RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Calling Raiders, Mean People Suck - Which desktop Wallet(s) Support Bitcoin Cash?

I've read that hardware wallets trezor and ledger support bcc, but which (if any) desktop wallets support it??
    This is important for those who don't want to rely on an exchange.

Additionally, is it possible to buy a trezor or ledger in a store?

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15294

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    I've read that hardware wallets trezor and ledger support bcc, but which (if any) desktop wallets support it??
    This is important for those who don't want to rely on an exchange.

Additionally, is it possible to buy a trezor or ledger in a store?
    There aren't any BCC wallets that I know of but they will pop up soon. Exodus is a nice desktop wallet. I don't see any brick and mortar places to buy trezor but there are many online.

As long as you have control of private keys, you'll have both coins.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

Raiders, I just read this but have no idea what it means...

Bitcoin Cash Wallets Are Difficult to Come By

For most people, the only Bitcoin Cash wallet they will need is the address provided by one of the exchanges supporting this alternative version of Bitcoin. While there is some merit to that, relying on exchange wallets also means the user is never in full control of his or her funds. For those people who want to actively support Bitcoin Cash and not be reliant on an exchange to keep their funds secure, alternative wallet solutions are in high demand.
    The obvious solution would be using the updated Bitcoin ABC binaries, which were released a few hours ago. The updated client offers strong replay protection, which was one of the aspects in which some exchanges felt Bitcoin Cash was lacking. Additionally, other changes were introduced including updated ABC logos. It seems most of the binaries were based on the Bitcoin Unlimited client, which is not entirely surprising. We can only hope this software does not cause any issues and force nodes offline.

What does this mean? What are binaries and how does that relate to a wallet? Is it a wallet? If so, how can I get it.

MeanPeopleSuck
    MeanPeopleSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 700

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    Raiders, I just read this but have no idea what it means...

Bitcoin Cash Wallets Are Difficult to Come By

For most people, the only Bitcoin Cash wallet they will need is the address provided by one of the exchanges supporting this alternative version of Bitcoin. While there is some merit to that, relying on exchange wallets also means the user is never in full control of his or her funds. For those people who want to actively support Bitcoin Cash and not be reliant on an exchange to keep their funds secure, alternative wallet solutions are in high demand.
    The obvious solution would be using the updated Bitcoin ABC binaries, which were released a few hours ago. The updated client offers strong replay protection, which was one of the aspects in which some exchanges felt Bitcoin Cash was lacking. Additionally, other changes were introduced including updated ABC logos. It seems most of the binaries were based on the Bitcoin Unlimited client, which is not entirely surprising. We can only hope this software does not cause any issues and force nodes offline.

What does this mean? What are binaries and how does that relate to a wallet? Is it a wallet? If so, how can I get it.
    1. Don't worry for a second about the quote you posted. What they mean by binaries is a pre-Beta release of one of our (the old Bitcoin Unlimited movement, of which I was a part) wallets thrashed together to support BCC. You don't need one and you don't want one. My guess is it's got a ton of bugs in it.

2. I second Raiders' comments on wallets. The whole BCC thing came up so fast that nobody -- not the exchanges, not the wallets, not you and not me -- were ready for it. So don't worry, there WILL BE plenty of wallets that support BCC that you'll be able to move BCC into and out of, but this thing's so new that the wallets are all scrambling to get the infrastructure in place to do that, and it might take some time.

All you need to worry about right now is just GETTING your BCC somewhere -- anywhere. To do that, I recommend just opening an account and sending all your BTC to any of these exchanges: Bitfinex, Kraken, Gemini, or Bittrex. Then, that's it. You don't have to do anything else but sit back, let the exchanges worry about dotting the I's and crossing the T's and soon (hopefully Tues, but nobody knows if the exchanges can actually get it all done by then) some BCC will just parachute into your account.

3. Since some of the Exchanges are supporting BCC, there's no longer any real need for you to get a private wallet, but if still want one anyway, here's step by step instructions for downloading Electrum, a wallet I use:

1. Click here: https://electrum.org/#home

2. Along the top of the page, click "Download"

3. If you're using Windows, and you probably are, in the Windows box, click on "Standalone Executable (signature)". If you're on an Apple device, reply w/ that and maybe an Apple person can pick up the step by steps from here.

4. Depending on what version of Windows you're running your computer will ask you if and/or where you want to Save or Download the program. Just agree to whatever and wherever it suggests, and if you're offered the option to Run or Save, click Save, which will start the download.

5. In the lower left hand corner of your screen a box will open up showing the status of the download, by % completed. When that box hits 100%, click on it. This will open your spankin' brand new wallet.

6. Now follow the steps the wallet takes you through, to complete its installation. I forget those steps exactly, but by far the most important one is that at some point you'll be asked to write down a 12 word, nonsense "Seed". Do that, and keep the paper copy somewhere very, very safe. Like, with your passport or locked inside an actual safe level of safe, because if your computer blows up or you forget your password, that phrase will be the ONLY way to recover your BTC.

If you get stuck, feel free to post any questions about the above step by step directions. In the crypto-verse, there's literally no such thing as a stupid question.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

I use Linux

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

So I tried installing Electrum on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 with these directions:

Install dependencies:
    sudo apt-get install python-qt4 python-pip
    Install Electrum:
    sudo pip2 install https://download.electrum.org/2.9.0/...m-2.9.0.tar.gz

At the end of that, it says:

"You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 9.0.1 is available. You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

But typing that command only returns command not found.
    Does anyone know how to upgrade via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

Do I need this 9.0.1 to safely store coins in electrum and to be able to withdraw from electrum?

Or is there maybe an easier, but good, wallet for linux?