TheBack
    TheBack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 596

Im an american and i played and loved soccer when i was young. I think it keeps u in great shape. I think the reason its not that big here is because it is a unrewarding sport on a individual level. It is more of a team thing. Were as in basketball, baseball or football all rewarding on a idividual level. And we americans are all about idividual success screw if the team does good as long as i had a good game thats all i care about. Plus all the money in pro sports here in america are in baseball, football and basketball. When i was young in the 80's and early 90's soccer was pretty big for youth leagues. But now adays there are hardly any youth rec leagues which hurts the sport cuz alot of kids arent exposed to it at a young age or at ever for that fact. Its pretty sad cuz i think if kids got to play it at a young age they would enjoy it and maybe kids wouldnt be fat and lazy.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Dark Horse, zizoudane10, and GunShard

Bluedragon
    Bluedragon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 531

Showtime...that's the funniest fukkin picture i've ever seen. I love cheese though...

Mathy...may you please post that Grinch pic again? It's fitting...

Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Everything you guys say in this thread is irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is that girls LOVE soccer players.. All my chick friends say they find soccer players to be the ''Hottest''.

So yeah /end thread.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by marcojuiceman View Post
    Soccer is the most corrupt sport in the world...
    This.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/sto...-espn-magazine

After reading this article, I did some other reading online. It's unreal how corrupt the sport is. Some matches you can bet on aren't even played. They create a score out of thin air depending on which way the money went.

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    In general, if you didn't start playing soccer by age 10, maybe 12, it's too late already. You'll never look natural after that. That's how hard the sport is compared to US sports.
    You could say the same thing in spades about golf, tennis, swimming, etc. Are participants in those sports superior athletes to NFLers or NBAers? Soccer is a skill, yes, but a lot of these players out there are frail and not particularly athletic (though they have good endurance). I don't find that aesthetically pleasing.

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedragon View Post
    Showtime...that's the funniest fukkin picture i've ever seen. I love cheese though...
    so do i dragon, so do i

SBR Chris
    SBR Chris's Avatar Become A Pro!

I feel like closing this thread.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RubberKettle, zizoudane10, pepero428, and tommygun

marcojuiceman
    marcojuiceman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    This.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/sto...-espn-magazine

After reading this article, I did some other reading online. It's unreal how corrupt the sport is. Some matches you can bet on aren't even played. They create a score out of thin air depending on which way the money went.
    The article says it all..

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by rentongfb View Post
    To the guy who is asking about why soccer players are protecting their body parts with their hands and turning their backs to the ball ons et pieces, well you should play this game and got hit by a really strong shot, on your head for example, you will have a mild concussion at least. The worst is when you got hit at the stomach tho, cos u literally can not breath for about 30 seconds. Everyone who plays the beautiful game would know it...

unfortunately, the level of ignorance and immaturity is sad in this forum. u guys should start hating less. ok i understand americans luck ability and dominance in this sport by miles, and i understand this cause an inferiority complex. Ruling the world on many things but not the sport the world cares most about. That is why it is called THE BEAUTIFUL GAME my friends, you can be taller, stronger, richer or whatever, but you will be equal on the pitch. This is the game where talent and smartness comes to the pitch, as a team and as individuals. Show me a game like this where surprises can happen so often...
    Again, you're an idiot.

In America, kids can choose any sport they want to play.

In other countries, soccer is pretty much the only choice.

And you wonder why other countries pick soccer. They can't pick baseball, football, or basketball. What else would they pick?

PickWinnerAllDay

And to the guy who said you need to start playing soccer at a young age to be good at it, same exact thing applies to baseball. Probably even football.

Basketball is really the only sport I've ever heard of kids just starting to play it into their teens and then excelling.

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

essentially what pwad is saying is - the rest of the world should be like america! you guys are idiots if you think otherwise!

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by showtiime View Post
    essentially what pwad is saying is - the rest of the world should be like america! you guys are idiots if you think otherwise!
    Eh, fukk that.

The point is, these guys obsess about how the world loves soccer, but the reality is, these kids in other countries do not have all of the options in front of them.

Here in America, soccer leagues are the easiest thing for a group of kids to play which is the main reason parents throw their little kids in them, you don't even have to teach the kids how to play, just throw a ball out there and blow whistles when they kick each other. Baseball, football, basketball are far more complex and far more expensive.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1854

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Eh, fukk that.

