blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29970

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    Holy crap! Purple made a TERRIBLE blunder on move #14. Move #13 was also bad for purple but #14 was a complete amateur move. You countered it perfectly. You should win this game easily now. I would predict 60-30. Somewhere in that range. I think I could hold this guy to under 10. It won't matter though... you should win this easily.

I looked up this guys stats just now. This is the first time he's ever played this game. He's played over 300 Reversi 10x10 games but this is his first time playing Hexversi. If you can figure out why Purple made such a terrible blunder on move #14 you should be able to start to see the game in a whole new light. That move is the MMA equivalent of giving a Brazilian Jui Jitsu Black Belt your back in an MMA fight.

Nice work! You play pretty well actually. Good instincts. I hope you make it to the next round. I hope I can too. I've got the toughest guy in the tournament in my bracket and he's already outplaying me in at least 1 of the games.
    Thanks! But don't be surprised if I throw my lead away with something bone-headed like he did. I just don't have the experience to know how to plan ahead that well or "force" bad moves, feels like I'm mostly just hoping my opponent makes a clear mistake that I can capitalize on

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    lol. Why you even in this thread Rudy?
    is it collusion or not

seems so

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    is it collusion or not

seems so
    What collusion? Against who? There are only 2 people left in the SBR competition that could win the 500. They are not playing each other. I told blanko his opponent made a terrible blunder. blanko figured this out and capitalized on it right away before I even told him it was a blunder. I didn't tell him where to move or anything like that. Maybe he didn't realize the gravity of his opponents blunder at the time but he would have figured that out whether or not I told him. He was already playing in the right direction before I said anything.

blankoblanco

Rudy has spoken bro, you're banned for colluding with me because of ???? against ???

Life in prison for you

Also I really ****** up a couple moves ago, noticed a sick play right after, hopefully it's still fine

JohnGalt2341

Rudy has spoken bro, you're banned for colluding with me because of ???? against ???

Life in prison for you

Also I really ****** up a couple moves ago, noticed a sick play right after, hopefully it's still fine
    I just looked at your games. I think you'll still win against 2Pl76F as long as you don't make any terrible moves. Your games against Marinella are interesting. One of them is still pretty close. The other... well... I think you're going to have a tough time once it hits around move #30. Maybe sooner.

It's really interesting for me to look at some of these games because my style of play is so different than many of these players. I tend to force games to be more clumpish. It's kind of the only thing I'm really used to. Many of these games are much more wide open and I'm not used to seeing that.

There's a player named FGYTPeti that I think is one of the best players in the tournament. But he's already lost one game and he got beat against a very aggressive style which surprised me. Aggressive players are my favorite style to play but even very good players can be vulnerable against them at times. Nobody plays this game perfectly. I feel like I'm still learning a lot and I know I still have a lot to learn. I've got 2 very close games going on against 2 very good players. I may not make it to the next round.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 03-25-20 at 09:22 PM.

blankoblanco

Most of your games looking pretty solid for you, at least from my newb perspective

But yeah, I think I'm gonna lose all mine lol. I blundered a couple times but also just got boxed in and ran out of moves. I think I have a way better understanding of the mid to endgame now but going into it blind with no previous games under your belt is rough

JohnGalt2341

Most of your games looking pretty solid for you, at least from my newb perspective

But yeah, I think I'm gonna lose all mine lol. I blundered a couple times but also just got boxed in and ran out of moves. I think I have a way better understanding of the mid to endgame now but going into it blind with no previous games under your belt is rough
    Yeah, just a few moves back in both of my games where I am Green I feel like I was being slightly outplayed. Had my opponents played perfectly from there on out I think I could have possibly lost them both and Toptal would have advanced assuming he wins his other games and I think he will. But both of my opponents made some subtle mistakes and I capitalized. I think my endgame is stronger than anyone in the tournament but there are lots of players that can hang with me in the first half of the game and some players like Toptal usually outplay me early on. He makes subtle mistakes on the sides though. Nearly everyone does. It's the hardest part of the game to learn and it's also my specialty. I'm nearly certain I will go 4-0 in my section now. If this was a NCAA tourney I would give Toptal a #1 seed and the other guy in our section I would probably give a #3. I think even the #3 would have won most of the other sections. I'm actually looking forward to an easier 2nd round... I hope.

I looked at your game against 2P. After his terrible blunder... he played absolutely brilliantly. You made some mistakes but his play was really superb after that. I think there's an outside chance you could still win that game against Marinella but if I had to predict... I would guess that both you and Daniel will finish with 3 wins a piece... assuming there are no more timeouts. If that's the case... I think you guys should play each other in a one game playoff for the 500 points. If you just want to split the 500 I'm cool with that too... but now that you guys have some experience... I think it would be an interesting close game between the two of you.

