So not surprising. This country has more gamblers than anywhere else I've lived by far.
We're losing our shirts here. No wonder why we get once per day same/next day free withdrawals
Comment
Domestic
SBR Hall of Famer
02-10-09
6323
#3
Originally posted by shari91
So not surprising. This country has more gamblers than anywhere else I've lived by far. We're losing our shirts here. No wonder why we get once per day same/next day free withdrawals
True!
Comment
Nard Dog
Restricted User
05-18-10
315
#4
Wow, that surprised me. I thought it'd be USA by a mile.
Comment
DitKent
SBR High Roller
09-11-10
189
#5
what did u expect from a country full of rednecks or "bogans" as we call them
Comment
Ace_of_Spades
SBR Posting Legend
10-14-09
13518
#6
This has already been discussed somewhere on players talk.
Comment
StraitShooter
SBR Posting Legend
07-22-09
10464
#7
Originally posted by shari91
So not surprising. This country has more gamblers than anywhere else I've lived by far.
We're losing our shirts here. No wonder why we get once per day same/next day free withdrawals
japan has way ,more gamblers..asians are way smarter though..thats why they made the laptop on your sweet thighs..the tv for your beautiful eyes..the ps 3 that will give your child heavenly cries
and what you got..Crocadile Dundee and Austrailian Rules football?
come to think of it why dont we hear shari yapping out aussie football tidbits..something more than "Geelong"
Comment
StraitShooter
SBR Posting Legend
07-22-09
10464
#8
Guess the "Luck of the Irish" aint so good
Nice post Domestic..wonder how factual
Comment
ACoochy
SBR Posting Legend
08-19-09
13949
#9
Originally posted by StraitShooter
japan has way ,more gamblers..asians are way smarter though..thats why they made the laptop on your sweet thighs..the tv for your beautiful eyes..the ps 3 that will give your child heavenly cries and what you got..Crocadile Dundee and Austrailian Rules football? come to think of it why dont we hear shari yapping out aussie football tidbits..something more than "Geelong"
Good to see the mega rich university education has equipped you with adequate basic grammar
Comment
shari91
BARRELED IN @ SBR!
02-23-10
32661
#10
Strait, considering I'm not an Aussie you probably don't want any AFL plays from me since I only learned about the sport a few years ago. But if you check out the More Sports subforum you'll see plenty of Aussies with great AFL, NRL and cricket threads.
Comment
StraitShooter
SBR Posting Legend
07-22-09
10464
#11
huge word though" Legal" forms of gambling..which means american's off shore percentage not equated producing a huge variance in actual percentage
Comment
shari91
BARRELED IN @ SBR!
02-23-10
32661
#12
Originally posted by StraitShooter
Guess the "Luck of the Irish" aint so good Nice post Domestic..wonder how factual
As far as the info being factual, the Economist is one of the most well-respected financial publications in the world so I'd tend to believe they've done their research here.
Comment
StraitShooter
SBR Posting Legend
07-22-09
10464
#13
Originally posted by ACoochy
Good to see the mega rich university education has equipped you with adequate basic grammar
I just rattle off the words and dont check homie..truth be known when I was supposed to be going to high school..I was sneakin off , getting stoned and going home to watch "The Big Valley"..
I never finished high school much less college..I never even got a GED..did something right..at 47 been retired 2 years and am able to sit up at 3am not worrying about getting up in 3-4 hours unless its to grab a shot of expresso, bong hit and watch sportscenter
Comment
StraitShooter
SBR Posting Legend
07-22-09
10464
#14
Originally posted by shari91
As far as the info being factual, the Economist is one of the most well-respected financial publications in the world so I'd tend to believe they've done their research here.
yeah I was looking at that after I posted.It was the Economist..not the national Enquirer..You have a good point
Comment
barcelonafc
SBR Sharp
02-16-11
428
#15
quite a strange poll, never expected to see finland up there, were the fuk is india?
the gameble huge amounts of poppy.
Comment
StraitShooter
SBR Posting Legend
07-22-09
10464
#16
Originally posted by barcelonafc
quite a strange poll, never expected to see finland up there, were the fuk is india?
the gameble huge amounts of poppy.
guess they dont have much but cricket
Comment
Domestic
SBR Hall of Famer
02-10-09
6323
#17
Originally posted by StraitShooter
Guess the "Luck of the Irish" aint so good Nice post Domestic..wonder how factual
Yeah, I'm surprised Britain is not a lot higher.
Comment
chachi
SBR MVP
02-16-07
4571
#18
some Greeks and Cypriots I know here are THE biggest degens / chasers / etc I have met in all my years in Europe
Comment
Hareeba!
BARRELED IN @ SBR!
07-01-06
34300
#19
Originally posted by barcelonafc
quite a strange poll, never expected to see finland up there, were the fuk is india?
the gameble huge amounts of poppy.
almost all of it illegal
Comment
chachi
SBR MVP
02-16-07
4571
#20
indeed Hareeba ...
if one included all of the Pakistani and Indian money wagered on the sly on Cricket, that table would be v different ...
Comment
Sawyer
SBR Hall of Famer
06-01-09
7874
#21
Originally posted by chachi
some Greeks and Cypriots I know here are THE biggest degens / chasers / etc I have met in all my years in Europe
mediterranean people
You should add Turks too. Greeks, Cypriots & Turks..Very emotional gamblers..No control.
Comment
jjgold
SBR Aristocracy
07-20-05
388201
#22
Aussies probably are some of your biggest squares in the world
The do love action though
Comment
Roxxyfish
SBR Posting Legend
06-26-09
12066
#23
the united kingdom is , by far, and the russians
Comment
jjgold
SBR Aristocracy
07-20-05
388201
#24
Asia probably has the most
Canadians are the sharpest
USA mainly squares
Israel sharp as blades
Germans sharp
UK average
Comment
ryanjep
SBR MVP
12-09-08
2556
#25
never would have guessed australia
Comment
shari91
BARRELED IN @ SBR!
02-23-10
32661
#26
Originally posted by jjgold
Asia probably has the most Canadians are the sharpest USA mainly squares Israel sharp as blades Germans sharp UK average
Did you even look at the chart????
I thank you for saying Canadians are the sharpest but do you see what the chart says: They have the 4th largest losses per resident adult in the world as far as legal gambling is concerned. Britain and the US are below them.
Not so sharp pal.
Comment
Ruifgalmeida
SBR MVP
04-23-08
2024
#27
In my country the bigest degenerates are the asians especialy Chinese , you walk in to a casino looks like you are in Beijing. They live to gamble
Comment
DitKent
SBR High Roller
09-11-10
189
#28
as op said its based on relative to population
Comment
shari91
BARRELED IN @ SBR!
02-23-10
32661
#29
"net spending in the country’s legal forms of betting divided by the number of residents over age 16"
For every person in Australia over the age 16 - of which there were 18.3 million by the end of 2010 (the year of the study), $1300 was lost on gambling.
Damn. That's pretty bad when I look at it like that.
Comment
Alt75
Restricted User
07-02-10
573
#30
Comment
JerseyLove
SBR MVP
02-15-10
2183
#31
Lol wasn't the crocodile hunter a tout before he was famous?
Comment
shari91
BARRELED IN @ SBR!
02-23-10
32661
#32
Alt
You're right though - it's the pokies that are sucking away people's money. Can't believe how popular they are here.
Comment
mrmarket
SBR MVP
01-26-10
4953
#33
The article is entertaining fluff but nothing more than that. People with higher expendable incomes tend to gamble more so you see the big economies with relatively low populations dominating the list. I would have preferred to see losses as a % of income as the metric used. But what can you do? I would love it if someone did an actual study including illegal forms but it is unrealistic not to mention you have to factor in people crossing borders to gamble who don't report it (Asians in Vegas/Macau).
My guess from personal experience is that Asian countries would completely dominate the list.
Comment
Dr.Gonzo
SBR MVP
12-05-09
4660
#34
It's because we have the most poker machines per head of population by miles and a national totalizator that has a betting shop in every pub.
I actually wish they would ban poker machines because the degenerate money would flood other markets.
Comment
shari91
BARRELED IN @ SBR!
02-23-10
32661
#35
mrmarket, while I agree with you generally that high expendable incomes = more to spend on gambling and will skew the results, the sad fact is that anyone who lives in Australia will probably be willing to lay a nice wager that a large chunk of our figure comes from low to very low income people who are playing slot machines.
"Mr Wilkie (an Aussie MP) said Australians lost around $14 million a day through poker machines and there were 95,000 people seriously addicted.
'Australia has almost 200,000 poker machines which are among the most dangerous in the world," Mr Wilkie said.
'People routinely lose $1200 an hour gambling on pokies in Australia because they're high-intensity machines with high bet limits, fast games, big jackpots and substantial cash load up capacity."
That's what Alt's picture is referencing: Centrelink is the national welfare organisation; pokies = slots. It's a massive problem here, to the point that ATM's located in pubs with slots have a limit on how much you can withdraw each day and now the Prime Minister has said she's going to pass legislation where you'd need to use a Smart Card with a pre-set limit on it in order to use this machines so it limits the amount you can lose per day. It's an epidemic here.