SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Deadbolt

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

No.

Whitten will go in before him and there are a slew of revolutionary TEs from the 80s and 90s still not in....think Steve Jordan type ends.

Gates has lots of catches....thats all.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

🔒lock

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47513

lock

to say Witten is better than Gates is laughable

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Shouldnt be pondered upon.

MinnesotaFats

Shannon Sharpe, Ben Coates, Kieth Jackson, Mark Bavaro, Jay Novachek, Steve Jordan, Eric Green....

The list goes on. You think Gates gets in ahead of all those wins, catches and super bowls?

He's only ever played on 4 winning teams in 15 seasons

jtoler

Sharpe is already in the Hall and since those other guys arnt already in what does that have to do with Gates. He's a tight end, the 4 winning seasons should mean nothing.

MinnesotaFats

It took SS 5 tries to get in, and he's got rings.

All Gates has is catches. The rest of my list each guy has just as many, if not more, all pro selections.

You can't even say Gates was definitely the best TE in any given year with Tony Gonzalez taking the cake early and Witten piling up the same numbers mid 00s thru 2015 and now Gronk.

I don't see why Gates get a HOF bust before any of the TEs I listed or any wide receiver with better numbers. Gates is a 1 dimensional TE with zero rings. Whats the grandios achievement besides longevity?

jtoler

What was the reason it took so long for Sharpe? Cucky writers thought he was cocky or something? I remember my brother really liked Bavaro. I stopped caring for the HOF when it was evident they simply leave guys out for reasons other than accomplishments on the field, its a joke anyway. Sharpe's numbers look about like Witten's. Gates had a penchant for getting in the end zone, he has a heck of a lot more td's.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post

All Gates has is catches. The rest of my list each guy has just as many, if not more, all pro selections.

You can't even say Gates was definitely the best TE in any given year with Tony Gonzalez taking the cake early and Witten piling up the same numbers mid 00s thru 2015 and now Gronk.

I don't see why Gates get a HOF bust before any of the TEs I listed or any wide receiver with better numbers. Gates is a 1 dimensional TE with zero rings. Whats the grandios achievement besides longevity?
    Gates has the all time TE touchdown record.

during his prime he was way more dominant than anyone that you mentioned (many of which were very good players but again, laughable to compare to Gates) except Gonzalez and Sharpe.

you are way off here guy

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

lock....
    easily top 3 greatest TE ever to say anything else is stupid

leads all TES in most touchdowns ever and won multiple divisional titles with his team, sucks he doesnt have a ring but it doesnt take away from his talent

pro bowl 8 times
    first team all pro 3 times
    nfl 2000 all decade team
    most TDs ever for a tight end

912 receptions , 112 touchdowns , over 11k yards
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JAKEPEAVY21

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Shannon Sharpe, Ben Coates, Kieth Jackson, Mark Bavaro, Jay Novachek, Steve Jordan, Eric Green....

The list goes on. You think Gates gets in ahead of all those wins, catches and super bowls?

He's only ever played on 4 winning teams in 15 seasons
    Those guys are as good as antonio gates in his prime? lol. are you just naming old players just to name them?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Eric Green?

I mean he was a solid player for the Steelers, when they sucked... but he had 24 Td's in 5 years there ( 36 for his career)

Gates has 112 TD's

MinnesotaFats

Those guys, especially Novacheck and Jordan, are better players with the same number of All Pro selections.

Green had a 4 year run w Pitt where he was the best TE in the AFC.

Different era of football of course, which I think hurts Gates. He's got a lot of catches and was the 2nd best TE in the league for 6 solid years. The rest of his career is just catching passes on a losing team. Just stat accumulation.

What does AG have in terms of All Pro selections, winning achievements or great plays that makes him better than my list of TEs not in or by comparison any wide receiver like TO, GClark, A Rison, M Duper, S Sharpe or H Willard?

Gates career is nothing special and Tony Gonzolez already got the "Tight end who catches a lot" HOF bust.

Don't need 2 of those w no rings.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Gates and Tomlinson were one of the best teams in the AFC for years man. What are you on? Like saying Barry Sanders or Tomlinson shouldn't be in the hall because no rings? Gates in his prime was a force. Those guys you named aren't better players, not even close.

Also, you can't compare the second greatest WR ever (TO) to a tight end.... We all know that TO hall of fame is just shenanegans, and he'll be in eventually.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Think he should get in, but also that other TEs need to be in already as well.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

no Green didn't. in 3.5 really good seasons in Pittsburgh, he never led the AFC TE's in any stat

you had guys like Shannon Sharpe, like you mentioned..Marv Cook, Pete Metalars, Ben Coates,

I was a huge Steeler fan in that era, and green was a beast. but he doesn't belong in your above list at all.

flash in the pan

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Gates and Tomlinson were one of the best teams in the AFC for years man. What are you on? Like saying Barry Sanders or Tomlinson shouldn't be in the hall because no rings? Gates in his prime was a force. Those guys you named aren't better players, not even close.

Also, you can't compare the second greatest WR ever (TO) to a tight end.... We all know that TO hall of fame is just shenanegans, and he'll be in eventually.
    There's a huge discrepancy in the # of RBs in there and what qualifies them in comparison to WRs and TEs.

There are a lot of OL and DL and linebackers in there that get preferred treatment over WRs and TEs. It's an underrepresented position and Gates not being a blocking TE will get hurt by voters on this.

If he were the best of the best like Shannon Sharpe (4x all pro) and T Gonzalez (6x all pro) he'd get in, but he's not. He's a 3 time all pro like half the guts on my list, who had 5 great seasons, like the other half of my list, with zero rings.

The bar is high for TE and WR. Just catching a lot of balls doesn't cut it. Lots of men had to wait years for HOF.... Gates will be passed by when Witten and Gronk come up in 7-10 years.

JAKEPEAVY21

I wonder if this guy is related to themorino?

putting Eric Green, Coates, Novacheck, Jackson, Bavaro and Jordan in the same breath as Gates is utter stupidity.

I'm guessing Jordan holds a place in heart being a Viking but get real...he had a nice career with 498 receptions, 6307 yards and 28 tds but he couldn't even hold Gates' jock.

you are delusional

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

MinnesotaFats verified Jay Novacek. Pleasure to have a HOF caliber tight end posting with us here

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

He has 50 more TDs than Sharpe. People tend to value that.

Bavaro had 2 good years. Not close to half the yards and 1/3rd of the TDs Gates had.

Really none of those guys are close to Gates.