adastra
    adastra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 852

A noob hello and an easy question, I hope

Hello everyone! I am totally new to sports betting - I haven't yet placed my first bet. Here is a question I have...

If I see a free tip from some skilled handicapper that goes like:

Slight edge
    NBA
    Indiana +8.5

...or:

Pass or Bet
    NFL
    Chicago +9

What do these mean? If I wanted to place a little bet on either of these tips, what should be the least odds that I should try to find? Thanks for any ideas.
    Last edited by adastra; 11-14-14 at 09:49 PM.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I'll gladly answer your question if you can tell me why you consider this handicapper offering tips to be "skilled."

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14044

some of these skilled cappers say documented oh yea by who

adastra

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    I'll gladly answer your question if you can tell me why you consider this handicapper offering tips to be "skilled."

Thanks for your reply. I saw that this capper has been posting picks regularly for years on a different sports betting forum and also has a blog and twitter feed with picks. He seems to have a good reputation, but I obviously cannot say that for sure...

Two pence for your thoughts? :-) Do you think that good free picks exist?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by adastra View Post
    Hello everyone! I am totally new to sports betting - I haven't yet placed my first bet. Here is a question I have...

If I see a free tip from some skilled handicapper that goes like:

Slight edge
    NBA
    Indiana +8.5

...or:

Pass or Bet
    NFL
    Chicago +9

What do these mean? If I wanted to place a little bet on either of these tips, what should be the least odds that I should try to find? Thanks for any ideas.

As far as your tipster goes, you’ll have to ask him (or her) what a slight edge means.

As far as what are the least odds you should take, that question, phrased that way, implies you have indeed placed a bet or are not as green as you say.

But I’ll bite…

If you are buying Indiana based on tipster, don’t buy +8 but take +8.5 or larger (like +9).

If you plan to buy Chicago…this could be trickier. This is specific to the tipster. Perhaps +8.5 aren’t enough, or perhaps it is. Generally, if a bettor likes +9 in the NFL, he really wants +10 but wouldn’t be all that hurt by taking as low as +7.5 points. In the big picture, there aren’t a whole lot of 8 or 9 point games in the NFL.

It all depends on how Tipster reached his conclusions.

That’s why you should rely on your own work as you know how you reached your conclusions.

I would be wary of the Pass or Bet advice, which seems indecisive and tells me your handicapper is crap.

Finally, free picks are about as good as the ones you pay for. Hehehehe

adastra

Thanks for your reply. And you are right in thinking that I am not new to betting - I have a background in poker. But I am just now learning about sports betting.

Anyhow, I will risk just a little bit of money to get my feet wet and see how it goes. Cheers.

totovski
    totovski's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1056

Thanks for your reply. And you are right in thinking that I am not new to betting - I have a background in poker. But I am just now learning about sports betting.

Anyhow, I will risk just a little bit of money to get my feet wet and see how it goes. Cheers.
    How did it go?

adastra

I bet really small amounts on five NFL games and went 3-2. So I'm up overall. :-) It's a good start, lol.

totovski
    totovski's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1056

I bet really small amounts on five NFL games and went 3-2. So I'm up overall. :-) It's a good start, lol.
    Keep it up