MrSink
    MrSink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4888

Doug vs dneg challenge

Anyone heard about that ? Odds posted already . Your thoughts ?

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24845

I haven't heard about it. A few basic thoughts:

1) By all accts, both are financially secure. Dneg has said for a while that he did very well in poker (maybe years ago more than recently). Polk had a huge score winning High Roller ($3.7Mill) in 2017, wonder how much of that risk he held himself.

2) In terms of skill, I've always thought of Dneg as more of an ABC player. My view is that he doesn't get out of line too much.

Polk, of course, is a bluffer. How do u counter that?

Most interesting hand Polk was involved in has to be the 2017 semi-bluff vs Martin Jacobsen (in above-referenced tournament). I still don't know how Jacobsen folded top-pair w/ a flush-draw on turn. At a minimum, he's 90-cents on the dollar.

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13767

Over 25k hands I'd set the line as Polk -5000. It's that much of a lock it's not even funny.

While Polk has been out of the game for years he was one of the best HU poker players in the world. I'm shocked DNegs even agreed to this. Polk actually may end up winning 40bb/100 +

Where are odds posted? Ill max bet Polk for my entire net worth. Edit: I see it's on Timex site but no USA wagers allowed.

At 10bb/100 Polk would win $1,000,000.
    Last edited by Crusherrr; 07-30-20 at 10:43 AM.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51613

Quote Originally Posted by Crusherrr View Post
    Over 25k hands I'd set the line as Polk -5000. It's that much of a lock it's not even funny.
    While Polk has been out of the game for years he was one of the best HU poker players in the world. I'm shocked DNegs even agreed to this. Polk actually may end up winning 40bb/100 +

Where are odds posted? Ill max bet Polk for my entire net worth. Edit: I see it's on Timex site but no USA wagers allowed.

Been expecting this for awhile - surprised it didn't happen earlier. Way Polk has called him out, figured a challenge of this nature would have occurred years ago.

As for Negreanu agreeing to it, not that surprised. Often times things of this nature, even when people know they are almost certainly an underdog, they feel their ego is at stake. He once also said he believed he could beat the highest NL games online even though he had little experience playing them, and those who do play them consistently have devoted years to mastering trying to beat that particular game.

Again, given what an "ambassador" he sees himself as, I think he feels compelled to say things like that/accept challenges of this nature even if he knows it's not true/that he's likely to lose - after all what would his fans say about him if someone very publicly challenged him, and he refused?
    Points Awarded:

cincinnatikid513 gave ArunSh 1100 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Crusherrr

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post
    Been expecting this for awhile - surprised it didn't happen earlier. Way Polk has called him out, figured a challenge of this nature would have occurred years ago.

As for Negreanu agreeing to it, not that surprised. Often times things of this nature, even when people know they are almost certainly an underdog, they feel their ego is at stake. He once also said he believed he could beat the highest NL games online even though he had little experience playing them, and those who do play them consistently have devoted years to mastering trying to beat that particular game.

Again, given what an "ambassador" he sees himself as, I think he feels compelled to say things like that/accept challenges of this nature even if he knows it's not true/that he's likely to lose - after all what would his fans say about him if someone very publicly challenged him, and he refused?
    He's going to be embarrassed. I guess it just seems silly to me that he would accept. He has nothing to prove and nothing to gain. But he will almost certainly lose $1m +

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51613

He's going to be embarrassed. I guess it just seems silly to me that he would accept. He has nothing to prove and nothing to gain. But he will almost certainly lose $1m +
    Yeah, it's tricky. Without knowing exactly what's going on in his mind, hard to assess. Perhaps he really believes that he might have a good chance to win/thinks he's a favorite. I really have no idea.

If, as you suggest, he's a huge underdog (which I tend to believe as well) and knows it, yes does seem silly. He might satisfy his ego initially by not backing down to the challenge, but when he loses, it will be even worse for him indeed.

ChuckyTheGoat

Would like to know how many Blinds deep they're playing. How many rounds, etc?

Poker in the basic form is never supposed to be far off a 50/50 game, in the short-run. My point is that even over several 100 hands, it's hard to demonstrate skill advantage. I wouldn't view a one-day event as an all-telling demonstration of skill.

Crusherrr

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Would like to know how many Blinds deep they're playing. How many rounds, etc?

