Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13755

Apparently Fidelity won't let me trade the TNX.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10482

New entry: CFMS@1.5

has not been a good market for penny stocks but I think there is a good opportunity here...this is a 3D printing company for prosthetics, esp hip and knee replacements...3D printing is ideal for prosthesis because individual dimensions based on the patients anatomy can be made within weeks. Conformis recently got out from under a patent lawsuit so price has been rising and I am assuming institutional money is getting back on board as they know, as do I, this is an ideal use case for 3D printing.

This is a speculative investment...so do not place anymore than you are willing to lose...I made a 0.5% wager on this getting hedge fund backing so please go responsibly.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    3D printing is ideal for prosthesis because individual dimensions based on the patients anatomy can be made within weeks.
    3d printing is good for rapid prototyping.

Its main drawbacks are low production volume (printing is very slow) and questionable durability of parts.

RoyBacon
    RoyBacon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15679

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    Apparently Fidelity won't let me trade the TNX.
    Yep, you have to go to Schwab for that one. Fidelity kind of doesn't know their head from their ass on what they limit.

Example: You can sell short calls on highly speculative AMC, GME, etc BUT try buying preferred stock on Energy Transfer, which by the way is investment grade BBB SnP, and ohhhhh NO!

trobin31

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    3d printing is good for rapid prototyping.

Its main drawbacks are low production volume (printing is very slow) and questionable durability of parts.
    95% if hearing aids are made by 3D printing...Costs and precision of 3D printing are improving exponentially. Not unreasonable for entire electronic devices, homes , & cars to be 3D printed in 20 years

Sanity Check

Costs and precision of 3D printing are improving exponentially. Not unreasonable for entire electronic devices, homes , & cars to be 3D printed in 20 years
    A plastic mold will always be faster, cheaper and more reliable than 3d printing.

The only advantage 3d printing has is rapid prototyping where it can produce custom designs in short order. Its faster and easier than creating a custom mold. That's its only advantage.

For mass production purposes 3d printing is a terrible approach.

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

A plastic mold will always be faster, cheaper and more reliable than 3d printing.

The only advantage 3d printing has is rapid prototyping where it can produce custom designs in short order.

Almost true. With 3D printing you have more flexibility to create zones in a part that have the strength needed. For instance, I made a plastic part that was formerly made from a Delrin with fiberglass fibers embedded in it. What they call a Delrin 30 or 30% fiber glass. Its job is to be used as a toggle cam in a beer bottling operation. I can't say the name but lets just say they they enjoy the Colorado rocky mountains. The original version was too strong in some places where we would want it to crumble and break apart if hit one way, and way too weak it if was hit another way. With the 3D printing and new speckling build technique I was able to get a part that is both stronger and weaker. Sure the original cost was all of $5, which is really inflated for a piece of plastic and the new part cost $25 bucks, but the production downtime every month due to machine damages far outpaced the original part. Thus performance has been improved.

Beer is my favorite slurry.
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave Slurry Pumper 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

trobin31

The only advantage 3d printing has is rapid prototyping where it can produce custom designs in short order. Its faster and easier than creating a custom mold. That's its only advantage.

I am not saying by any means 3D printing is where it needs to be currently, but for certain materials that require customization and eventually mass production, especially intricate 3 dimensional parts like knee, hip joints, circuits, pace makers the ability of a machine to analyze radiographic images thru deep learning software along with another AI driven 3D printer to create personalized parts is tremendous, as it would increase success rate and reduce need for doing repair jobs

I tend to think in terms of what are the problems and how do we solve them, and the problem is frequently giving people things that are incompatible, the best solution to the problem I see is AI driven 3D printing. I am no engineer and do not profess to be one but the alpha in terms of problems solved by 3D printing are Yuge.

Sanity Check

I am not saying by any means 3D printing is where it needs to be currently, but for certain materials that require customization and eventually mass production, especially intricate 3 dimensional parts like knee, hip joints, circuits, pace makers the ability of a machine to analyze radiographic images thru deep learning software along with another AI driven 3D printer to create personalized parts is tremendous, as it would increase success rate and reduce need for doing repair jobs

I tend to think in terms of what are the problems and how do we solve them, and the problem is frequently giving people things that are incompatible, the best solution to the problem I see is AI driven 3D printing. I am no engineer and do not profess to be one but the alpha in terms of problems solved by 3D printing are Yuge.
    There is no AI.

