SportsMozart
    SportsMozart's Avatar Become A Pro!

Will online gambling ever be legal in US?

EU is accusing US in violating WTO international free trading agreements by pushing European gambling houses out of US market. There is also another issue- freedom of choice that is one of the corner stones of US constitution.

If you remember the movie "People versus Larry Flynt" where in a court room Flyint's attorney addresses the jury saying: " I like the fact that I live in a country where I can chose to buy and read the Hustler magazine
    or then throw in in the garbage if I think that's where it belongs!" " Freedom to make choices for ourselves as adults- that is a magnificent way to live and I wanna protect that freedom"

Now there was this guy called George Bush here in Austin ( man did he **** up everything for his country!). He's bureaucrats decided to make choices for us. Do you think that there is any hope that some day they will come to senses and change that law, legalize the online gambling and tax it? Many states have they budgets in deficit, they need money, and extra tax revenue. At the same time businesses running away from US markets like rats from the sinking ship. Lastly MB yesterday. Is there any ray of hope that it will change? That would bring in US based houses, stronger competition and billions of dollars in taxes to build roads, schools and hospitals. That would create the issue how to control and tax offshore gambling. Seems to me that they don't wanna deal with it so it is easier just to ban everything, make everything illegal and arrest everybody like in communist China!
    Will that day come or do we have to wait for a senate with the democrat majority for that to happen?

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/07/onl...le-minton.html
    Last edited by SportsMozart; 02-28-11 at 04:06 PM.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17057

The good news is that gambling will be legalized in 2016 when Barney Frank is elected President. The bad news is that heterosexual relations will be outlawed. Seems we get fukked one way or another.

thekid667
    thekid667's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hope one day it is so we can get some good prices damn!!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I seriously doubt it. Lobbyists are the problem. In this case for horse racing and Vegas. As long as they keep greasing the wheels, politicians will be happy to oblige.

coldhardfacts
    coldhardfacts's Avatar Become A Pro!

It will happen. Most of us will be old or dead by the time it does. But it will.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Will never happen. That's the only sure thing in gambling. Look at these people running the country?

BigOrangeTitans
    Go Kill Yourself, Thx Mgmt
    BigOrangeTitans's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

not in this lifetime gents i just dont see it

mikeanite
    mikeanite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 582

keep writing the letters to your states...

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who really cares they can't stop us now anyway

SportsMozart

Shawshank redemption syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by mikeanite View Post
    keep writing the letters to your states...

You mean it is a Shawshank redemption syndrome- write 2 letters every week to state senate for 19 years in a row and kingdom of heaven will arrive? It is about civil liberties and not living in a police state more than anything else.There are people who do not give a shit, yet for a most of us that is a matter of principle

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

The bigger question is who the hell decided what is legal/illegal gambling and how did the braindead guaranteed to lose versions of gambling like slots, 20% vig horse/dog racing, keno, lotto get legalized over poker and sports gambling

I could at least comprehend a country where all gambling was outlawed but its basically if you have any chance to win at gambling its outlawed, but if you are 100% going to lose your ass with no hope then sure lets legalize it in every state so you can stand behind a bunch of welfare recipients for 20 mins while they buy up all the scratchoffs and make sure their 50 powerball tickets are entered correctly

Donadon
    Donadon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 566

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    The good news is that gambling will be legalized in 2016 when Barney Frank is elected President. The bad news is that heterosexual relations will be outlawed. Seems we get fukked one way or another.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    or not as the case may be.

The US restrictions on gambling is a result of pork-barrel politics at its very worst.

A case through the WTO would go nowhere because a) the US law is not explicit and b) many smaller countries have similar rules or even protected state regulated bookies which have defacto monopolies.

thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

in most things in life they say never say never , this is one exception , it always comes down to money and somebody doesn't want it to happen

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Exactly, there are very rich ppl in the gambling industry in the US that have filled the politicians pockets with enough millions of "contributions" to keep it from ever being legalized

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Exactly, there are very rich ppl in the gambling industry in the US that have filled the politicians pockets with enough millions of "contributions" to keep it from ever being legalized
    Yeah, that is pretty much what I think is driving the dynamics of the situation.

jim
    jim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2392

it will be legal the day sbr decides to reinstate me on the points plan nyuck nyuck.

----------------------------------------------
    no points for you, jobu! - sbr management

dark star
    dark star's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5551

I would have to think theres too much money out there for it not to get legalized & taxed some where down the road.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It should have been done four years ago, but that Liberal F**k Up Barney Frank and his buddy, Harry Ried, screwed up ahd never got the job done. Now, with the Conservatives gaining control of the House, and probably the Senate as well, it is a longshot at best for the next 10 years.

loyd
    loyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1758

why do you want it to be legal? do you want to pay 30% of your winning in taxes?? imagine if betjam, 5dimes and all the vother books get legalized in the u.s. they will have to report your winnings to the IRS and you will have to pay taxes on it.

