SBRPicks
    SBRPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Exclusive Q&A with New Matchbook Management Regarding the Recent Sale and Changes

The new management at Matchbook declined to do a phone interview with SBRtv, but they did agree to answer a set of questions in written form. SBRtv Judie also presented a video summarizing the situation for those who aren't familiar with the situation.

SBR: What's the basic deal with what just happened with Matchbook? Who bought it and why? What problems was it having before the sale and why was it having them?

MB: Matchbook has been purchased because of the strength of the Matchbook brand and the potential of Matchbook to be rolled out to other sports, throughout the world. It has been purchased by a private UK investment group with both the capital and expertise to significantly expand its operations and product offerings, and intends to do so in a professional and legally compliant manner. Matchbook itself had no operating problems whatsoever prior to our purchase but its potential could not be properly realized while partially operating in a jurisdiction where its operations were of questionable legality and where payments and marketing were complicated and expensive.

Players should rest assured that all US based player account balances will be promptly and fully returned to affected players. In addition, all non-US player balances will be ring fenced in an account which will kept separate from Matchbook’s operating accounts. This will assure that all player funds will always be kept safe.

SBR: Will management be the same as before?

MB: New management with extensive experience within the gaming industry is in place.

SBR: There's been a lot of speculation and questioning concerning Matchbook leaving the US market. Why did the new owners decide to pull Matchbook out of the US market after buying it? Was it an independent decision or was there "pressure" from outside somewhere? Why was the old Matchbook able and willing to serve US customers, but the new Matchbook is unable/unwilling to take US customers?

MB: There was no external pressure to make this commercial decision. Before completing the purchase the new owners of Matchbook were informed by its legal advisors that facilitating wagers between one or more users located within the United States might constitute a violation of US law. Matchbook intends to comply with all applicable laws. We are not in a position to comment on the previous activities of Matchbook or the policies of its previous owners.

SBR: People are wondering why someone would buy Matchbook and then get rid of what was assumed to be the essential majority of its customers (the US base). There have been a lot of analogies made on SBRForum.com about this. To quote just two: "Wouldn't these new owners be better off just starting a website from scratch? Isn't this like buying McDonald's and turning it into a store for vegetarians?” and "It's kind of like buying Hooters and cutting off beer and wings." Can you address this?

MB: It is an “assumption” that the essential majority of Matchbook customers were US based, whereas in fact this is not the case. We believe that our investment in the site will draw a number of new customers, and the increased transparency and financial stability of Matchbook and its rock solid back end infrastructures will only assist this process. If you look at the site today there is still plenty of volume available. The fact that former US customers are extremely upset that Matchbook cannot now facilitate their wagers illustrates how well the Matchbook brand is respected and how much people like and enjoy using our site. Setting up a new site would have carried none of this goodwill. The new owners are taking a long-term view with this investment and are sure that these affected customers will be able to return to the site at some point in the future once the applicable legislation changes. In short, the new owners consider the existing Matchbook name is of great value, and part of this value is the extremely robust operating software platform that Matchbook’s customers have grown to trust and rely upon.

SBR: Some people with US accounts that will be closed are concerned about their funds on deposit. Will everyone get paid?

MB: Yes. The financial position of Matchbook is stronger now than before. There would be absolutely no point buying a valuable brand and then not paying the customers, which would immediately destroy the brand value.

SBR: Why was the announcement that Matchbook would be changing owners and that US-based accounts would be closed not made sooner, so that people could have had more options to handle their account balances?

MB: The new owners were obviously not able to make any announcements until the Antiguan regulators had approved their plans for ownership and the shares were transferred, as prior to share transfer the new owners did not control the business. The decision was made to block access to US based accounts to be effective at the same time as transfer of ownership. This meant that Matchbook complied immediately post our purchase in accordance with the legal advice it has obtained.

