Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

One of the biggest decisions of my life this week.....

Well boys, when we look back at our lives we can always find events that shaped it, from the smallest to the biggest. I am at a crossroads today and will be for the next few days.....I have been in a quandary for the last while, maybe just maybe I can find some insight on SBR...why the hell not, right?

First off, I love my job. I have loads of flexibility, solid benefits, great pay and I get to make all of my own decisions. Until recently I had always thought that I would stay at my current company for years to come.

Four weeks ago I got a message on LinkedIn from a headhunter. This happens regularly and I typically ignore. I am in a highly competitive space and my title is Senior Sales Manager - Western Canada and that attracts a lot of companies that are looking to sell into a similar sector of the market. I am well known as I place a very high priority on the networking aspect of my job and it makes other companies aware of me.

So, I did ignore this message as well. So the Monday morning after I received the message I get a phone call from said headhunter. She represents my largest competitor in my space and they asked her to reach out to me. Flattering? Yes, for sure.

This company is the 11th largest publicly traded company in the world, with profits year over year in the Billions of dollars. Now, what do they have that my company doesn't? Well first off, room to move. At my current position I report firm direct to our CEO and aside from our SVP and VP of Ops there is nobody above me....nice in a lot of ways but at the same time I am a little bit handcuffed as I don't have any real verticals jumps that I can make.

So, I agree to talk with them. First their CEO (of their Canadian Division) flies in to Vancouver to meet me, that goes well....then their SVP Sales, then their VP of Ops for Western Canada. Each of these goes well and now they are ready to make me an offer, which I will have later today, for their VP of Sales - Western Canada.

The job pays well, sick benefits, etc. Here is where my problem lies....

Last week I mentioned this all to an acquaintance that happens to own his own company. It is a tech company and he has built two large companies in the past and sold them off (he isn't 'uber rich' but he does own a palace of a house in West Vancouver in the ocean and happens to have a sick where he has his fleet of 6 boats, two of which are yachts upwards of 75'). In other words, the guy is a winner....he builds companies that have value and has done it twice successfully.

Anyway....he immediately says that he had no idea I would be open to moving. We sit and talk for a while and we agree to talk more in a few days. Later in the week he comes back to me...wants me to be his VP Sales, offers to beat the above package and give me a stake in the company. Seems like a no brainer...or does it?

This company is already doing well....he started it four years ago and he is still in the capital raising stages, but they are getting closer and closer to breaking even now, with a current shortfall of only $25k a month. Three of his investors are literally some of the worlds largest companies (think Siemens and Johnson Controls) and he just brought a new investor in for another $3.8 million for 20% of the business (already a valuation of $19 million!).

My thoughts are these....

I will get an amazing education at the first company.

I will get better overall benefits at the first company, including pension, etc.

I will have complete job security at the first company.

I completely understand the market as the job is very similar to what I do now.

On to the second opportunity.....

I will have more flexibility at this company.

I will be higher in the food chain at this company (the first company has dozens of layers of VPs, SVPs, etc)

I will have a chance to be a part of something huge if it goes the way he expects it to, which could mean a lot more than a big salary. I see people with 'real money' all the time....and that would be nice.

Both are local, both will require similar amounts of travel, one across Canada the second across the world.

I literally have no idea what I want to do. Normally it would be easy but with a kid on the way...it is a bigger deal. I believe that this will be one of those moments in my life that I look back at and think 'wow, if I hadn't done that then none of this would have happened'.

Either way, I am a happy camper....not here to complain about making a decision like this..but I would like some insight from people other than friends and family.

D2D

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Holy hell Dollar is long winded like Manny said.
    TL;DR version please

Did this win?

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1476

no brainer you go the 3rd option with your friend. if you have a pair of balls anyway

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9047

Whatever advise you get here.....do the opposite.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: thetrinity, and Guinser

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Dollar Bill your an emotional wreck

I see it all over your face

Re evaluate

Pro Gambler??

