stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 33756

Forget the Astro's, Forget the Red Sox, Indians are team to beat in the AL

Look what they have been doing this past week with a dinged up Encarnancion, (dinged up, sat out last couple of games) who's one of the league's premiere power hitter with 31 homers and has been for years when he was in Toronto.

Indians are missing the games best non closing reliever, and closer or not closer one an elite reliever in Andrew Miller.
    Who's due to come off the DL soon.

They're missing Jason Kipnis who's in that group of second basemen that are very good but not in the same class as Jose Aluve who is in a class by himself. You can argue Schoop is better than Kipnis, and you can argue Cano, but that's about it, Kinsler is on the downside of his brilliant career, and I really like Dozier, he's a terrific player, but he's got flaws that Kipnis does not. Give Whit Merrifield two more years he'll be in the conversation regarding the game's premier second basemen.

They're missing Michael Brantley and a key fourth outfielder, role player, situational match up pinch hitter Lonnie Chisenhall.

And they're missing two rotation starters in Josh Tomlin and Danny Salazar.

The Indians without Tomlin and Salazar have a rotation of Kluber on top, neck and neck for Cy Young Award consideration with Chris Sale, Carlos Carrasco, and Trevor Bauer, Mike Clevinger is the fourth rotation for now.
    The top three of Kluber (who has won a Cy Young) Carlos Carrasco and Trevor Bauer all have won 13 games plus each, Bauer has won 14, the top three all have 10 k's per 9 innings pitched ration, throw in Clevinger's 10.30 k's per nine innings pitched that makes all four, and when Salazar gets back with his 12.52 K's per nine inning ratio, that's a staff of five that's going to leave opposing offenses grabbing a lot of pine from swings and misses.

Carrasco has a rock steady WH/IP of 1.13, Kluber's WH/IP is 0.89, which Is Pedro or Maddux in their prime amazing, the other three are at league average or a little better, with the exception of Bauer who's ERA is 4.46 all the other ERA's range from good to outstanding, and yes, they have the top ranked pitching staff in the American League.

Bryan Shaw has been doing an outstanding job filling in for Andrew Miller setting up closer Cody Allen.
    When Miller gets back the bullpen sort of reminds you of the 2015 WS Champs KC Royals bullpen with Shaw in the 7th, Miller in the 8th inning, and Shaw closing, and mix match guys Goody and Otero are doing their jobs very well.

With a healthy Kipnis and Encarncion, there are no gaping holes on offense.
    Encarncion didn't look that great in game 2 of the double header earlier, his first game back after missing 4 games.

Lindor in his third year now, hit .313 and .301 in his first two years, and now is hitting for stupid power for a SS.
    He's got 34 doubles and 24 homers already with 5 weeks left.

J-Ram has been on fire, 11 hits in his last 7 games, .303 average with 20 homers and is a switch hitter who you can't get out with either hand, bats .298 from the left side and .301 from the right side. Ramierez went 4 for 4 in the first game of a double dip at the big ball orchard in the South Bronx.

Indians got more home run power in Jay Bruce from the Mets for pretty much a box of rocks.

Carlos Santana is an on base machine, Austin Jackson is hitting over .300, he thinks he's 24 years old again when he was doing damage with the Tigers back in the day. The regular catcher Gomes can actually catch and has pop in his bat also.

Tito Francona has been there, done that, loves to put the wheels in motion, always has runners on the move, forces the action with his squad, I remember a team two years ago that won a championship with a three headed monster in the bullpen and forced the action with runners on the go all the time. (just saying)

Indians have won seven straight, after beating the Red Sox 13-6 over a week ago, swept the Royals three straight all via the shutout (how sick is that?)
    Then they go up to the Stadium sweep the Yanks, won the first game of the series 6-2, then a rain out, and then today sweep both ends of a twin bill 2-1 and 9-4, the second game today they won with their #7 starter, Ryan Merrit.

Houston can't pitch with the Indians and let's be realistic, the Red Sox offense is not very scary at all, it's a good thing they have Sale and Kimbrel in the bullpen, which isn't really that much better than the Kluber and their top two in Cleveland's bullpen, and face it, Red Sox can't hit with the Indians.

