brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

LSU/Alabama Game

as much as I enjoyed that game, you SEC homers gotta admit there was a lot of mediocre offensive play in the game that resulted in such a low scoring affair (mainly a lot of mediocre QB play - I think you put weeden, kellen moore or Luck on either team and they would have won something like 24-10)

We all watched The Ravens Steelers game today (which featured the 2 greatest defenses in the world) and there was still 43 points scored because both QBs capitalized on opportunities

That to me is the reason why I think both Boise and Stanford can give LSU a very good game - Both teams have enough talent on defense to hold LSU below 30 points and they can score 20-27 points themselves

Coach Jake
    Winning
    Coach Jake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 480

Stanford would get crushed by LSU if they played right now

Bennett
    Bennett's Avatar Become A Pro!

I know most of America crushed this game. The NFL is a passing league, and then you have other college teams putting up alot of passing numbers.

The bottom line is this; the SEC has more future NFL players than other conferences; as a whole. If Stanford or OK St would have played Bama Sat; they score 13 points at best.. LSU gave up 96 yards rushing... How much do you think OK St gives up if they are playing instead of LSU's defense?

At the end of the day, LSU still had 148 yards rushing vs Bama. They had the playmakers to get it done at crunch time. My point is; college teams don't have to have a QB like Luck putting up huge numbers to win a title. You can have a stellar Def, run the ball, and have a QB throw 17 times and win.. it is what it is. People don't like that this day and age, but it's fact.

The issue for Stanford, OK St, or Boise is; they just don't have the athletes to beat LSU or Bama. When one of them play what should be LSU; they will score 14 points max on their Def. Then LSU would rush for over 275 yards, throw for 125 yards, and score 35 on Stanford, OK St, or Boise Defense... and SEC wins another title because soft teams show up to play them.

If you think that either of those three teams Def and Off front lines can handle the front lines of LSU or Bama; then you just don't know football. You can have the second coming of Manning all you want; but he can't throw from his back, and he can't throw when the Def line is pushing his Offensive line back into his lap.

The fact is; Stanford, OK St, Boise, etc. have 2 maybe 3 NFL prospects; LSU/Bama has 7-9; which is why the SEC always ends up winning these games...and most aren't close. So America will just have to live with a title winner being an old school, running, Defensive team; that throws 20 passes or less.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-07-11 at 07:55 AM.

Dr Nostron
    Dr Nostron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10978

I'm not gonna go back and look it up - but didnt West Virginia and Oregon move the ball up and down the field on LSU - just shot themselves in the foot with costly turnovers etc?

Lawn Trash
    Lawn Trash's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think both teams looked not up to par all Alabama could do was run. All Lsu could do was throw two nice passes and not complete a second 1st down to get any further down field. Poor and boring game on both parts i had been looking forward to this match up for a while and i am a gator fan.

TheBetBuysDanK
    Stackin'
    TheBetBuysDanK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Youre underestimating the strength of the stanford o-line. I believe either stan, boise, or ok state would score more points on lsu than bama did. As great as the tiger D is.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I know most of America crushed this game. The NFL is a passing league, and then you have other college teams putting up alot of passing numbers.

The bottom line is this; the SEC has more future NFL players than other conferences; as a whole. If Stanford or OK St would have played Bama Sat; they score 13 points at best.. LSU gave up 96 yards rushing... How much do you think OK St gives up if they are playing instead of LSU's defense?

At the end of the day, LSU still had 148 yards rushing vs Bama. They had the playmakers to get it done at crunch time. My point is; college teams don't have to have a QB like Luck putting up huge numbers to win a title. You can have a stellar Def, run the ball, and have a QB throw 17 times and win.. it is what it is. People don't like that this day and age, but it's fact.

The issue for Stanford, OK St, or Boise is; they just don't have the athletes to beat LSU or Bama. When one of them play what should be LSU; they will score 14 points max on their Def. Then LSU would rush for over 275 yards, throw for 125 yards, and score 35 on Stanford, OK St, or Boise Defense... and SEC wins another title because soft teams show up to play them.

If you think that either of those three teams Def and Off front lines can handle the front lines of LSU or Bama; then you just don't know football. You can have the second coming of Manning all you want; but he can't throw from his back, and he can't throw when the Def line is pushing his Offensive line back into his lap.