All gains in that sector were driven by moore's law on the hardware side.

trobin31

There is no AI.

All gains in that sector were driven by moore's law on the hardware side.
    Ohhh ok...imma go now. Very apparent this is not a rational convo

Sanity Check

Ohhh ok...imma go now. Very apparent this is not a rational convo
    AI software hasn't changed or advanced much in the last 50 years. All of the gains claimed as "AI progress" were on the hardware side, driving by moore's law and transistors doubling every x number of years. Developing real artificial intelligence will require a significant breakthrough on the software side of things. Which simply isn't happening.

People don't realize machine learning and neural networks are 50 year old technology. There were no real improvements made aside from processors gaining clock speed, memory and cores. I think we hit the wall as far as any gains we'll see from that.

"AI chess" has no real brains. Calculating every possible move on a weighted scale is a brute force approach, not one based on intelligence.

Elon Musk will never get his tesla autopilot running the way it needs to. The technology for that type of AI application, simply doesn't exist. And isn't likely to anytime soon.

If what I'm saying is rational or irrational -- I'm good either way.

trobin31

AI software hasn't changed or advanced much in the last 50 years. All of the gains claimed as "AI progress" were on the hardware side, driving by moore's law and transistors doubling every x number of years. Developing real artificial intelligence will require a significant breakthrough on the software side of things. Which simply isn't happening.

People don't realize machine learning and neural networks are 50 year old technology. There were no real improvements made aside from processors gaining clock speed, memory and cores. I think we hit the wall as far as any gains we'll see from that.

"AI chess" has no real brains. Calculating every possible move on a weighted scale is a brute force approach, not one based on intelligence.

Elon Musk will never get his tesla autopilot running the way it needs to. The technology for that type of AI application, simply doesn't exist. And isn't likely to anytime soon.

If what I'm saying is rational or irrational -- I'm good either way.
    There are significant breakthroughs on the software side...and it comes from the increased capacitance of neural networks and deep learning...yeah, it seems pretty irrational to me to say we have had the rocks...and will never be able to sharpen them into tools...which is bascially what you are saying...

trobin31

There are significant breakthroughs on the software side...and it comes from the increased capacitance of neural networks and deep learning...yeah, it seems pretty irrational to me to say we have had the rocks...and will never be able to sharpen them into tools...which is bascially what you are saying...
    The fact is we are at an incredible inflection point....just within my own lifetime I am witnessed the expansion of networking energy...through google, netflix, fb, palantir...we are merely at the beginning of an "S" curve of artificial intelligence...it takes time...intelligence of software, much like biological beings...need time to learn and evolve...the more experiences they have the more they know...except they learn at an exponential rate...yeah this presents a very dangerous risk...but its inevitable within our lifetime nonethless

Slurry Pumper

There's something to be said by increased clock speed and brute force. If it gets fast enough, it can churn through all the possibilities and arrive at the correct answer. It's the I'll try every scenario approach. So when the tesla autopilot sees a piece of paper floating around in the middle of the road, it will calculate based on its movement calculated weight and proximity to the car whether it can run it over or not. Sure for the first couple of years until they get the programming right, it will hit all the small kids on the block, but it will eventually get there. Then it will be smooth sailing where you jump in the car totally loaded in the back seat, and the car does it all speeding up slowing down turns everything even better than the best race car driver because it can think much faster and it calculates all the possible outcomes in a split milli-second.

By the way 3D printing is called additive manufacturing BTW.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

The recent unit axis reset makes those earlier shakouts (0-11 and 0-10 runs) look so much smaller than they were at the time. This has been one hell of a contrarian market, if you go by the market tracking plays...

Last edited by KVB; 08-04-21 at 07:52 PM.

Sanity Check

If you look up every branch and software design concept of current day AI. Their origins trace back to the 1950s and 1960s. Nothing in AI is a breakthrough, its all recycled old content from AI's golden era, of decades past.

To build legit AI we need a genius, an innovator who can push the software side of AI to new heights. Someone who can make new design paradigms and architectures that have never been seen before. We simply don't have one.

