ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

Lance Armstrong statement: Breaking news

Statement issued Thursday night by seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong:
    "There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense.

I had hoped that a federal court would stop USADA's charade. Although the court was sympathetic to my concerns and recognized the many improprieties and deficiencies in USADA's motives, its conduct, and its process, the court ultimately decided that it could not intervene.

If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA's process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and - once and for all - put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance. But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims. The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?

From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation. As respected organizations such as UCI and USA Cycling have made clear, USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges. The international bodies governing cycling have ordered USADA to stop, have given notice that no one should participate in USADA's improper proceedings, and have made it clear the pronouncements by USADA that it has banned people for life or stripped them of their accomplishments are made without authority. And as many others, including USADA's own arbitrators, have found, there is nothing even remotely fair about its process. USADA has broken the law, turned its back on its own rules, and stiff-armed those who have tried to persuade USADA to honor its obligations.

At every turn, USADA has played the role of a bully, threatening everyone in its way and challenging the good faith of anyone who questions its motives or its methods, all at U.S. taxpayers' expense. For the last two months, USADA has endlessly repeated the mantra that there should be a single set of rules, applicable to all, but they have arrogantly refused to practice what they preach. On top of all that, USADA has allegedly made deals with other riders that circumvent their own rules as long as they said I cheated. Many of those riders continue to race today.

The bottom line is I played by the rules that were put in place by the UCI, WADA and USADA when I raced. The idea that athletes can be convicted today without positive A and B samples, under the same rules and procedures that apply to athletes with positive tests, perverts the system and creates a process where any begrudged ex-teammate can open a USADA case out of spite or for personal gain or a cheating cyclist can cut a sweetheart deal for themselves. It's an unfair approach, applied selectively, in opposition to all the rules. It's just not right.

USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles. I know who won those seven Tours, my teammates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours. We all raced together. For three weeks over the same roads, the same mountains, and against all the weather and elements that we had to confront. There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment. The same courses, the same rules. The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart.

Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities. This October, my Foundation will celebrate 15 years of service to cancer survivors and the milestone of raising nearly $500 million. We have a lot of work to do and I'm looking forward to an end to this pointless distraction. I have a responsibility to all those who have stepped forward to devote their time and energy to the cancer cause. I will not stop fighting for that mission. Going forward, I am going to devote myself to raising my five beautiful (and energetic) kids, fighting cancer, and attempting to be the fittest 40-year old on the planet."

huff post and nunya

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Spin

He is no different than Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

he is white scum
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Harsh words. Do you guys have any proof that he is scum? Or the equvialent to Bonds or Clemens? Or that Bonds or Clemens are even guilty?

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

So much for my yellow wristband.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Why doesn't he just admit he cheated and move on???

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Armstrong stripped of all 7 titles and banned for life...

Unfukkinreal real. Real kick to his ball.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Harsh words. Do you guys have any proof that he is scum? Or the equvialent to Bonds or Clemens? Or that Bonds or Clemens are even guilty?
    He cheated on his wife....

So what would he NOT cheat?

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Dude had cancer. I don't really care that he cheated. But, yeah, he should've admitted it.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Lol

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Guy passed all the tests yet we always think he's a cheater.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Good. He's a liberal democrat anyway.

Fukk him.
    Points Awarded:

nosniboR11 gave opie1988 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Doughboy22 gave opie1988 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

How? He never tested positive, and he said that if they try to take away his titles, he'll sue. Where are you reading that he was actually stripped of his titles?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

He has made all the money and sold all the wristbands now, no big deal, next he will make a statement that he didn't have cancer. A house of cards.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

How do we know he cheated?

Serious question. Or are we just assuming? Feel like I'm missing something here.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kindred, and Delicious

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11989

Good.

5 years overdue.

Guy still has his livestrong movement to fall back on.

No shame in that.

CanuckG

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    How? He never tested positive, and he said that if they try to take away his titles, he'll sue. Where are you reading that he was actually stripped of his titles?
    Errrr everywhere on the internet.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Text I got
    ESPN SportsCenter - USADA to strip Lance Armstrong of his 7 Tour de France titles, ban him from cycling for life

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

He never failed a test so leave him alone. He has proven that he hasnt taken roids and yet nobody has proven he did.

