209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Mills Lane. Famous boxing ref passes away at 85

Damn, RIP

Mills Lane, a collegiate boxing champion who narrowly missed making the 1960 U.S. Olympic team and who would go on to a career as a prosecutor, a two-term district attorney, a district court judge and one of the greatest referees in boxing history, died early Tuesday at a hospice near his home in Reno, Nevada.

ane's son, Tommy, told the Reno Gazette-Journal his health had significantly declined recently. Lane suffered a debilitating stroke 20 years ago that ended his officiating career and left him unable to speak."He took a significant decline in his overall situation," Tommy Lane told the newspaper. "It was a quick departure. He was comfortable and he was surrounded by his family."

A Marine, Lane won the 1960 NCAA welterweight boxing championship and competed in the U.S. Olympic Trials in San Francisco, California, that year. He lost in the semifinals. He turned pro while still in college and after losing his pro debut, won 10 consecutive fights before retiring.
    Lane served two terms as the Washoe County, Nevada, district attorney and then became a district court judge in Washoe. He then hosted a television show similar to "The People's Court" in which he'd hear civil cases.
    Lane, though, was primarily known as one of the greatest referees in boxing history. He worked many of the biggest fights in the second half of the 20th century and officiated bouts including Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe, among many others.
    His catch phrase, "Let's get it on!" which he used to open bouts was highly popular and distinctive and became his signature.
    "Mills Lane was one of the best referees ever," Richard Steele, himself one of the great referees of all time, told Yahoo Sports. "Mills had great judgement and he would make all the calls at the right time, never too early and never too late. He was one-way all the time. He wasn't wishy-washy. He was strong, decisive and consistent. He had that Marine Corps background and he refereed the same way. We were both in the Marines and we used to talk about the need to be strong, firm and in charge all the time. He helped me to be the referee I became. He was one hell of a guy and was a good, fair honest person. I'm going to miss him, man. I truly am."
    Lane refereed the rematch between Holyfield and Tyson at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on June 28, 1997, that became known as "The Bite Fight." Holyfield defeated Tyson at the MGM Grand eight months earlier to win the title, but Tyson was upset with the refereeing of Mitch Halpern, whom he accused of allowing Holyfield to headbutt him.
    Halpern was reappointed to work the rematch, but when the Tyson side argued, Halpern withdrew so as not to be a part of the story. Lane replaced him and in the third round, found himself in the unenviable position of trying to restore order after Tyson bit Holyfield on the ear.

Marc Ratner is now an executive at the UFC but was then the executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission. When Tyson first bit Holyfield, Lane disqualified him immediately. Ratner got up on the ring apron and said to Lane, "Are you sure?" Lane then allowed the fight to continue.
    "I used to tell all my referees to think, and when I asked him if he were sure, he thought about it and made his decision," Ratner told Yahoo Sports. "That was a wild situation and he handled it about as well as could be."
    Lane was the referee in several bouts that were difficult or unusual. He worked the rematch between Bowe and Holyfield for the undisputed heavyweight title in 1993 when James Miller, a paraglider, flew into the ring and got entangled in the ropes during the match. He worked the Oliver McCall-Lewis rematch at the then-Las Vegas Hilton on Feb. 7, 1997. McCall had a mental breakdown during the fight and began crying in the ring. Lane stopped the fight and awarded Lewis a TKO victory.
    He also was forced to disqualify Henry Akinwande in a fight with Lewis in 1997 at Caesars Tahoe when Akinwande was extremely passive and continued to hold.
    On Aug. 28, 1998, Lane was refereeing a middleweight title match between Robert Allen and Bernard Hopkins at the Las Vegas Hilton. There was repeated holding in the fight and at the final time as Lane attempted to break them up, Hopkins fell and rolled out of the ring. He injured an ankle and couldn't continue, forcing the bout to be ruled a no-contest.
    Ratner referred to those bouts jokingly as "the Grand Slam of bizarreness."
    Lane, though, handled the situations as well as could be expected.
    "He was one of the most unique people I've ever met," Ratner said. "He was a law-and-order guy and very firm, but he was a wonderful guy and I loved speaking with him and spending time with him. He was a no-nonsense referee and even though he was a slight man, when he gave commands and told the fighters to break, they broke because they had so much respect for him.
    "I was blessed in my time [as executive director of the commission] to have him Mills, Richard and Joe [Cortez]. They are three Hall of Fame referees and among the greatest referees ever. I was so lucky to have guys like that to use in my big fights."
    In 2013, Lane was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

mama whoiscrying
    mama whoiscrying's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Mills....he was the best. RIP.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

Legend
    He was tough

RIP

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

Quote Originally Posted by mama whoiscrying View Post
    Mills....he was the best. RIP.

