bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yankees agree on outline of $275 million, 10-year contract

Thats a far cry from the 35 million he was seeking this time around, however I sure can't blame the guy for shooting high like he did.

Report: A-Rod, Yankees agree on outline of $275 million, 10-year contract

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed to the outline of a
    $275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that potentially would allow him to earn millions more if he sets the career home run record.

The amount of the guaranteed money was revealed by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized. A-Rod met Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., with the Steinbrenner brothers but the parameters of the deal were set in place last weekend.

"Yeah, I could say that," Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said. "The meeting was a final get-together. He wanted to make sure myself and my brother knew that he was sincere and serious."

The Yankees still must draft the agreement with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

As a realistic New Yorker I can't sit here and say I don't want him on my team. I don't want to hear the choking BS either, just like I didn't want to hear it always being said about Peyton Manning in the same regard. Can't put it all on his shoulders.

buzzsawl
    buzzsawl's Avatar Become A Pro!

He is a great player. Prob all the records when he is done. So far he is a post season choker. His team needs pitching or he will not get his ring.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

How ironic that this got no pub because of the Bonds indictment.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    How ironic that this got no pub because of the Bonds indictment.
    Actually ESPN news dedicated the entire night replying those two events every damn half hour.

bigboydan

Did you guys happen to catch these clauses in his contract yet.

They gave him big bonuses every time he surpasses a milestone achievement as long as he autographs items for the team afterwards. I guess thats one way to recoup some of that contract.

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed on a $30 million marketing package based on home-run achievements that could raise the total value of his new contract to $305 million over 10 years.

Under the agreement, which remains to be finalized, Rodriguez could receive $6 million each for tying the home-run levels of Willie Mays (660), Babe Ruth (714), Hank Aaron (755) and Barry Bonds (762), and an additional $6 million for breaking Bonds' major league record.

The Yankees could designate each level as a historic event, enabling Rodriguez to receive the added money in exchange for additional personal appearances and signed memorabilia for the club. That enabled the agreement to be allowed by the players' association and the commissioner's office. Baseball generally prohibits bonuses based on statistics such as home runs.

Details of the agreement were first reported by The New York Times on its Web site and were confirmed Saturday by a baseball official who spoke on condition of anonymity because those aspects have not been made public. The commissioner's office and the players' association have approved the concept of the marketing agreement, the official said.

Rodriguez has 518 homers, 17th on the career list. He opted out of the final three seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year contract on Oct. 28, forfeiting $72 million, and became a free agent the following day. About a week later, he approached the Yankees without agent Scott Boras and then with the help of two Goldman Sachs managing directors negotiated a $275 million, 10-year contract.

The outline of that deal was agreed to over the weekend of Nov. 10-11, and Rodriguez met three days later in Tampa, Fla., with Hank and Hal Steinbrenner, the sons of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

New York and Boras are working toward finalizing the agreement.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

My teaching contract is not quite as much as his contract....