JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

500 point giveaway!

As some of you may know, I play an abstract strategy game called Hexversi. There's a tournament starting up in a few days on Tuesday, March 10th. Deadline to sign up for that tournament is Monday, March 9th. Signing up at http://itsyourturn.com and signing up for the tourney is FREE. I will be giving away 500 points to the person(not counting me) on SBR that wins the most games in that tournament. How I do personally is irrelevant. The way it works is, once the tournament starts you will be matched up in a bracket with 3 other players(or possibly 2 or 4 but most likely 3). You will play each player in your bracket twice(one of each color). The person that has the best record in their bracket goes to the next round. I don't expect anyone from SBR to win their bracket, you don't have to win your bracket to win the 500 points. You just have to win more games than anyone else from SBR. 1 win out of your 6 games might be enough to win the 500 points.

The game will not be live. Whenever it is your turn to move you will have 28 hours to make your move. Most players move a few times a day. There are currently 39 people(non-SBR) signed up for this tourney. Some are very good, others are terrible. Because of the paradoxical nature of the game and it's simplicity it's not uncommon at all for a newbie to beat an experienced player especially if they are really bad. I will charge a 1 token entry fee in this post. This is simply so it's easy for me to keep track of who's in it. Hexversi has the exact same rules as the game Othello which some of you might know. Watch the minute long video below and you will know all rules. Start at :30.

I prefer Hexversi because there are no computer programs. The board is shaped like a hexagon but the rules are the same as Othello. I prefer it if you sign up at http://itsyourturn.com with the same name you use at SBR. This game is REALLY easy to learn. The motto for these games is "A Minute to Learn, A Lifetime to Master". If anyone has any questions let me know.

Also, if any of you draw an incredibly difficult bracket I will be offering specials so you will have a chance to win points in other ways. I've played most of these people. I know who's good and who's not. I know that several of the people that have signed up are very new to this game which is why it's a perfect time for a newbie to join a tournament like this.

If you are having any trouble figuring out how to sign up for the tourney let me know. Let me know if you any questions at all. Good luck!
    Points Awarded:

Jedi Mind Picks gave JohnGalt2341 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blankoblanco gave JohnGalt2341 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Daniel Espinosa gave JohnGalt2341 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: golgolgol

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

i bet less than 4 people sign up for this shet game

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    i bet less than 4 people sign up for this shet game
    Possibly, we know brain dead gutless cowards like you won't. That's for sure.

It's amazing that you know it's a "shet game" when you've never even played it.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29958

Sounds cool, I might give it a go. Not very experienced with Othello at all but have played it a little

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Sounds cool, I might give it a go. Not very experienced with Othello at all but have played it a little
    Okay cool. If you're the only one that signs up... and you win at least 1 out of your 6 games(I think the chances of this are good depending on your bracket) you will automatically win the 500 points. Let me know if you have any questions signing up or entering the tournament.

Once the games start and you make a couple of moves everything will make perfect sense. I've seen various different openings work well so... don't worry about making a blunder on your first couple of moves.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Had a buddy that played Stratego all day for years outside of his sports betting. The Stratego and betting probably cost him his marriage. Anyway, is this like Stratego at all?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SenorSasa

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

No it's like Othello

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Had a buddy that played Stratego all day for years outside of his sports betting. The Stratego and betting probably cost him his marriage. Anyway, is this like Stratego at all?
    It's Othello but the board is shaped like a hexagon.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

28 hours to make your move

so u can have a game last a whole month nice

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29958

Yeah 28 hours for a move seems like a lot, was wondering how long these tend to last

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Yeah 28 hours for a move seems like a lot, was wondering how long these tend to last
    It's 28 Hours Max. If a person doesn't move in time they get DQ'd and lose the game. People usually move a few times a day. You play 6 games at a time. They'll last a couple of weeks or so.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 03-07-20 at 08:27 PM.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

what if u fail move in 28 hrs are rhey disqualified. im signing up exactly 28 hours 59 mins 59 secs on each move we ll,finish 2021

JohnGalt2341

what if u fail move in 28 hrs are rhey disqualified. im signing up exactly 28 hours 59 mins 59 secs on each move we ll,finish 2021
    Good luck with that

Wegmine9
    Wegmine9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2216

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Big fan of vile Nazi scum huh?

ace7550
    ace7550's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7772

I've played Othello. It's hard as fuk. Makes chess look easy.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by ace7550 View Post
    I've played Othello. It's hard as fuk. Makes chess look easy.
    Nah. It's ages 6 and up. It's just difficult to master. I used to play a lot of Chess. It's so chaotic and complex. I would usually think for several minutes on every move because you almost always have so many different places you can move and you always have to be thinking ahead and worry about what your opponent is going to do next. With Hexversi, you usually only have a handful of places you can go on any given turn. Thinking ahead isn't really necessary. It's all about positioning. I rarely ever think ahead even a single move in Hexversi and almost never more than a couple of moves. I usually make my move within 10 seconds of looking at the board... and it's usually less than that. I rarely ever worry about where my opponent is going to move. It's not necessary most of the time. You only need to worry about your own positioning in these games. I just play soundly and wait for my opponent to make a mistake, and they usually do.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

i signed up and registered for a practice game

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

the graphics on this site are shet what are they from the 70's

JohnGalt2341

the graphics on this site are shet what are they from the 70's
    That's true, they are. The site hasn't changed much in the last 20 years or so. For Hexversi it doesn't really matter. Below is what the board looks like at the start of the game:

Green moves first. I put the X's in to show the legal places where Green can move. Great graphics are not really necessary for this game. But I agree... the site is by no means hi-tech. If anyone has any questions about the rules or the site let me know.

