BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The Three Types of 'Capping

If you are a pro, you know this, but since there are many amateurs in here, it is worth repeating. There are three types of 'Cappers.

1. Fundamentalists. These are the people who buy every single publication and read every word. They base their entire wagering lives on what people like Phil Steele have to say about new and returning players. Most players fall into this catagory.

2. Situational. These players determine the situation that a team faces. Are they playing the second of two away games? Are they playing a good team sandwiched in between two poor teams. Are they playing a poor team at home sandwiched in between two good teams away.

3. Technical. These players use angles and trends exclusively. Mark Lawrence is a Technical 'Capper. Stats include all information but are normally based on ATS results. For example: Georgia is 0-6 ATS in their last 6 games vs South Carolina, though their S/U record is 2-4. Fresno State is 0-5 ATS as dogs of 5 or more points in the second of Back to Back away games.

The successful 'Capper will use all three tools to handicap. Most people put a lot of weight on the fundamental side, and yet this is the toughest of the three to figure out. What happens if some young lady threatens to expose Manziel of A&M for something he did just before the Ole Miss game? He will not miss the game, but you know that his head may be someplace else.

Remember that a lot of these things are going to cancle each other out, which is a good thing, because they eliminate 80% of the games that you may be looking at. That leaves you with a much smaller choice, but a choice that has much more positive backing and info in it. 60% is the goal. Anything under 53% is a loser. That is what you must remember.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: WorkHorse

bamaatlsu
    bamaatlsu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5310

Solid post.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Excellent post.

I'd like to add one thought.

Being able to adjust your data as the season grows is equally important as any situational, technical, or fundamental style of capping.

I've seen solid cappers, who get a bad beat or 3, and suddenly they are throwing away every edge they have computed, failing to take into consideration the human element that can cause a bad beat.

Solid post.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

All gamblers fall into three categories. Those that:

1. Makes Things Happen.
    2. Watch Things Happen.
    3. Wonder What Happened.

Simple but true.

bamaatlsu
    bamaatlsu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5310

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    All gamblers fall into three categories. Those that:

1. Makes Things Happen.
    2. Watch Things Happen.
    3. Wonder What Happened.

Simple but true.
    I would add
    4. Those that check SBR Forum each week for biggest 'can't lose' pick...and then fade the shit out of it.

Simple but true

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

I also feel that it is also important for gamblers to be realistic. For instance, 60% is a nice goal and is certainly achievable short term, but I think that too many think this is status quo. Anyone that can win at 55% ATS long term is one good handicapper in my opinion.

I think that any gambler that has been around for a while goes into each season with a "game plan" that is tried and tested. Once committed, it is important to stick to the plan....negative variance cannot be avoided. The best of gamblers deal with it.

To truly be a successful sports bettor is a very time consuming process. To "make things happen" is much easier said than done. If one decides to tail or use someone's expertise......DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Bankroll management and discipline are also important keys to success.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not sure I entirely agree with #1. It's not about reading Phil Steele's opinions. Fundamental capping is about forming your own opinions directly from research on players/teams. Being Phil Steele, not relying on him.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife