Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

R.I.P. Malcom Young of AC/DC

Originally Published By:

Music royalty Malcolm Young, the Australian guitarist and AC/DC co-founder, has died aged 64.

Known for the powerhouse riffs and rhythm guitar that propelled the Sydney group to superstardom, Young had been suffering from dementia for the past three years.

He was replaced by nephew Stevie for the band’s last tour promoting the 2014 album “Rock Or Bust.” He wanted the band to continue the tour.

“Mal always wanted the music to go on,” singer Brian Johnson told Rolling Stone in 2014. “And I’m not going to say no.”

According to Angus Young, Malcolm started battling symptoms of dementia before they made their 2008 album “Black Ice,” but he was “still capable of knowing what he wanted to do”.

“I had said to him, ‘Do you want to go through with what we’re doing?’ And he said, ‘Sh-t, yeah.’”

Malcolm started getting treatment during his last tour with the band from 2008 to 2010 and during which he had to relearn the very riffs he’d come up with.

It was strange for him, Angus told Rolling Stone, “but he was always a confident guy, and we made it work”.

He died peacefully on Saturday with his family by his bedside, a statement said.

“Renowned for his musical prowess, Malcolm was a songwriter, guitarist, performer, producer and visionary who inspired many,” the statement read. “From the outset, he knew what he wanted to achieve and, along with his younger brother, took to the world stage giving their all at every show. Nothing less would do for their fans.”

Young founded AC/DC in November 1973 and soon asked Angus to join when they were 20 and 18 years old respectively.

They began national touring in 1974 with singer Dave Evans

He is survived by his wife Linda and two children.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

AC/DC was one awesome band.

Dementia is a tricky one. Who knows if he was all there? RIP, Mr Young.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    AC/DC was one awesome band.

Dementia is a tricky one. Who knows if he was all there? RIP, Mr Young.
    Pretty sure I'd happily take any horrible death suffering there is to offer over the dementia, so sad when you see someone losing it upstairs. So very tough on the family.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They do not make bands like this anymore

now all white and black trash people

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Pretty sure I'd happily take any horrible death suffering there is to offer over the dementia, so sad when you see someone losing it upstairs. So very tough on the family.
    love you as a fellow Cardinal fan
    but this shows you havent been hit with real personal suffering
    to a very high degree in your life

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    They do not make bands like this anymore

now all white and black trash people
    Goldy, nice tribute. Remember all the classics?

"Thunderstruck", "Hell's Bells", "...he's got Big Balls."

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I feel bad for new generation people as they have no clue what good music was

Unreal black and white talent 50's-80's

ACDC LEGENDS

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    love you as a fellow Cardinal fan
    but this shows you havent been hit with real personal suffering
    to a very high degree in your life
    It really doesn't but whatever you say. I'm more concerned for others than myself and I've seen how hard dementia ,Alzheimer's , etc is on the victims family as their minds destroyed. Perhaps you can inform me on what level of real suffering I don't understand?

I wouldn't label anything I been through a "high degree" of personal suffering but I'm a tough grader and have seen many go thru far worse than I've had to thus far.. most suffering I've seen thought of as a high degree was really only a 6-7 tops on scale to 10. Always room for more unless you talking about horrible fates not suffered by the majority.

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17029

Saw them at the Cow Palace 1984 ish. Brian Johnson pulled the rope to ring the bell. No noise. Classic.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    It really doesn't but whatever you say. I'm more concerned for others than myself and I've seen how hard dementia ,Alzheimer's , etc is on the victims family as their minds destroyed. Perhaps you can inform me on what level of real suffering I don't understand?

I wouldn't label anything I been through a "high degree" of personal suffering but I'm a tough grader and have seen many go thru far worse than I've had to thus far.. most suffering I've seen thought of as a high degree was really only a 6-7 tops on scale to 10. Always room for more unless you talking about horrible fates not suffered by the majority.
    I guess I could of worded what I said differently, my bad man

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

oh wow

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

JJ, you ever been pounded from behind with You Shook Me All Night Long playing in the background on an all night loop?

Philmill
    Philmill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28643

R.I.P. Malcom

One of the Greats

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

He was in bad shape for awhile. I remember an interview with Angus where he said Malcolm couldn't remember their songs anymore. So Sad.

R.I.P. Malcolm

HurryUpAndDrink
    HurryUpAndDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

RIP Malcolm...

ACDC is the epitome band for guitar riffs hands down.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

One of the greats in music RIP Malcom even JJ knows it.