1. #1
    Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-05
    Posts: 58,063
    Betpoints: 37

    Being on the "Right Side" means ONLY one thing

    The winning $ide - PERIOD

    Guys - Be Sharp and dont talk about having the "The Right Side" on a losing bet
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: EaglesPhan36, and stealthyburrito

  2. #2
    5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-21-11
    Posts: 50,791
    Betpoints: 29442

    ur right Sam

    thats about as funny as crying a game is fixed cause u lose a bet

  3. #3
    PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-06-08
    Posts: 36,585

    Word........

  4. #4
    DudleyDawson
    DudleyDawson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-10-12
    Posts: 5,658

    right side means nothing to me

    I don't even watch most of the shit I bet on

    just check scores long after it's over

    how the score got to the final score I couldn't care less

    If you get real lucky or real unlucky on a bet it all evens out, imo

  5. #5
    jameski999
    jameski999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-17-11
    Posts: 1,540
    Betpoints: 4260

    So week 3 having the Seattle Seahawks was the right side only because it won? Don't agree, lots of "right side" bets don't win and that's gambling

  6. #6
    DudleyDawson
    DudleyDawson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-10-12
    Posts: 5,658

    Quote Originally Posted by jameski999 View Post
    So week 3 having the Seattle Seahawks was the right side only because it won? Don't agree, lots of "right side" bets don't win and that's gambling
    the people on GB in that MNF football game probably were on the lions on thanksgiving day when forsett was clearly down on that td call....it all evens out

  7. #7
    ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-07-08
    Posts: 18,815
    Betpoints: 1694

    Quote Originally Posted by jameski999 View Post
    So week 3 having the Seattle Seahawks was the right side only because it won? Don't agree, lots of "right side" bets don't win and that's gambling
    Do right side bets put money in my account?

  8. #8
    byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-13-08
    Posts: 3,067
    Betpoints: 2284

    Ya Navy -8.5 is a lock.

  9. #9
    crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-29-10
    Posts: 16,896
    Betpoints: 39

    so if you had chargers +22.5 in sb xxix and lost by a pt you couldnt make an argument it was the right side?

  10. #10
    tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-02-12
    Posts: 9,078
    Betpoints: 76

    For gods sake people, this is the dumbest thing ever. If I offered you navy -20 -120, and army +20 +100. The right side is army, unless you are roughly 13 points better then every other books no vig line. Don't care if navy covers, it would be a losing proposition in the long run.

    People do overstate the fact that they were on the right side, because few people know when they truly have an edge, but to say the winning side is always right.... Don't make me go to the coin example.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: thetrinity, and Duff85

  11. #11
    EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-06-06
    Posts: 71,662

    Been saying this for years. If you lose and it's a bad beat, you can say it was a good try but it's still a loser. Good post Sam.

  12. #12
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 17,481
    Betpoints: 1562

    Quote Originally Posted by jameski999 View Post
    So week 3 having the Seattle Seahawks was the right side only because it won? Don't agree, lots of "right side" bets don't win and that's gambling
    That was the "right side" and it won.

  13. #13
    Derp
    Derp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-20-12
    Posts: 102
    Betpoints: 439

    Being sharp doesn't mean you win every bet, it means you are on the right side. I don't believe there is a "right side" on every game.

  14. #14
    darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-18-10
    Posts: 5,722
    Betpoints: 2882

    its all how someone decides what "right" means

    people have different definitions

    bottom line winning is what obv matters

    rather be on the "wrong side" and be 20-0 picking than "right side" and be 0-20

  15. #15
    DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-07-08
    Posts: 9,692

    This thread is stupid. If you think every side that wins was the correct bet you're a terrible bettor. If you can watch a game and acknowledge when you're on the wrong side and win, as well as when youre on the right side and lose (without bias) you will improve as a handicapper.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 5 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: k13, tto827, InTheDrink, JohnGalt2341, and Chili_Powder

  16. #16
    Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-05
    Posts: 58,063
    Betpoints: 37

    Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post

    This thread is stupid.

    yes , if one rather be 'Right' and lose money than be 'Wrong' and win $$$

  17. #17
    rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-20-05
    Posts: 22,291
    Betpoints: 207814

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    yes , if one rather be 'Right' and lose money than be 'Wrong' and win $$$
    You could of bet La Tech +6.5 and won vs. A&M and in a rematch they would be a 22 point dog

  18. #18
    InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-23-09
    Posts: 23,983
    Betpoints: 527

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    yes , if one rather be 'Right' and lose money than be 'Wrong' and win $$$
    Yeah if your goal is to win one game or at best win short term. Good concept.

  19. #19
    Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-05
    Posts: 58,063
    Betpoints: 37

    Guys who can pat themselves on the back after LOSING $$$ because they had the 'right side' are perpetual losers - Somehow they cant feel better about themselves and accept losing


    Been there , done that...

  20. #20
    tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-02-12
    Posts: 9,078
    Betpoints: 76

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    Guys who can pat themselves on the back after LOSING $$$ because they had the 'right side' are perpetual losers - Somehow they cant feel better about themselves and accept losing
    So you are saying that getting the best numbers on spreads and ML is useless...... Please let me know how that works out in the long run.