The fact is; Stanford, OK St, Boise, etc. have 2 maybe 3 NFL prospects; LSU/Bama has 7-9; which is why the SEC always ends up winning these games...and most aren't close. So America will just have to live with a title winner being an old school, running, Defensive team; that throws 20 passes or less.

You say LSU or Bama will pound the rock and score a bunch of points on teams like Stanford or Boise - well LSU only had 290 yards of offense on Oregon including only 3.6 YPC rushing. They won by 13 because Oregon committed a bunch of turnovers that shot themselves in the foot

and Oregon's defense is much less physical than Boise or Stanford. Boise played Virginia Tech last year and dominated their run game holding them to very little YPC (Virginia tech had a phenomenal run game last year)

I'm telling you kellen moore can put up 21-30 points on LSU, but I dunno how many points LSU can score if Boise doesn't turn the ball over

Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    You say LSU or Bama will pound the rock and score a bunch of points on teams like Stanford or Boise - well LSU only had 290 yards of offense on Oregon including only 3.6 YPC rushing. They won by 13 because Oregon committed a bunch of turnovers that shot themselves in the foot

and Oregon's defense is much less physical than Boise or Stanford. Boise played Virginia Tech last year and dominated their run game holding them to very little YPC (Virginia tech had a phenomenal run game last year)

I'm telling you kellen moore can put up 21-30 points on LSU, but I dunno how many points LSU can score if Boise doesn't turn the ball over
    That's your argument? That was the first game of the season; you don't think LSU isn't a better team at this point than week 1? Really?

I always love the "well they did this". "Well, they turned the ball over" argument as well.. Ever cross your mind other teams make mistakes because of who is on the other side you are playing against?

I'll just skip the point that none; none of these teams have played in close to as many big games as LSU has. Not to mention playing in New Orleans... uh, good luck..

I want to get this correct.. You are telling me, you would bet a large sum of money, on teams that have less than half the talent, have played no big games, played bad teams, can't play Def, in basically a road game, a team that can run the ball, has one of the best SEC defense in the last few years? But other teams have turnovers against LSU; that will never happen again. Is that what you are saying?

Betting everything on another team being able to push around two excellent front lines. Guess you missed all those plays LSU played on Bama's side of the ball. But I guess Stanford, Boise, and OK St have better lines than Bama; maybe they know a secret..

Stanford? Played one.....one legit team this year; gave up 48 points; and should have lost... Wow; what a Def.. Rest of their games don't count; they are high school teams.

And if you think Boise would put up 21-30 on that Defense; you should be protected from yourself from ever making another bet... you guys kill me.

Go drop 1-5k on the vaunted programs of OK ST, Oregon, Boise, or Stanford... let me know how all that works out for you.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-07-11 at 10:26 AM.

brahmabull117

That's your argument? That was the first game of the season; you don't think LSU isn't a better team at this point than week 1? Really?

I always love the "well they did this". "Well, they turned the ball over" argument as well.. Ever cross your mind other teams make mistakes because of who is on the other side you are playing against?

I'll just skip the point that none; none of these teams have played in close to as many big games as LSU has. Not to mention playing in New Orleans... uh, good luck..

I want to get this correct.. You are telling me, you would bet a large sum of money, on teams that have less than half the talent, have played no big games, played bad teams, can't play Def, in basically a road game, a team that can run the ball, has one of the best SEC defense in the last few years? But other teams have turnovers against LSU; that will never happen again. Is that what you are saying?

Betting everything on another team being able to push around two excellent front lines. Guess you missed all those plays LSU played on Bama's side of the ball. But I guess Stanford, Boise, and OK St have better lines than Bama; maybe they know a secret..

Stanford? Played one.....one legit team this year; gave up 48 points; and should have lost... Wow; what a Def.. Rest of their games don't count; they are high school teams.

And if you think Boise would put up 21-30 on that Defense; you should be protected from yourself from ever making another bet... you guys kill me.

Go drop 1-5k on the vaunted programs of OK ST, Oregon, Boise, or Stanford... let me know how all that works out for you.
    I just think ur overrating lsu and underrating other teams in the race

U say stanford played 1 legit team and gave up 48 pts??? That also includes 21 overtime Plus pick 6 pts. Not to mention I would take USC offense over lsu offense in a land slide - barkley over jefferson, u kidding me??