It's Cleveland's pennant to lose this year, anything short of a return trip to the Series is a disappointment.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Do think they make it again. The NL, no clue. I don't trust the Dodgers, or Washington. But, I see Cleveland versus Washington. Sounds bad, but would be a good one. I'm sure the MLB would rather see LA versus NYY, or Boston. Unfortunately, the Mariners have shat the bed per the usual.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Fukk the Indians ,
    they are the reason the Cubs have a World Series ring in the 20th century

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    Fukk the Indians ,
    they are the reason the Cubs have a World Series ring in the 20th century
    Everything lined up correctly for the Cubs last season.
    Dodgers and Nats can handle them this season, and maybe even Arizona, they haven't lost all week Goldy just hit a moonshot and LA's starter Ryu may not even see the fourth inning.

Fidel_CashFlow

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Everything lined up correctly for the Cubs last season.
    Dodgers and Nats can handle them this season, and maybe even Arizona, they haven't lost all week Goldy just hit a moonshot and LA's starter Ryu may not even see the fourth inning.
    Indians up 3-1 in the world series , they blew it by horrible defense and choking fundamentals

Im on them Dbacks tonight +115

Robbie Ray is the most underrated pitcher IN ALL of baseball

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11478

Cleveland Indians look great right now.. Yisman played them the other day and was onto something, I took notice and played them today in both games.. Both cashed. This team is on a winning streak and I'm riding it!!! GO TRIBE!!! I'll take the Tribe in the next game as well as they are rolling right now...

5dimes transaction history copy and paste -

Game 1 -

$100.00 $117.00 Win 8/30/17 1:05pm MLB Baseball 915 Cleveland Indians +117* vs New York Yankees (T Bauer - R must Start J Garcia - L must Start)

Game 2 -

$100.00 $124.00 Win 8/30/17 4:30pm MLB Baseball 931 Cleveland Indians +124* vs New York Yankees (R Merritt - L must Start J Montgomery - L must Start)

I wanted to take them yesterday but the game was rained out -

$100.00 $103.00 Cancelled 8/29/17 7:05pm MLB Baseball 965 Cleveland Indians +103* vs New York Yankees (T Bauer - R must Start J Garcia - L must Start)
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave JIBBBY 6 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2158

You're just now figuring this out?

Should have won WS last year with 2 of their top 3 starters on dL and best Of.

Doing much of same this year. Need to get healthy and it's cake

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    You're just now figuring this out?

Should have won WS last year with 2 of their top 3 starters on dL and best Of.

Doing much of same this year. Need to get healthy and it's cake
    Not at all, I thought Cleveland was the class of the AL Central all along, and I thought only Boston had a chance to beat them.
    Pitching wins, always has, always will, nothing has changed in 1000 years.
    What Sale is doing is not shocking, he's this generation's Pedro, I did not expect Porcello to suck ass like this, he's looked like Homer Bjailey most of the year, Pomeranz is lucky to be 14 and 4, I haven't seen such a good luck pitcher like this since Phil Hughes in his Yankee days.
    And Fister is just putrid. And Price looks like he finally woke up, then bam, straight to the DL.

Of the six regulars that qualify with enough plate appearances to win a title, the best hitter for average is Benintendi with a robust .275
    Red Sox have one hitter with more than 20 homers that's Han-Ram with 21, Fat Papi can come back and lead that team with power numbers. Sox just swept Toronto, I have no idea how, they have 140 team homers, you know who has more?
    Everyone else except Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and SF Giants. Ouch. The Padres and Phillies have more HR's than Boston.
    Double ouch.

Like the Yankees, give Boston a year or so, they'll be beasts.
    Benintendi and Devers kids need to develop some, there is no doubt the talent is there, just like the Yanks need another year with Judge and Sanchez, and Bird if he can stay healthy.

