bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Prior voids remainder of contract, eligible for arbitration

CHICAGO (AP) — Cubs pitcher Mark Prior voided the final year of his contract, making him eligible for salary arbitration. The right-hander's agent, John Boggs, said Wednesday that Prior notified the team of his decision on Nov. 29.
    Prior's deal, agreed to in 2001 after he was drafted, allowed him to void the contract after 2004 or 2005, but only if he had accumulated enough service time to be eligible for arbitration. He just missed having enough service time after 2004.

His first contract had called for a $2.75 million salary next year, and he will earn far more because of arbitration.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Cubs own his rights until 2008. He isn't going anywhere.

bigboydan

that might be ILL, but i guess he's willing to take the gamble on arbitration.

considering he was hurt alot these past few years, i don't know if that will really help or hurt his case.

bigboydan

Prior and Cubs settle at $3.65 million

January 27, 2006

CHICAGO (AP) -- Mark Prior and the Chicago Cubs agreed Friday to a $3.65 million, one-year contract, $900,000 more than the salary he would have earned under the contract he voided in November.

Prior was 18-6 in 2003, when the Cubs were within five outs of reaching the World Series, but dropped to 17-11 over the past two season. A sore elbow caused him to start last season on the disabled list, and when he came back he was hit in the elbow by a line drive. He finished 11-7 with a 3.67 ERA.

Under his previous contract, he had the right to terminate his deal once he became eligible for salary arbitration. He had asked for $4 million in arbitration and had been offered $3.3 million.

Prior's deal with Chicago includes bonuses for finishing high in voting for MVP and Cy Young, winning a Gold Glove or Silver Slugger and making the All-Star team.

Chicago has four players remaining in arbitration: right-hander Carlos Zambrano, center fielder Juan Pierre, left-hander Will Ohman and infielder Jerry Hairston Jr.

Illusion

I can't believe Hairston Jr is even on their roster.

bigboydan

it's the cubs ILL, so i totaly understand it

Illusion

You know it's bad when there big offseason signing was Jaun Pierre.