Boise is also a team that would give lsu all they can handle

Bennett

Dude; I honestly am not trying to argue. I never said Jefferson was Barkley; that's idiotic.. I never said that.

What I said was; and listen this time... In college, you can win with a running game and a dominant Def. As I've already said; run the ball, throw it 15-20 times.

Don't you think Alabama's offense, with Richardson, is better than K St? Great, OK St put up 54; but they gave up 45.........to KST. Point is; Alabama doesn't throw all over the place either; they run, then run some more. So you think OK St could stone Bama; then put up passing numbers like vs K St?

I think Luck, Blackmon, and Barkley are excellent QB's. My point is; they don't have the athletes around them, that's all. Do you believe in your heart those guys put up their numbers vs that Def?

People are putting to much into a 9-6 game. It was who they were playing. Come back and post what both LSU/Bama Offense put up the rest of the year... it'll be the same 35 points a game they have scored all year.

I'm not under rating the other teams; I'm saying they don't have the athletes to compete. Watch Patriots play lately? Brady can't do it alone, you need talent. These other teams don't have the talent pool.

I'm saying people undervalue what the LSU Def did to what everybody said was the best Offensive line, and the best player/back in the country in Richardson. Give me your analysis of how OK St would have played at Alabama on Sat.. Love to hear how either Boise or OK St could hold them to 6 points. And people need to understand; you can't make a living in college kicking 45-50 yard FG's. And they were that long because LSU got on their side of the line..

Again; I wish you luck putting down hard earned money on teams being able to handle a proven team in big games, a team that can run the ball, and a team with clearly the best Def this year... that's all I'm saying.

And that includes handling Alabama as well; if the world spins off it's axis and they get it; same song, new verse..

Won't address Boise - Toledo, Colorado St, UNLV, Nevada... come on man. Moore is good; but the country is littered with guys that can put up numbers vs these teams.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-07-11 at 11:26 AM.

brahmabull117

Dude; I honestly am not trying to argue. I never said Jefferson was Barkley; that's idiotic.. I never said that. What I said was; and listen this time... In college, you can win with a running game and a dominant Def. As I've already said; run the ball, throw it 15-20 times. Don't you think Alabama's offense, with Richardson, is better than K St? Great, OK St put up 54; but they gave up 45.........to KST. Point is; Alabama doesn't throw all over the place either; they run, then run some more. So you think OK St could stone Bama; then put up passing numbers like vs K St? I think Luck, Blackmon, and Barkley are excellent QB's. My point is; they don't have the athletes around them, that's all. Do you believe in your heart those guys put up their numbers vs that Def? People are putting to much into a 9-6 game. It was who they were playing. Come back and post what both LSU/Bama Offense put up the rest of the year... it'll be the same 35 points a game they have scored all year. I'm not under rating the other teams; I'm saying they don't have the athletes to compete. Watch Patriots play lately? Brady can't do it alone, you need talent. These other teams don't have the talent pool. I'm saying people undervalue what the LSU Def did to what everybody said was the best Offensive line, and the best player/back in the country in Richardson. Give me your analysis of how OK St would have played at Alabama on Sat.. Love to hear how either Boise or OK St could hold them to 6 points. And people need to understand; you can't make a living in college kicking 45-50 yard FG's. And they were that long because LSU got on their side of the line.. Again; I wish you luck putting down hard earned money on teams being able to handle a proven team in big games, a team that can run the ball, and a team with clearly the best Def this year... that's all I'm saying. And that includes handling Alabama as well; if the world spins off it's axis and they get it; same song, new verse.. Won't address Boise - Toledo, Colorado St, UNLV, Nevada... come on man. Moore is good; but the country is littered with guys that can put up numbers vs these teams.

