiling away in middleweight no man’s land. That’s not to take away from his talent. Strickland is a solid wrestler with sneaky submissions and he’s racked up double-digit knockouts, he just can’t seem to close the show when it matters most, or perhaps he’s not good enough to bag and tag the division’s elite. What I do know is that he’s going to have his hands full this Sat. night in Las Vegas.
    Nassourdine Imavov was able to score a UFC contract by racking up an 8-2 record after his first 10 fights on the international circuit, though I don’t think anyone is breaking out the champagne for submission wins over the 8-10 Mateusz Gluch, or the 1-3 Francesco Demontis. The Parisian proved he belonged in UFC with a debut victory over Jordan Williams and after stumbling against the hot-and-cold Phil Hawes, Imavov rattled off three straight wins, including last September’s decision victory over Joaquin Buckley. The fight proved the Frenchman can take a punch (and then some), just as his preceding victory over Edmen Shahbazyan demonstrated Imavov’s pressure, as well as his takedown defense and corresponding retaliation.
    That has to be a concern for Strickland fans because Imavov is the larger combatant and coming off a full camp. You can argue that he will also be competing at a disadvantage, training for a different opponent until the eleventh hour, but Strickland is not unlike Gastelum with his solid chin and wrestling-based offense. I find it hard to pick against a rising star who just hit second gear and looks more impressive each time out, especially when he’s paired against a late replacement who appears to be stuck in neutral.
    Prediction: Imavov def. Strickland via technical knockout
    Related
    Strickland Admits He’s ‘White Trash’ And Proud

145 lbs.: Dan Ige vs. Damon Jackson

Dan “50k” Ige

Record: 15-6 | Age: 31 | Betting line: -125
    Wins: 4 KO/TKO, 5 SUB, 6 DEC | Losses: 0 KO/TKO, 0 SUB, 6 DEC
    Height: 5’7“ | Reach: 71” | Stance: Orthodox
    Significant Strikes Landed Per Minute: 3.80 | Striking accuracy: 45%
    Strikes Absorbed Per Minute: 3.56 | Striking Defense: 56%
    Takedown Average: 1.23 (25% accuracy) | Takedown Defense: 51%
    Current Ranking: No. 13 | Last fight: Unanimous decision loss to Movsar Evloev
    Damon “Action” Jackson

Record: 22-4-1, 1 NC | Age: 34 | Betting line: +105
    Wins: 4 KO/TKO, 15 SUB, 3 DEC | Losses: 3 KO/TKO, 1 SUB, 0 DEC
    Height: 5’11“ | Reach: 71” | Stance: Switch
    Significant Strikes Landed Per Minute: 2.65 | Striking accuracy: 41%
    Strikes Absorbed Per Minute: 2.83 | Striking Defense: 50%
    Takedown Average: 2.62 (40% accuracy) | Takedown Defense: 42%
    Current Ranking: Unranked | Last fight: Technical knockout win over Pat Sabatini
    This fight between Dan Ige and Damon Jackson may not have the name value some fans want in a co-main event, but anyone familiar with “50k” and “Action” understands this three-round contest is likely to be balls-to-the-wall action from start to finish. Ige is hovering just outside the Top 10 at No. 13, which could be considered a generous placement after losing three straight and four of his last five. The Hawaiian’s lone win during that span came via bonus-bagging knockout over Gavin Tucker at UFC Vegas 21.
    Similarly, Jackson registered a recent performance bonus of his own by smashing and trashing Pat Sabatini at UFC Vegas 60 last September. Despite that violent finish, “Action” is known more for his dangerous submission game, responsible for 15 taps in 22 wins — nine of which have come by way of rear-naked choke. Ige has never been finished in 21 professional fights but that doesn’t make him immune, especially considering he’s been facing mostly strikers over the last few years.
    My big concern for Ige heading into this featherweight fracas is his takedown defense. He was dragged to the floor nine times by Movsar Evloev and three times by Chan Sung Jung. When you consider that Jackson has scored 11 takedowns across his last four fights — two of which he finished — then it’s fair to assume Ige will spend some time on the canvas this weekend in “Sin City.” You can never discount the toughness of a gamer like “50k,” I just think stylistically, this is a bad matchup for him.
    Prediction: Jackson def. Ige via submission