Sanity Check

The fact is we are at an incredible inflection point....just within my own lifetime I am witnessed the expansion of networking energy...through google, netflix, fb, palantir...we are merely at the beginning of an "S" curve of artificial intelligence...it takes time...intelligence of software, much like biological beings...need time to learn and evolve...the more experiences they have the more they know...except they learn at an exponential rate...yeah this presents a very dangerous risk...but its inevitable within our lifetime nonethless
    That's what they said about flying cars.

Intelligence and inventing are not iterative processes IMO.

Our current levels of science and knowledge are deteriorating in ways. Specialized skillsets and labor are on steep declines.

Semiconductor shortages, supply chain issues and other recent developments threaten to worsen the trend.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    There's something to be said by increased clock speed and brute force. If it gets fast enough, it can churn through all the possibilities and arrive at the correct answer. It's the I'll try every scenario approach. So when the tesla autopilot sees a piece of paper floating around in the middle of the road, it will calculate based on its movement calculated weight and proximity to the car whether it can run it over or not. Sure for the first couple of years until they get the programming right, it will hit all the small kids on the block, but it will eventually get there. Then it will be smooth sailing where you jump in the car totally loaded in the back seat, and the car does it all speeding up slowing down turns everything even better than the best race car driver because it can think much faster and it calculates all the possible outcomes in a split milli-second.

By the way 3D printing is called additive manufacturing BTW.
    Brute force applications are only feasible with deterministic and limited data sets like chess with a predefined tileset and pieces with very limited & defined movement.

Pattern recognition is a key issue which isn't likely to be solved anytime soon. It can't be solved using a supercomputer too large to fit in a car. And it definitely won't be solved by the two small AI processors tesla's currently have.

In my opinion anyways. There are certain technologies and things that are simply out of reach. Flying cars, quantum computers, artificial intelligence. Perhaps for good reason.

Slurry Pumper

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    The recent unit axis reset makes those earlier shakouts (0-11 and 0-10 runs) look so much smaller than they were at the time. This has been one hell of a contrarian market, if you go by the market tracking plays...

The trend is your friend until its not. How strong a move is this, well look at all of those moving averages. With the exception of the 200, they all have the same slope which tells you how much of a sustained move this is. Talk about being in the zone this is some pretty impressive stuff here.

trobin31

Brute force applications are only feasible with deterministic and limited data sets like chess with a predefined tileset and pieces with very limited & defined movement.

Pattern recognition is a key issue which isn't likely to be solved anytime soon. It can't be solved using a supercomputer too large to fit in a car. And it definitely won't be solved by the two small AI processors tesla's currently have.

In my opinion anyways. There are certain technologies and things that are simply out of reach. Flying cars, quantum computers, artificial intelligence. Perhaps for good reason.
    I really don’t understand why you are saying things are out of reach when they are a reality right now at this very moment...you’re entire life is probably run on some form of artificial intelligence you just don’t realize it. There are already several companies that have already gone public Joby, Airbus, Ehang....these companies will revolutionize delivery of food and packages as well as emergency medical services...I understand you have a viewpoint and ready to dig in at any cost but C’mon man.

trobin31

$MSTR...been watching this as it had been forming a beautiful tea cup, broke out that 683 wall today...if you can get it close to there is best but the float is low and as long as btc holds up, many girlfriends I will have

trobin31

Broad market, have to be very encouraged about the move in small caps...suspect this Covid peak passes by mid August before everyone is comfortable at which time they’ll be buying ATH’s

guitarjosh
    guitarjosh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8058

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjosh View Post
    This week's picks:

ABMD* -17.62%

ADBE* 145.43%

ALGN* 86.27%

AMED* 109.34%

CNC -.73%

CRM* 70.60%

CTAS 97.92%

FTNT* 341.34%

IDXX* 184.42%

ILMN* 65.73%

INGN* -71.25%

INTU 155.43%

LULU* 227.71%

MED* 65.94%

NOW* 211.65%

NSSC* 111.76%

PANW* 88.56%

SYX 34.74% (Changed ticker to GIC)

TCMD* -20.86%

TRU* 60.82%

TTD* 756.94%

TTGT* 156.19%

TWTR* 59.56%

ULTI (went private)

VEEV* 310.35%

WWE* -38.05%

ZTO 33.57%

*= Held over from last week
    Did anyone follow these? I got curious to see how they did since I posted them, most beat the S&P 500, which went up 58.08% in that time. You can look and see their returns in about 3 years. Fundamentals + Technicals works!