  21. #21
    Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-05
    Posts: 58,063
    Betpoints: 37

    Getting the best # on your preferred team is a different kettle of fish

    However , if your preferred team does NOT cash then it is after the fact the "wrong side"

  22. #22
    dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-28-10
    Posts: 3,855
    Betpoints: 377

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    Guys who can pat themselves on the back after LOSING $$$ because they had the 'right side' are perpetual losers - Somehow they cant feel better about themselves and accept losing


    Been there , done that...
    Wrong... I lose all the time but never care. Just like I never care when I win. Because I'm not gambling. I'm investing in +EV opportunities (edges). And therefore, I'm always on the right side.

    If you can't get your mind around that, then YOU sir are the perpetual loser.

  23. #23
    Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-05
    Posts: 58,063
    Betpoints: 37

    dj_

    keep thinking (fooling yourself) your losers are the 'Right Sides'

  24. #24
    DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-07-08
    Posts: 9,692

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    yes , if one rather be 'Right' and lose money than be 'Wrong' and win $$$
    Do you have an elementary education? Do you understand simple math?

    If you bet the wrong side, say a side that wins 4 out of 10 times, versus the right side that wins 6 out of 10 times you will certainly have a decent chance of winning the bet. However making this bet every day will cause you to lose money over time.

    Man if you can't grasp this unbelievably simple concept you really do need to stop betting.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RollPlayer

  25. #25
    JohnGalt2341
    The bloom on the rose is oft not wet.
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-31-09
    Posts: 8,757
    Betpoints: 4115

    I agree with DrStale. Let me attempt to simply it the best that I can. If there are 100 marbles in a bag... 90 of them blue and 10 of them red and somebody offers you Even odds that you can't blindly pick out a blue marble should you take it? YES, of course. If you pull out a red marble does that mean that you are on the "wrong side"? Of course not. "Wrong sides" are going to win their fair share... that doesn't mean they are a wise bet.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 12-08-12 at 04:10 PM.

  26. #26
    Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-05
    Posts: 58,063
    Betpoints: 37

    JohnG & Stale but be Remote Viewers or Soothsayers Betting a future sporting event is NOT static, 4 out of 10 or 90/10 , and talking about getting even odds on a any of those preset outcomes is a strawman

  27. #27
    wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-17-10
    Posts: 3,063
    Betpoints: 3834

    Some games dont have a wrong or right side. Thats where those lucky wins and unlucky beats come in.

    Generally if one single play is enough to effect a line then there was neither a right or a wrong side of a game. That just means the line was close enough to the final score differential to matter.

    Lines arent predictions in the first place, theyre made to entice, confuse, and coerce people into betting one side or the other.

    The way people USED to bet was to figure out who would win and by how much and then bet accordingly. Now a days people look at a line watch where it moves and bet it at some place that hasnt moved yet, and think that will make them money.

    The only time there might be a 'right' side and a 'wrong' result is if a team has a major injury to a player that clearly effects the team and they still almost cover/win anyway. But even then people could argue the rest of the team rallied due to the injury.

  28. #28
    tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-02-12
    Posts: 9,078
    Betpoints: 76

    ^^^ Exactly, lines are made to entice action, not to be unbeatable.

  29. #29
    dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-28-10
    Posts: 3,855
    Betpoints: 377

    Sam Odom is the type of guy that takes -110 on a coin toss and is happy when he wins a few bucks... Thinks he's real sharp.

  30. #30
    PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-06-08
    Posts: 36,585

    Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    ^^^ Exactly, lines are made to entice action, not to be unbeatable.
    And when a line is appealing to one particular side,

    this is by no accident on odds makers part,

    this is a bookmaker wagering the other side,

    plain and simple,

    however the consensus ALL providers feed the public is flawed @ best..............

  31. #31
    tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-02-12
    Posts: 9,078
    Betpoints: 76

    Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    And when a line is appealing to one particular side,

    this is by no accident on odds makers part,

    this is a Bookmaker wagering the other side,

    plain and simple,

    however the consensus ALL providers feed the public is flawed @ best..............
    Yup, that's why I'm convinced you do not have to beat the books to make money, you just need to beat the books perception of the public.

  32. #32
    wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-17-10
    Posts: 3,063
    Betpoints: 3834

    Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Yup, that's why I'm convinced you do not have to beat the books to make money, you just need to beat the books perception of the public.
    Obviously....thats why fading certain teams and betting on other teams will make you money long term.

    It doesnt even have to be 'public' teams or non public teams, books generally rate teams and hold those ratings for a long time, neither lowering or raising them even with over performance or under performance.

  33. #33
    InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-23-09
    Posts: 23,983
    Betpoints: 527

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    JohnG & Stale but be Remote Viewers or Soothsayers Betting a future sporting event is NOT static, 4 out of 10 or 90/10 , and talking about getting even odds on a any of those preset outcomes is a strawman
    Jesus Christ I wish I was this guys book!

  34. #34
    PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-06-08
    Posts: 36,585

    Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

    Jesus Christ I wish I was this guys book!
    Jesus Christ I wish I owned the State Store you frequented...........

  35. #35
    Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-05
    Posts: 58,063
    Betpoints: 37

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post

    JohnG & Stale but be Remote Viewers or Soothsayers Betting a future sporting event is NOT static, 4 out of 10 or 90/10 , and talking about getting even odds on a any of those preset outcomes is a strawman
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

    Jesus Christ I wish I was this guys book!

    Nice ad hominem But you avoided the substance because you're an idiot - give us your BEST 3 'Right Sides' for tomorrow's NFL

12 Last
Top