MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Buddy Hield Draft Stock Soaring

Kid has been having an unbelievable season. Never seen anyone move up the mock draft boards like he has done this year.

He was projected to go as late as the 53 on January first. Today his average mock draft position is ~8th.

Is this kid for real??? I have watched breakdowns of his play and he seems to be effectively developing all the tools that he will need to be a successful scorer at the NBA level.

Is he a star in the making or another case of an undersized college guy who won't be able to transition his game to being effective against NBA level defences?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

He is a great shooter. Probably not tall enough to play the 2. Cat quick skills. Doesn't seem uber athletic either. I've never seen the kid dunk

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

He's very average/below average at the NBA level. NCAAB hoops so watered down. This draft is weak. Hield comes off ball screens and can shoot the 3. He doesn't pass well, doesn't play D, doesn't create his own shot. Tweener size wise. Don't buy in, he's a black Jimmer.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

I know Hield is having an impressive season, but explain to me how it's more impressive than what Valentine is doing?

Off the top of my head, it's like 25/2/5 vs 20/7/8 averages. Valentine nearing a tripple double avg and plays better defense. Valentine also plays 1/2/3 positions.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    I know Hield is having an impressive season, but explain to me how it's more impressive than what Valentine is doing?

Off the top of my head, it's like 25/2/5 vs 20/7/8 averages. Valentine nearing a tripple double avg and plays better defense. Valentine also plays 1/2/3 positions.
    Never said it was the most impressive season. Just sayingHis draft stock has shot from a late second rounder to a likely lottery pick. While Valentine was projected to be undrafted last season, he has remained right in the middle of the first round pretty much all of this season.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

MoMo you're right about the draft stocks

But everyone (espn, writers, etc) has penciled in Hield for POY, when I think it's much more of a neck-and-neck race with Denzel

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Dom you're biased. Hield has had the better year. On top of that he didn't miss 2-3 weeks like Valentine.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

MoMo you're right about the draft stocks

But everyone (espn, writers, etc) has penciled in Hield for POY, when I think it's much more of a neck-and-neck race with Denzel
    I agree that Hield should not be a shoe-in for POY. Valentine are Hield are easily the two best players in power conferences. Valentine's Offensive rating edges hield's by almost 3 full points. Hield has had his best games in blowouts whereas Valentine has played very strong in very close games. Not sure that should mean that much as it should be looked at in a vacuum. My guess is whoever shines more in the post season will be able to elevate themselves above the other.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Twizzler is correct here...cant sit out for 2-3 weeks and get POY...doesnt happen

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    Dom you're biased. Hield has had the better year. On top of that he didn't miss 2-3 weeks like Valentine.
    Maybe I am biased.

But explain how Hield has had the better year - other than not getting injured?

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Maybe I am biased.

But explain how Hield has had the better year - other than not getting injured?
    6 more points per game and 50% from the field and from 3-point range. The missed time for Valentine seals the deal.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Now if he could talk so anyone could understand what the fuk he is saying in his interviews
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: El Nino

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    6 more points per game and 50% from the field and from 3-point range. The missed time for Valentine seals the deal.
    With Valentine's 5 more assists per game, he is 'responsible' for at least 34 ppg while Hield would be 'responsible' for at least 29 ppg.

Buddy shooting 50% FG (49% from 3)
    Denzel shooting 47% FG (45% from 3)

Buddy Assist to TO ratio of 0.7
    Denzel Assist to TO ratio of 2.7

And as MoMo mentioned, Valentine has been clutch in 'big games' - kind of a subjective measurement.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Strength of Schedule is in OU's favor as well. #9th hardest in the country vs. MSU's 65th. Valentine will get votes, but Hield will win.