1)I'm not discussing OKSt in this game. That team is a joke and will get dominated against LSU

2)My point is that I just don't think LSU will have much offensive success against Boise or Stanford. Have you watched the intensity that both those 2 teams play on defense??? Boise held a phenomenal run team in Virginia tech last year to 2.9 yards a carry. Georgia this year??? They were completely dominated at the line of scrimmage - Take away that 1 80 yard run that georgia had, you're looking at 30 carries for about 60 yards (even with the huge run, the YPC was only about 4.4). You really think LSU will lineup and play smash mouth bully football against LSU and Boise?? Come on now

3)My other point is that the difference between these teams is nowhere near as big as SEC homers claim. I'm not denying the greatness of LSU's defense - but their offense is average at best and if they beat Boise/SU, they will have to win something like 21-17...LSU's offense will not generate much offense against either team

Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    1)I'm not discussing OKSt in this game. That team is a joke and will get dominated against LSU

2)My point is that I just don't think LSU will have much offensive success against Boise or Stanford. Have you watched the intensity that both those 2 teams play on defense??? Boise held a phenomenal run team in Virginia tech last year to 2.9 yards a carry. Georgia this year??? They were completely dominated at the line of scrimmage - Take away that 1 80 yard run that georgia had, you're looking at 30 carries for about 60 yards (even with the huge run, the YPC was only about 4.4). You really think LSU will lineup and play smash mouth bully football against LSU and Boise?? Come on now

3)My other point is that the difference between these teams is nowhere near as big as SEC homers claim. I'm not denying the greatness of LSU's defense - but their offense is average at best and if they beat Boise/SU, they will have to win something like 21-17...LSU's offense will not generate much offense against either team
    Hey, I respect your opinion... the top teams have somewhat tough games coming up, so we'll see. Here's a quick response..

LSU played ALABAMA at home. They had a scoring average of 39 points a game prior. You keep saying that LSU has no offense; it's not a fact. They played a pretty good Def Sat. and they struggled. Still rushed for 148 yards. Still not sure how you think any other top team can stop them from rushing for 300; but I guess that doesn't matter.

What I'm saying is; neither Boise, OK St, nor Stanford has enough athletes on Defense to make LSU beat them passing; that's it. They don't have enough Defense to make that happen. So the fact LSU doesn't have an elite QB WON'T matter because these teams aren't capable of making LSU beat them passing.

I'm also not saying LSU would hold these teams to 10 points. Playing any of these teams would end up just like Oregon; 40-24; something like that. You keep thinking any of these teams can stop them from rushing for 300 yards and they can't.

I've referred to the Defense; but don't lose sight that the LSU offensive line can play as well. I do think Stanford is a quality team; but again, not enough athletes to compete.

Talent trumps scheme every time. These other teams don't have the talent; you are focusing on one or two players.

You clearly like the other teams over the SEC teams. All I'm saying is; I wish you well betting on those teams vs any proven team with more NFL prospects, that's all.

And I'd be careful about betting on "intensity" and "they did this last year"... This is 2011. I don't bring up anything LSU did to someone 2 or 4 years ago; not valid.

And Boise isn't as good a team as they were last year. Still can't believe you put stock in wins over the teams they've played; and anything they did in the past; but so be it.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-07-11 at 01:15 PM.

brahmabull117

Hey, I respect your opinion... the top teams have somewhat tough games coming up, so we'll see. Here's a quick response.. LSU played ALABAMA at home. They had a scoring average of 39 points a game prior. You keep saying that LSU has no offense; it's not a fact. They played a pretty good Def Sat. and they struggled. Still rushed for 148 yards. Still not sure how you think any other top team can stop them from rushing for 300; but I guess that doesn't matter. What I'm saying is; neither Boise, OK St, nor Stanford has enough athletes on Defense to make LSU beat them passing; that's it. They don't have enough Defense to make that happen. So the fact LSU doesn't have an elite QB WON'T matter because these teams aren't capable of making LSU beat them passing. I'm also not saying LSU would hold these teams to 10 points. Playing any of these teams would end up just like Oregon; 40-24; something like that. You keep thinking any of these teams can stop them from rushing for 300 yards and they can't. I've referred to the Defense; but don't lose sight that the LSU offensive line can play as well. I do think Stanford is a quality team; but again, not enough athletes to compete. Talent trumps scheme every time. These other teams don't have the talent; you are focusing on one or two players. You clearly like the other teams over the SEC teams. All I'm saying is; I wish you well betting on those teams vs any proven team with more NFL prospects, that's all. And I'd be careful about betting on "intensity" and "they did this last year"... This is 2011. I don't bring up anything LSU did to someone 2 or 4 years ago; not valid. And Boise isn't as good a team as they were last year. Still can't believe you put stock in wins over the teams they've played; and anything they did in the past; but so be it.