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by bigtymer56 View Post
    Whatever advise you get here.....do the opposite.
    This applies to sports....not real life. These guys have got it together, believe me.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: greenhippo

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Driving to AC so I cant say much but its nice to see people do well for themselves

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!
    TankHankerous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 576

Do the thing with the friend with the fancy new start up company think low-medium risk with very high reward

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

i canceled readers digest due to long winded stories like this.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: byronbb

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

This would be the absolute LAST place I'd turn to for a life changing decision. The time you wasted writing this post could have been better used discussing options with your wife

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

I read everything and I don't think I have enough life experience to consider my opinion above any of the other people you know.

If it wasn't for the baby I'd say to go with the friend company without even blinking, it honestly seems the opportunity of a lifetime, but having a child makes a lot of stuff complicated.

What does your wife/fiancee thinks of this situation? If you do plan spending the rest of your life with her then it should count a lot towards your decision.

Best of luck because this is not easy

PS: I saw the size of the message and thought you'd be rambling on for half of it but I decided to read and saw it was for real

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Go with 1st option. Friends can lead you down wrong path. Dont be that guy.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

3rd sounds riskiest I'd probably rule it out. I'd say bounce offer #2 off current situation and go from there unless you think they'd see it as lack of loyalty. Most wouldn't and if you are valued as much as it sounds like you are they should be willing to make you feel comfortable staying where you're at and try to make you feel like you got the best of both worlds.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    i canceled readers digest due to long winded stories like this.
    Butt-crusts,

'I canceled my membership at the jerk store, because they kept running out of YOU.'

An adaptation from George Costanza, circa 1997
    Points Awarded:

crustyme gave Dollars2Donuts 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Good for you! Do what you love, love what you do.....need to follow your passion and the money will follow....always surround yourself with successful people who are winners so you can grow... We all have natural talents and gifts that we have to contribute to the world...we all want to be significant and to make a difference in the world.....
    Just certain principals for success and questions to reflect on....you need to follow YOUR HEART AND DESIRES and not listen to the masses,especially people on here...don't know your personal story or your family life but one needs to have certain dreams and a vision on how they see their life and what they want!! And if all else fails, PRAY....
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Dollars2Donuts

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Do what YOU want D2D.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    This would be the absolute LAST place I'd turn to for a life changing decision. The time you wasted writing this post could have been better used discussing options with your wife
    Been there, done that. She is unbelievably supportive, but at the same time she believes that I am best suited to make the right decision. She is leaving this in my hands.

Frankly, the reason I posted it was to just get it out there. Honestly, it was cathartic just putting it all down on paper.

I meet with the newest option at 2pm to go over details (options, commissions, etc).....I will update when the decision has been made.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Dollar Bill your an emotional wreck

I see it all over your face

Re evaluate

Pro Gambler??
    Do I look emotional here JJ? This is my 'I am going to shove a 2x4 up JJ's ass about now' look.
    Attached Images  

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

give me a bet tonight

gregmav1
    gregmav1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1350

Good spot to be in. Legit difficult decision, pros and cons to both sides obviously, won't waste time exploring them.

My advice to you would be to go with the second. It seems you have the resume and pedigree to get that 1st job or one like it if you would ever want it. The 2nd one is more rare and the payoff/rewards are potentially greater. I would say go there for a year, two years, three years, and if it doesn't work out you leave and continue on the regular path.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

It comes down to the combination of job/family security, your age and what you really want out of life. Are you ready to change your life completely? If so and you have enough money in the bank, go with what your heart tells you. If it scares you, then stay at the current position.

I, myself, have stayed in the same position for over 15 years. I've had some good offers in the past but felt more comfortable staying in what I knew. I've seen others come and go and make similar decisions. Some didn't work out for the others (job market/etc), but if they were smart and driven they usually got back on their feet in the right direction within a year or so.

Just remember, it's good to get advice here as it makes you think of all the possibilities/scenarios, but it's you and your heart that needs to be happy/comfortable with your final decision.

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Seems like 1st option most secure. Maybe try going to the 1st option with your current offers and try to lobby for a nice bump. Then you get more money and keep the security.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

I should have defined this better.....both the second and third options pay approximately $50k+ a year, more than my current role. My role is senior management but both of these roles are VP level and will basically mean that I won't have to go back down a level again....should be able to start at VP+ level going forward.

