success27
    success27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post
    Well boys, when we look back at our lives we can always find events that shaped it, from the smallest to the biggest. I am at a crossroads today and will be for the next few days.....I have been in a quandary for the last while, maybe just maybe I can find some insight on SBR...why the hell not, right?

First off, I love my job. I have loads of flexibility, solid benefits, great pay and I get to make all of my own decisions. Until recently I had always thought that I would stay at my current company for years to come.

Four weeks ago I got a message on LinkedIn from a headhunter. This happens regularly and I typically ignore. I am in a highly competitive space and my title is Senior Sales Manager - Western Canada and that attracts a lot of companies that are looking to sell into a similar sector of the market. I am well known as I place a very high priority on the networking aspect of my job and it makes other companies aware of me.

So, I did ignore this message as well. So the Monday morning after I received the message I get a phone call from said headhunter. She represents my largest competitor in my space and they asked her to reach out to me. Flattering? Yes, for sure.

This company is the 11th largest publicly traded company in the world, with profits year over year in the Billions of dollars. Now, what do they have that my company doesn't? Well first off, room to move. At my current position I report firm direct to our CEO and aside from our SVP and VP of Ops there is nobody above me....nice in a lot of ways but at the same time I am a little bit handcuffed as I don't have any real verticals jumps that I can make.

So, I agree to talk with them. First their CEO (of their Canadian Division) flies in to Vancouver to meet me, that goes well....then their SVP Sales, then their VP of Ops for Western Canada. Each of these goes well and now they are ready to make me an offer, which I will have later today, for their VP of Sales - Western Canada.

The job pays well, sick benefits, etc. Here is where my problem lies....

Last week I mentioned this all to an acquaintance that happens to own his own company. It is a tech company and he has built two large companies in the past and sold them off (he isn't 'uber rich' but he does own a palace of a house in West Vancouver in the ocean and happens to have a sick where he has his fleet of 6 boats, two of which are yachts upwards of 75'). In other words, the guy is a winner....he builds companies that have value and has done it twice successfully.

Anyway....he immediately says that he had no idea I would be open to moving. We sit and talk for a while and we agree to talk more in a few days. Later in the week he comes back to me...wants me to be his VP Sales, offers to beat the above package and give me a stake in the company. Seems like a no brainer...or does it?

This company is already doing well....he started it four years ago and he is still in the capital raising stages, but they are getting closer and closer to breaking even now, with a current shortfall of only $25k a month. Three of his investors are literally some of the worlds largest companies (think Siemens and Johnson Controls) and he just brought a new investor in for another $3.8 million for 20% of the business (already a valuation of $19 million!).

My thoughts are these....

I will get an amazing education at the first company.

I will get better overall benefits at the first company, including pension, etc.

I will have complete job security at the first company.

I completely understand the market as the job is very similar to what I do now.

On to the second opportunity.....

I will have more flexibility at this company.

I will be higher in the food chain at this company (the first company has dozens of layers of VPs, SVPs, etc)

I will have a chance to be a part of something huge if it goes the way he expects it to, which could mean a lot more than a big salary. I see people with 'real money' all the time....and that would be nice.

Both are local, both will require similar amounts of travel, one across Canada the second across the world.

I literally have no idea what I want to do. Normally it would be easy but with a kid on the way...it is a bigger deal. I believe that this will be one of those moments in my life that I look back at and think 'wow, if I hadn't done that then none of this would have happened'.

Either way, I am a happy camper....not here to complain about making a decision like this..but I would like some insight from people other than friends and family.

D2D

This may sound very "gay" but it depends on what you want out of life.

Do you want to make a lot of money and be pretty well off while working for a company who may just see you as another VP.

or

Do you want to make a name for yourself. Get your hands dirty and your feet wet while building up your friends company to be worth more than 50 million.

We as gamblers like to take "calculated risks"

I would talk to your friend and see what his game plan is with the company and then get a couple of professional opinions from a few trusted co workers/mentors. Maybe even your current CEO?

To me, it sounds like options 3 (start up) has a possible chance of being very rewarding. I'm sure that even if the company's plans dont workout it won't be like you'll be out of a job. There has to be some type of safeguard to protect you. You may want to look at the companies financial records to make sure everything your friend calms is true

I don't know if your wife works or not but if you're somewhat financially stable, and your friend can offer you some type of protection, go with him. you'll be very proud of yourself if that company makes it big. Because you'll have played a big part in its road to success.
    Last edited by success27; 11-05-14 at 03:12 PM.

success27
    success27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

Quote Originally Posted by success27 View Post
    I don't know if your wife works or not but if you're somewhat financially stable, and your friend can offer you some type of protection, go with him. you'll be very proud of yourself if that company makes it big. Because you'll have played a big part in its road to success.
    See what I did there? haha