Poker in the basic form is never supposed to be far off a 50/50 game, in the short-run. My point is that even over several 100 hands, it's hard to demonstrate skill advantage. I wouldn't view a one-day event as an all-telling demonstration of skill.
    Rumor is 25k hands. I'd guess 100bb deep+

Doug is -300 ish favorite now. Still massive value to be had at that price

MrSink

yep , saw only on timex website . all battles like this one is great for poker so that top priority and I will definetely follow closely for pure entertainment value . thanks for stoping by and sharing few words

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Polk was playing low stakes heads up on wsop.com for bankroll challenge was not doing that well. He has a good feel for the game but his ranges are too wide opening almost atc and calling 4 bets with like K6s type hands. Also he doesn't really play anymore I think he is a small fav.

Crusherrr

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Polk was playing low stakes heads up on wsop.com for bankroll challenge was not doing that well. He has a good feel for the game but his ranges are too wide opening almost atc and calling 4 bets with like K6s type hands. Also he doesn't really play anymore I think he is a small fav.
    That's because rake makes it almost impossible to win at the micros until you hit 100NL. He completed the $100 to $10,000 bankroll challenge. It just took a while until he could move up to where the rake didn't eat him alive.

Even being out of the game he's a massive massive favorite. Daniel has virtually never played HU. It's a totally different game and Dnegs will have major leaks that Doug will exploit.

ChuckyTheGoat

I wonder how DNEG views his OWN skill level. Not what he says publicly, but how he feels that he really matches up.

It's been said that Daniel can beat you, he shakes your hand + you root for him. Compare that to Hellmuth, who you despise + then root against him.

I know Daniel used to say that he could learn any game in a week + be skilled at it. I think that's a bad way to look at it. I never got the impression that Daniel was a real technical player, ie someone who studies the detailed player statistics.

BTW, I had a dealer in Vegas tell me a Hellmuth story. You know he has the villain role from all his time on TV. He thought about becoming a kindler + gentler Phil. His agent told that he'd be sacrificing way too much $$ to do that, so Phil decided to keep being the heel.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29922

Yep. This is gonna be a slaughter. Probably a decent chance it doesn't even get completed and Daniel buys out before the halfway mark, getting smacked around for 25k hands sounds pretty demoralizing (not to mention de-money-izing)

It's funny that as much as Negreanu seems to dislike Doug, he's willing to more or less donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to him. He's even admitting he's an underdog in the format, although I'm sure he really doesn't understand just how unfavored he actually is

I'm looking forward to it

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17128

daniel is working on his table talk for this match.

Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave fried cheese 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

MrSink

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    he used to be very competitive high stakes onliine grinder , expect monster preparation , analysing dneg tendencies session to session and dynamic adjustments as his speciality is HU . those few streamed hands from micro stakes are blurring you true picture

overall people do not realize how big of the gap is between online and live poker , as well as how skillful you need to be and how many hours put into improving to be present in online high stakes games for many years in a row
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

Ballerholic
    Ballerholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1806

Doug Polk is light years better than Dnegs and Polk was the best HU player in the world a few years back. Dnegs is too much of a "feel" player and since he's rich AF he didn't keep up with his game. I haven't read anything about this because it's just a publicity stunt, but if only 25k hands Polk can still easily lose. 25k hands is too little in a high variance game. -300 is fair I think.

blankoblanco

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerholic View Post
    Doug Polk is light years better than Dnegs and Polk was the best HU player in the world a few years back. Dnegs is too much of a "feel" player and since he's rich AF he didn't keep up with his game. I haven't read anything about this because it's just a publicity stunt, but if only 25k hands Polk can still easily lose. 25k hands is too little in a high variance game. -300 is fair I think.
    I'll bet whatever amount of betpoints I'm able to acquire on Doug Polk at -400. Full disclosure, your price is way, way, way off

rm18
    Update your status

Betonline has Polk at -275

blankoblanco

Holy crap, that's some free money imo. Where do you see that line? I can't find it, but I'm not too familiar with the site

rm18
    Update your status

Game props

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

When does it start

How do you watch

Does anyone remember pokerpoopy playing on stars nonstop for that bet?

I watched far too much of it

MrSink

@ 12:45 mark , limitless comenting on dneg decision haha