Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

Staples Center looks completely different when Lakers are playing

I've always thought this. Do they turn the lights down in the crowd, and the Clippers turn them on? What is it?

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    I've always thought this. Do they turn the lights down in the crowd, and the Clippers turn them on? What is it?

Part of it is the use of track lighting, but the Lakers also make sure to dim the lights that normally go on the crowd as well.

The Clippers don't pay for the track lighting and the rigging of the other lights, so they're not allowed to use it.

Staples Center and MSG are the only NBA arenas that do this if I'm not mistaken.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

When construction started on the $2.6-billion stadium for the Rams and Chargers last year, Bobby Bhagat figured his family’s commitment to Inglewood would finally pay off.

For more than 40 years, they’ve owned the Rodeway Inn and Suites on busy Century Boulevard. The tidy 36-room property sits across the street from the 298 acres where the vast sports and entertainment district is starting to take shape.

“We’ve got a gold mine now that the stadium is coming,” said Bhagat, whose father and uncle originally purchased the building. “This is what we worked for. We’ve been waiting for something like this to happen. Now with the Clippers project, it’s all up in the air.”

The family’s gold mine could face a bulldozer.

When a Clippers-controlled company and Inglewood agreed in June to explore building an arena, the 22-page deal sent panic through the neighborhood. Some residents are praying for the project to fail, losing sleep, participating in protests, consulting lawyers.

All this because of the legalese buried in the agreement broaching the possibility of using eminent domain to supplement land already owned by the city. The site map attached to the document shows 100 “potential participating parcels” over a four-block area where the arena might be built. Eminent domain allows cities and other government agencies to pay fair market value to take private property from residents or business owners against their wishes for public uses.

The map doesn’t indicate there are an estimated 2,000 to 4,000 people, predominately Latino, who live in the four-block area. Same for the scores of children — schools are a short walk away — and blue-collar residents who have been in the same houses for decades. Many residences include multiple generations of the same family. The median income hovers around $30,000.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...813-story.html

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10886

Dude it's football now
    Let it rest