Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Single biggest problem in the NBA right now -- Tanking. What to do?

I'm surprised this wasn't more rampant before, since the lottery has been around for decades now.

Teams are now making no real bones about it. Organizations were a lot more slick about it back in the day, giving big minutes to guys like Baron Davis, Rudy Gay and Stefan Marbury, who were exciting players, but were awful team guys and you couldn't actually win with them. That was the covert way to tank. Now, you have people like Magic Johnson openly saying to tank and tank hard.

This really is awful for the NBA going forward. It's terrible for the players, and even worse for the fans. As intelligent as Adam Silver is, this problem could even go beyond his problem-solving abilities.

Do any of you have a realistic solution to this? You can't punish it, because you can't actually prove it's truly happening, even when it's obvious to most.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

I dont see tanking in effort, rather just throwing a bad team out there knowing they are gonna lose, only team I see doing that is Philly, Minny may be doing it also.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    I dont see tanking in effort, rather just throwing a bad team out there knowing they are gonna lose, only team I see doing that is Philly, Minny may be doing it also.
    They don't need to tank, they're already bad. How could they even try to do better right now?

Now widespread pressure is being put on teams like the Lakers to purposely do it, (even though they're bad too). Pressure should be coming down the pike for the Knicks and Nets to do the same at some point this season.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Answer is simple don't bet say the bottom 5 teams. I have a list of 3 for sure I absolutely will not touch and fade only. Tanking or not these teams are terrible , trash gutless players, and no leadership/killers on the roster. Detroit, Nyk, Philly in Phillys case they are just young basically a glorified D-1 college team with a few great potential prospects. Couple other teams I keep a close watch on and tend to avoid but those 3 are a deathtrap and you gotta be a sucker or severe action junkie to go near them with real $$. Bol

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

i could be wrong, but i think the worst teams have been given a better chance to win the lottery in recent years