You and Daniel can let me know what you want to do if you both end up with 3 wins a piece.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 03-30-20 at 09:59 PM.

Daniel Espinosa
    Daniel Espinosa's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 34193

Yep, I think I already lost both of my matches unless some miracle happens.

I would prefer just splitting the points, but I'm ok with gamble them over a game

blankoblanco

I guess we'll wait and see if one of us pulls off a surprise win from here. I don't have a strong preference so if we tie and Daniel prefers splitting I'm probably cool with that. Game would be fun but it does tend to take a long time

I mean, it's up to you John, you kindly offered the giveaway so you could just demand we battle for your entertainment

Daniel Espinosa

Agreed, up to you John.

I officially lost my 2 remaining games

JohnGalt2341

I guess we'll wait and see if one of us pulls off a surprise win from here. I don't have a strong preference so if we tie and Daniel prefers splitting I'm probably cool with that. Game would be fun but it does tend to take a long time

I mean, it's up to you John, you kindly offered the giveaway so you could just demand we battle for your entertainment
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Espinosa;29359207[B
    Agreed, up to you John

I officially lost my 2 remaining games
    I would definitely like to see guys play a game to win the 500. You guys are both pretty good players for rookies, just a bit aggressive for my liking. I actually really enjoy watching two aggressive players play each other because I get to see things(patterns) in a game that I almost never get to see. I think you guys are very evenly matched in ability. blanko had a very hard division but he played pretty well and Daniel had an easier division and he won one game outright and barely lost 2 others. I think it would be a really good and interesting game.

I realize the games take a long time to play... but a lot of that is up to your opponent. If you each moved 6 times a day you could finish a game in less than a week. And even 3 moves a day would take only 2 weeks.

Once the entire tournament is over... probably a few months from now, I'll likely start up another one and hopefully get some more people from SBR in it. I have some different ideas for the prizes but it will generally be the same. The 500 prize will most likely be the same. You guys should have an edge against any new players if you choose to join the next tourney.

Btw... when I was fairly new to the Reversi games in 2006 I would go through games of top players and just hit Next, Next, Next... really quickly... paying attention to the patterns of the really good player. I would review an entire game in a few minutes and see if I could identify patterns that the strong players would always make. The patterns were easy to identify... especially when you would do it really quickly. If you thought about each individual move it wouldn't work. But when you do it quickly it's easy to see patterns. I tried to mimic the play of top players... and within about a month I was one of the top players. I almost never think about any given move for more than 10 seconds at most. My style hasn't changed much since then.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 03-31-20 at 04:27 PM.

JohnGalt2341

Unless Marinella time's out a game it will definitely be a tie for number of wins for blanko and Daniel. And as I mentioned... I would definitely like to see you guys play a game for the 500 points. You can start that game at any time. Here's how either one of you can invite the other to a game. For blanko, click on Rd1 on your main page. It will be to the right of Marinella's name. Then click on section 1-10. Find Daniel's name and click on it. And then click on his name again. And then down below you click on "Invite this user to play a game". Find Hexversi and click Choose Game down below. Daniel will now have a New Message where he can accept your invite.

The other way to do it is... on the main page click Search User Profiles. Type in blankoblanco and click on his name and click on "Invite user to play a game" and follow the rest of the instructions above.. This method is much easier but for some reason it's not searching for Daniel's name properly which is why I explained how to do it above.

I'm looking forward to watching this game. I won't be giving any tips or criticisms... unless you want some when the game is over. I love watching different styles play especially when it's people that I've never played before. 2 aggressive styles are especially fun for me... it's like watching 2 aggressive MMA fighters... I don't care if they aren't the best fighters in the world... as long as they deliver some interesting action which I fully expect in this game. If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 04-06-20 at 01:31 PM.

blankoblanco

Alright, I invited Daniel to a game

Hopefully I've learned a thing or two from getting pummeled so hard but I'm not so sure. Definitely an interesting game though

Daniel Espinosa

Ok glgl!!

blankoblanco

You too sir

blankoblanco

Btw gj destroying your group John. Who do you think are the best players left in the tournament? My money would be on you. Kick Marinella's ass for me if you get the chance

JohnGalt2341

Btw gj destroying your group John. Who do you think are the best players left in the tournament? My money would be on you. Kick Marinella's ass for me if you get the chance
    Thanks. I had a couple very tough games there. I was fortunate that my opponents made some mistakes after outplaying in the first half of the game.

