bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

No A-Rod wants to play in the World Baseball Classic

first he says he won't, and now he says he will

U.S. GM expects A-Rod decision by next week

January 5, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- The general manager of the U.S. team for the World Baseball Classic expects to find out by next week whether Alex Rodriguez will play for the Americans at the tournament.

"I'm waiting to hear from the union," Bob Watson said Thursday. "I haven't gotten any word. We haven't been allowed to talk to him. The union is handling all of that. We'll just play it by ear."

Rodriguez is eligible to play for both the United States and the Dominican Republic. He said last month that he intended to play for the Dominican Republic, then changed his mind two days later and said he wouldn't play for anyone because he didn't want to "dishonor" either country.

Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the players' association, said he hoped to change Rodriguez's mind. Initial 60-man rosters must be submitted by Jan. 17.

Watson, who also is the vice president in the commissioner's office who deals with on-field discipline, said he expected to have a conversation with Orza within a few days.

"There's been Dominican. There's been U.S. There's been not playing," Watson said. "We'll just have to wait and see."

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

One way or the other he has two weeks to finalize his decision.

bigboydan

i know oyl had odds posted on this even a while ago. but, will there be individual game lines posted on these games.

Illusion

I'm sure there will be.

bigboydan

thats what i'm assuming as well ILL. there should be some very interesting lines out there i'm sure on these games.

Illusion

I just wanna see those totals. That will be interesting.

bigboydan

ILL, i wonder if anyone will even put totals out on these games. i know alot of the college world series games they didn't.

Illusion

I'm sure they will. I expect to see 12-13's when they do.

bigboydan

i can't see them being that high personaly ILL.

Illusion

Maybe not 13, but I'm sure we will see alot of 12's.

bigboydan

i wonder if we really if we will see these totals that inflated or not. with the time off for most players and, the roids rule on a world type testing level. i wonder if they will even post totals on these games.

Illusion

Do the international doping rules apply to this event? I think this a great topic. Does anybody know?

bigboydan

thats a good question ILL

i think they would be though, because this is a world event.

Illusion

A-Rod to discuss Classic with officials before deciding

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez will have another conversation with baseball officials in the next few days before deciding whether to play in the World Baseball Classic, according to his agent.

The AL MVP, eligible to play for the United States and the Dominican Republic, said last month that he intended to play for the Dominican team, then said he wouldn't play at all because he didn't want to offend either country.

Gene Orza, the No. 2 official of the players' association, said he would attempt to persuade Rodriguez to play, and baseball officials and the union had a conference call with the New York Yankees third baseman.

"They had a conversation early in the week," agent Scott Boras said Thursday. "They exchanged some dialogue, and they're going to talk again later."

Initial 60-man rosters are due by Tuesday, and the U.S. Baseball Federation said Thursday it plans to announce the U.S. picks Monday night. Final 30-man rosters don't have to be chosen until just before the 16-team tournament, scheduled for March 3-20.

Illusion

At least we will have a decision in the next few days.