jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Mets Failures Were Beltran

One of biggest disappointments in MLB History. He was main reason Mets failed this year.

This guy is just not that good.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Unfortunately, I think it depends upon his motivation. If you watched any of the NLCS last year, the Cardinals just could not get him out. He was unbelievable. He was also playing for a contract in front of a huge audience. Now that he's got his contract, he has no motivation to play. That's big league ball players for you.......

E

Terris
    Terris's Avatar Become A Pro!

ok thats it...my ignore list aint empty anymore. Too bad i prolly still will see his threads.
    No need for a stupid answer this time too jj, but i know that it will come - cause only normal guys would realize they are a pain in the ass and just stop it, you dont seem to have the brains for that conclusion. Over and out JJGold

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

To be fair, his numbers this year are only slightly worse than his career averages. Mets fans can only hope Beltran copies A-Rod's performance his first two years in New York. A lot of people were blaming him for their failure last year, and this year he will either win MVP or finish second.

The Mets have a lot deeper problems than Beltran. The right side of their infield is horrible, and their bullpen is a joke. Braden Looper is probably the worst closer in baseball.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Baseball is a sport full of streaks, Beltran was fortunate that he got hot at the right time AND with a team that needed it to make the playoffs so he would be noticed. He cashed in well and I can't blame him for it.

jjgold

Terris you have no clue about anything

your a laughing stock if you think Beltran had a good year

He batted 270

120 Million?

Terris are you in the 4th grade?

freebie
    freebie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Beltran always failed to deliver when needed.

Pedro
    Pedro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4463

I have never been a fan of teams signing players for insane amounts of money unless they have consistently produced exceeding number year in year out.

I think it's silly when a team sings a player for crazy cash and multi year when the player was hot only for a small time.

I have always been in favor of signing younger guys for much less and then simply hope to get lucky and wait for one of them to break out.

In this case, the Mets have singed a player that has NOT demonstrated that he is a consistently good player and now they are paying the price.

Pedro

jjgold

I would say Beltran is the biggest flop in baseball history considering his salary

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by freebie
    Beltran always failed to deliver when needed.
    Did you watch the playoffs last year? I know he's having a down year this year, but your statement above is not true.

jjgold

Beltran did have a great run but it was only run of his career

He had a few good series and that is it

Is that worth 119 Million?

doncal
    doncal's Avatar Become A Pro!

when is the last time the mets signed a big name free agent OR made a trade that lived up to the hype??? arguably, Pedro has worked out, but he is not going to be worth half of what they give him at the end of his contract......anybody remember? and please don't say Mikey Piazza, 'cause as far as catchers go he'd make a great DH. Mo Vaughan?

why
    why's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of the biggest mistakes ever, you don't pay that kind of money based on one year. When are these teams going to learn how to build a system that starts with your draft choices. There is a team in the NL east that knows how to run a baseball program, I would send some people there, pay if you have to, and learn how its done.

jjgold

recent history shows it is not money that wins titles or wins divisions

why
    why's Avatar Become A Pro!

Teams win titles and divisions.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Beltran is putting up numbers comparable to his career averages. Omar Minaya was bidding against himself. Even the Yankees were unwilling to offer over $100 million. Minaya is a bigger flop than Beltran.

Sammy Sosa was the biggest high dollar player flop this season. Another one that is not as pricey was Dan Kolb, who had a remarkable season last year for the Brewers, but has been terrible for the Braves. His ERA is over 6.

scottric
    scottric's Avatar Become A Pro!

Also remember that Shea Stadium is an unfriendly hitters ballpark. That may or may not have something to do with it. He was a good player but that's about it. He just happened to get a hot streak at the most fortunate time. I'm sure Houston is breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't sign him and commit so much money to him when they apparently have all they need down there after all.

I do wonder if it really is about getting that big a contract. I mean, if any of us hit the jackpot like that would we continue to work hard or just do the bare minimum? He doesn't seem like that kind of guy but you never know.

jjgold

scotty good poing about Shea

It is hard to hit there

This Wright guy on the Mets has to be great to do what he is doing in Shea.

He should go to Boston and he will be a Mega Star in that Ball Park

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

If you look at Beltran's history in KC, he's doing about the same thing in New York now. He is a greatly hyped player. I think that everyone saw what Beltran was doing on a big stage last year in the NLCS and thought, "we have to get this guy". I remember when Beltran was in KC and the prevailing thought was: "its just a matter of time before this guy becomes a superstar". It never materialized in KC. My opinion is that Minaya bought in to the hype of Beltran being the next great superstar.

I think Beltran is a solid player but his hype has been overblown. Beltran has marketed himself perfectly whether it was intentional or not.

E

jjgold

Lets ee what he does next year

Maybe he needed an adjustment year but he seem like no factor at the plate and I bet there are guys in farm system just as good if they got chance

OldeTymePlaya
    OldeTymePlaya's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold
    One of biggest disappointments in MLB History. He was main reason Mets failed this year.

This guy is just not that good.
    jj, baseball is a team sport and the fortunes of team are determined by muchj more complex factors than just one outfielder, son.

Son there is pitching, offense and defense son

Son there is also coaching and chemistry.

One outdielder can only make a small difference. Have a nice day son.

jjgold

So Barry Bonds does not make a difference??

Take A-Rods numbers off the yanks and they are in 4th place

Big time players have big time impact