Sanity Check

I really don’t understand why you are saying things are out of reach when they are a reality right now at this very moment...you’re entire life is probably run on some form of artificial intelligence you just don’t realize it. There are already several companies that have already gone public Joby, Airbus, Ehang....these companies will revolutionize delivery of food and packages as well as emergency medical services...I understand you have a viewpoint and ready to dig in at any cost but C’mon man.
    The AI industry resembles the dot com bubble. Where promises and hype surrounding the industry significantly outgrew their ability to deliver.

Neural Networks - 1943

Warren McCulloch and Walter Pitts[1] (1943) opened the subject by creating a computational model for neural networks.[2] In the late 1940s, D. O. Hebb[3] created a learning hypothesis based on the mechanism of neural plasticity that became known as Hebbian learning. Farley and Wesley A. Clark[4] (1954) first used computational machines, then called "calculators", to simulate a Hebbian network. Rosenblatt[5] (1958) created the perceptron.
    [6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifi...etwork#History

Deep Learning - 1962

Some sources point that Frank Rosenblatt developed and explored all of the basic ingredients of the deep learning systems of today.[32] He described it in his book "Principles of Neurodynamics: Perceptrons and the Theory of Brain Mechanisms", published by Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Inc., Cornell University in 1962.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning#History

Neural Networks and deep learning are not new. They date back to the 1960s.

No real progress was made with AI software. AI on the software side looks much the same as it did during the 1960s to 1980s. All of the real gains come from moore's law on the hardware side.
    We lack those major breakthroughs we need to significantly advance the industry.

Sanity Check

As this thread is related to investment.

https://splinterlands.com/

Some of the NFT cards I bought on splinterlands for $0.02 a few months ago. Are worth more than $0.20. (10x gains.)

Some of the cards I bought for less than $1 are valued close to $40. (40x gains.)

By far the biggest percentage ROI gains of anything I'm involved in.

Don't care if prices go up. Or crash, and cards become more affordable.

It also pays out $0.02 to $0.05+ per win in ranked battles. And small change prizes for placing in tournaments.

trobin31

The AI industry resembles the dot com bubble. Where promises and hype surrounding the industry significantly outgrew their ability to deliver.

Neural Networks - 1943

Warren McCulloch and Walter Pitts[1] (1943) opened the subject by creating a computational model for neural networks.[2] In the late 1940s, D. O. Hebb[3] created a learning hypothesis based on the mechanism of neural plasticity that became known as Hebbian learning. Farley and Wesley A. Clark[4] (1954) first used computational machines, then called "calculators", to simulate a Hebbian network. Rosenblatt[5] (1958) created the perceptron.
    [6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifi...etwork#History

Deep Learning - 1962

Some sources point that Frank Rosenblatt developed and explored all of the basic ingredients of the deep learning systems of today.[32] He described it in his book "Principles of Neurodynamics: Perceptrons and the Theory of Brain Mechanisms", published by Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Inc., Cornell University in 1962.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning#History

Neural Networks and deep learning are not new. They date back to the 1960s.

No real progress was made with AI software. AI on the software side looks much the same as it did during the 1960s to 1980s. All of the real gains come from moore's law on the hardware side.
    We lack those major breakthroughs we need to significantly advance the industry.

Instead of projecting some absurd bias you’ve conjured up and refuse to let go of...why don’t you look at the balance sheets of NVDA TSLA PLTR SDGR PATH just to name of a few of the top AI companies in the world...look at their revenue growth and come back here and tell us what you see.....I have biases as well....but investing is about using data, it’s not an F’ing religion or political party...do some research for the love of gawd instead of digging up articles from 1960’s...it’s okay to say you don’t understand...I say it all the time....every single day I tell someone “ I don’t know what’s wrong, but I will try to find out”

trobin31

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjosh View Post
    Did anyone follow these? I got curious to see how they did since I posted them, most beat the S&P 500, which went up 58.08% in that time. You can look and see their returns in about 3 years. Fundamentals + Technicals works!
    Good stuff...especially on TTD

trobin31

Daily recap:
    *BTC**@37.8*
    *MSTR**@683
    *CFMS**@1.45
    *ADA**@1.3

As you can see I am becoming a horny bull on crypto again...overall market sentiment looks good, charts look good so I am allocating over half of my new capital into crypto...As for re-opening I am still looking at data daily and while the projections are creeping higher I am not seeing enough to warrant lockdowns in the US....based on my understanding of Americans and their appetite for lockdowns vs economic repercussions we would need a hospital resource squeeze disaster similar to last year and I don't see it happening outside of places where the GOP have dug themselves in and they are not going to make themselves look bad by shutting down. WH & Biden advertised themselves as the ones who would save us from Covid and this would reflect poorly on them as well...so it is very low chance of seeing Federal mandates for lock downs as well. Just a toss the ball to State Governors.

