Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

This Is What I See Happening To Solve The NBA Rest Issue In The Future

I see superstar players sitting out until Christmas. This cuts 20-25 games off their season, and then they will play the rest of the season with 1 or 2 days off for the rest of the year. It could very well effect their seeding, but people like LeBron aren't too concerned about that anyway. If it goes this route, you could very well see the demise of "superteams" with 3 or more all stars.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

Charles Barkley has always been one to shoot as straight as an arrow. So when it comes to a controversial topic like that of resting NBA players on back-to-backs you know he's got something interesting to say.

At an SMU athletic forum on Wednesday, Barkley commended the NBA, in as sarcastic a manner as possible, for extending the season and reducing the amount of back-to-back games players would have to endure.

"I want to commend the NBA," Barkley said. "You know, these poor babies can't play back-to-back games." He then went on to commend the NBA -- again, sarcastically -- for not putting stress on the players, especially given their pay scale.

"We want to make it convenient for them," Barkley said. "At $40 million a year, we can't stress 'em out."

League commissioner Adam Silver acknowledged earlier this spring that resting players in the NBA is still a significant issue, and one that he's set guidelines on this offseason to try and combat.

"Where we're heading is the adoption of guidelines that will be in place for next season which will strongly recommend that the extent they rest, they rest at home, and teams also not rest multiple starters on the same night," Silver said. "Let's see how that plays out."

These new guidelines, in theory, will prevent teams from resting players on the road (when it might be a fan's only chance to see that team), as well as from sitting out entire units of star players during nationally televised games. It should improve the fan experience both at home and for paying customers at events. But for Barkley, well, he's still not quite satisfied with the changes to the NBA season. But at least he'll call it like he sees it.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Meh non issue, coach can rest who he likes when he likes imo. All that matters is the post season and getting there. That's what you get when you have a playoff system to decide the champ instead of a league winner.

If I coached that GSW team I'd have those guys resting as much as I could playing on rotation as a solid NBA team. End of the day no one cares if you win the regular season by x amount of games it's winning trophies or at least getting close to 'em.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Need to get home court it is why regular season important as it makes playoff run a little easier

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by Mase of Base View Post
    Meh non issue, coach can rest who he likes when he likes imo. All that matters is the post season and getting there. That's what you get when you have a playoff system to decide the champ instead of a league winner.

If I coached that GSW team I'd have those guys resting as much as I could playing on rotation as a solid NBA team. End of the day no one cares if you win the regular season by x amount of games it's winning trophies or at least getting close to 'em.
    I think this issue is bigger than the coach. This is an integrity issue of the sport and the nba has to protect their brand, sometimes even from what's in the best interest of coaches or players.

It's not an easy question to answer but one that has to be addressed

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Fewer games would make a better product

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

My favorite part of betting on the NBA is waiting for a team to mail it in with effort or resting stars.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

cut way back on practices on off days. they don't need to practice running up and down a gym floor and shooting a basketball into a net is so easy for all them anyway. they can do a light practice in their pre-game warmups if necessary and maybe it will sink in better. just don't allow the opponent to see it if you're concerned about that.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Barkley is a buffoon. He has become a fatter and darker Skip Bayless. Chuck neglecting to mention all of the games he suited up for and took the court but mailed it in. Same as sitting out.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

The problem IMO is the regular season dont mean sheeeawt. The NBA markets these guys on their per game numbers so there is no chance of them playing 23 min per night. There are so many games and so many shitty teams that it didnt matter if the Cavs are an 8th seed in the East. Its not that different of a route to the finals.

How about if they get rid of conference playoffs?! Then Boston or Cleveland doesnt get to play the cream puff off the playoffs, the Warriors do. Then the race is tighter and there are more of those fun end of season games that decide who goes home. Plus who wants to see a 7 game series with 2 teams that just ended the regular season playing each other twice.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25244

ZERO games would make a better NBA product.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    The problem IMO is the regular season dont mean sheeeawt. The NBA markets these guys on their per game numbers so there is no chance of them playing 23 min per night. There are so many games and so many shitty teams that it didnt matter if the Cavs are an 8th seed in the East. Its not that different of a route to the finals.

How about if they get rid of conference playoffs?! Then Boston or Cleveland doesnt get to play the cream puff off the playoffs, the Warriors do. Then the race is tighter and there are more of those fun end of season games that decide who goes home. Plus who wants to see a 7 game series with 2 teams that just ended the regular season playing each other twice.
    Exactly.

If both ownership and players can work with a potential revenue reduction in exchange for a shorter season, it would make for a far better product for everyone. 66-70 regular season games would be enough. Tweak playoffs so the final 2 seeds get chosen in a 1 and done tourney of bottom 16 teams. Those that don't get in are lottery teams but penalize teams with less of the league revenue sharing and an extra cap tax for being in lottery more than 3 straight seasons. The mini tourney also gives the better teams almost a week of rest between regular season and playoffs.

If not for the logistic issues of draft I would start the season the week of Christmas and let finals finish early August. Can't have kids waiting from March until late Aug at earliest to know their status and can't have draft during playoffs.

Silver seems progressive and willing to implement change in the game. Also is a big advocate for legalizing sports betting. I could also see the NBA being first of the big leagues to declassify marijuana as a banned substance.

Game has the potential to be so much better than it currently is.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16005

Shortening the NBA season wont increase the intensity of games. Players are regular human beings/ they have lives ...you can expect them to give it their all in a playoff but not week after week after week when playing for seeding.

Besides which making the off-season longer makes the league less relevant and depletes the revenue pie. Horrible idea, will never happen, thankfully (i like betting the NBA 9 months a year).

Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Never being sure of who's playing is a pain in the ass for bettors like us.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

Let them figure it out.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

A shorter season would make games more intense but its too big of a change. Its up there with raising the basket height. Too much is built around the schedule. I don't necessarily need to see Curry every time GSW is playing, I just want it to not feel like a exhibition game. Soccer around the world and baseball deal with it. Speaking of soccer, I like relegation. Thats probably another discussion.