PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Everyone does it, man. Only way to get elite level, is pay. Selby at Kansas, Harden at ASU, Bazz and whoever. It's the game. Hell, it is called the Mario Chalmers rule now that regulates that.
    Illinois is thinking of hiring Simeon's coach as an assistant. I think that is a little more respectable though. This is an actual proven winner and great recruiter that makes sense as a hire. Hiring Sonny Parker is a bit random.

qsilver335
    qsilver335's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

He would be a great pick up for a former powerhouse looking to return to greatness.

PickWinnerAllDay

By the way, Louisville's AD is the worst negotiator in the country. lol... Pitino is grossly overpaid.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

We got a top AD, and Pitino is highest paid coach in the nation because we can afford it... We're rich, Bitch!

Top $$$ program in the nation every year... You should see our new arena, it's better than any NBA arena

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    We got a top AD, and Pitino is highest paid coach in the nation because we can afford it... We're rich, Bitch!

Top $$$ program in the nation every year... You should see our new arena, it's better than any NBA arena
    True, but he makes 4 times what Roy Williams makes! Just because you can waste money doesn't mean you should! Hes a good coach but not twice as good as other elite coaches or 4 times better than Roy.

PickWinnerAllDay

As expected, SIU offers the job back to Bruce Weber.

wish some real info would come out on Illinois/Shaka... morons on twitter starting rumors that hes staying, morons on twitter starting rumors that he is coming... pretty sure that Shaka will make an announcement publicly either way.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Shaka is above Illinois at this point. It's an obvious step, but not as big a step as he should hold out for.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Shaka is above Illinois at this point. It's an obvious step, but not as big a step as he should hold out for.
    That is insane. Shaka is not above illinois. Shaka and Illinois seem like a perfect fit.

Who the hell is he holding out for? UCLA? UK? DUKE? IU? UNC? KANSAS? UCONN? UL? AZ?

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

UCONN and UCLA will both have opening's soon...

Just throwing that out there, not saying it's a job for shaka...

THey would probably go after brad stevens

PickWinnerAllDay

Illinois wasn't below Bill Self but is below Shaka Smart?
    Illinois wasn't below Bruce Weber but is below Shaka Smart?

Bruce may have failed badly in Illinois, but after his runs with SIU, he was one of the top coaches in the country that could be had just like Shaka.

College basketball fans seem to know the least about this stuff.

SASH
    SASH's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Who is your team?
    Im a St Johns fan. Also have tremendous love for this VCU team under shaka smart. Between this years and last years ncaa tournament, VCU won me in the neighborhood of $12,500

PickWinnerAllDay

Shaka Smart is still weighing an offer from Illinois.
    According to multiple sources, VCU's 34-year-old head coach -- who led the Rams to the NCAA tournament this year after a Final Four run a year ago -- has not made a decision whether to head to Champaign or remain in Richmond.
    Smart is a midwest native who remains intrigued by the Illinois job despite his concerns about Chicago recruiting.
    Smart signed an eight-year deal after last year's Final Four run worth about $1.2 million per year.
    VCU went 29-7 this season and 15-3 in CAA play. The Rams lost to Indiana in the round of 32 on Saturday. Smart would return just everyone except for senior Bradford Burgess from this year's team.
    Illinois has, per sources, offered a deal worth in the neighborhood of $2.5 million per year. The Illini fired Bruce Weber, who was 17-15 this past season and 6-12 in Big Ten play.
    Sources indicate that Smart could make a decision as early as Tuesday night.

--CBSsports.com

Good sign that he's considering it. Indicates that if MT bumps the money it'll be a no brainer for Shaka. Just do it MT... you need to spend more on the basketball coach than the football coach anyway. We're a basketball school.

Monter
    Monter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

Illinois has 2-3 NBA prospects and a bunch of top 100 recruits mixed in right now. Your analysis is not very good. Talent wise, Illinois is a top 20 team in college basketball right now.
    LOL,..You are talking about Weber's recruits right. Dude has a fabulous record. Hope your enjoying Champaign/Central Illinois

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    LOL,..You are talking about Weber's recruits right. Dude has a fabulous record. Hope your enjoying Champaign/Central Illinois
    Yeah yeah... Leonard sucks. And then when he is a top 15 NBA draft pick this year, you'll just say some team was stupid.

Illinois had the talent. Not the coaching or the game plan to succeed.

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 368

How is he above Illinois? Illinois hasn't met expectations the last several years and that is why the position is open. Teams don't hire new coaches when they're meeting or exceeding expectations. Illinois went to the National Championship game in 2005 and finished the season with a 37-2 record. They're obviously capable of being a big time program and have been historically. Here's a link of the top 31 basketball programs of the last 31 years by baskeball reference. Illinois is ranked #5 http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8212

What jobs do you think Shaka should hold out for?

Monter
    Monter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

Illinois - 6th
    Uconn - 54th

Jumping someone 48 spots based on recent history...?
    Yea...people would rather choose Illinois than UConn...sure bro...lol.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    Yea...people would rather choose Illinois than UConn...sure bro...lol.
    Right now? Yes... they would. Lets go to UCONN where we'll be under sanctions and probation for a few years! Sounds exciting.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Right now? Yes... they would. Lets go to UCONN where we'll be under sanctions and probation for a few years! Sounds exciting.
    Sean Miller did it. UCONN is a good job, i'd put that job above Illinois currently.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Sean Miller did it. UCONN is a good job, i'd put that job above Illinois currently.
    Even with the uncertainty of the Big East? I dunno. The Big 10 is taking over as the premier conference in college basketball, slowly but surely.

