onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Dontrelle Willis breaks record with new $4.35 million contract

With everyone the Marlins unloaded this off season, Im surprised they agreed to this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Crasnick
    ESPN.com
    Dontrelle Willis reached agreement Monday with the Florida Marlins on a one-year, guaranteed $4.35 million contract, easily breaking the record for a starting pitcher in his first year of salary arbitration.

Willis' deal includes an additional $200,000 in incentive bonuses that could bring the overall package to $4.55 million.

Willis, 24, went 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA last year and finished second to St. Louis' Chris Carpenter in balloting for the National League Cy Young Award. His deal surpasses the previous high of $3.825 million by Toronto's Roy Halladay in 2003.

"I'm kind of dumbfounded," Willis told ESPN.com. "I graduated from high school in 2000 and I'm a millionaire right now. I never even dreamed of being in this situation."

Dodgers closer Eric Gagne and Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter both made $5 million in their first year of arbitration eligibility. That's the highest figure ever for a one-year deal regardless of position category.

The Marlins have elected to go year-by-year with Willis, who has a career record of 46-27 over three seasons, rather than try to sign him to a long-term deal. Agent Matt Sosnick was scheduled to exchange salary arbitration figures with the club Tuesday. By getting the contract done Monday, Willis avoided a hearing with the club.

Sosnick, who also represents Marlins starters Josh Johnson and Scott Olsen and prospect Ricky Nolasco, negotiated the deal over the course of 10 conversations with Florida general manager Larry Beinfest.

"Our conversations were never heated or frustrated," Sosnick said. "We just tried to make progress with each call. Neither of us felt like we had to go down to the last five minutes tomorrow to try to make a point. Ultimately, it was Dontrelle's decision. He was anxious to have this put behind him."

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Kid deserves more money, IMO.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

damn right he does owned !

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

I agree, but Im sure he will next year, as this one is only a 1 year contract.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

im am really suprised he settled on such a low contract though. with the way the money is flowing in bases, i would have swore he commanded alot more.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm surprised he wants to stay with them. I'm sure they will end up trading him.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    Kid deserves more money, IMO.
    Hell yeah. Especially when he was paid less than $400,000 in 2005.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Look at his quote, this is a main reason why this kid is a success. He's got a great attitute toward the game and appreciates everything he gets.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    Look at his quote, this is a main reason why this kid is a success. He's got a great attitute toward the game and appreciates everything he gets.
    That's a refreshing change for once. I do agree that he does deserve more money however.

BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

He’ll be a yank soon enough