Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2392

after raising the Jolly Roger today the Pirates are 30-19 after 49 games

last year at this point they were 24-25

it took them until June 8 to win their 30th game of 2012
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: WvGambler

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Pirates are 109-101 since the beginning of 2012 season

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Suck on a thick one Brewers. The tide has turned.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

I think the Pirates should try to schedule at least 120 day games next season.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    I think the Pirates should try to schedule at least 120 day games next season.
    Pedro Alvarez approves of this message

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Pirates 2013

One time common.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

We Are Family!

I got all my sisters with me!

We Are Family

Get up everybody and sang

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tied 2nd in team ERA. League leaders in Saves.

EaglesPhan36

Gerrit Cole, the first overall selection in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, is scheduled to make his Major League debut Tuesday night for the Pirates when they play the San Francisco Giants at PNC Park. Cole will oppose Giants' right-handed hurler Tim Lincecum. In 12 starts with Triple-A Indianapolis, the 22-year-old righty went 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA. Cole has not allowed a run in his last two starts and surrendered a total of two runs over his last three. The former UCLA Bruin is ranked as the organization's No. 1 prospect and the 12th best in all of minor league baseball by Baseball America.

Very excited about this.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Pirates trade John Mcdonald to the cleveland indians for cash or PTBNL!!!!!

EaglesPhan36

Decent debut, but got into some trouble in the 7th. Nice job with the bat!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Decent debut, but got into some trouble in the 7th. Nice job with the bat!

read somewhere else that he threw like 90% fastballs

also Wandy to the DL, Charlie Morton to make his return from Tommy John Surgery on Thursday, less than a year after the surgery

EaglesPhan36

Good to have pitching depth.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Good to have pitching depth.

yeah, but I think they have exhausted it now.....

and I don't expect some of the guys like Locke and Gomez (when he is healthy) to keep over achieving due to their peripherials

EaglesPhan36

I think they have a couple AAA guys who can still help in a pinch like McPherson and Irwin. They're not long term answers, but they can fill a role.

Best thing if Cole sticks in the majors is that Taillon should get a shot at AAA.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I think they have a couple AAA guys who can still help in a pinch like McPherson and Irwin. They're not long term answers, but they can fill a role.

Best thing if Cole sticks in the majors is that Taillon should get a shot at AAA.

no both Irwin and McPherson are injured too, this is what i'm talking about.

unreal the amount of injuries to pirate starters this year

the depth has run out

EaglesPhan36

Oh crap did not realize that. Damn. Guess maybe they might be looking at pitching at the deadline instead of a bat perhaps.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

AJ is hurt again

thread comes full circle

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    AJ is hurt again

thread comes full circle
    I just noticed this comment. Unreal

big win today Arch. I believe Locke, Liriano and Cole can keep the ship afloat long enough for AJ and Wandy to get healthy again. I really believe this team can win 88-90 games this year.

EaglesPhan36

The only plus is maybe the injuries save AJ & Wandy from 2nd half burn out. Clint Hurdle deserves manager of the year if they're still sniffing Wildcard contention in August.

WvGambler

The biggest difference has been Russell Martin this year. Teams aren't getting walked/hitting a single and then jogging to second base on the next pitch this year. Teams (especially the Brewers) were stealing 3-4 bags a game last year against Barajas/Mckenry. Russell Martin has out a complete stop to that....not to mention his hitting.

The Pirates break the streak this year, talk AJ into playing one more season and bring up Taillon for 2014....the year of the Bucs.

Theres actually a pretty interesting article on how the Pirates should trade Taillon, Tony Sanchez and Gregory Polanco for Giancarlo Stanton. I say no way....but the article makes some good points.

EaglesPhan36

Honestly if they're in the Central Race or WC, it's a legit point of "going for it" with this sort of trade. As long as you keep Cole or Taillon, I'd say preferably Cole who is already proving himself ... it's probably worth the risk. They have more pitching like McPherson and Heredia who could be really good in the Majors too. Polanco would be fair trade to get an OF who fills a hole for at least the next three years. If they could get away with Polanco, Taillon and someone other than Sanchez - that'd be clutch. When the F was the last time they had a quality catcher come up? Doumit was supposed to be, but he never panned out. I think it was probably Jason Kendall, but his defensive skills weren't near what Sanchez is reportedly expected to be. Sanchez is supposed to be the complete package at C, defensively sound and a good hitter ... I'd like to keep that.

