The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

UFC 134: Rio

Date: Aug 27, 2011
    Venue: HSBC Arena
    Broadcast: Pay-per-view

• Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami (middleweight title)
    • Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
    • Edson Barboza vs. Ross Pearson
    • Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov
    • Spencer Fisher vs. Thiago Tavares

The HOFF

jspectyper
    jspectyper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Huge shogun fan, I feel he avenges his loss to forrest in convincing fashion (hopefully).

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Forrest could win that fight. Griffin by decision would be my play.

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

silva
    shogun
    pearson
    cane
    fisher
    just picks i may take the other sides based on the lines

jspectyper
    jspectyper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    silva
    shogun
    pearson
    cane
    fisher
    just picks i may take the other sides based on the lines
    Like em all. Feel the least confident in fisher but lean that way.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

falcao vs lawlor in the works

im thinking they push back lil nog/franklin to this event

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

edson barboza should win

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNation MMA View Post
    edson barboza should win
    I favour Pearson. He'll stick Barboza on his back.

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

ya barbosa will drop fast

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

I think Okami may be worth a small play here. He seems to be improving every fight and has a real chance if he can get the take downs.

Ladle

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    I think Okami may be worth a small play here. He seems to be improving every fight and has a real chance if he can get the take downs.
    Might as well bet on Okami by decision when that line comes out.

The HOFF

A middleweight bout between Brazilian UFC vets Rousimar Palhares (12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Alexandre Ferreira (18-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has been targeted for UFC 134.

Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com that verbal agreements are in place for the bout, though contracts have yet to be signed. Brazilian website Portal do Vale Tudo first reported the matchup.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

wanderlei should be on this card.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

Now that the Shogun has had his tune up fight it'll be interesting to see what he can do to the Griffin from the forest.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Varker View Post
    wanderlei should be on this card.
    If someone had agreed to fight Vitor again, he would have been.

jliggett12
    jliggett12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

silva and shogun both win in convincing fashion. and i expect tavares to beat fisher. fisher is one loss away from being out of the ufc and thats exactly what the higher ups wants. tavares is young and on the rise.

Chairib

Quote Originally Posted by jliggett12 View Post
    silva and shogun both win in convincing fashion. and i expect tavares to beat fisher. fisher is one loss away from being out of the ufc and thats exactly what the higher ups wants. tavares is young and on the rise.
    How do you know what the higher ups want exactly?
    Last edited by Chairib; 05-06-11 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling is hard

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post

How do you know what the hinger ups want exactly?
    ha yeah I doubt the "UFC" could give two f**ks if Tavares or Fisher wins in the grand scheme of things...neither are ever gonna be title contenders, I doubt Dana White is even aware tht they're on the card! If anything they'd want Fisher to win because he's the more exciting fighter who always comes to bang!

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Yeah, Tavares hasn't been on the rise since 2007. Roller and WIman aren't exactly known for their knockout power. Not sure if I trust his chin to hold up against a much crisper striker in Fisher. Tavares by submission prop or pass.

Tough fight to call.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    I'd take a look at the guy for kidnapping Vitor Belfort sister

The HOFF

I don't understand why he is being cut. He got charged with assault in 2002, so they're cutting him now?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    I don't understand why he is being cut. He got charged with assault in 2002, so they're cutting him now?
    Hasn't he done more sh*t more recently?

Chairib

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post

Hasn't he done more sh*t more recently?
    Brazilian justice system is pretty ****** up. All of this stems from that shit that took place back in 2002. Regardless, getting him a **** to fight in the states would probably be next to impossible now.

Why did "v i s a" get censored?
    Last edited by Chairib; 05-11-11 at 04:53 PM.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

tavares is young and on the rise? do you watch mma?

LayingThe$Down
    LayingThe$Down's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    In some parts of Brazil MMA is illegal. Many Brazilians don't hold MMA in very high regard there. Falcao has a criminal conviction and it was beginning to get jumped on by MMA critics in Brazil.

So, it was an easy decision for Zuffa to just sever ties with him as opposed to take any public criticism for having him participate on the Rio card.

