shaggy3000
    shaggy3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

why do Bookie's get such a bad name?

there seems to always be a negative view towards bookies. i dont get it. its not his fault you can pick a winner. he isnt asking you to bet beyond your means. i actually have found my bookie to be a great guy. when i got in trouble with the law he allowed me to make payments because he knew i was tight on money at the time. and just today i met him to give him some money ( which i lost by making bad bets ) and he asked how my job search has been going and when i told him not well he said to call him after the super bowl and hell set me up with some people he use to work with when he was a head hunter. i might have gotten the exception to the rule but i think bookies are great and if i had a bankroll i would love to go down that career path

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

hes just tryna get paid. he wants you to have a job so you can pay him.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

bookies are smart
    most gamblers are not

csm506
    csm506's Avatar Become A Pro!

that is right on, he gets nothing if you have no bucks and you have no action

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

every local I've ever met or dealt with has been a pretty good guy just trying to make some cash.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

He owns you. Now he is doing you favors to get you a job. You will owe him in more ways then one.

RollPlayer
    RollPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Probably because of the occaisional bad story about collecting on debts. It's a shame, a few bad apples ruin the bunch

txmagnolia2
    txmagnolia2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I play poker with my husband's just about evey week.

shaggy3000

Quote Originally Posted by B1GER1C828 View Post
    hes just tryna get paid. he wants you to have a job so you can pay him.
    i paid him. i was actually giving him back the money he gave me a couple weeks ago. im 100% paid up. dont need to string it along like some guys on here

pmidy88
    Brett Favre Best QB of All Times
    pmidy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

its because on tv all they do is portray the bookie as a big buff dude who will kick you ass if you dont pay them lol

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

they let degens bet on credit

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have had the same bookie for many years. He is my friend, I go to his house for cookouts & drink with him. He is the nicest guy I can imagine anyone being.

People kiss a preachers ass & give him money freely when he passes a hat around. But unlike any preacher I've ever met or even my parents, my bookie has never ever lied to me or tried to make me believe something he wasn't 100% sure of. So I have a deep reverence for my bookie. He's the most honest & trustworthy man I know.

I was a bookie for several years myself. And I'm sure I was hated by some people, but it was only the people who didn't respect the code we live by. I live by a code & I treat respect with more respect than you've given me. But I also treat disrespect that way & that's the end you want no fukin part of

bobbyfk
    Las Vegas Local
    bobbyfk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

"You Pay You Play"

THE PROFIT

but to answer your question, bookies get a bad name because they work in the shadows on the outside of the law. But they are providing a service that everyone wants. They deal with real ass holes on a daily basis who try to fuk them over so they have to use unorthodox measures sometimes to get these coksukers in line.

Its all a balance of our society. You cant please all the people all the time, just ask President Obama

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

The sorry part is the stiffs usually starts out hot early because they're playing with free money. So the bookie would probably lose a few grand the first weeks, before the stiff starts losing fast.

The part the bookie has to deal with that sux is the slow pay back or the stiff completely disappearing. Bookie's run a smart business but also has a tough job due to stiffs.

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    The sorry part is the stiffs usually starts out hot early because they're playing with free money. So the bookie would probably lose a few grand the first weeks, before the stiff starts losing fast.

The part the bookie has to deal with that sux is the slow pay back or the stiff completely disappearing. Bookie's run a smart business but also has a tough job due to stiffs.
    if hes really running a smart biz stiffs will be few & far between. It was easier to get hired by IBM than playing with me

shaggy3000

Quote Originally Posted by THE PROFIT View Post

if hes really running a smart biz stiffs will be few & far between. It was easier to get hired by IBM than playing with me
    what do you mean? how did you keep the slow payers away?

by giving bookies a bad name? jk
    Last edited by shaggy3000; 02-02-11 at 12:57 AM.

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy3000 View Post
    what do you mean? how did you keep the slow payers away?

by giving bookies a bad name? jk
    you dont just take anyone, its a process, & people are held accountable for their actions