Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    there has to be a limit on corn value, for example if corn was $100/ear it would be quite difficult to protect around here in wisconsin/iowa where there are literally miles of corn fields with nobody in sight

to the contrary, even if gold was $1 million/ounce nobody would see mine right out in the open

This is a PRIME EXAMPLE of why Corn is so undervalued currently!!

At current prices(and remember this is a huge bull market right now for corn), what do you think the value of ONE EAR OF CORN is?

GO

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

well at 6.50 or so/bushel and 50-60 ears/bushel that would make an ear of corn worth about .10?

it could easily go to $1/ear or so but too much beyond that and people might be stealing it with pickup trucks or growing their own

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

This is a PRIME EXAMPLE of why Corn is so undervalued currently!!

At current prices(and remember this is a huge bull market right now for corn), what do you think the value of ONE EAR OF CORN is?

GO

Give or take a couple cents, the average ear of corn is worth 20 CENTS!............nice to see you forecasting $100 per ear in the near future..........................

Fishhead

well at 6.50 or so/bushel and 50-60 ears/bushel that would make an ear of corn worth about .10?

it could easily go to $1/ear or so but too much beyond that and people might be stealing it with pickup trucks or growing their own

Mike, the majority of corn is SEED CORN...........not POPCORN or SWEET CORN.

If one steals 100 ears of SEED CORN, where will they be selling it, at the local grain elevator????..........oh, and how will they shell it????

milwaukee mike

good point fishhead
    but there is always a black market somewhere for things of value, maybe i'll open up a seed corn pawn shop if corn gets that high

Fishhead

good point fishhead
    but there is always a black market somewhere for things of value, maybe i'll open up a seed corn pawn shop if corn gets that high

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

these things do go in 10 year cycles
    from 1980-1989 you wanted bonds
    from 1990-1999 you wanted stocks
    from 2000-2009 you wanted gold/silver or bonds

from 2010-2019 ???
    so far it looks like stocks and/or commodities again but who knows
    Look up "Kondratieff winter". While Kondratieff waves is not an academically accepted theory, it seems that applying its principles helps guys like this to call the market direction fairly well. Ian Gordon: Bundle Up for Bitter Kondratieff Winter.

Fishhead

When everyone is paying 40% more for groceries in a few months..........we will see how everyone likes gold.

They will be unloading it off at pawn shops right and left so they can purchase what???........you guessed it, numerous food products directly related to corn.

Fishhead

Floods in Australia and a heat wave in Argentina are absolutely destroying huge supplies of corn as we type....................

We may be just a few weeks away from a major FOOD CRISIS.

Stock up now if you can afford it.......

maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you see no economic recovery on sight...gold is the ticket. Otherwise go for the platinum, it can jump easy $500 an once the recovery kicks in. In fact, 10 days ago, APMEX was having no platinum in stock.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE
    nobs's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah agree. A lot of good bets out there right now

milwaukee mike

gold and silver still cheap and still flying.
    corn getting "creamed" for the 2nd day out of the last 3 - at least it's not limit down (yet)

Outlawdino
    Outlawdino's Avatar Become A Pro!

When Nobs posted this silver was $29.55 ozt...for the past few weeks it's been around $32-33...it keeps growing.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Outlawdino, For the record, when I posted this silver was $16.00 an ounce. It has more than doubled since I posted this thread.

I admit I never expected it to jump this far this fast.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

oh shit, ur right this is a different thread.

I posted a different silver thread when it was $16.

Kind of expecting a drop in silver, but who knows with us adding $1 + trillion to the debt every year silver may be $100 an ounce sy 2015.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by nobs View Post
    oh shit, ur right this is a different thread.

I posted a different silver thread when it was $16.

Kind of expecting a drop in silver, but who knows with us adding $1 + trillion to the debt every year silver may be $100 an ounce sy 2015.

i think you are right with silver eventually hitting $100. took a big position at $15 and $16 as a long term investment.

Outlawdino
    Outlawdino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawdino View Post
    When Nobs posted this silver was $29.55 ozt...for the past few weeks it's been around $32-33...it keeps growing.

Oops a daisy....silver over $34...gold over $1420...these are numbers to consider, not fade....99% of the public have been fading for 10++ yrs...hasn't worked well for them.

Fishhead

corn

corn

corn

xkgb
    IN THREAD
    xkgb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23

im not even going to read your post, assuming here you like gold/silver in the long run? I would stay away from the long term, but cash in on worlds instabilities here....As long as economies collapse, gold is going to be a winner, but seeing Dollar strengthen, and economies starting to recover , i believe gold has had its day for a while....I think its near max of wat u can expect, i think within next 5-10 years we going to see gold DROP in value , barring WWIII, or apocolypse in 2012

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

I told you fukks

Gold

Gold

Gold

prices continue to climb

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by xkgb View Post
    im not even going to read your post, assuming here you like gold/silver in the long run? I would stay away from the long term, but cash in on worlds instabilities here....As long as economies collapse, gold is going to be a winner, but seeing Dollar strengthen, and economies starting to recover , i believe gold has had its day for a while....I think its near max of wat u can expect, i think within next 5-10 years we going to see gold DROP in value , barring WWIII, or apocolypse in 2012

Yeah there has to be a drop in there somewhere. Nothing can go up forever.