Public relations ftw.

Chairib

Quote Originally Posted by LayingThe$Down View Post

In some parts of Brazil MMA is illegal. Many Brazilians don't hold MMA in very high regard there. Falcao has a criminal conviction and it was beginning to get jumped on by MMA critics in Brazil.

So, it was an easy decision for Zuffa to just sever ties with him as opposed to take any public criticism for having him participate on the Rio card.

Public relations ftw.
    uh no

LayingThe$Down

Tavares will never stand and bang with Fisher. His game will be what it always consists of: forcing his opponent to the ground so he can work his top control and sub game. Failing that, he will push his opponent into the cage wall and work the clinch with relentless takedown attempts.

Fisher is now 35 and has lost much of the speed responsible for his past success in the cage. He will have to shrug off the takedown attempts, utilize sharp footwork to stay away and work distance well to get his strikes in.

2 or 3 years ago he may have been able to accomplish this.....today at 35 I don't see it.

Tavares by decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    neither are ever gonna be title contenders,
    Sadly, true. I really like both guys very much, but Fisher peaked long ago and Tavares lacks the well-roundedness to excel at the top levels.

LayingThe$Down

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    uh no
    You can do better than that? Where did I go wrong?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by v1y View Post
    tavares is young and on the rise? do you watch mma?
    Perhaps he's thinking of Brad Tavares maybe?!

Ladle

2 or 3 years ago he may have been able to accomplish this.....today at 35 I don't see it.

Tavares by decision.
    Inclined to agree, but Fisher has taken a big time step in the right direction recently. His last performance against Pearson stood in stark contrast to his performance against Siver (where he looked like she should have been competing on a King of the Cage card) or his performance against Stevenson where he looked like a zombie. He even looked better in losing to Pearson than he did in winning against Warburton. Leaving the Miletich camp may have been the best move of his career.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

main events are rematches, interesting

LayingThe$Down

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post
    Inclined to agree, but Fisher has taken a big time step in the right direction recently. His last performance against Pearson stood in stark contrast to his performance against Siver (where he looked like she should have been competing on a King of the Cage card) or his performance against Stevenson where he looked like a zombie. He even looked better in losing to Pearson than he did in winning against Warburton. Leaving the Miletich camp may have been the best move of his career.
    It's a damn shame what happened to MFS over the years. By the end, that camp was a shell of what it was at it's peak. Perhaps you are right....maybe Fisher stayed there a bit too long.

We all know training partners and coaches perform a vital role in a fighter's development and performance.

I remember Pat saying he was just unable to make money training fighters full time and had to pursue other ways of making a living. Once his participation at MFS declined, it was all downhill.

As for Tavares/Roller, Roller had the wrestling to keep the fight standing. He kept it a striking match. I don't think Fisher can replicate that.

However, that Roller fight wasn't the first time Tavares has made the error of backing straight up in a fight, either (I bet Roller in that fight partly due to Tavares' mistakes in striking and the fact he would never get Roller down to the ground and keep him there). If Fisher can shrug off the takedown attempts, he just may be able to catch and hurt Tavares.

I just can't help but think it's more likely Tavares closes distance and turns it into a wrestling/grappling match, and that favors him in a big way. It's his fight to lose imo.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Poor poor Nogueira! Can't help but think this is another 1st round TKO/KO loss for him coming up...hopefully get another generous line on Schaub due to Nog's legendary status!..

It appears Brendan "The Hybrid" Schaub (8-1) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (36-6-1) may be facing one another at UFC 134: Silva vs Okami.
    A source has informed that the bout has been verbally agreed to by both parties, with the two set to be added to the main card, taking place on August 27th, at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
    Schaub is riding a four fight winning streak, with his last bout a knockout victory over Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic at UFC 128 in March.
    Minotauro has not seen action inside the octagon since February of 2010, a knockout loss suffered to the hands of Cain Velasquez, who has since become the UFC Heavyweight Champion. The living legend from Brazil has been sidelined due to various injuries and surgery to his hips and knee.
    The bout is considered a rumour at this point, and has not been confirmed by the UFC

1234 ... Last