Once more, who is the guy in the Red Sox line up you'll have to pitch around, like Stanton or Trout?
    The correct answer is nobody. Mookie Betts and his .263/18/78 numbers scare you? And he's supposed to be what makes that line up go.
    You know who has those kind of numbers? 94 other players have more homers, Nick Castellanos and Jed Gyorko are having Mookie Betts seasons, but Nick and Jed aren't looked at as offensive team leaders, just pieces of the puzzle.

Xander Boegarts was supposed to be the next big thing all things shortstops.
    I remember baseball people saying the same thing as Jhonny Peralta.

Lindor, Seagar, Andrus, DiDi, Beckham, Andrelton Simmons, Segura, Twins Polanco, Arcia, and maybe even Freddie Galvis are having better SS seasons.

Jordy Mercer is having pretty much the same year as Xander Boegarts.

In order for the Red Sox to do anything in October, they're going to need Sale to be Sale, Kimbrel to close out everything, and rock solid efforts like the one we saw tonight from Porcello, or it's going to be one and done for Boston.
    You think pitchers like Kluber shit their pants when the Red Sox come up to bat. Rangers are a scary lineup, Red Sox are not.

Guys like Peacock waste too many pitches for Houston, when was the last time you saw Brad Peacock go the full nine innings?
    Forget that, when has Peacock gone a full seven innings?
    I love Peacock, he's a K machine, I love guys like that, I love strike out artists, but what good does it do Houston's bullpen if you have to use them 3 innings every start.
    Keuchel and Fiers are the only Astro pitchers that go deep into games and eat up innings.
    Charlie Morton is having a nice little season for himself, but his average start is 5 2/3 inning.
    Half their rotation is killing their bullpen, and by the way, Astro's forgot to hit all of a sudden.

Indians pennant to lose, I said it again.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Great write ups as usual Nash and completely agree.

Just another addition is Lindors D, it is incredible! He makes (like seems the usual for modern day SS) highlight reel plays look so easy he must of saved many a run this season. Remember one inning earlier on in the season first batter up got a decent peice of of one he's off to first with a single, nope Lindor ridiculous diving play rolls and throws him out by three feet. Second guy up a repeat but not quite as good. Then the third he climbs the ladder pinches a liner outta mid air and inning over, all three looked base hits of the bat. Standing O heading into the dug out from the Tribe faithful and a well deserved one at that.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Clev looks v v good....arizona can play with dodgers if gruenke pitches v good. 5 game series if Ariz wins wild card game.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Cleve will be in World Series again

Never forget they lost last year on a fluke

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14

I picked Indians-Cubs rematch at the start of the year, and I'm not budging.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Nasher, you should start a baseball blog, or something. I can't pay attention to it until it hits about this point. You should be getting paid by someone to write up your thoughts, as you definitely love the game, and keep track of it from day one.

Fidel_CashFlow

Steve Nash is just an awesome poster

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

They are going to burn me on the under 93.5. No one can beat them right now and they are no where close to being healthy, plus the manager has missed time and they got off to a slow start. With 30 games left I can't see them losing 12 of them. Double penetrate me............again

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I picked Indians-Cubs rematch at the start of the year, and I'm not budging.
    Dodgers and Houston when it's all said and done me tinks.. Indians have a chance, Cubs no way..

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5989

I'm a diehard Astros fan but if the Astros some how hang on to the top seed, I hope the Red Sox take out the Indians. I would hate to have to face the Indians with that bullpen in a 7 game series.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

houston crested early and has lost it.... they'd have won it all if the f'n world series was in f'n june.....

barely playing 500 ball since and injury riddled to boot.....

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Played Texas in this morning game.. Sketchy so far.. Not looking good..

Stros might get this and avoid the sweep...https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/texas-r...ros-370831118/

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    houston crested early and has lost it.... they'd have won it all if the f'n world series was in f'n june.....

barely playing 500 ball since and injury riddled to boot.....
    And McHugh made my point this afternoon.
    AJ Hinch hooked in with two outs in the fifth.
    McHugh used 91 pitches just to get 14 outs.
    91 pitches of which 57 were strikes, 34 for balls, I didn't see the game but it looks like from the box the Rangers game plan was to work him deep into the count, looking at the box it looks like he pitched a decent game, 4 2/3 innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 3 K's.
    One run, not earned. Pitched to 1.26 WH/IP but the point is another Astro pitcher doesn't get to the fifth inning and Hinch has to abuse his bullpen again. Wow, that was not a cheap win for Devinski and that was not a cheap save for Giles.