I agree though that I don't really see it. I think the pitching injuries are going to be a bigger deterrent than anything because they might be forced to deal for pitching help instead depending on how long some of these guys are out.

Burnett's calf injury sounds not so good and it looks like he's probably going to be out through July I would guess minimum. Wandy hopefully can come back after the All-Star Break. Would be surprised if he is back sooner.

WvGambler

Speaking of Tony Sanchez, he's been called up. Will be dressed for the game tonight in LA.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    The biggest difference has been Russell Martin this year. Teams aren't getting walked/hitting a single and then jogging to second base on the next pitch this year. Teams (especially the Brewers) were stealing 3-4 bags a game last year against Barajas/Mckenry. Russell Martin has out a complete stop to that....not to mention his hitting.

The Pirates break the streak this year, talk AJ into playing one more season and bring up Taillon for 2014....the year of the Bucs.

Theres actually a pretty interesting article on how the Pirates should trade Taillon, Tony Sanchez and Gregory Polanco for Giancarlo Stanton. I say no way....but the article makes some good points.

I'd do that trade in a heart beat

you'd have the rights to Stanton through 2017.

there are only a handful of guys that have started out their career as strong as him, and they are all Hall of Famers.

guys like Heredia, Kingham, Glasnow, Holmes ect make the loss of Tallion easier to swallow.

I'm not convince Sanchez will be any good, he has been pretty average to below average in the minors until just the last few months of this year.

Polanco is indeed a stud, but it he still has to prove he can hit AA hitting. I'll taken the proven player in Stanton for those 3 any day.

WvGambler

I'd do that trade in a heart beat

you'd have the rights to Stanton through 2017.

there are only a handful of guys that have started out their career as strong as him, and they are all Hall of Famers.

guys like Heredia, Kingham, Glasnow, Holmes ect make the loss of Tallion easier to swallow.

I'm not convince Sanchez will be any good, he has been pretty average to below average in the minors until just the last few months of this year.

Polanco is indeed a stud, but it he still has to prove he can hit AA hitting. I'll taken the proven player in Stanton for those 3 any day.

I've been thinking about this all day and I am starting to lean towards your argument too. Taillon is going to be a complete stud, better than Cole, I think....but Stanton is a proven player. Marte, Cutch, Stanton in the OF for the next 4+ years would be unbelievable. The longer we see Travis Snider play, the more we realize that he isn't going to develop into that first round talent. The Pirates minor league system is strong enough to withstand this sort of move.....Stanton's health just scares me. But even with his health concerns, a pitcher's health is just as frightening.

Fukk I dont know, I am all over the place on this one.

EaglesPhan36

Gerrit Cole mutha fukka! Kid just knows how to pitch. And is anyone this year more under the radar with a dominant season than Jason Grilli???? 0.74 ERA, 26/27 save opps.

Also kinda digging Jordy Mercer at SS. His bat I think will make up for his defensive issues.

WvGambler

Anything at SS is an upgrade at the plate over Barmes. I really liked their signing him two years ago.....and I was wrong. Guy couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Jordy mercer is a big upgrade over Clint Barmes.

Finally a new short stop.

EaglesPhan36

Some love for Pedro Alvarez too. Guy still is still a strikeout machine, but he's Top 10 in RBIs in the NL hitting basically all singles or homers. Clutch hits sometimes trump the Ks. Liriano looks like a fantastic signing altogether.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Could Pedro be the NL Player of the Week?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Could Pedro be the NL Player of the Week?
    yes definitely. Finally somebody else besdes cutch can hit.

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    yes definitely. Finally somebody else besdes cutch can hit.
    Starling Marte can put bat to ball

First ... 3456789 ... Last