1)LSU's rush numbers at alabama mean nothing to me - yea they ran for 148 yards but they needed 41 carries to do it for god's sake. Not to mention a lot of those rush yards were outside option plays which Alabama clearly was not prepared to defend - LSU had zero success when they tried to line up and run the ball at Alabama. I don't think you will see Stanford or Boise give up yards on those option plays because they will be prepared for it

2)I don't buy LSU's rush offense as being anything amazing. They have put up big numbers this year mainly cause they have played a lot of terrible defenses (the SEC is garbage this year, West Virginia's defense is garbage and their numbers against Oregon were terrible). Dude they averaged 3.6 yards a carry against that finesse and undersized Oregon defense. They had just 290 yards of offense in the entire game, you really think they will be able to score 40 points against a superior Boise or Stanford defense???

3)If you believe that LSU will be able to just lineup in an I-formation and run the ball 40 times for 200+ yards against Boise or Stanford, I really don't think you have watched much Boise or Stanford defense. Both teams are very strong up front and they have no trouble stopping the run at all - Boise's front 4 guys average about 285 pounds for god's sake!! (Compared to around 273 for LSU)

You're saying Boise and Stanford don't have the athletes at defense to force LSU into having to throw the ball to win the game and I think you're totally wrong. Boise's defensive line is extremely big, strong and athletic and they have been awesome against the run for a couple seasons now. Stanford is pretty much the same way - their defensive line also averages around 275-280 Lbs and they're built to stop the run

I mean come on now people were claiming TCU had no chance to slow down Wisconsin's big offensive line and great running game last year (which put up much much bigger numbers last year than even LSU this year) and TCU still won that game

To me the question mark in the BCS title game will be Stanford/Boise's offensive efficiency and how well they protect the ball. I don't really know how good those 2 team's offenses will be against a really great LSU defense. If they score 24-30 points and don't turn the ball over, they'll win something like 27-14

I dunno though, I think it will be a very good game either way... I just hope we don't see fukkin Oklahoma State in the BCS title game - LSU will run for 300 yards and score about 55 points on Okie St

Bennett

I 100% agree; OK St would get rolled. I 100% agree, Stanford is a better matchup. Man I'm just saying; these other teams haven't played anyone. Playing one legit team (USC), and one legit team (Georgia), doesn't give you a sense of what these teams are.

Now granted, Stanford has legit games coming. As usual, Boise doesn't. Your argument is totally based on these two teams playing nobody; and you know it's nobody. Let Stanford play Sat, then a not very good ND team; but then you will have an idea of what they can do... Again; stop with Boise. Don't argue with stats vs Air Force, Nevada, Toledo, Colorado St... and that big challenge of New Mexico to end the year...

And I don't understand why people discount double figure wins these days. I watched the WV game. LSU gave up some yards, didn't play great, etc. I know that; I saw it. But they played on the road, and had to play a team that billed that game as the biggest game ever for their school. And they won by 26 points.

Just like Oregon. Gave up yards, didn't play well. But scored 40 points and again, won by double figures. Turnovers are part of the game; and most times created; you can't act like they don't happen or matter. Also; when did Oregon become a junk team? They average almost 300 rushing a game; but they were held to around 100... Was that a mirage?

By that logic, you could just say, "well if Ole Miss didn't have turnovers, had better players, and had good special teams, they could beat any team in the West.." The "yeah but/what if" argument isn't sound.

I also think big game experience, pressure, been there, done that; means something. I also don't understand discounting a team that causes turnovers, scores on Def, scores on special teams, speed, depth, etc. Those are part of a team, part of a game. If every team did it, there would be better teams out there.

Again; just because a team doesn't have Luck in the pocket, throwing beautiful passes everywhere on the field; don't mistake them for a team that can't pound your team into the ground.. I still think if you bet against an SEC team playing in New Orleans is a terrible bet.

I said I respect your opinion, so we'll agree to disagree. And we'll see over the next few weeks how things pan out for all of these teams; nothing is decided, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-08-11 at 06:46 AM.

Hank63
    Hank63's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great game