The point is, these guys obsess about how the world loves soccer, but the reality is, these kids in other countries do not have all of the options in front of them.

Here in America, soccer leagues are the easiest thing for a group of kids to play which is the main reason parents throw their little kids in them, you don't even have to teach the kids how to play, just throw a ball out there and blow whistles when they kick each other. Baseball, football, basketball are far more complex and far more expensive.
    Basketball is not complex or expensive.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Basketball is not complex or expensive.
    More so than soccer, that's for sure.

Bluedragon
    Bluedragon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 531

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Chris View Post
    I feel like closing this thread.
    not until The Grinch pic has been posted. that should be last post allowed

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1854

More so than soccer, that's for sure.
    If it was complex or expensive then there would be very few black players playing it......
    Points Awarded:

tommygun gave k13 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    If it was complex or expensive then there would be very few black players playing it......
    Yeah, they play it on concrete without nets.

You and I both know that soccer can look like soccer without officials. Hell, the officials call way too much shit in soccer anyway as it is... some guy trips on their own feet and its a foul/card on the other team. Basketball isn't that way, way too many fouls on shots to not have an official.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

1-1 tie with Poland/Russia today and people were hugging and shaking hands like they really did some shit. "We didn't lose, Awesome!"

Lame game, no way around it.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

And to the guy who said you need to start playing soccer at a young age to be good at it, same exact thing applies to baseball. Probably even football.

Basketball is really the only sport I've ever heard of kids just starting to play it into their teens and then excelling.
    LOL

Most kids don't even start to play football until they are 12 or 13. Some play in peewee leagues, but most do not.

There are plenty of examples of former basketball players becoming tight ends in the NFL. Basketball takes far more skill than football, this is not even a question, there are examples of centers who have not played the game, but they are getting fazed out of the game. In ten years basketball will be even more guard oriented. Lots of lebrons and Durants and Dirks and Batums everywhere. The game has changed and we keep continuing to change. Any sharp guy can see this.

The most athletically talented high school kids usually choose basketball, look at Shaq Goodwin this year. There are plenty of examples. Look, you can play a game and make millions for 10 plus years with little chance of serious injury or you can play a sport for maybe 6 years and risk concussions and broken bones, torn ligaments.

Soccer is a great game that any guy can play and excel. that is why the game is so popular. The best player in the world is like 5' and skinny. Anyone can be that guy.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    LOL

Most kids don't even start to play football until they are 12 or 13. Some play in peewee leagues, but most do not.

There are plenty of examples of former basketball players becoming tight ends in the NFL. Basketball takes far more skill than football, this is not even a question, there are examples of centers who have not played the game, but they are getting fazed out of the game. In ten years basketball will be even more guard oriented. Lots of lebrons and Durants and Dirks and Batums everywhere. The game has changed and we keep continuing to change. Any sharp guy can see this.

The most athletically talented high school kids usually choose basketball, look at Shaq Goodwin this year. There are plenty of examples. Look, you can play a game and make millions for 10 plus years with little chance of serious injury or you can play a sport for maybe 6 years and risk concussions and broken bones, torn ligaments.

Soccer is a great game that any guy can play and excel. that is why the game is so popular. The best player in the world is like 5' and skinny. Anyone can be that guy.
    That wasn't true at my school. Most talented kids played baseball. Most of the football players and several basketball players all missed the cut in baseball.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    You could say the same thing in spades about golf, tennis, swimming, etc. Are participants in those sports superior athletes to NFLers or NBAers? Soccer is a skill, yes, but a lot of these players out there are frail and not particularly athletic (though they have good endurance). I don't find that aesthetically pleasing.
    What do you think Patriot Wess Welker looks like without pads? Or do you find the NFL sumo wrestlers, the huge guys with bellies preventing them from ever seeing their own dicks, 'aesthetically pleasing'?

