bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Giants acquire Finley from Angels for Alfonzo

why in the world would the giants make this move anyways. they just picked up a 40 year old washed up slugger, that has completely lost his skills in the past few years.

Giants acquire Finley from Angels for Alfonzo

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
    December 21, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The San Francisco Giants acquired outfielder Steve Finley from the Los Angeles Angels for third baseman Edgardo Alfonzo on Wednesday in a swap of former All-Stars who dropped off dramatically last season.

The 40-year-old Finley batted a career-worst .222 with 12 home runs and 54 RBIs in 112 games for the We were hoping for a better season from him, and I'm sure the Giants were hoping for a better season from Alfonzo as well. Neither had career years," Angels general manager Bill Stoneman said. "I talked to Steve and I know he's working as hard as ever."

Alfonzo played in only 109 games last season, batting .277 with two home runs and 43 RBIs.

The Giants have been interested in Finley for some time, pursuing him twice previously in free agency -- including last winter before he joined the Angels. San Francisco wound up signing Moises Alou.

Finley has long produced some of his biggest hits against the Giants while with every NL West rival except Colorado, hitting a grand slam for the Dodgers during the final weekend of the 2004 season to keep San Francisco from making the playoffs.

"I'm excited to be going back to the National League, especially to a team like San Francisco," he said during a conference call. "I really wanted to come to San Francisco those two times and I thought they were a good team. I'm so glad this trade happened."

Finley gives the Giants another aging player in the outfield, along with 41-year-old Barry Bonds and 39-year-old Moises Alou. Finley is likely to be the team's fourth outfielder at first if Bonds is healthy, but the Giants have been looking for a lefty to add to their lineup as insurance in case the slugger is still limited by his troublesome right knee. He had three operations on the knee this year and missed most of the season.

"Steve Finley is a player that can win games in many ways -- with his bat, his glove and his knowledge," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said. "He will give Felipe (Alou) many options in the outfield ... as well as provide a great veteran presence."

Sabean hopes Bonds and Alou can play at least 120 games each. Winn, the 31-year-old center fielder, had 14 home runs and 26 RBIs in 58 games with the Giants after arriving in a trade with Seattle.

Finley is a two-time All-Star and five-time Gold Glove winner who has reached the 20-homer mark seven times, including a career-high 36 homers in 2004. He is the only active player with 300 doubles, 100 triples and 200 homers.

"Our goal is to get him on the field as much as possible. We're open-minded. We didn't do this deal to have him sitting on the bench," Sabean said. "I think it's going to be a good problem."

Finley said he will begin spring training trying to become a starter, and Sabean is thrilled Finley is versatile enough to play all three outfield spots.

"I feel like I've got a lot to prove," Finley said. "My goal is to come there and have my name written in the lineup every day. As a player, I'm coming off a year I didn't do too well and I've got to force the issue."

Alfonzo struggled for much of his time with the Giants since signing a $26 million, four-year contract following the 2002 season. He is still owed $1 million from a signing bonus that is due Jan. 31, and a $7 million salary for 2006.

"He will come in and take a shot at playing a lot of infield. Whether it would be at second or third will probably be determined in spring training," Stoneman said. "By trading Steve Finley, it makes it more likely that Chone Figgins is going to be playing more out in center than he did in the past."

Alfonzo knew his future with the Giants was in question because they want to develop Pedro Feliz as a regular starter at one position. Feliz got 569 at-bats last season and played 79 games at third base.

Sabean hopes Feliz will become more comfortable and productive in a stable environment.

"Being as to what he went through this year with people out of the lineup, it was baptism under fire," the GM said. "He's darn close to Gold Glove-caliber at third base."

AP Sports Writer Ken Peters in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

His best days are definatelybehind him. What a bad move by the Giants.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

ILL, Finley had his best years during the roids era. now that roids are banned now. he's just another washed up major league player. that should be playing in the minors right about now.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Alfonzo has been pretty useless for the Giants as well and no room for him with the Giants wanting to get Feliz more ABs.