CanuckG

Show me a doping test that came up positive He's still the GOAT

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

Even if he cheated, I wouldn't care. Guy got fukked by life when he was diagnosed with cancer. If he did cheat, I would still respect him in this case.

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    How do we know he cheated?

Serious question. Or are we just assuming? Feel like I'm missing something here.
    We don't know for certain he cheated, but he has now effectively admitted guilt.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral...e-ban-expected

shari91

I remember when Ben Johnson got busted and we (as in Canadians) were grasping at straws hoping that the tests were wrong, someone set him up, etc. I remember my mom crying and my dad having all of his hockey buddies over to play on our rink to take slapshots while they drank because they were so upset. Lance has never had a dodgy test and yet a lot of people are calling him a cheater. So crazy how times change. Is it because he's a cyclist so we expect doping and Americans don't really care about that sport or are we just all cynical now?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

who gives a flying fuk

its bicycle riding

not even a sport
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ivanator

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

Greg LeMond was right about this cheater

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Ok now walk Howard and get a RBI single

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11989

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    who gives a flying fuk

its bicycle riding

not even a sport
    Agreed, if it's a sport its the dirtiest of them.

The USADA is not a governmental institution so they have within their right to strip Armstrong of his titles if they feel the action is necessary.

Writings on the wall. Whether it be Team Armstrong assistants driving 80 miles away from his hotel to dump waste at unmarked public trash cans or him not contesting the USADA because "he's fed up with it".

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Everyone in sports "cheats".
    The sooner you accept it the better.

People will stiff each other over sbr poins, kids in hs are juicing yet pros are clean....lol

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

I remember when Ben Johnson got busted and we (as in Canadians) were grasping at straws hoping that the tests were wrong, someone set him up, etc. I remember my mom crying and my dad having all of his hockey buddies over to play on our rink to take slapshots while they drank because they were so upset. Lance has never had a dodgy test and yet a lot of people are calling him a cheater. So crazy how times change. Is it because he's a cyclist so we expect doping and Americans don't really care about that sport or are we just all cynical now?
    The problem here is the investigation has been done behind closed doors. We may start to hear about evidence once this is all finalised.

But the following is not on his side:
    - Amstrong's team doctor/s has been banned for life for supplying and trafficking PHD.
    - team-mates have admitted to drug culture amongst the team
    - long list of ex-teammates and ex-associates willing to testify against him that they have witnessed him dope or been apart of his doping plans
    - Detection methods have become better now since his retirement, rumour has it that old blood samples now do test positive.

..I think the fact he is giving up the fight says it all really. Would you do this if you were innocent?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by MatI View Post
    The problem here is the investigation has been done behind closed doors. We may start to hear about evidence once this is all finalised.

But the following is not on his side:
    - Amstrong's team doctor/s has been banned for life for supplying and trafficking PHD.
    - team-mates have admitted to drug culture amongst the team
    - long list of ex-teammates and ex-associates willing to testify against him that they have witnessed him dope or been apart of his doping plans
    - Detection methods have become better now since his retirement, rumour has it that old blood samples now do test positive.

..I think the fact he is giving up the fight says it all really. Would you do this if you were innocent?
    The ex-teammates and whatever I don't put much faith in. That article you linked to said many of them got sweetheart deals of their own so I'm just going to ignore them.

And hasn't he been fighting this since '96? Maybe I'd give up after that long too.

I don't know. I'm not emotionally invested in the guy at all so if he's a cheat or not I don't care much other than for those who should've won and reaped those rewards at the time if it turns out he was. It's not like they're going to get endorsements or whatever this long after the fact.

I guess because there's no closure to this one - as in he didn't admit it or we didn't see evidence - that it just feels strange. I like to know facts and everything just seems like speculation and drawing conclusions.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I remember my mom crying and my dad having all of his hockey buddies over to play on our rink to take slapshots while they drank because they were so upset.
    Because of Ben Johnson?

CanuckG

It was a pretty big moment for Canada and to see he cheated was devastating

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    It was a pretty big moment for Canada and to see he cheated was devastating
    I'm not denying it was a big moment sports wise, but crying and drinking heavily because of it?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Hey Canuck, how old were you when that happened? -6?

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I'm not denying it was a big moment sports wise, but crying and drinking heavily because of it?
    Yeah...who the fukk cries like a bitch over a sports moment?

Oh...wait...never mind.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

1234 Last