It is my experience that any sport, when you study it, and especially when you bet on it, becomes interesting. It is also my experience that the most annoying people on the planet, where it comes to appreciating anything outside of their own culture, are Americans. You'll never see a European moaning about football the way Americans moan about soccer. And it's not because they find football remotely interesting. Why would they? It's ten seconds of action and another minute of standing around. Those who do enjoy it are the ones who took the time to study it. If you find soccer a yawn fest, fine. But baseball and golf are far slower. And how much actual action is packed into a three hour NFL game? Fifteen-twenty minutes? Is soccer really boring, or are we talking short attention span? You can't walk to the fridge every few minutes. That would be a problem in the US of A.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 06-13-12 at 02:41 AM.
    Points Awarded:

zizoudane10 gave Dark Horse 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

pepero428
    pepero428's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by vangend View Post
    I would also cover my balls if I have to stand and face the ball comming towards me at one hell of a speed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2118769/Wayne-Rooney-broke-wrist-Football-fan-hit-wayward-shot-Manchester-United-match.html
    how much force generated? pro kicking soccer ball 50+ mph easy if

c.ronaldo ~80 mph

or this machine 120 mph ball
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80907123/

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by pepero428 View Post
    how much force generated? pro kicking soccer ball 50+ mph easy if

c.ronaldo ~80 mph

or this machine 120 mph ball
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80907123/
    Every single pitcher in MLB has bigger balls than soccer players though. They deliver every pitch knowing that a much harder, more damaging baseball can come flying back at them at 110-120 MPH
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mathdotcom

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Every single pitcher in MLB has bigger balls than soccer players though. They deliver every pitch knowing that a much harder, more damaging baseball can come flying back at them at 110-120 MPH
    And due to their delivery, limited ability to defend themselves as it comes at them

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

That wasn't true at my school. Most talented kids played baseball. Most of the football players and several basketball players all missed the cut in baseball.
    Yes, your school is the norm. Good reasoning....

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    Yes, your school is the norm. Good reasoning....
    I'm sure every school is different. I'm sure there are areas where the most athletic kids play hockey, soccer, football, baseball, basketball, etc.

The most athletic kids usually flock to the sport they have the best chance to win at.

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

What do you think Patriot Wess Welker looks like without pads?
    Like the Hulk next to Lionel Messi and really, next to most people who aren't in the NFL:

It is also my experience that the most annoying people on the planet, where it comes to appreciating anything outside of their own culture, are Americans.
    My experience is that YOU are the most annoying person on the planet, so I could care less about your experience. Appreciation for soccer is a matter of taste. It's not an indictment of anyone's culture if they don't like it.

PickWinnerAllDay

I love it... now Americans aren't cultured because they don't like soccer.

Sorry. When you turn on a soccer match and you see guys sliding into each other barely making contact and then guys going down in 'agony' it is hard to enjoy the sport.

Watching soccer is like watching the Heat play defense in the post.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 06-16-15 at 04:37 PM. Reason: image does not exist

mathdotcom

I love it... now Americans aren't cultured because they don't like soccer.

Sorry. When you turn on a soccer match and you see guys sliding into each other barely making contact and then guys going down in 'agony' it is hard to enjoy the sport.

Watching soccer is like watching the Heat play defense in the post.
    Basketball has a lot of diving, which is why I don't enjoy it either. One thing I'll give them credit for is once they hit the ground they don't roll around like pussies.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 06-16-15 at 04:37 PM. Reason: image does not exist

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Basketball has a lot of diving, which is why I don't enjoy it either. One thing I'll give them credit for is once they hit the ground they don't roll around like pussies.
    I've always preferred college basketball to the NBA. Less one on one isolation bullshit, you won't see as much flopping, etc.

tommygun
    Hareeba! for Prime Minister
    tommygun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

americans give a **** about soccer how the rest of the world gives a **** about NFL and Ice Hockey

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1938

Golf is a beautiful game, Soccer riots are ugly.

beeps220
    beeps220's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Here's an idea, if you don't like it don't waste your time thinking about it.

eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

Facts are facts. Soccer, which is actually called football, because it is played with your feet, is the most loved sport in the world.

I could actually go at lenght and explain to you why soccer is the most popular and most loved sport, but I think my words would be lost on you, so I'm not gonna bother.

Here is just a thought tho: Americans, with their advanced business skills (I honestly say this as a compliment) have done exceptionally well in exporting the things that they like to the rest of the world. The world now clogs its arteries with cheeseburgers, drinks coke while it watches the latest hollywood blockbuster. Now if US sports like NFL and MLB were any good, they would be exported and watched the world over. But nobody cares about them (contrast this with bastketball, which is actually a decent sport and is the second most popular sport in the world). Meanwhile soccer is the most popular youth sport in America.

mathdotcom

What a coincidence the two sports with the most flopping are the ones that are the most popular outside of N America

First 123456 Last