flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Whats up flyingillini? Why this obsession with Wayne McClain?

Are you a current student at U of I? I went there around the same time as Brock Lander's....You need to know the history of the Illini and the recruiting process.. Wayne should of gotten the job before Weber, Collins should of gotten the job as well. May Jesus Christ Bless the new coach of the ILLINI... Anyone but Shaka, Shaka will run our program into the groud.... he is not on the level of Illinois one bit... he needs not to come to U of I that's all I know... Christ rest in all of your souls!

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I don't want Anthony Grant, Leonard Hamilton, and definitely not Lorenzo.

Those 2 racist ass holes demanding a black man be hired can go **** themselves if Shaka turns us down.
    Who are the racist assholes? The AD?

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Anthony grant might not be shaka smart, but he is an excellence young coach....

flyingillini

Maybe the young generation might want Shaka but the real old timers and the people that are giving the School millions each year do not want Shaka, he will be the biggest mistake in Illinois Basketball history... I have already seen T shirts - "We Want Wayne"

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Who are the racist assholes? The AD?
    There were 2 people on the Illinois committee who voted against the hiring of the new football coach solely because his skin color was not black. Serious pressure to get a black head coach in one of the two major sports... since Shaka Smart is the right guy for the job, it may work out, but if Shaka turns us down, we shouldn't solely go for black head coaches like those two members seem to want to do.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Maybe the young generation might want Shaka but the real old timers and the people that are giving the School millions each year do not want Shaka, he will be the biggest mistake in Illinois Basketball history... I have already seen T shirts - "We Want Wayne"
    I'll be an official member of the Illini community in August. I want Shaka Laka.

flyingillini

Ban Shaka from Champaign is the new slogan.... We want Wayne or Bring Lou Du back!!!!

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

They need a black coach to recruit chicago

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    They need a black coach to recruit chicago
    Ehhhhhhh... Weber is the whitest coach in college basketball and Sonny Parker said he and Jabari had a great relationship with Weber... don't think you have to be black... just think you have to be 'cool'... Calipari is a snake but he can pitch to inner city kids very well. Or the $$$ pitches well.

flyingillini

Shaka would be the worst thing ever for the Illini program, trust me on this.... We are better off hiring Jerance Howard than Shaka.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

I'll admit, It wasn't my best comment, but I honestly believe they'd be better served with a black coach if they had two candidates with equal skillz...

Maybe that makes more sense...

PickWinnerAllDay

I'll admit, It wasn't my best comment, but I honestly believe they'd be better served with a black coach if they had two candidates with equal skillz...

Maybe that makes more sense...
    They just need a smooth talking mother fukker... hell, Pitino talked Blackshear into Louisville.

ChalkyDog

WTF, you don't need a black coach to recruit Chicago. You just need a coach who is a hard ass worker. And most likely, the majority of recruiting will be done by assistant coaches.

I really hope for the B1G's sake it is Shaka. The only problem, is every off-season, illinois will be caught up in the coaching carousel talk because of the perceived want of Shaka at high profile gigs.

Romar is your guy - I'll keep saying it. You throw that kinda money at him, and he is outta his alma matter quick, fast and in a hurry.

Gotta realize, you guys could be holding your dick in your hand, and are getting some schmuck that was never on the radar to begin with. The AD has to be savy with the way he handles this, or you could be real messed up.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

you'd take romar over Anthony Grant?

ChalkyDog

you'd take romar over Anthony Grant?
    Yes. If you can recruit at the level Romar can if he got to the Mid-west and would lock up to natural recruiting ground of Chi-town, you can win without being a top-tier coach.

Calipari is on his way to his first national title, just because he can recruit.

On top of that, Romar guns man. That style of play will have players from all over wanting to play in Champaign. Every kid thinks he belongs on the showtime lakers.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Yes. If you can recruit at the level Romar can if he got to the Mid-west and would lock up to natural recruiting ground of Chi-town, you can win without being a top-tier coach.

Calipari is on his way to his first national title, just because he can recruit.

On top of that, Romar guns man. That style of play will have players from all over wanting to play in Champaign. Every kid thinks he belongs on the showtime lakers.
    What will Izzo or Bo Ryan do to that style of play though?

ChalkyDog

What will Izzo or Bo Ryan do to that style of play though?
    Who knows. UW had decent success when Tony Bennett was running one of the best princeton offenses in the nation at WSU.

UNC/Duke/UK etc, all run an uptempo game. It's all about getting the horses, and Romar does that in spades. Players love to play in that system. Basically a roll the ball out onto the floor, and let the athletes be athletes.

Izzo is an amazing coach. Bo Ryan gets guys that fit his system perfectly. It would be fun to inject that kind of tempo into the B1G. And every illini fan would be in love watching it.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

Just a hunch but I think Shaka will still sign with Illinois. He's still listening for a reason. If he had no interest, he'd have turned it down already. His name is Smart for a reason. Illinois is desperate and he's going to put the squeeze on for a huge contract. He'll probably get $3m+ per and lots of perks and promises. Could be hard to pass on a 250% pay raise.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

in Shaka we trust!

flyingillini

No Shaka! For the well being of the ILLINI... He will be a disaster and cannot coach in the Big Ten especially the ILLINI... JIMMY COLLINS, LOU DO'S SON OR WAYNE MCCLAIN

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Illini, you got your wish

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colle...ing-offer.html

Shaka Smart has told Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas he’s not interested in becoming the Illini’s next basketball coach, multiple sources told the Sun-Times on Wednesday.

Smart, 34, is believed to have turned down an offer of at least $2.5 million a year to succeed Bruce Weber, who was fired after nine years in Champaign.

Where Thomas goes from here is uncertain. Alabama coach Anthony Grant, apparently responding to speculation he was on Illinois’ radar, reportedly has said he’s not interested in the Illinois job.

Thomas is under pressure to hire a minority coach because Illinois is one of three Big Ten schools that have never had a minority head coach in men’s basketball or football.

But Thomas has been on record since last fall as saying that while he’s sensitive to the diversity issue, his agenda is to hire the best coach.

Other possible minority candidates include Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton, 63. Sources say Hamilton would be interested, but his age is a major drawback.

First 1234