I see the economy is improving a lot, but I dont think dollar can strengthen much as long as we are running 1.5 trillion a year in deficits. Thats mind boggling and there is no end in sight to 1 trillion + yearly deficits

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

corn

corn

corn

No law says you cant take corn and silver both. In fact, they say dont put all your eggs in one basket so how about corn and silver.

GGZOLA
    GGZOLA's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you can afford it, buy as much gold as you can...wish i did
    Instead of blowing it on crooked sports

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Silver $45 an ounce. Getting close to all time high.

Just unbelievable

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Jim Rogers is perfect for this thread, one of the most interesting investors alive today.

He loves silver and agriculture as investments, is always encouraging maria bartiromo and everyone to become farmers.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by nobs View Post
    Yeah there has to be a drop in there somewhere. Nothing can go up forever.

I see the economy is improving a lot, but I dont think dollar can strengthen much as long as we are running 1.5 trillion a year in deficits. Thats mind boggling and there is no end in sight to 1 trillion + yearly deficits
    "nothing can go up forever"??
    with a comment like that you still don't get it. gold/silver aren't going up, the value of the dollar and other phony paper currencies is going down, like it has done every single time throughout history.

name one paper currency that has held it's own value - there is always inflation which is part of the ponzi scheme of fiat money.
    i would much rather hold hard assets, gold, and silver for the long-term than dollars which i KNOW ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LOSE VALUE. anyone that held paper money under their mattress for the last 50 years has no buying power, even in the worst bear markets for gold/silver you are better off than holding paper money that loses value every single day of the year through inflation.

imagine having $100,000 in cash in a safe deposit box 40 years ago. you could've bought two 4000 square foot houses ON the water with that money. now even with a huge drop in housing prices you can't buy a shack near the water.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Jim Rogers is perfect for this thread, one of the most interesting investors alive today.

He loves silver and agriculture as investments, is always encouraging maria bartiromo and everyone to become farmers.

Been pumping farmland for 8 years on these forums(mainly at 2+2)

milwaukee mike

farmland is great right up until the point when the government tells you that you can only produce crops in a partnership with monsanto (which will happen soon). iowa is in the process of making it illegal to video tape the atrocities taking place at farms
    http://ppjg.wordpress.com/2011/04/18...n-your-rights/

farming is still a better idea than going to college and coming out with $100k in debt only to find a job that pays much less than farming would...

BigDaddy
    BigDaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 729

how much should a pawn shop give you for silver?

gregm

farmland is great right up until the point when the government tells you that you can only produce crops in a partnership with monsanto (which will happen soon). iowa is in the process of making it illegal to video tape the atrocities taking place at farms
    http://ppjg.wordpress.com/2011/04/18...n-your-rights/

farming is still a better idea than going to college and coming out with $100k in debt only to find a job that pays much less than farming would...
    That article is unreal. Thanks for posting this Mike

BigDaddy
    BigDaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 729

let me ask this question better

i have a silver necklace that has 925 on it so it's silver and i don't want to get ripped off so what should i expect to get for it

i do not know the weight so if you could tell me what each gram or ounce would get me it would be appreciated

thank you

milwaukee mike

you should be getting $44/ounce but when it's not coinage they usually take 30% or more off the top.

so for example if it were 100% silver and it weighed 3 ounces i think anything around $80-90 would be fair. keep in mind they would have to melt it down and convert it to something saleable (and make a profit doing that).

GGZOLA
    GGZOLA's Avatar Become A Pro!

take your silver and weigh it. Lets say, 10 gram ring you have. Dont forget its .925, so multiply by this gives you 9.25 pure grams of silver. If silver is $45.00 an ounce, divide the price by 31.10. This gives you the price per gram. So each gram of silver you own is worth about $1.45.
    Suggestion---do NOT sell any silver now. I deal with precious metals brokers, and I know a guy who has a 200-kilo back order of silver. Another dealer said he has none to sell me. Everyone is demanding and dealers either arent selling, or adding $1.00 premium (bought 6 kilos at 46.00 an ounce today) or saying they are out. It is going to skyrocket, possibly hit 70-80 by years end IMO. If you can buy silver, buy as much as you can now, it still not too late. Being in downtown l.a., all gold jewelers are selling their gold businesses and turrning to silver because it has much higher markups. No one can afford gold jewelry anymore, so all jewelers going into silver biz.

gregm

Been pumping farmland for 8 years on these forums(mainly at 2+2)
    Fishead, you were and are right on the money there. You are probably familiar with Jim Rogers and he is saying exactly what you are saying about commodities. Produce something of value! I dont share his pessimistic forecast on stocks at all , especially tech stocks, but commodities is a fascinating world to be in.

Chicago trading should be on msnbc and bloomberg alot more often over the next few years.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

invest in Silver Wheaton

First 1234 Last