FGYTPeti is definitely the #1 player I don't want to see until the finals. He's a fierce regular Reversi player and has won a few tournaments with more than 100 players. It was interesting going through his recent Hexversi games because I could tell he was struggling with different styles and he even lost a game against an aggressive player.

Eddie is my nephew and he's almost certainly the overall least experienced Reversi(all the variations including Hexversi) and rusty player left in the tournament. However, he got really good at these games faster than anyone I've ever seen. Probably half the Reversi(all variations) games he's played have been against me. And although I usually beat him he does beat me on occasion. And I know he's beat me at least 5 times in Hexversi including sweeping me in a tournament. His style is probably most similar to mine than anyone in this tournament which is very challenging for me. I'm actually really excited to see him play some of these other players in the next round because it's been such a long time since he's played a strong player besides myself and it's been a long time since we've even played. I'm hoping not to see him until the finals as well. I think he has a good chance of making it.

Aragon is another really good player that I think could make the finals. Aragon plays in the Hexversi Ladder regularly and has a ton of Hexversi experience like I do. I've played Aragon a bunch of times and they have 4 legit wins over me. Aragon beats just about everyone else in the Ladder pretty consistently with the exception of Toptal, Ryan, and myself. But he or she(I think it might be a woman) has beaten all of us before.

A few others that I think could be dark horses are maitreg or possibly Champ Car, Andy, and Marinella.

I recruited a bunch of regular Reversi players for this tourney so... a lot of these players have never played each other in Hexversi before. But they understand Reversi theory well so... it's very easy to adapt to a different variation.

I'm really looking forward to the next round!
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 04-07-20 at 06:55 PM.

JohnGalt2341

I just looked in on your game. I see you guys are playing at a nice pace. You guys play really well for your level of experience. You both definitely have some skills. Great game so far!

JohnGalt2341

Also, I threw 50 points to posts #43 and #66 for correctly predicting Marinella to win Section #1(Thanks a lot Ryan!). I'll add more points as needed.

Daniel Espinosa

Thanks a lot John.

Are there "proffesional" tournaments of Reversi like there are for Backgammon or Bridge?

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Espinosa View Post
    Thanks a lot John.

Are there "proffesional" tournaments of Reversi like there are for Backgammon or Bridge?
    Yeah... but... you can't make a living off of it or anything. They've had World Othello(same as Reversi different name) Championships since 1977. The Japanese players are really dominant. Othello/Reversi was the game that I learned from. I won some Reversi tournaments on itsyourturn in 2006 and 2007 and then Hexversi came out right when I was reaching my prime in Reversi. I played in and won the very first tournament and it's been my favorite game ever since.

As far as I know itsyourturn is the only site that has Hexversi. There are no computer programs for it unlike Othello/Reversi that has programs that can beat any human. But... I think any of these Othello World Champions could likely play me in Hexversi for the very first time and probably take me to school. It would be fun to find out at least. I'm always hoping that some World Champion will stumble across itsyourturn and discover Hexversi.

I really like Hexversi because it suits my style of play nearly perfectly. Othello/Reversi is definitely my least favorite of all the Reversi games. The Othello World Champions would whip my butt in that game. Reversi 6x6 is my 2nd favorite after Hexversi... I'm much more beatable in 6x6 than Hexversi... but there are a lot of similarities between the 2 games but 6x6 is much harder for me because of the board being so small.

But again with 6x6.. there are computer programs that can beat any human. When I used to play Reversi there was a guy that would take me to school every game. When Hexversi came out I invited him to a game. He declined my invite. I always wondered if he was using a program when playing me in Reversi... it sure felt like it. I did learn a lot from him though... I must say. But at least when someone beats me in Hexversi... I know that they are the real deal.

Daniel Espinosa

I googled a bit and World Champion gets 70k$. Nice! Although I guess those people eventually switch to poker, like players of other games. The trick probably is to play a ton against those bots and learn from it (kinda like piosolver and poker). Have you tried that? You might have a shot at the World Cup

There must be other sites where those people play othello/reversi, right? You probably should go there and ask them to play Hexversi, or maybe via social media.

JohnGalt2341

I googled a bit and World Champion gets 70k$. Nice! Although I guess those people eventually switch to poker, like players of other games. The trick probably is to play a ton against those bots and learn from it (kinda like piosolver and poker). Have you tried that? You might have a shot at the World Cup

There must be other sites where those people play othello/reversi, right? You probably should go there and ask them to play Hexversi, or maybe via social media.
    70K?? I had no idea it was that much. Where did you find that? Only thing I could find was from 2017 and the prize was only 5K. I never heard people switch to Poker???