So the re-opening cyclical trade is coming its just not a matter of IF but when...based on the US10Y its almost like 2021 is repeating itself....I expect the US10Y to find a bottom here soon if it hasn’t already and show life to upside, likely explode to upside if we somehow get to a somewhat normal Thanksgiving and Xmas.

Professionally and personally I am seeing so much more morbidity from the lifestyle changes of lockdowns...given the impact of being out of school for children and the lack of social interaction for adults, the costs on mental health seem to outweigh the impact of Covid now...

Sanity Check

Instead of projecting some absurd bias you’ve conjured up and refuse to let go of...why don’t you look at the balance sheets of NVDA TSLA PLTR SDGR PATH just to name of a few of the top AI companies in the world...look at their revenue growth and come back here and tell us what you see.....
    Why don't I look at TSLA's AI autopilot... that doesn't even fukn work. (I'll take a look at those other companies you mentioned)

Price valuation in AI is either justified or a bubble that will pop. Like the dot com bubble did. Hope everyone in AI comes out on the plus side. But if they don't I won't be surprised.

trobin31

Why don't I look at TSLA's AI autopilot... that doesn't even fukn work. (I'll take a look at those other companies you mentioned)

Price valuation in AI is either justified or a bubble that will pop. Like the dot com bubble did. Hope everyone in AI comes out on the plus side. But if they don't I won't be surprised.

You keep comparing to dot com bubble...the only thing right now you can legitimately compare dotcom bubble to is crypto....because you have assets not making money but getting capital...instead you are trying to compare assets that have passed an inflection point in revenue and it doesn’t make any sense to me....the only thing that will hold these down are rising interest rates...and I’ve warned about this time and again...with that being said your entire existence is built and funded by AI and you are saying it’s the same product since the 80s....huh? What?

let me give you one small example of why you are wrong. Do you have any idea why the US, UK & Israel were above and beyond all countries in manufacturing and distributing vaccines to their populations? Even more than Asian countries? I will give you one word....AI

Sanity Check

You keep comparing to dot com bubble...the only thing right now you can legitimately compare dotcom bubble to is crypto....because you have assets not making money but getting capital...instead you are trying to compare assets that have passed an inflection point in revenue and it doesn’t make any sense to me....the only thing that will hold these down are rising interest rates...and I’ve warned about this time and again...with that being said your entire existence is built and funded by AI and you are saying it’s the same product since the 80s....huh? What?

let me give you one small example of why you are wrong. Do you have any idea why the US, UK & Israel were above and beyond all countries in manufacturing and distributing vaccines to their populations? Even more than Asian countries? I will give you one word....AI
    Crypto's claim to fame is being deflationary, decentralized and inflation protected assets. Crypto can transfer sums of money around the world faster and more affordably than wire transfers. They cater to a claimed 4 billion unbanked demographic. Its somewhat hard to say bitcoin isn't making money with roughly $1 trillion in market capitalization.

The question with semiconductor revenue in 2021 is how much is legit growth rather than recovery from 2020. Year over year gross revenue is misleading.

Sanity Check

This is new.

421% crypto staking APR

I'm not a staking guy but hope people can make $$ that way, without getting jipped.

trobin31

Jobs report today....Small caps & Financials have been tipping its hand this could be on higher side if estimates, which could trigger taper concerns and rotation to re-opening and value. Airlines look really good, JBLU SAVE LUV

trobin31

Okay, jobs came in hot as expected...I am getting my retirement account out of bonds completely now and back into Equities. Consider tapering your tech.

Slurry Pumper

So remember those XLF options that expire today? Well it was a exercise in courage and the ship came in and none too soon here as they go poof in about 4 hours. Anyway, I unloaded that stuff here @$1.35 per contract, that's just 2 cents away from a $1 profit per contract.

First ... 294295296297298299300 ... Last