Devinski and Giles combined for 4 1/3 innings of no hit relief, no hits, no runs, and each walked one each.
    Nice job fellas, good thing the Astro/Mets game is postponed Friday (hurricane)

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22611

I like the Indians to win the AL.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20232

I like Indians to win the AL also. What is up with Salazar, is he coming back? They kind of need a really good #3 behind Kluber and Carrasco, but other than that they are great.

Astros are fading and have been for some time. Getting Correa back will help, but they don't have the dominant starting pitching to carry them in a series. They should have traded for an elite arm at the deadline.

I like Boston, but Cleveland is just a better version of them.

stevenash

Indian game just went final.
    Kluber just helped his Cy Young cause by twisting 8 innings of 7 strikeout 1 run (earned) ball.

Tribe pound out 14 hits, J-Ram is so hot they're starting to call him Mr. Fahrenheit, he had two more hits.
    Encarncion had two hits, he got lifted for a pinch runner, hope it's nothing.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Tribe rolling... That's 10 straight wins in a row now!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings/

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Can we make it 11 straight today please!!! ... Ride em cowboys until they lose I say!!

Tomlin kinda sucks but hopefully the Indians bats will compensate... https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/clevela...ers-370903106/

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Can we make it 11 straight today please!!! ... Ride em cowboys until they lose I say!!

Tomlin kinda sucks but hopefully the Indians bats will compensate... https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/clevela...ers-370903106/

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6365

I agree with a lot of your assessment besides your ranking of 2B. In no world is Jason Kipnis better than Dozier.

intermission
    intermission's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7120

Hard to see this team do well in the playoff with the piece of shit allen and shaw

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

38-15 since the break. That's hotter than the dodgers.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Dodgers hit a wall.. They may have a losing record the rest of the way.. Wouldn't be shocking to see..

Padres are beating them down in this current series.. Would be looking at the sweep tonight if it wasn't for Kershaw squeaking out that one run win in a pitching gem..... I think that will be a tall order though with Wood on the mound later today.. He's a stingy pitcher for the Dodgers.
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-03-17 at 01:14 PM.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Tribe rolling again today 8-1 now in the 7th..https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/clevela...ers-370903106/ Should be 11 straight now unless they have an epic collapse.... Will continue to ride this winning streak until they lose even with - odds like this..

$200.00 $102.60 Pending 9/3/17 1:10pm MLB Baseball 917 Cleveland Indians -195* vs Detroit Tigers (J Tomlin - R must Start C Bell - L must Start)

Hopefully the LA Sparks continue next -8 at home today.. Another home winning streak worth playing until they lose also.

Just here to help fellas.. Ride the streaks I say..

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by CMNoney View Post
    I agree with a lot of your assessment besides your ranking of 2B. In no world is Jason Kipnis better than Dozier.
    I think I should have elaborated some on the Dozier v. Kipnis debate.
    There are things that Dozier does better than Kipnis does, like hit for more power, but Kipnis hits for power too.
    Dozier strikes out more than Dozier, now before you jump ugly on me, I'm fully aware Kipnis struck out a ton last year (146) that's an anomaly, in 2014 and 2015 he only struck out 100 and 107 times, where as Dozier has struck out 120 or more time each and every full season he has played. The most frustrating and most unproductive thing a hitter can do to is either a) strike out or b) pop up to an infielder, double that if there are men on. Now if you have some pop in your bat you can (almost) excuse a hitter if he strikes out too much because those unproductive at bats will even out with the three run bombs they hit over the course of the season.

Kipnis hits for average better, almost .20 points better, but I'll take .250 (which Dozier is) if the keeps hitting 28 bombs a year.
    Dozier isn't the 42 home run a year guy he was last year, but he's better than the 18 and 23 homers he hit in 2014 and 2015, that's how I see Dozier, a 28 home run a year guy as he's hitting his prime years. Kipnis is better OBA guy (that's my go to stat by the way, OBA) you can't score a run unless you get on base, now on Dozier's behalf is taking more walks now more than ever, who ever is working with him is doing a good job, and Dozier is a good student.