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

D2D shut the fukk up for a minute and listen to Manny

if i had to guess you already make 5 times asw much money as i do so plenty this is not about that

choose the one that will afford you the most time at home capping games with your baby

the only way to raise a sharp angle shooter or middler is to hit the overnights hard while you are up all hours togrther

your kids will respect and admire you for taking the time to bring them up right

i mean Ash$$$ thinks i hung the moon just because i showed him how to do a sweetheart teaser the other day
    Points Awarded:

El Nino gave manny24 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Dollars2Donuts, and Smoke

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Do not make Money your God

End of thread

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Do not make Money your God

End of thread
    That's what broke fukks say to make themselves feel better.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jjgold

Opie I have a big plaque on my basement wall

John 3.14

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

I would be afraid of the second offer solely on the "world travel" part. With terrorism and planes disappearing and diseases going on worldwide, I'd be happy to stay in the Great White North. Just my opinion, Congrats BTW!

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Interesting thing about this thread is seeing the level of intellect of some people and their paradigms on how they view the world and LIFE

jjgold

Everything looks greener on the other side I would be very careful here plus a family on the way

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Well since it's beneath all you smart guys to post a tl;dr I guess I'll have to to help the working man that doesn't have time to read all that.

Since I am either insecure in my decision making, thinly bragging, desperately seeking attention from forum pals please choose one of these 3 options.

Option A - keep my job at mcdonalds
    Option B - switch to Burger King after shady meeting that offers me more benefits
    Option C - switch to unknown/not well established burger joint that I would have a small stake in and is run by bill gates jr
    It's astute analysis like this that is making Ra77er one of the top Posters at SBR
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ra77er

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    D2D shut the fukk up for a minute and listen to Manny

if i had to guess you already make 5 times asw much money as i do so plenty this is not about that

choose the one that will afford you the most time at home capping games with your baby

the only way to raise a sharp angle shooter or middler is to hit the overnights hard while you are up all hours togrther

your kids will respect and admire you for taking the time to bring them up right

i mean Ash$$$ thinks i hung the moon just because i showed him how to do a sweetheart teaser the other day
    manny, let's get a time share near vefas. Give Ash$$$ the keys to the city and teach him the ins and outs. Find weak dealers and loan shark them so they are in our pockets. Light wand slot machine riggers, free plays, comps, bet stacking, and arbing on overnight dogs which will be favs by the morning.
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave El Nino 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    manny, let's get a time share near vefas. Give Ash$$$ the keys to the city and teach him the ins and outs. Find weak dealers and loan shark them so they are in our pockets. Light wand slot machine riggers, free plays, comps, bet stacking, and arbing on overnight dogs which will be favs by the morning.
    Can I come and bring D2D Jr?

manny24
    pay Bobby

Ra77ler is sharp aF

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I be coming wit my girl too.

This thread all about a niqqa tryna make paper. That's all we do.

All dayyyy. Errrrrr day.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jjgold

Let me tell you what's going to happen dollar bill will take the new job more responsibility more time will get divorced and be taken to the cleaners for the rest of his life

I might be one of the very few realists In the thread and will tell you exactly what will happen because percentages say yes it will

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Not sure you could hang with us inngas. We in these streets trying to grind a few units here and there so we can get some cheese on our burgers and guac with our chips. You sittin' here bitchin' about white people problems. Talkin' bout how you nervous finna' pick up an extra 5 stacks a year...innga please. You ain't about dis life. Donna St. innga

manny24
    pay Bobby

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

I get what you are saying...the company is growing, BUT they need somebody like me. Their entire sales team is crap, I know the market segment that they are selling into and can bring valuable insight and contacts. I am used to presenting multi-million dollar deals at CEO level and that is where they need to go....and more than anything, he understands my motivation and knows that if he gives me a small part of the action that I will be even more motivated than I usually am.

Personally, even if I wasn't going to get involved with him, I would tell him to do the exact same thing with somebody of similar talents.
    Sounds like you really want to go with option 3. If you are this confident you are the missing piece then I think it's a no brainer to go with option 3.
    Last edited by smoke a bowl; 11-05-14 at 06:31 PM.

jjgold

Fuk this Dollar Bill

Give us winners

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Option 1 is a no brainer

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

take the risk and go work for your friend's company. You have an opportunity to help build a company and make a fortune once you sell it. The other opportunities could still be there in a year or two if it doesn't work out. It's not like you are going to a complete start up company.

manny24
    pay Bobby

Dollar is like SBR's Lebronze James

where will he take his talents next ???

unreal

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    Dollar is like SBR's Lebronze James

where will he take his talents next ???

unreal
    Parump, Nevada

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

whatever your wife says. She up for the roller coaster of a start up. Give it a shot. all kinds of upside there. Otherwise stick with safe option and ask relative to bring you in on next one.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

newguy sharp post

fok you coach this shit is real

First 123