TheGovernor11
    TheGovernor11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 215

UFC 112: BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar

Just read this over at MMA Junkie. I'm pretty psyched for it. Frankie Edgar is a little small but he's dirty.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

glad to see that the ufc did the right thing here, no way maynard vs penn was going to be a draw

TheGovernor11

Second that. If Maynard didn't have such a size advantage over Edgar he would've been smoked.

waco66
    Canucks -1.5
    waco66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

no offense...but this one is going to suck.

TheGovernor11

Why do you say that?

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

well they sell a 10% stake of the UFC to a Abu Dhabi company, now looks like they get a 2 title figt card Penn/Edgar Silva/Belfort

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovernor11 View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Because he's probably in the same boat as many others who feel no one at LW can even compete with Penn these days. (myself included)

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

Quote Originally Posted by Educ8d Degener8 View Post
    Because he's probably in the same boat as many others who feel no one at LW can even compete with Penn these days. (myself included)
    this can be said for several title holder, Penn, GSP, Silva all have beat the top contenders in there weight classes. Still need to have fights even if they are large favs, always a Matt Sera chance

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    this can be said for several title holder, Penn, GSP, Silva all have beat the top contenders in there weight classes. Still need to have fights even if they are large favs, always a Matt Sera chance
    I don't disagree with you on that point

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Frankie Edgar is tough and scrappy but he doesn't have a single advantage over BJ in any aspect of a fight. Other then cardio.

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

I have Bj Penn winning this one...but if anyone in that division can beat Penn...it's Edgar...this should be a real good fight.

nobull
    nobull's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6141

PeNn 2 WiN

waco66
    Canucks -1.5
    waco66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovernor11 View Post
    Why do you say that?
    because edger is too small for 155. He should be in a smaller weight class. It's almost like UFC want BJ Penn to destroy Edger infront of the Arabs. Show him off or something.

Edger has a some boxing skills..but he is no threat to BJ Penn what so ever. He doesn't even have a punchers chance because he has no power in the 155 division vs somone like Penn.

I don't understand the UFC sometimes. Its like this fight is a "thank you" here is an easy pay day for Penn. Which is nice of them.

squallsquall
    squallsquall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I'm having a hard time seeing Penn lose this one (too).

TheGovernor11

I definitely think BJ Penn is going to win this fight but I don't think the fight's going to suck. Edgar is the best LW (skill and style wise) that BJ has faced since getting the title and maybe ever. At the very least, he has the boxing skills to keep up with BJ so he won't get absolutely killed on the feet and he's the better wrestler so he won't get taken down and tapped out within seconds. But let's be real, of all the "unbeatable" champions (Fedor, Anderson, GSP, and BJ) I think BJ is number one. If you think about it, he has the least amount of ways he can lose.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I'll be loading up on BJ.

Tree Rollins

It's hard to see a scenario where Frankie Edgar wins this fight. The only chance he has is to hang in until the late rounds when BJ gets tired.

ecpenguin
    ecpenguin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    I'll be loading up on BJ.
    Same here. I hope the line opens below -500, but I'll load up on anything under -650.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    It's hard to see a scenario where Frankie Edgar wins this fight. The only chance he has is to hang in until the late rounds when BJ gets tired.
    Whatever Marv Marinovich has BJ doing, it's working. BJ doesn't tire in the later rounds anymore. BJ has a granite chin, too. I can't even imagine a flash KO. In my opinion the only way BJ loses this fight is by DQ or injury.

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    When will the myth of BJ having bad cardio dissappear?? He's never had bad cardio at 155lb. Show me a fight at 155lb where he has gassed....he has great cardio at 155.......170 is a whole other story.

As for this fight, I have to disagree with Bodd here. Edgar will be outclassed on the feet, no doubt in my mind. Edgar doesnt have the boxing skills or the handspeed to keep up with BJ. And he has no chance of taking BJ down. He's too small and we've all seen BJ's TDD.

As well, in all honesty, I think Florian and Diego would both beat Edgar. I have a lot of respect for Edgar and think he is an outstanding fighter but I still believe this isn't the right weightclass for him.