Middleweight: Punahele Soriano vs. Roman Kopylov

Best Win for Soriano? Dusko Todorovic For Kopylov? Alessio di Chirico
    Current Streak: Both men won their last bout
    X-Factor: Kopylov showed off real improvements in his last performance
    How these two match up: This is a battle of strikers.
    Soriano definitely falls more into the category of power puncher than technician. The Southpaw is really good at closing distance suddenly with a massive left hand, using a wide stand to transfer huge amounts of power into his shots. Kopylov, conversely, is a former Fight Nights Global champion with some sharp boxing. He hasn’t yet lived up to his initial hype, largely because his wrestling defense and conditioning haven’t always been up to the task.
    Fortunately, he showed up in shape last time out, scoring a third-round stoppage win.
    Between the two, Kopylov is a bit more technical, the better combination puncher. I’m not sure, however, it’s a wide enough disparity to really matter. Soriano is the more athletic man, and his straight left is the most formidable weapon between them. I don’t know that Kopylov can avoid the shot, seeing as he has to exchange with Soriano in order to land his own shots.
    Expect the Hawaiian to score his fourth UFC stoppage.
    Prediction: Soriano via knockout
    Related
    Strickland, Vettori Go Public

Women’s Bantamweight: Ketlen Vieira vs. Raquel Pennington

Best Win for Vieira? Holly Holm For Pennington? Aspen Ladd
    Current Streak: Vieira has won two straight (though the Holm victory was controversial), while Pennington has won four in a row
    X-Factor: Vieira can make baffling in-fight decisions
    How these two match up: I could see this fight going in a multitude of ways.
    Vieira is a strong Bantamweight that likes to bully opponents. She can do so effectively at distance, in the clinch, or from top position. The Brazilian isn’t all brawn though, as she holds a Judo black belt and has a rather punishing jab. Pennington is a scrapper who puts together her punches well and is tough in exchanges. She also has a real knack for snatching up sudden strangles from strange positions, which could come into play here.
    I could really see this going on of two ways. Hopefully, we get a competitive kickboxing scrap, in which Vieira’s jab and counter punches are pitted against Pennington’s body-head combos. Alternatively, the two could end up in an endless clinch slog, in which case whoever pushes the other woman into the fence more will likely be the winner.
    In either case, I slightly favor Vieira. Her willingness to work with her back along the fence will always worry me, especially against a decent dirty boxer in Pennington, but overall, she should be the woman landing the harder shots and more likely to gain top position.
    Prediction: Vieira via decision
    Related
    Predictions! UFC Vegas 67 ‘Prelims’ Preview - Pt. 1

Predictions! UFC Vegas 67 ‘Prelims’ Preview - Pt. 2

Bantamweight: Umar Nurmagomedov vs. Raoni Barcelos

Best Win for Nurmagomedov? Brian Kelleher For Barcelos? Said Nurmagomedov
    Current Streak: Nurmagomedov is 15-0 and has won three straight inside the Octagon, whereas Barcelos returned to the win column last time out
    X-Factor: Barcelos is 35 years of age
    How these two match up: This is a great fight.
    With the last name Nurmagomedov, how much of an intro does the Russian really need? He’s lived up to the family name in a major way thus far, relentlessly grounding his opposition in consistently dominating performances.
    Barcelos perhaps missed his window to contend inside the Octagon, not joining the UFC roster until fairly late in his professional career. Nevertheless, the Brazilian is a hugely talented veteran, an accomplished wrestler with a jiu-jitsu black belt and powerful Muay Thai.
    This is far and away the toughest test of Nurmagomedov’s career. Barcelos is not a jiu-jitsu guy who learned takedowns like many of his countrymen; he’s a standout wrestler with a 93 percent takedown defense rating inside the Octagon. He’s also the superior striker by a considerable margin, so the potential is there for Barcelos to really shock Nurmagomedov.
    Hell, I’m siding with the underdog. Years ago, fans theorized what would happen if Khabib ever squared off opposite Jose Aldo. This is about as close a substitute match up as can happen right now, and hopefully, fight fans appreciate what a unique clash opens the main card.
    Prediction: Barcelos via decision

povis
    povis's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2860

I take a shot with Barcelos no way he's +600 underdog against Umar.

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Hallelujah, the UFC is back. Need a big year to offset the Biden effect in the markets l
    $450 Puna Soriano -150
    $625 Ige -125
    $200 Rebecki rd 1 +ev
    $32 Barcelos +650
    $60 Mendonca +275

thedenthead
    thedenthead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1843

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Hallelujah, the UFC is back. Need a big year to offset the Biden effect in the markets l
    $450 Puna Soriano -150
    $625 Ige -125
    $200 Rebecki rd 1 +ev
    $32 Barcelos +650
    $60 Mendonca +275
    Why puna there? Think kopylov can tag him if it stays standing, which is what both guys made clear they wanted.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Game time let's rock and roll. Got split screens going with NFL and UFC. Could get confusing.

I'm gonna fade Strickland in the main. One week notice call up against this beast is a tall order..

Good luck ya all!

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Lol Imavov is utter horse shit. Strickland is picking him apart. What a turd lol.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Allure View Post
    Lol Imavov is utter horse shit. Strickland is picking him apart. What a turd lol.
    He sure is.

Strickland just a slow lumbering brute that fights well at close range. Kuddo's to Strickland as he looked a bit fat and out of shape and was gassing midway thru the fight but hung in and got his second wind.