SBR: Some people are not happy with the payout options for the accounts being closed. Many want book-to-book transfers, why is that not an option? Some aren't comfortable with being required to send sensitive CC information in an unsecure email. Some with large balances don't want one huge wire hitting their bank accounts, and would prefer several smaller wires, or checks. Why are none of those options available?

MB: The new Matchbook management has provided as many payment methods as possible while taking appropriate and necessary account of expert counsel on the issue. The payment methods provided by Matchbook to US customers are specifically chosen due to the very high likelihood that player balances will get to the affected customers without interference.

If Matchbook users are uncomfortable emailing their CC information it can be called into Matchbook’s toll free number. 1-877-586-9477.

SBR: What is the plan for the future of the new Matchbook, short-term and long-term? It was seen as the main exchange for US sports, with a notably good commission deal for MLB in particular. Will the new Matchbook still be focusing heavily on US sports, and if so, where will the liquidity come from?

MB: The new owners intend to invest substantial capital in Matchbook to increase its global footprint and provide enhanced services to its customers worldwide, and wishes to make such an investment on the basis that the business is legally compliant with all applicable laws and regulations. We believe that Matchbook will remain the main global exchange for US sports and in the near future users will be offered even more liquidity and betting markets in these sports. This liquidity will come from the new ownerships previously established relationships with European and Asian sports bettors.
    The new Matchbook will continue to provide the best liquidity and most attractive commission rates in the industry while expanding our European and International sports offerings with the addition of improved liquidity, new odds types and a new user experience including multi-language and multi-currency platform global customers.

SBR: Will the new Matchbook be looking to compete head-to-head with Betfair?

MB: The new Matchbook will be much bigger and better than the old Matchbook, with a wider and deeper product offering. There is more than one stock exchange in the world, and there will be more than one betting exchange.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Here is the point
    matchbook is gone
    The interviews should be with both Bet Cris or Blackie
    1)BetCris should be asked are they going to do anything with betmaker
    2)Blackie should be asked the REALISTIC time table for the opening of his exchange
    Last edited by minet123; 03-03-11 at 05:23 PM.
    Points Awarded:

SBR.tv gave minet123 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

"The payment methods provided by Matchbook to US customers are specifically chosen due to the very high likelihood that player balances will get to the affected customers without interference."

How the hell would the US Govt. interfere with matchbook book to book transferring my funds to 5dimes?

fuking bullshyt

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20525

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    "The payment methods provided by Matchbook to US customers are specifically chosen due to the very high likelihood that player balances will get to the affected customers without interference."

How the hell would the US Govt. interfere with matchbook book to book transferring my funds to 5dimes?

fuking bullshyt
    "Before completing the purchase the new owners of Matchbook were informed by its legal advisors that facilitating wagers between one or more users located within the United States might constitute a violation of US law"

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

If there's a follow up I would be interested in the commission structure they plan to implement going forward.

JoeVig
    JoeVig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Get Kojak Loshak on the case. Enquiring minds want to know!!!!

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post

fuking bullshyt
    Not true Zeta..............because 5dimes services U.S. customers.

lukahh
    lukahh's Avatar Become A Pro!

My Questions:

1) You say "all non-US player balances will be ring fenced in an account which will kept separate from Matchbook’s operating accounts. This will assure that all player funds will always be kept safe". Can you elaborate on this? What institution will hold these funds, how does user know that they continue to be kept separated from MB operations.

2) How much funds were withdrawn by non-US customers since announcement, how much funds are to be paid to US customers, how much funds remain in separate account, and how much do credit users owe MB?

Thanks.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Pretty good interview

I think though Matchbook is done

You cannot compete with Betfair

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very businesslike. These guys will run a tight ship.

Some legal books have offered stocks. Could you ask them if they would ever consider this?

Fishhead

Hope they continue to use the same software.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Hope they continue to use the same software.
    In an "interview" where otherwise I thought he said all the right things, that was the one part I have an issue with.

The software is far from stable and reliable.

trumpdown
    trumpdown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Sounds like software will be expanded.... more betting options ala BF.

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

I wonder how long it will take for them to be bought out by betfair

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by patswin View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for them to be bought out by betfair
    That might be the intention of the new owner.
    Hope not.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

"MB: It is an “assumption” that the essential majority of Matchbook customers were US based, whereas in fact this is not the case. We believe that our investment in the site will draw a number of new customers, and the increased transparency and financial stability of Matchbook and its rock solid back end infrastructures will only assist this process. If you look at the site today there is still plenty of volume available. The fact that former US customers are extremely upset that Matchbook cannot now facilitate their wagers illustrates how well the Matchbook brand is respected and how much people like and enjoy using our site."

thats why they have to seed the nba and there is virtually nothing on college bb.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by bradthebloke View Post

thats why they have to seed the nba and there is virtually nothing on college bb.
    not really surprising re the college stuff .. I don't think there's any real interest in it outside of the US (just compare the Betfair volume on the inplay matches with NBA right now)... and reading other threads it seems as though there was no volume on it before the 28 Feb either .. seems to lend support to the statement that most players weren't US based ?

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17045

Thanks for the shitty CC final payout option, MB. May your new venture fail miserably.

brumbies
    sail close to the wind
    brumbies's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7784

Interesting that MB declined a phone interview.

sharpcircle
    sharpcircle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

At least they are telling people what is going on.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

"...The fact that former US customers are extremely upset that Matchbook cannot now facilitate their wagers illustrates how well the Matchbook brand is respected and how much people like and enjoy using our site. ... ...that these affected customers will be able to return to the site at some point in the future once the applicable legislation changes."

So the people you ****** over and treated like shit in transition are the ones who will just be waiting to come back? Poor business plans here. I think you will see some other exchanges pop up before your return and you'll be lost in the shuffle.

Either way best of luck

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33450

I appreciate the effort of SBR, but Matchbook's response doesn't really answer any questions about the situation. EDIT: AT least not the big questions to me like who actually is running it beyond a vague description of "syndicate," how much did it cost, how liquid are the new owners, how much did they pay for it, did any of that money go to WSEX?

jjgold

I would not put my money in matchbook if you live in Canada

No way

lukahh
    lukahh's Avatar Become A Pro!

Liquidity is, for now, obviously the problem.
    Yesterday i offered 1000$ @ +200 on NHL NY Rangers -1.5 market. next best offer was +190, and Pinny was +192. only 90$ got matched. I had to make my bet on Betfair. My first time to use Betfair for US sports.

jjgold

Liquidity has and always will be the problem at matchbook

Betfair did approx 700,000 usd on Orlando game

Matchbook does not do that all week even in their prime on all the games

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I appreciate the effort of SBR, but Matchbook's response doesn't really answer any questions about the situation. EDIT: AT least not the big questions to me like who actually is running it beyond a vague description of "syndicate," how much did it cost, how liquid are the new owners, how much did they pay for it, did any of that money go to WSEX?
    I'm guessing MB put sale price,wsex,ect., off limits. However, I think its quite obvious money was paid to WSEX...they may not of received a lot of money but they did receive a payment is my guess.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Liquidity has and always will be the problem at matchbook Betfair did approx 700,000 usd on Orlando game Matchbook does not do that all week even in their prime on all the games
    You know what's funny? I'm looking at tennis prices right now on BetFair and there's a rinky dink women's match in a crappy tournament with over $2.5 million matched going on right now. Unless this new Matchbook finds a way to pull customers away from BetFair by catering to sports like soccer, tennis and cricket, they'll be sunk. The majority of the world could care less about US sports.

jjgold

No one can compete with Betfair

It is bigger than major usa corporate companies

Tightly regulated also

Approx 15 UK betting exchanges have tried to compete and all failed miserably, a few still around but just horrific volume

Matchbook was always just a pee in the pond for scalpers and bonus scamnmers

I know this game better than anyone on this board except maybe Walker

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    You know what's funny? I'm looking at tennis prices right now on BetFair and there's a rinky dink women's match in a crappy tournament with over $2.5 million matched going on right now. Unless this new Matchbook finds a way to pull customers away from BetFair by catering to sports like soccer, tennis and cricket, they'll be sunk. The majority of the world could care less about US sports.

Matchbook will do fine............everyone needs to stop with the comparisons to BetFair.

The local deli in Clifton has been serving up quality cole cuts for years and they have a loyal following, with many new customers weekly............and they have been profitable for years. However, are they bigger than SUBWAY, no, but they are still one of the best deli's not only in Clifton, but New Jersey and beyond.

By the way, all one has to do is read this forum and others to realize how many enjoyed playing at Matchbook, and the many that still do.

Fishhead

Matchbook will do fine............everyone needs to stop with the comparisons to BetFair.

The local deli in Clifton has been serving up quality cole cuts for years and they have a loyal following, with many new customers weekly............and they have been profitable for years. However, are they bigger than SUBWAY, no, but they are still one of the best deli's not only in Clifton, but New Jersey and beyond.

By the way, all one has to do is read this forum and others to realize how many enjoyed playing at Matchbook, and the many that still do.

By the way, this release from new management/owenership regarding futures in limbo............

Future bets will not be canceled. This would be unfair to our users who have made bets early in the season which now have a much higher likelihood of winning those bets. In addition, many bets from US users are matched with users from Non-US countries.

Future bets will either be settled at a generous valuation of market price or will be allowed to run to expiry, and the winners paid out. We are seeking legal council on this matter and will be sending an email to all affected players with exact details of how we are going to handle these bets in the near future.

Matchbook will never steal anyone's money!

shari91

Matchbook will do fine............everyone needs to stop with the comparisons to BetFair. The local deli in Clifton has been serving up quality cole cuts for years and they have a loyal following, with many new customers weekly............and they have been profitable for years. However, are they bigger than SUBWAY, no, but they are still one of the best deli's not only in Clifton, but New Jersey and beyond. By the way, all one has to do is read this forum and others to realize how many enjoyed playing at Matchbook, and the many that still do.
    I know how many of you enjoyed Matchbook and for those of you who live outside of the US or find ways as US residents to still play there, then I truly hope it succeeds whichever new direction it takes. But the fact is that little deli in Clifton doesn't turn around to the residents of Clifton, the state of NJ or the US as a whole and say "Sorry, we're still going to sell your favourite cole cuts but you can't buy them anymore. Hopefully people in other parts of the world will decide they love our NJ meats and buy them instead of you".

Americans and Canadians bet on US sports with a much, much smaller percentage of bettors around the world even following these sports, let alone betting on them. And I really doubt many American bettors are going to go through the channels necessary to bet with them now. As the new owner stated, Americans weren't its biggest customer base and the company still was sold. Now that Americans are gone, they need to find a way to grab people to bet non-US sports there because that's the only way that company will stay afloat in my opinion.

Fishhead

The new Matchbook will not be focusing on the SHARI's and JJGOLD's of the world(Australia and US)

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Did Judy say SB-whore?

shari91

The new Matchbook will not be focusing on the SHARI's and JJGOLD's of the world(Australia and US)
    I hope not because I don't think either of us would give them cash.

Which leaves Canada (with its 35 million population), South America, Europe and Asia. Again, I wish them the best of luck in managing to come up with a viable business operation when many others in these markets have already failed before them. Maybe if they just severely undercut Betfair and use a crapload of their own cash to create 'liquidity' in the major non US sports they'll have a chance. I hope so.

jjgold

Facts are facts

USA bettors are not exchange bettors, never where and never will be

The BoDogs, Sportsbooks, SIA's of the world will continue to dominate 75% of the market

Americans are not savy enough to take advantage of exchanges and live betting

Matchbook always had poor ownership and this is another move that seems very poor

I would be very concerned playing art Matchbook in the future as it just seems like a few compulsive gamblers running it with some cash

1234 Last