Defense is half the game, Dozier and Kipnis both play very good defense, you can say both play outstanding defense, Kipnis is on the shelf, he's missed 50 games, compare Kipnis's season on defense in 2016 to Dozier's season on defense it's pretty much dead even.

Both played the same amount of games last year, both played the same amount of innings last year, here's the difference Dozier had 713 total chances at 2B or 4.7 per game where as Kipnis only had 632 chances or 4.2 per game, and the reason as to why Kipnis had less chances is simple, Inidans pitchers have ridiculous high strikeout rates (Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, etc. etc.) where as Dozier's Twins pitchers pitch to contact, of course Dozier is going to see more action on the field, and he plays the position great Dozier does, turns the DP correctly, goes out to short right field well, that's the reason why Dozier's RF (range factor) is higher than Kipnis, RF is sort of like ERA for defense (putouts and assists divided by innings) and even though Kipnis had a higher DWAR rating, slight edge .01 I think Dozier is a slightly better defensive second baseman than Kipnis, but slight.

While I was researching defensive metrics and such I was kind of surprised to find out the best defensive 2B last year overall were the two dinosaurs (Pedroia and Kinsler) in that order, eliminating the part time 2B, (like Baez and Gyorko etc) the top five were Pedroia, Kinsler, Cano (too much of a showboat for my taste) than Kipnis and Dozier, you want to give a slight edge Dozier over Kipnis I'm down with that, I did.

OK, I've spent way too much of my disposable leisure time on this debate, after analyzing everything, both belong in the same tier, which is the second tier, the first tier of 2B has only one player in it, Altuve. Both players give you outstanding up the middle defense that is extremely important to pitchers, outstanding up the middle defense saves runs, it's just that simple, while Dozier will give you more HR's and stolen bases, he'll strike out more than Kipnis and hit for less average and get on base a little less. Both are 30 years old, in the middle of their prime. I'll conclude with these two statements.
    Keep an eye on Whit Merrifield in KC, he's proven to be legit, next three years will tell just how legit.
    Finally I'll put it this way, you can't go wrong with either Kipnis or Dozier.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Tribe rolling again today 8-1 now in the 7th..https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/clevela...ers-370903106/ Should be 11 straight now unless they have an epic collapse.... Will continue to ride this winning streak until they lose even with - odds like this..

$200.00 $102.60 Pending 9/3/17 1:10pm MLB Baseball 917 Cleveland Indians -195* vs Detroit Tigers (J Tomlin - R must Start C Bell - L must Start)

Hopefully the LA Sparks continue next -8 at home today.. Another home winning streak worth playing until they lose also.

Just here to help fellas.. Ride the streaks I say..
    Well the Sparks win and cover at home again.. The easy money with the Sparks continue.. Cash it again!!

It's playoff time now in the WNBA for the Sparks from this point forward but I still like them to win and cover at home thru out..http://www.espn.com/wnba/scoreboard

$200.00 $181.80 Win 9/3/17 4:00pm WNBA Basketball 670 Los Angeles Sparks -8 -110* vs Connecticut Sun

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    But 19 and 6 in their last 25 games is not better than LA's 14 and 11 in their last 25.
    And if you dig even deeper, in those last 25 games the Dodgers have played 15 of the 25 games were played against non contending playoff teams, or cream puffs if you will.
    Sorry, elite teams don't go 14 and 11 against teams like the White Sox (inter league set) the Padres, the Mets...

If I'm a Dodger fan, and I'm not, I wouldn't want to play Arizona in a seven game set right now.
    They are about to sweep Colorado in Denver, the Diamondback pitching held the Rox to eight runs in three games which is unreal considering their line up is stacked, and that park is a launching pad.
    Snakes just went final, they held Colorado to five hits all singles.

stevenash

Yawn, Cleveland wins again.
    I think the city wants Tito to run for mayor,

12 Last