I don't really like regular Othello that much. It's difficult to explain but it's just too rigid for me. There's no way I could get good enough at it to win any prize money.

I play 10x10 in a Ladder at another site in an attempt to try to recruit people to play Hexversi. It's very difficult to do because I think they think I am trying to promote a website or something. I've been able to get a couple of really good players to play me in Hexversi after I built up a decent 10x10 record on that site but most people decline.

I've tried a bit of recruiting from an Othello website as well but... most people just aren't interested. I haven't tried much on social media really but... I'm not much of a social media guy. Maybe I'll see what I can find on Facebook.

Daniel Espinosa

Yeah take a look here

https://woc2019.worldothello.org/information/prizes

500k CNY for first prize.

So Hexversi is only played on itsyouturn? Did they invent it?

JohnGalt2341

Yeah take a look here

https://woc2019.worldothello.org/information/prizes

500k CNY for first prize.

So Hexversi is only played on itsyouturn? Did they invent it?
    I think that's 500,000 Yen which is like $4600.

Yeah, Hexversi is only played on itsyourturn as far I know. I started playing in a lot of Reversi tournaments in the fall of 2006 and then in May 2007 they had a notice for a new game... Hexversi... I had no idea what it was but I figured that if it was anything like Reversi I would be pretty good at it so I entered the first tournament. It didn't take me long to realize that it's nearly perfectly suited for my particular style of play. I only wish more sites had it... especially since there are no programs for it.

blankoblanco

Daniel's outplaying the hell out of me. I'm learning quite a bit I think, but too late. Just made similar mistakes as I did before and played too greedily

Daniel Espinosa

Yeah I'm an idiot. I saw that symbol and inmediately thought about CNY.

Daniel Espinosa

Daniel's outplaying the hell out of me. I'm learning quite a bit I think, but too late. Just made similar mistakes as I did before and played too greedily
    Actually I don't feel that comfortable right now haha

blankoblanco

I can't say for sure how it all plays out from here, but I feel like you have the better position. I planned out a bunch of little things hoping you would make a wrong move and you never did! You're tough

JohnGalt2341

I can't say for sure how it all plays out from here, but I feel like you have the better position. I planned out a bunch of little things hoping you would make a wrong move and you never did! You're tough
    I just looked in after move #32. Round 4 has just ended in a 5 round MMA fight. It aint over yet!!!

Daniel Espinosa

Haha thanks. I think I had an advantage because I got the first corner, but you made a comeback and now it is probably a flip!

blankoblanco

GG Daniel. Somehow overlooked that you opened up a corner for yourself and didn't block it, but I think I was checkmated at that point as every move leads you to a corner which basically means you get the rest of the outside. I could just never get the force on you, you always had one move

Daniel Espinosa

Ty well played, it was a fun game!
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Daniel Espinosa 500 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blankoblanco

Yep, was a fun challenge. And thanks John for the contest and points giveaway

JohnGalt2341

Haha thanks. I think I had an advantage because I got the first corner, but you made a comeback and now it is probably a flip!
    Exactly right. I don't know the percentages but it's pretty high. I've often sacrificed the first corner of the game but that's only if I'm going to get a corner myself and be able to build off that corner. But in most games if you get the first you should be able to win easily.

Congrats Daniel! You're a pretty good player. And blanko is pretty good as well. A very simple way to become better is just try to become less aggressive. I think you guys could probably beat some of the people in the Hexversi ladder. In the Hexversi Ladder you can invite up to 2 players to play against you and up to 2 players can invite you. If you wanted to challenge yourselves against a different player you can play people in the ladder. I would say there are at least a handful of players that I think you guys could compete with. If you are interested in signing up I could tell you how to do so.

I'm particularly fascinated by new players because I'm always trying to predict what players will be good and what ones won't. In 2006 and 2007 I taught 3 people how to play Othello/Hexversi/6x6. Two of them were coworkers of mine that would I sometimes hang out with. I made a board and glued Poker Chips together to make the pieces. My Othello board is way better than the regular board and it's not even close. Anyway, I taught my two coworkers how to play these games and they became about as good as I predicted they would. I was also new to the game at the time but had started few months earlier. My nephew became a very good player also just as I predicted he would. I haven't done a lot study on this but so far my predictions have been pretty accurate. I would be curios to see the progress of you guys but it's definitely hard to tell after only a few games.

Anyway... nice work Daniel! It was a real back forth game there for a bit.

First 1234567 ... Last