Lot's of good insight here so far...nothing I haven't thought of, but good advice nonetheless.

I will add this....I don't have a lot saved, for retirement of for anything. Not carrying much debt other than my mortgage, and am somewhat liquid, but certainly not in a position to relax.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post
    Butt-crusts,

'I canceled my membership at the jerk store, because they kept running out of YOU.'

An adaptation from George Costanza, circa 1997
    jk

lol

when guys pose these "questions" its usually just to brag..... unless ur seriously asking career advice from a room full of brokedikkks who cant get their cars out of pawn cause they blew the money on a -500 fav.

it thats the case, then go all in on black.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

I don't know your personal life situation other than having a baby on the way, but how much do you value 'security' or low-risk? Does your wife have a safe solid income? Does your industry involve other big players other than your current employer and this new competitor employment opportunity?

Me personally, I would take option C, your friends startup. If you're getting significant equity and truly believe in this guy (& his company) then go for it.

I missed my shot at $millions a year or so ago and regret it. I didn't jump at the opportunity fast enough, dragged my feet, and when my balls finally grew enought to take the leap I had missed my window of opportunity. You seem like a versatile, talented man. Take a leap of faith. If you fall, I'm sure you can manage to get back up.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    jk

lol

when guys pose these "questions" its usually just to brag..... unless ur seriously asking career advice from a room full of brokedikkks who cant get their cars out of pawn cause they blew the money on a -500 fav.

it thats the case, then go all in on black.

Your level of intelligence astounds me.......as well of your command of the English language in all your posts

slash
    slash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11532

1. Tell your current company that you got this offer from company x.

2. Let your current company top company x's offer.

3. Tell company x that your current employer offered you even more, and company x will of course more than match that.

4. Do the same with your friend.

On a side note, I wouldn't get involved with a company owned by a friend, if the friendship mattered to me. If the company situation goes bad, your friendship will surely turn bad as well.

cashmoneyholla
    cashmoneyholla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7653

For a guys that is supposedly so successful i can not believe he would come on here searching for answers. So you live in canada? There must be a zero % chance you work in the oil business. But from what i have seen, you would be absolutely stupid not to take the third option. Good luck.

Holla

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

I wouldn't bounce the 3rd option off your current situation because it sounds very high risk and not appropriate for your situation - you wouldn't want current employer to think you're exercising leverage, only really debating opportunity #2 for increased pay and potential - after all you've got a shit factory on the way and they are expensive. Definitely think a sit down with employer #1 about offer #2 is the simple answer here. When they fire you for insubordination and the other two offers are no longer interested I never posted in this thread.

Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Does the 3rd option happen to be the producer for the anthony cumia show?

If not, then I'd go with the 2nd option. Unless it's the You Know Whattt dude podcast, because that is shit.

Looks like You should probably just stick with #1, comfortable, no risk, same old day over and over again. Have fun with that for the next 10 years.

cashmoneyholla

Take the third man and keep us updated to your progress. I am excited for you. Nothing like being part of a business that you own or atleast have a say on how this company will be doing in the future.

Holla

smoke a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by cashmoneyholla View Post
    For a guys that is supposedly so successful i can not believe he would come on here searching for answers. So you live in canada? There must be a zero % chance you work in the oil business. But from what i have seen, you would be absolutely stupid not to take the third option. Good luck.

Holla
    Why? Because the 3rd guy has a bunch of boats?

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

I have no comment on this situation

cashmoneyholla

Man if your only making 50 K a year, take the third option. And no smoky not because of the boats. But it sounds like he has the opportunity to be part of something special. growing a small business into something meaningful. sounds very exciting to me. And to partner with someone so successful it just a nice bonus.

Holla

smoke a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by cashmoneyholla View Post
    Man if your only making 50 K a year, take the third option. And no smoky not because of the boats. But it sounds like he has the opportunity to be part of something special. growing a small business into something meaningful. sounds very exciting to me. And to partner with someone so successful it just a nice bonus.

Holla
    Don't think he said he makes 50k a year at 1st job. Just said that other 2 offer about 50k more a year.

123 Last