bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ponson agrees to one-year deal with Cardinals

it looks like the cardnails aquired another worthless retread. i think they might just be a good fade team this year.

Ponson agrees to one-year deal with Cardinals

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
    December 21, 2005

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- After agreeing Wednesday to a one-year contract with the St. Louis Cardinals, Sidney Ponson said he's changed in the three months since the Baltimore Orioles voided his contract and released him.

Ponson went to an alcohol rehabilitation facility in September and has been seeing a psychiatrist After my last problem, I sought help and didn't wait for anybody to push me," Ponson said. "I just did it on my own. Since the last time I had trouble I've been clean."

Ponson's agreement with the Cardinals calls for a $1 million base salary and allows him to earn an additional $1.5 million in performance bonuses. Ponson, 7-11 with a 6.21 ERA last season, will compete for a spot in the rotation.

"We signed him with that purpose in mind, based on his past career," Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty said. "It provides more depth to our rotation, more depth to our pitching staff, and that has been the priority of our offseason plan."

Jocketty said the team did a "thorough background check" of Ponson and met with the pitcher and his agent in Florida a few weeks ago. Jocketty thinks Ponson is "sincere in wanting to turn things around."

"Everybody deserves a second chance and we're here to provide that," Jocketty said. "That doesn't mean we're going to let things slide, either."

Jocketty said the contract includes language pertaining to alcohol abuse but characterized it as "pretty common language."

Ponson had a $7.5 million salary last year in the middle season of a $22.5 million, three-year contract. He was arrested Aug. 25 and charged with driving under the influence and driving while impaired. He served a five-day jail sentence last week for driving while impaired, and the charge of driving under the influence was dropped under a plea agreement.

"Sidney has made it very clear to us that he is committed to turning both his life and his career around," Jocketty said. "He's a tremendous talent who has made mistakes, but he's been making huge strides in trying to return himself to a much better quality of life."

Baltimore released Ponson on Sept. 6 and the team voided his contract, prompting a grievance from the players' association seeking he be paid the remaining $11 million called for in the Orioles' contract. The case is scheduled to be heard in March by arbitrator Shyam Das.

If the 29-year-old right-hander wins the grievance, the players' association probably would argue that he is owed the money from his St. Louis contract in addition to the Baltimore deal. Management, if Ponson prevails, likely would say that any money paid by the Cardinals should be offset against the Orioles' contract.

Ponson, the opening day starter for the Orioles in 2004, will compete for the rotation slot vacated when Matt Morris left to sign with the San Francisco Giants. The Cardinals also have rookie Anthony Reyes under consideration.

That surplus could enable the Cardinals to deal one of their starters, perhaps arbitration-eligible Jason Marquis, for a corner outfielder. They have openings in left and right field after Reggie Sanders left as a free agent and Larry Walker retired.

For now, Jocketty said the Cardinals have a "big six."

"I think the idea is to go to spring training and have a competition and see," Jocketty said. "What it does provide is some insurance if we feel Anthony is not ready."

St. Louis gave Ponson a full no-trade clause. He would earn $300,000 each for 24, 26, 28, 30 and 32 starts.

A native of Aruba, Ponson has a career record of 76-91 with a 4.81 ERA. But he has 28 complete games since 1999, fourth-best among active pitchers and was a 17-game winner in 2003.

Ponson was charged in January with driving under the influence in Florida, and he spent 11 days in an Aruban jail after he hit a judge during a Christmas Day fight at a beach in his home country.

In other news, the Cardinals agreed to minor league contracts with first baseman/outfielder Brian Daubach and right-handed pitcher John Riedling.

Daubach, who lives in nearby O'Fallon, Ill., appeared in 15 games last year for the New York Mets and batted .325 with 16 homers and 62 RBIs in 99 games at Triple-A Norfolk. Riedling made 29 relief appearances for the Marlins last season and was 4-1 with a 7.16 ERA.

The Cardinals did not offer contracts to infielder Bo Hart and Scott Seabol, catcher Mike Mahoney and pitcher Mike Lincoln prior to Tuesday night's deadline. They also sent right-hander Rhett Parrott outright to Triple-A Memphis.

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.

Updated on Wednesday, Dec 21, 200

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

It looks like the cards are gonna be a great team to fade this year along with the Yankees.