JohnGalt2341

It's difficult to practice quickly at http://itsyourturn.com because the games aren't live.

But here's a site where you can practice regular Reversi/Othello https://www.mathsisfun.com/games/reversi.html

Just click the check or the X and you can start a game and play against a computer Live. There are 3 different levels of difficulty.

JohnGalt2341

If you decide to sign up for the tournament... on the main page click on Tournament area, it's 2 spots under SPY on your left. Then click on March 2020 Open Fast #1 Tournament. Then find Hexversi, click on the box next to it. Then click on submit at the bottom of the page. You are now signed up for the tournament.

There are currently 49 people signed up for this tournament. Not all of these players are good... I assure you of this. I can't tell if anyone from SBR has signed up yet but if they haven't... all you have to do to win the 500 points is win at least 1 of your 6 games.

Depending on how many people sign up for this before Tuesday... this might the easiest 500 points to ever be made on SBR.

Daniel Espinosa
    Daniel Espinosa's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 34193

Im in. What´s 1 token entry fee though?

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

it says on tournament page monday march 9 sign up by

JohnGalt2341

it says on tournament page monday march 9 sign up by
    Correct. Tournament will start on March 10th. You have until the 9th to sign up.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Espinosa View Post
    Im in. What´s 1 token entry fee though?
    I was just hoping to have an easy way to keep track of who signed up. As long as you use your same name on the website, it doesn't really matter that much. Transferring 1 token in post 1 is optional... it just makes it easy for me to see who's going to be in the tourney.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

galt is trying to steal your point bro watch him

Jedi Mind Picks
    Jedi Mind Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

I'm in.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    galt is trying to steal your point bro watch him

Also, once the tournament starts(on Tuesday), I'm going to make a list of who I think is going to win each division/bracket. Each division will have 4 players(some could have 3 or 5). Each player plays everyone in their division twice(one of each color). All of these games will start on Tuesday. The person who wins the most games in their division advances to the next round. If it's a tie for 1st, all players tied will advance. The SBR players need not win their division to win the 500 points. They just need to win more total games than the other SBR players in the tournament. If there is a tie, we can have a playoff or split the prize. I will leave that up to you. I would prefer a playoff.

I will post my division winner predictions on Tuesday evening(possibly morning). After I post my division winners predictions, any SBR players can post their predictions as well... however... they can't choose any of the same people that I predict to win. If my prediction is wrong... and your prediction is right... you will win 50 points for every one I got wrong and you got right. If a division is a tie for first... you can't win points unless my prediction did not advance and yours did. There are currently 51 players signed up for this tournament so far which means... there should be at least 13 divisions. That means there will be at least 13 different opportunities to win 50 points each.

I will also be offering up specials to SBR players that end up in a particularly difficult division. There's a lot of points to be made in this thing. I have no idea how many total points I will be giving away but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a lot. I have I have a feeling that anyone that is on the fence about joining this thing is going to be kicking themselves if they don't. For those of you that have the balls to join... good luck to you!

If anyone has any questions... let me know.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

are u

bodaciousbutterbean

Daniel Espinosa
    Daniel Espinosa's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 34193

Ok, I wasnt sure if you meant 1 SBR point or something else from the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    I was just hoping to have an easy way to keep track of who signed up. As long as you use your same name on the website, it doesn't really matter that much. Transferring 1 token in post 1 is optional... it just makes it easy for me to see who's going to be in the tourney.

JohnGalt2341

are u

bodaciousbutterbean
    No. I'm Holden2341

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Anybody around here seen my "corona virus death pool" contest thread????

sbr error.... tried to create new thread and it wound up in here.....
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 03-09-20 at 09:54 AM.

JohnGalt2341

Last day to sign up! Tournament starts tomorrow! I'm expecting 55+ people in the tourney. Only 2 verified on SBR for sure... but I'm expecting at least 4. I'll have special offers for all of those that signed up from SBR throughout the tournament.

I'll have my division winner predictions out tomorrow night. I'll give people until Friday the 13th to make their predictions for the division winners. Good luck!

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    Last day to sign up! Tournament starts tomorrow! I'm expecting 55+ people in the tourney. Only 2 verified on SBR for sure... but I'm expecting at least 4. I'll have special offers for all of those that signed up from SBR throughout the tournament.

I'll have my division winner predictions out tomorrow night. I'll give people until Friday the 13th to make their predictions for the division winners. Good luck!
    I might still get in it. Do they need to know my blood type or scan my eyes in order to play? Deadline on time?

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

im in to win

1 game at least

when do u think tourny end september

1234 ... Last