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Eccocide View Post

When will the myth of BJ having bad cardio dissappear?? He's never had bad cardio at 155lb. Show me a fight at 155lb where he has gassed....he has great cardio at 155.......170 is a whole other story.

As for this fight, I have to disagree with Bodd here. Edgar will be outclassed on the feet, no doubt in my mind. Edgar doesnt have the boxing skills or the handspeed to keep up with BJ. And he has no chance of taking BJ down. He's too small and we've all seen BJ's TDD.

As well, in all honesty, I think Florian and Diego would both beat Edgar. I have a lot of respect for Edgar and think he is an outstanding fighter but I still believe this isn't the right weightclass for him.
    It kind of is a myth that he has bad cardio at 155, but not because he is in exponentially better shape at 155. He just hasn't been pushed as hard at 155 as 170, and he is able to conserve some energy. You can't get away with that against a GSP or Matt Hughes etc. But against Kenny Florian or Frankie Edgar or even a trimmed down Diego, he is able to completely control the fight, which keeps him from running out of gas.
    I guess if the right 155er came along he could wear BJ down. But will that happen? Probably not.

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

A lightweight match-up between British fighter Terry Etim (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Brazilian Rafael dos Anjos (13-4 MMA, 2-2 UFC) is close to being finalized for UFC 112 in April.

Sources close to the bout told MMAjunkie.com that both parties have agreed to the fight and hope to sign bout agreements shortly.

The HOFF

Date: Apr 10, 2010

Venue: TBA
    Broadcast: TBA

• Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort (middleweight title)
    • B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar (lightweight title)
    • Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie
    • Kendall Grove vs. Mark Munoz
    • Rafael dos Anjos vs. Terry Etim
    • DaMarques Johnson vs. TBA

The HOFF

Despite some concerns about the Ultimate Fighting Championship's ability to find a suitable venue, the fight promotion has secured an outdoor arena and hosts UFC 112 on April 10 in the United Arab Emirates.

The event takes place in Abu Dhabi at Concert Arena at the Ferrari World theme park on Yas Island.

Confirmed championship co-headliners previously reported for the long-rumored event include UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort and lightweight champ B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar.

The HOFF

A welterweight bout between fast-rising prospects Ricky Story (9-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and Nick Osipczak (5-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is nearly set for April's UFC 112 event in the United Arab Emirates.

A source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com the fight is "in the works" bout that bout agreements have not been signed.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

card looks great too me...

The HOFF

UFC lightweight Paul Kelly's next opponent is no longer a mystery.

Shortly after the UK-based fighter announced his return at UFC 112 on Thursday afternoon, MMAjunkie.com learned that Kelly (9-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) is set to face Matt Veach (11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at the April event in Abu Dhabi.

Sources close to the negotiations indicate that at least one fighter has signed his bout agreement and the fight is a virtual lock.

The HOFF

Paul Taylor (10-5-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC) has dropped from welterweight to lightweight and signed to fight John Gunderson (22-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at UFC 112 in April.

Sources close to both competitors told MMAjunkie.com the fight is set for the preliminary card of the event.

The HOFF

Mostapha Al-Turk will fight in Abu Dhabi against "Ultimate Fighter" alum, Jon Madsen, at UFC 112.

Both fighters have agreed to the fight according to sources close to the situation as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Saturday.

RobbReport
    RobbReport's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Frankie has a chance to out point BJ.

RobbReport

his boxing is probably top 3 in LW division. too bad he doesn't have greater power.

RobbReport

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    Mostapha Al-Turk will fight in Abu Dhabi against "Ultimate Fighter" alum, Jon Madsen, at UFC 112.

Both fighters have agreed to the fight according to sources close to the situation as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Saturday.

they should of got Amir in there, but probably waiting on the second visit there and a few more fights for him.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6100

BJ Penn will smoke this kid. He's better everywhere.

clarkd32
    clarkd32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

edgar lost to Maynard.... and I don't think Maynard is that good.

RobbReport

Maynard is garbage. I'm talking about boxing if they box the points could add up, if BJ doesn't hurt him.

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

penn is on a diff level then the rest of the division plain and simple
    penn ml bet. then use him to parlay your other picks. easy $$

1234 ... Last