The ACC probably took the slight lead in getting Syracuse and Pittsburgh but its close.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Jimmy Collins or Wayne McClain, nobody else.

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

How much would he have to pay VCU to get out?

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    they both suck, and neither is an option

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 368

Lol. Jimmy Collins stopped coaching 6 years ago. He was still listed as UIC's head coach but the only thing he was doing was collecting a check.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Lol @ oklahoma being on that list....

flyingillini

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    they both suck, and neither is an option
    You know nothing about Illini athletics Brockster... You are a hero and legend around here but when it comes to the ILLINI you know nothing.

Brock Landers

You know nothing about Illini athletics Brockster... You are a hero and legend around here but when it comes to the ILLINI you know nothing.
    bullshit Illini, i am right with the program, i know whats up. Lets not make vague generalizations pal

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

Yeah yeah... Leonard sucks. And then when he is a top 15 NBA draft pick this year, you'll just say some team was stupid.

Illinois had the talent. Not the coaching or the game plan to succeed.
    I'm an Illini fan, and everyone on this current team sucks, Leonard is the biggest pussy of them all.

flyingillini

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    bullshit Illini, i am right with the program, i know whats up. Lets not make vague generalizations pal
    Brock you are the 2nd coming of Christ on the forum and you are idolized by many. You learned your March Madness capping skills by the famous professor at U of I that we both took a class from. You are a legend and you will not be forgotten. However, the Illini faithful and supporters would love Sergio's dad as the coach....Brock, when it comes to the ILLINI, I know more than you but when it comes to Jesus Christ and eating the Ritz Cracker aka wafer aka Body of Christ you know more than me. G*d Bless you Brock!

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    I'm an Illini fan, and everyone on this current team sucks, Leonard is the biggest pussy of them all.
    I don't think the players are the problem. Weber was the problem.

When they show Weber giving a pep talk before the game against Purdue in a must win game and everyone's head is facing the floor, you've lost your team and you need a new coach.

And Leonard may be a pussy, who really cares, he'll be a millionaire pussy pretty soon, he is a 7''1 big man that runs the floor very well.

Brock Landers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7149067.story

The good news for Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas is that sought-after Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart has not turned him down. The bad news is that he hasn't said yes either.

As Smart considers a lucrative offer that sources said Illinois made, Thomas is under pressure to hit a home run with the hiring of a basketball coach to replace Bruce Weber, who was fired March 9 after nine seasons.

Thomas clearly is targeting African-American coaches after two board of trustee members voted against the contract of new football coach Tim Beckman, who is white. His choices after Smart include Alabama's Anthony Grant and Washington's Lorenzo Romar, according to a source.

Florida State's Leonard Hamilton is lobbying hard for the job, sources added.

As Smart continues to weigh the offer, negotiations have been described by sources as "progressing."

If Thomas fails to land Smart, he will be under tremendous pressure to answer why he missed, especially considering Beckman widely was considered a Plan B option when others turned down the football opening after Thomas fired Ron Zook.

Thomas fired both Zook and Weber at the ends of their respective seasons, raising expectations by saying he is looking for coaches who can win Big Ten championships consistently and contend for national titles.

Smart, 34, has met with Illinois, according to sources, and is mulling over the decision whether to stay at VCU, a team he guided to the Final Four last season. The often-grimy recruiting scene of Chicago is one concern that leaves Smart conflicted, sources said.

In hopes of luring Smart, Illinois has guaranteed facility renovations, a long-term contract and a salary near the top of the Big Ten. His annual compensation would be comparable to that of Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, who makes more than $3 million per year according to USA Today salary reports.

Smart, who reportedly was on the road Tuesday recruiting in North Carolina for VCU, earned $1.285 million last season. His contract stipulates an $800,000 buyout if he leaves for another job before April 30.

The school that hires Smart must schedule a two-year home-and-home series with the Rams or pay them $250,000.

North Carolina State and Maryland tried to woo Smart away from VCU after last season's NCAA tournament.

Smart, who is from Madison, Wis., and spent time in Chicago with his grandfather, has ties to the Midwest and to Thomas. He worked as an assistant at Akron when Thomas served as its athletic director.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Anthony Grant is an outstanding you coach, Lenard Hamilton "lobbing hard for the job" has to hurt FSU recruiting....

PickWinnerAllDay

I don't want Anthony Grant, Leonard Hamilton, and definitely not Lorenzo.

Those 2 racist ass holes demanding a black man be hired can go **** themselves if Shaka turns us down.

PickWinnerAllDay

Illinois may as well throw a little bit more money at Shaka.

To be honest, the Illinois fan base is dying out a little bit. Crowds were a bit smaller and less interested this year than in year's past... Shaka is a charismatic guy and I can pretty much guarantee the student section will be bigger and more into the game with Shaka around, due to the style of play he encourages.

flyingillini

Brock, Douglas Simpson told me you were an average student at U of I.... You are better than this Brocker!!!

PickWinnerAllDay

Whats up flyingillini? Why this obsession with Wayne McClain?

First 1234 Last