BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I would take Boston over Philly. Yankees, maybe.

I might even take Texas over Philly.

pennsylvania209
    pennsylvania209's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

They will get beat in the playoffs.

imp4pdabest
    imp4pdabest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

They're definitely a very well rounded team. I think the Red Sox & Yankees edge them in terms of offense, & you can make an argument SF has a pitching crew just as strong. But they find a way to win, & I'm very impressed with their road record.

FishFace5
    FishFace5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    beckett's having a great season no doubt but let's face it...everyone, particularly red sox fans, are waiting for the other shoe to drop with him...his era is almost a run lower than his next best season and that was nearly 10 years ago he will fall apart very soon it's not like lee and halladay havent done it in BOTH leagues and who are you gonna compare to hamels? bedard?
    You forgot to mention his WS MVP and ALCS MVP.
    I dont think that anybody is expecting the "other shoe to drop" except for you.
    Im a big Yankee fan and I personally cringe every time I see this **** on the mound

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

The irony of this is how in the thread title compares the Philles to the Mariners, who did not win the World Series. Which has not been mentioned

MrShrink
    MrShrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I would take Boston over Philly. Yankees, maybe. I might even take Texas over Philly.

In a 7 game series? I would LOVE to be your baseball bookie.

As far as this AL E Offense VS Phillies offense debate goes..... If you haven't paid EXTREMELY close attention to the Phillies at the plate all season long, you really don't understand how they are in far superior shape for the postseason than they have been alllllll season long (and in years, actually). You really just have to trust us on this one.

MrShrink

*was referring to that TEX thing, specifically, btw...

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

No.

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Can't call the Mariners a great team even in 2001. All those wins didn't get them a world series ring.

MrShrink

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    The irony of this is how in the thread title compares the Philles to the Mariners, who did not win the World Series. Which has not been mentioned

.... Good point. Lets not bring up the Cubs.... I must admit that I'm slightly worried about how they will transition into the postseason if they have the east all locked up with 2 weeks to go. That was definitely a prob last year, and they didn't have that kind of lead.

imp4pdabest
    imp4pdabest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Tex is a team that relies on offense. They will get broken down once they hit the road. Sorry, Rangers ain't enough.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Vance Worley will be in the Bullpen in the playoffs, which will only make their pen much better.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by FishFace5 View Post
    You forgot to mention his WS MVP and ALCS MVP. I dont think that anybody is expecting the "other shoe to drop" except for you. Im a big Yankee fan and I personally cringe every time I see this **** on the mound
    yeah of course....why would anyone NOT expect a 31 year old pitcher to suddenly improve his career best era by nearly a full run?

makes perfect sense

MrShrink

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Vance Worley will be in the Bullpen in the playoffs, which will only make their pen much better.

Worley will someday be to Hamels what Hamels is to Halladay now.... Better #'s, but behind him in the rotation due to experience and how he handles situations. Worley is sooooooo much better than people realise.

FishFace5

yeah of course....why would anyone NOT expect a 31 year old pitcher to suddenly improve his career best era by nearly a full run? makes perfect sense
    Not at all guy. Clearly hes having a fantastic regular season, I could certainly see his ERA slipping over the next month and a half.
    But that doesnt qualify as "the shoe dropping" or whatever phrase you went with. Beckett is a stud in the playoffs. If you're expecting him to get tired or overwhelmed you're way off base.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Not at all guy. Clearly hes having a fantastic regular season, I could certainly see his ERA slipping over the next month and a half. But that doesnt qualify as "the shoe dropping" or whatever phrase you went with. Beckett is a stud in the playoffs. If you're expecting him to get tired or overwhelmed you're way off base.
    i'll bet you 100 pts that his era from today til the end of the regular season is over 4

by the way, considering how awful your argument is i wouldnt expect you to be a condescending douche

FishFace5

i'll bet you 100 pts that his era from today til the end of the regular season is over 4 by the way, considering how awful your argument is i wouldnt expect you to be a condescending douche
    excuse me... condescending douche??? wtf are you talking about.
    Sorry I'm disagreeing the phillies are some how a superteam and I disagree Beckett will crash and burn before the end of the season.
    Learn how to have a debate without catching feelings captain sensitive..... and just for the record you're argument has as many holes as swiss cheese, lets recap
    NL is as good as AL = FALSE, I dont give a shit about you're bullshit interleague stats, AL is the stronger league from top to bottom.
    Halladay\Lee is significantly better than beckett\ lester = FALSE.
    Phillies are best team in baseball = FALSE, If we see Sox \ Phillies in WS the Sox will be the favorite.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

excuse me... condescending douche??? wtf are you talking about. Sorry I'm disagreeing the phillies are some how a superteam and I disagree Beckett will crash and burn before the end of the season. Learn how to have a debate without catching feelings captain sensitive..... and just for the record you're argument has as many holes as swiss cheese, lets recap NL is as good as AL = FALSE, I dont give a shit about you're bullshit interleague stats, AL is the stronger league from top to bottom. Halladay\Lee is significantly better than beckett\ lester = FALSE. Phillies are best team in baseball = FALSE, If we see Sox \ Phillies in WS the Sox will be the favorite.
    youre a moron

make the bet or stfu

or we can bet on who wins it

pick one

FishFace5

^^^
    Great answer cheech.
    I like debating, I'm a grown up though, I dont find it necessary to throw insults if others disagree with my opinions.
    I have no interest in betting on who wins WS, I'll have plenty of money on every game.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

why would i debate when you're throwing out head to head stats over 252 games?

that's the definition of relevant comparison

yet you guys want to talk about the bottom two teams in the nl as the basis for comparing the leagues

why would i debate stupidity?
    Last edited by InTheDrink; 08-10-11 at 01:48 AM.

FishFace5

^^
    are you kidding me guy??
    It wasnt even me who quoted those stats. I'm not a stat guy. Although I would argue against you that the posters argument was idiotic.
    I argued against you that Beckett was going to fall off. I argued against you the Phillies would be the favorite the rest of the way to win the WS. I argued against you when you claimed the phillies top 2 were significantly better than the sox top 2.
    Jeezus christ guy, this thread is only on page 2 and 2 hours old. How the **** do you not know who you're even debating with?

MrShrink

How the **** do you not know who you're even debating with?

Alright... You guys lost me.... Peace.... hahaaha...

Soxxx420
    Big money
    Soxxx420's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phillies will go far, but will fall in the post season

Cranium
    Cranium's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1439

1998 Braves are the best team in the last 40 years...

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

if they go .500 the rest of the way, they still go over 100 wins. they are great.

Ratzz
    Ratzz's Avatar Become A Pro!

i would say better, because the 2001 Mariners didn't have so may good-loooking guys,,

the starting rotation definitely has better backsides than the Mariners.. (tighter)
    and this is significant, because it distracts runners on 2nd.. (if they are there)
    and holds them up a bit...

which leads them to be thrown out at 3rd or at home

Ratzz
    Ratzz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I would take Boston over Philly. Yankees, maybe.

I might even take Texas over Philly.
    how could the yAnkies EVER beat this Philly team?!?!

First 12