Odessa
    Odessa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4136

Quote Originally Posted by loyd View Post
    why do you want it to be legal? do you want to pay 30% of your winning in taxes?? imagine if betjam, 5dimes and all the vother books get legalized in the u.s. they will have to report your winnings to the IRS and you will have to pay taxes on it.
    My understanding that in U.K. and Australia gambling is legal and winnings not subject to tax, since you can't claim losses as deductions.

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by loyd View Post
    lol, you have to anyway

gangeriver
    The Best Closer!
    gangeriver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

as a foreign I would like to say your situation is not so pathetic, you should give thanks to god. French people so unlucky
    Also does anyone want to pay tax? Don't care....illegal betting is good. (but UK is better )
    Last edited by gangeriver; 03-01-11 at 11:01 AM.

gangeriver
    The Best Closer!
    gangeriver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Last edited by gangeriver; 03-01-11 at 10:53 AM. Reason: dp

steve18
    steve18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 848

Sooner than later regulation will happen and it will be taxed. That's my opinion anyway.

SportsMozart

Here is the thing that gives conservatives a headache- how to control and tax offshore gambling! That is pretty much impossible to do.
    Sure legalizing will bring on hundreds of US based houses, where you play and pay taxes, yet offshore would still be untaxed. For us that means- all the biggest houses like Pinny and BetFair will come back , all the restrictions will go away. Yet something tells me- it ain't gonna be that easy Main thing is that best betting houses will be open for US public again. And that is what we all want!

thekid667
    thekid667's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMozart View Post
    You mean it is a Shawshank redemption syndrome- write 2 letters every week to state senate for 19 years in a row and kingdom of heaven will arrive? It is about civil liberties and not living in a police state more than anything else.There are people who do not give a shit, yet for a most of us that is a matter of principle

Great Movie!!

Eagle1958
    Eagle1958's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Once the US government figures a way to get their share, it will be legalized. It's all about the taxes.

BigOrangeTitans

theres still a chance of hell freezing over first

Coldpimpin
    Coldpimpin's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've already had a glimpse of the future with my crystal ball. We're all going to have to register as gambling offenders and wear electronic monitoring ankle bracelets. We will all rounded up at Operation Superbowl Sweep and charged with numerous felonies each including but not limited to conspiracy to bet, wire fraud, and failure to register as a habitual gambler. Fockin Republicans!

BigOrangeTitans

I'm telling u guys. The politicians use gamblers the same way addicts and alcoholics are used

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMozart View Post
    EU is accusing US in violating WTO international free trading agreements by pushing European gambling houses out of US market. There is also another issue- freedom of choice that is one of the corner stones of US constitution.

If you remember the movie "People versus Larry Flynt" where in a court room Flyint's attorney addresses the jury saying: " I like the fact that I live in a country where I can chose to buy and read the Hustler magazine
    or then throw in in the garbage if I think that's where it belongs!" " Freedom to make choices for ourselves as adults- that is a magnificent way to live and I wanna protect that freedom"

Now there was this guy called George Bush here in Austin ( man did he **** up everything for his country!). He's bureaucrats decided to make choices for us. Do you think that there is any hope that some day they will come to senses and change that law, legalize the online gambling and tax it? Many states have they budgets in deficit, they need money, and extra tax revenue. At the same time businesses running away from US markets like rats from the sinking ship. Lastly MB yesterday. Is there any ray of hope that it will change? That would bring in US based houses, stronger competition and billions of dollars in taxes to build roads, schools and hospitals. That would create the issue how to control and tax offshore gambling. Seems to me that they don't wanna deal with it so it is easier just to ban everything, make everything illegal and arrest everybody like in communist China!
    Will that day come or do we have to wait for a senate with the democrat majority for that to happen?

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/07/onl...le-minton.html
    WTO thing was years ago, they agreed on a settlement of some sort. Basically the WTO said give us a sh*tload of money or else stop allowing internet gambling on horse racing, the US gave them a sh*tload of money.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrangeTitans View Post
    I'm telling u guys. The politicians use gamblers the same way addicts and alcoholics are used
    really, if you are in real pain good luck getting anything, they would rather have you drink your self to death, nonsense if you take a pill you end up an addict, yet booze flows everywhere

thespeculator

my little rant , sorry to get off topic, but out of all forms of gambling, sports have to be the least favorite of addicts, the action isn't quick, the result takes several hours, in the case of golf 4 days, i would think the addicts prefer horses, which the government accepts as legal, amazing isn't it
    Last edited by thespeculator; 03-02-11 at 05:17 AM.

loyd
    loyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1758

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa View Post
    My understanding that in U.K. and Australia gambling is legal and winnings not subject to tax
    in Australia and the UK, gamblers don't pay taxes but the books have to pay. the govs of these 2 countries understood that most of the cash will end up in the books pockets and its where they want to get their share.

12 Last