bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lights Out Lidge Does It Again Tonight

the score is 2-2 in the bottom of the 9th inning, and he just caused a fielding error. now 2 runners on base for the brew crew with 0 outs

why does Garner continue to use this guy

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Well they brought in Dan Wheeler in to face Prince Fielder with 2 outs, and that didnt work. Brewers walk off in the bottom of the 9th 3-2 winners.

bigboydan

lidge is the one that needs to be designated for assignment right now, because he's hurting the astros oppose to helping them.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I'll tell you this: the dude has mentally lost it ever since Pujols launched that rocket in Houston in Game 5 of the NLCS last year.

There was a time when the Cardinals could not touch Lidge but, ever since that Pujols home run, Lidge has totally lost it in every phase. It is really unbelievable.

E

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by EBone
    I'll tell you this: the dude has mentally lost it ever since Pujols launched that rocket in Houston in Game 5 of the NLCS last year.
    I don't really buy that. If he had had a bad game which cost the Astros a place in the World Series or something, I could understand that point of view. But he just had a bad day at the office which didn't cause any short-term impact to the team.

I just think he's lost "it".

EBone

You may be right, taco. And maybe I'm looking at this from a skewed Cardinal perspective.

My point is this: Lidge hasn't been any good all year. He never got a chance to redeem himself in the World Series because of the sweep by the ChiSox.

It was widely reported that, on the trip to St. Louis for Game 6 of the NLCS, that his teammates were really raggin him good about the Pujols moon shot. The Astros attributed that ragging to relaxing everyone and getting their frustrations out in the open so they could play loose and thus spanking the Cards in Game 6. But, somehow, I just dont think he has been able to shake it. I may be a little skewed in my angle because I remember very clearly how the Cardinals for almost 2 years never touched Lidge. They had a batting average of approximately .150 against him. He just killed the Cardinals for the longest time.

I really believe it has something to do with it. I think its psychological with him. It may not be all of it but I think there is some factor of it with him.

E

bigboydan

well i see lidge came into the game tonight, and gave up a run in the 6th inning.

i know that doesn't sound all that bad, but there were 2 outs with no runners on base. Lidge managed to load up the bases, and record that earned run.

when in garner gonna realize this guy is done! this guy has shown no signs of any type of upside lately at all, and is costing the astros any chance of making the playoffs.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    lidge is the one that needs to be designated for assignment right now
    Just tossing him aside for nothing would be an absolutely horrible mistake. At least get something for him in a trade this winter.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee
    Just tossing him aside for nothing would be an absolutely horrible mistake. At least get something for him in a trade this winter.
    well, the astros can't keep putting this guy in the game though with only 39 games left to go during this streach drive.

Willie Bee

And they can't just trot Wheeler out for 2-3 innings every night either. They've had to skip Oswalt's spot this week, place Backe back on the DL, and it's not like Qualls or Miller have been 'lights out' on a consistent basis this year either.

How much longer can the Red Sox keep trotting out some of their arms this season? Lidge has been a huge disappointment this season, and at some point you either have to use him or lose him. But how long do you think Lidge would last on the waiver wire before someone picked him up? Hell, look at Preston Wilson. Guy went from a Strikeout-Home Run hitter to a singles-double play stick. And so they tossed him away only to see him land on the roster of a division rival and now with a shot to come back and beat Houston.

EBone

If the Astros released Lidge, I know the Cards would be first in line for his ass as well. Repeat of Wilson.

E

Willie Bee

Actually the Cards would be near the end of the line going by the waiver rules which benefit teams lower in the ranks. I can't imagine that ANY team wouldn't put a claim in for him.

Lidge had such great success early on in his career, pitching in setup for Wagner then Dotel and eventually taking to the closer's role like a duck to water. And last year's playoffs were really his first taste of failure at this level. I was at that NLCS Game 5 last year, and speaking from the experience of being a Houston sports fan for 45 years now, I can't think of a single play that served up as much heartbreak and misery as Pujols' home run. I mean, it still hurts inside me despite the Astros going to St. Louis and winning the NL Pennant two nights later.

It, along with the homer by Podsednik in the WS, has got to be part of Lidge's struggles, if not THE reason for his inconsistency. I think it's time for the Astros and Lidge to bring in a psychiatrist to try and get him back on track upstairs. He's still throwing hard and has nasty stuff. Got to treat that muscle between his ears with as much concern as they treat any muscle in his arm.