RIP
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat, las8, and bigtymer56

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14043

Legend

RIP

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Rip goat

las8
    BigdaddyQH is a pedophile
    las8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16799

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post

RIP
    First thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I couldn't remember the name of the show tho.

ExposingLines247
    ExposingLines247's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6058

Celebrity death match
    Points Awarded:

mama whoiscrying gave ExposingLines247 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11558

85 long life. Next..

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16693

I wonder how much payoff money he got throughout his career from wiseguys.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

RIP Mills Lane.

A versatile legend, a real judge, and always one of my favorites.

He oversaw some of the most memorable moments in boxing history.

Points Awarded:

homie1975 gave KVB 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10957

he was awesome.

it was maybe 4 to 6 mos ago i thought about him at the same time i thought about the late, greats ferdie pacheco and harold lederman, who both of who passed away.

it was nice to see Mills was still alive.

sad to hear he has left us now.

Legend.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

That's when you know what the answer to that question is
    Points Awarded:

homie1975 gave gauchojake 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: homie1975, and KVB

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57563

Loved him in the Tyson fights! RIP

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10957

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    That's when you know what the answer to that question is
    Jim Rome Classic.

excelente Jake !!

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Good life

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Soon we'll need a subforum with all the people who died. lol Every thread... someone is dying.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

I always remember the double nose tap he did when they announced his name. RIP Legend indeed.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16073

JFC…the dude is 85……We all die

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11558

If JJ lost weight he could be the next Mills Lane!

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

Do you think we all come back in another life

Brandt Moat
    Brandt Moat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2878

You comment on the stupidity of the people of our society for a spelling error? Your or You're. Remember yesterday? So, "NEXT" I guess class has no place in your super intelligent world. That tells me all I need to know. Your (sorry you're) a fook face. Hope your family hates you. You have to be a lonely worthless fook. Don't care what ya want to hear you fookn dummy. Hope someone at your funeral says that about your life you low life fook.

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    85 long life. Next..

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10260

what a life , rip sir..

Brandt Moat

Good memories of him. 2 touches on the nose and point at camera when introduced. When I had a bet on a fight always hoped he was in charge. Not Richard "I will" Steele your money. RIP Lane.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Brandt Moat 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

KVB gave Brandt Moat 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

Brandt Moat

More jokes in a RIP thread. Super Smart! He knows how to correctly punctuated and read. Wow his I.Q. is sky high! But, he is a FOOK FACE piece of shiot. Die soon worthless one. One Love Bro! One Love!

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    If JJ lost weight he could be the next Mills Lane!

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Brandt Moat View Post
    Good memories of him. 2 touches on the nose and point at camera when introduced. When I had a bet on a fight always hoped he was in charge. Not Richard "I will" Steele your money. RIP Lane.

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

More jokes in a RIP thread. Super Smart! He knows how to correctly punctuated and read. Wow his I.Q. is sky high! But, he is a FOOK FACE piece of shiot. Die soon worthless one. One Love Bro! One Love!
    I'm convinced you are retarded. Why don't you & Jibby get a room both of you are pathetic.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Tyson with mad respect for Mills...

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kermit, and DiggityDaggityDo

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

I can't find a GIF of him doing the nose touches.

Fawk.

Brandt Moat

He did it every time KVB. You know it. The rest of these fooks have no idea.

Brandt Moat

Boxing LEGEND!!

Brandt Moat

I have seen jokes on Ray Guy, Mills Lane on R.I.P. threads. You people suck! Get some respect dog shiot people.

Brandt Moat

And I get banned?????????????????????????????????? ?

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    I can't find a GIF of him doing the nose touches.

Fawk.

I looked as well... I was stunned that I couldn't find it.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave JohnGalt2341 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat