dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I don't think so, with people bragging about how many DUI's they have had and how to beat them I think they still haven't learned anything. When you lose two innocent family members to a driver who was DUI I'm sure you would have the same attitude towards them as I do.

Trident sir, you're right. Completely right, some of these guys just don't get it. Life and death and they still don't get it.

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

You broke the law and endangered innocent people, you deserve a criminal record for your actions.
    I didn't endanger anyone, Mr. Perfect.

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

All you anti drinking and driving guys... when you look at the numbers.. its really such a small fraction of fatalities. I think many more people die from Toilet related accidents.
    Go look up up a book called Freakonomics... where they discuss how drinking and driving... statistically speaking, really isnt that dangerous at all. In essence, people die on the roads all the time. 1 or 2 more deaths a year because of a drunk driver... ehhh.

tonycarr
    tonycarr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Oh and to the OP even if the limit was 10mph higher your still 19mph over the limit. Borderline wreckless operation charge anyway. Do you drive 40 in a 25 to pass cars as well or slow down toss on your blinker and fade in?
    Keep that in mind next time your in any situation when driving.

Trident
    Update your status
    Trident's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2791

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    I didn't endanger anyone, Mr. Perfect.
    So you were the only car on the road while you were driving?

tonycarr

Quote Originally Posted by ChileCheese View Post
    All you anti drinking and driving guys... when you look at the numbers.. its really such a small fraction of fatalities. I think many more people die from Toilet related accidents.
    Go look up up a book called Freakonomics... where they discuss how drinking and driving... statistically speaking, really isnt that dangerous at all. In essence, people die on the roads all the time. 1 or 2 more deaths a year because of a drunk driver... ehhh.
    I have to totally disagree with this statement because it's totally mucked up. 1 or 2 people dead because someone made a huge mistake that could/should have been avoided is whacked. Using the stats of the people who drive DUI mixed in with DWI delutes the totals.
    Every DWI person who kills someone gets off easy IMHO because instead of murder its Veh Hom.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

What? Since 1982 almost 20,000 drinking and driving fatalities in just PA, you think that is a small amount???

ChileCheese

Quote Originally Posted by tonycarr View Post
    I have to totally disagree with this statement because it's totally mucked up. 1 or 2 people dead because someone made a huge mistake that could/should have been avoided is whacked. Using the stats of the people who drive DUI mixed in with DWI delutes the totals.
    Every DWI person who kills someone gets off easy IMHO because instead of murder its Veh Hom.
    No, I do undertand the argument you guys have is that these senseless murders are avoidable. And I do agree. What I am saying is... if you somehow eradicated all drunk driving in the US... for example, there would be 500,000 non natural deaths as opposed to 500,125. So a decrease in a quarter of a hundreth of 1%. For all we know.. that little girl murdered by a drunk driver would have accidentally been killed in an accident because of icy conditions the next day.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

100's of thousands alcohol related traffic deaths in the US since 1982. Small number, very small we are making a big deal out of nothing.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

No, I do undertand the argument you guys have is that these senseless murders are avoidable. And I do agree. What I am saying is... if you somehow eradicated all drunk driving in the US... for example, there would be 500,000 non natural deaths as opposed to 500,125. So a decrease in a quarter of a hundreth of 1%. For all we know.. that little girl murdered by a drunk driver would have accidentally been killed in an accident because of icy conditions the next day.

This is worse than fuzzy math, much worse.

Albert Pujols

So you were the only car on the road while you were driving?
    Do you know what .09 is? Its being able to stand on one leg perfectly for 30 seconds and walking in a straight line also. The breath test = automatic conviction. Its bullshit. And since we are all gamblers here, I would lay -500 that you have driven before over .08.

ChileCheese

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    What? Since 1982 almost 20,000 drinking and driving fatalities in just PA, you think that is a small amount???
    ok 20,000 as opposed to how many deaths in total int he last 30 years?

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

ok 20,000 as opposed to how many deaths in total int he last 30 years?

how is that relevant?

tonycarr

100's of thousands alcohol related traffic deaths in the US since 1982. Small number, very small we are making a big deal out of nothing.
    I am in no way arguing fuzzy logic however a guy driving down the road had a beer 2 hours ago has a tierod go out hits someone head on and kills them is tossed into the stats as alcohol realated deaths when really the drink had nothing to do with the outcome.
    DRUNK DRIVERS are the ones Im talking about. The guy who cant stand up let alone drive.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

so you're going to die anyway, why not get killed by a drunk driver, right? What???

ChileCheese

so you're going to die anyway, why not get killed by a drunk driver, right? What???
    Philosophically speaking, Yes.
    People have become obsessed with avoiding death. Humans are so fragile when it comes to the subject. Perhaps my view is a little different than most because m somewhat of a nihilist.
    Or my view could be a little different as a Canadian. We tend to have a drink or two, or more maybe.. and drive a lot. Whether in big a metropolis or still rural areas. But there is no where near the same issues with fatalities

Albert Pujols

Philosophically speaking, Yes.
    People have become obsessed with avoiding death. Humans are so fragile when it comes to the subject. Perhaps my view is a little different than most because m somewhat of a nihilist.
    Or my view could be a little different as a Canadian. We tend to have a drink or two, or more maybe.. and drive a lot. Whether in big a metropolis or still rural areas. But there is no where near the same issues with fatalities
    Legal limit is .05 in Canada, right? What are the penalties like up there for DUI?

ChileCheese

Legal limit is .05 in Canada, right? What are the penalties like up there for DUI?
    I think in most areas it is still .08. But now that you mention it, I wonder if there have been some recent changes to the limit and it may have been lowered in some provinces. As for penalties.. I am not too sure. Would go by Province as it goes by State for you guys... but I think it is pretty harsh too.
    I mean, in general, I think its wrong to get plastered and go home at 3 am.
    But sometimes I can have a few beers and at 6' 200#, while my level might be over 0.08... I am by no means inebriated or affected in anyway.

Trident
    Update your status

Do you know what .09 is? Its being able to stand on one leg perfectly for 30 seconds and walking in a straight line also. The breath test = automatic conviction. Its bullshit. And since we are all gamblers here, I would lay -500 that you have driven before over .08.
    I don't drink and never have, if I did drink I am sure I would have in the past but I wouldn't use that as excuse like every one does when they get a DUI.

Instead of accepting what you did and learning from it you sit here and tell others how the law is BS and what to do to beat the charges like it's no big deal.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Some of you guys are missing the point here. Illinois law requires you to submit to an alcohol test if the officer requests it. He refused therefore will be found guilty. The only question is what will the judge give him. It depends on his record and the judge that themselves. Chances are he will have to serve some time whether its a week, month, or more. Add too that the heavy fines as well as the high priced auto insurance he will have to buy when hes able to drive again. Illinois law requires that high price insurance if you've been convicted of a DUI

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

where did you get that number dante? and does it include the person actually drinking and driving? that doesn't seem fair.

also, does it include passengers of drunk drivers who clearly had a chance to not ride with that person/drive themselves.

that number is kinda like debating the difference between blowing .08 and say, .10 or .12 (which the law was before MADD got involved in the lobbying business). both sides can find fault in the other.

Albert Pujols

I don't drink and never have, if I did drink I am sure I would have in the past but I wouldn't use that as excuse like every one does when they get a DUI.

Instead of accepting what you did and learning from it you sit here tell others how the law is BS and what to do to beat the charges like it's no big deal.
    The law is bullshit. Drunk driving should be illegal but the law doesn't have to prove you were drunk. I don't condone drunk driving.

tonycarr

funny thing about this discussion is .08 = 3 drinks in 1 hour or 2 drinks in 1.5 hours or 3 drinks in 3 hours. Which guy is actually drunk?

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence

also, this thread is making go up and grab a beer. waaay too early for that as i only woke up probably an hour ago, but then i don't need to drive anywhere today so bottom's up right?

Albert Pujols

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Some of you guys are missing the point here. Illinois law requires you to submit to an alcohol test if the officer requests it. He refused therefore will be found guilty. The only question is what will the judge give him. It depends on his record and the judge that themselves. Chances are he will have to serve some time whether its a week, month, or more. Add too that the heavy fines as well as the high priced auto insurance he will have to buy when hes able to drive again. Illinois law requires that high price insurance if you've been convicted of a DUI
    Everything you said is wrong. Stop talking.

tonycarr

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    No actually he will be charged with refusing the test and the court/DE then has to decide if they have enough evidence to charge him with DUI. Usually they will drop down to a lesser charge because they really dont have a strong case and B they dont want to overcrowd jails with people. Now if hes FALLING DOWN DRUNK then they will go after it hard and hes looking a said Jail time huge fines etc.

I will say it again DUI is not DWI there is a HUGE difference.

Trident
    Update your status

No actually he will be charged with refusing the test and the court/DE then has to decide if they have enough evidence to charge him with DUI. Usually they will drop down to a lesser charge because they really dont have a strong case and B they dont want to overcrowd jails with people. Now if hes FALLING DOWN DRUNK then they will go after it hard and hes looking a said Jail time huge fines etc.

I will say it again DUI is not DWI there is a HUGE difference.
    So if you blow a .06 and kill someone you should get off with a lighter sentence than someone who blows a .09 and kills someone?

Split hairs all you want but driving while impaired and driving drunk are one in the same no matter how you look at it.

Albert Pujols

So if you blow a .06 and kill someone you should get off with a lighter sentence than someone who blows a .09 and kills someone?

Split hairs all you want but driving while impaired and driving drunk are one in the same no matter how you look at it.
    If you kill someone at .06 then it's because you are a shitty driver. What if you kill someone with no alcohol in your system? Should bad drivers be executed for sucking at driving?

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence

but then you could use that same argument to say that the current .08 has no reason to be what it is. if there's no difference between .06 (okay) and .09 (badbadbad) then what about .12? it's only a little higher than what you just claimed wasn't any different than .06.

tonycarr

Because you already said you dont drink, I will say you have absolutly no clue what your talking about. The limits on DWI are so low = sober.

tonycarr

Oh and BTW if you used mouth wash you are DUI. Ever had food cooked with wine? You are DUI.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24080

Got my 2nd dui back in september.. 75 days county jail...dont do it

Trident
    Update your status

If you kill someone at .06 then it's because you are a shitty driver. What if you kill someone with no alcohol in your system? Should bad drivers be executed for sucking at driving?
    You just don't get it and never will.

Albert Pujols

You just don't get it and never will.
    Get what? That you judge people and won't extend grace to anyone?

Trident
    Update your status

Because you already said you dont drink, I will say you have absolutly no clue what your talking about. The limits on DWI are so low = sober.
    My daughter and ex were killed by a girl who blew a .06 and you wanna tell me I don't get it? Keep up the good fight that's it ok to drive buzzed.

First ... 234567 Last