bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clemens pitches BP at Astros minicamp

i guess he will be signing with houston on may 1st

Clemens pitches BP at Astros minicamp

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
    January 30, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Roger Clemens made an unexpected appearance at the start of the Houston Astros' minicamp on Monday, pitching batting practice to prospects that included his oldest son, Koby.

The 43-year-old right-hander hasn't decided whether he'll play a 23rd season. He led the major leagues with a 1.87 ERA last year but was plagued by back and hamstring problems late in the season. He limped off the field after just two innings in the World Series opener.

Clemens said Monday his back and hamstring were healed, but he has doubts whether he could last another full season.

"There will be a week I get up and I feel like I can do it again and then the next week, I don't want to get out in the outfield and start running those poles and doing those things," Clemens said. "If last year's World Series was it for me, I'm more than happy. I know we didn't reach our ultimate goal, but it was a lot of fun. I have a lot to think about."

Clemens, a free agent, wasn't offered salary arbitration by the Astros and cannot re-sign with them until May 1. He hopes to pitch for the United States in the World Baseball Classic.

Clemens took the mound at Minute Maid Park, wearing a black Astros shirt and matching cap as he worked up a sweat pitching for about 20 minutes.

"My body feels great, arm feels good," Clemens said. "I just need the conditioning with my legs. When I have a little extra-long session here, like I was able to throw BP and simulate a couple of hitters, it helps a lot."

Clemens said he didn't overexert himself during Monday's workout, throwing only a handful of game-level fastballs. He was still sore afterward.

"Two split-fingers hurt my elbow like you wouldn't believe, and I've got a heartbeat in the back of my shoulder right now," Clemens said.

Clemens planned to throw again Tuesday and Wednesday. He hopes to tell U.S. manager Buck Martinez within 12 days if he can pitch effectively in the WBC.

"If I'm going to be active, I want to make a good showing," he said. "It's not an exhibition game, it's the real deal. It's not spring training, where I can get out there and I start getting hammered around, they just leave me out there to get my pitch count in."

Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan, a power pitcher like Clemens who retired at 46, expects Clemens to play this season. Ryan, who works in the Astros' front office, chatted with Clemens before Monday's workout.

"I don't expect him not to pitch because of the competitor he is," said Ryan. "If he can physically do it, I think he'll do it. That's his life."

When Clemens signed with the Astros in January 2004, he also signed a personal services contract that would keep him with the team in some capacity for 10 years after he retires.

Clemens said he showed up Monday mainly to work with the Astros' prospects, a hint of what he'll do after he's finished playing.

"This is my home, whether I play here or not, no matter what, I'm going to come back and work for these kids and be around the organization," Clemens said. "I'll go out and shake hands and see everybody here, but I want to work with the kids behind the scenes in the minor leagues. Right now, that's the only deal I've got."

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

What do reckon he should do? Statistically he's had one of the best seasons of his life - I would think that this would be a good time to bow out gracefully with an amazing season ERA and assisting in getting the unfancied Astros into the World Series. Not to mention the pinch hitting and closer action in the best game I've ever watched.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I imagine he will resign with Houston.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think thats a perty safe assumption ILL.

where else can a guy get terms like he gets in houston.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

He could just say f\*\*k it and retire.