PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    That list cannot be in order, because it lists Kansas last. Kansas is a top 6 program. (UNC/Duke/UCLA/UK/KU/IU = blue bloods)
    That is not the point. The point is, there are certain fans who take the last 5 years and use it 1000 times more than history... that is not legitimate. UCONN isn't even a top 50 program historically and he has them above Illinois? Focusing way too much on the last 5 years.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

Illinois - 6th
    Uconn - 54th

Jumping someone 48 spots based on recent history...?
    That isn't a list I'd go off of. Look at WSJ or Forbes.

UConn joined an upper echelon with their national title last year putting them at 3.

PickWinnerAllDay

Some may say historical ratings is too old though. So even if we just narrow it down to the 2000s:

Illinois - 6th
    UCONN - 9th
    Syracuse - 18th
    Louisville - 19th

Illinois has had a bad 4 year stretch. That doesn't significantly drop them below all of these schools they have consistently out performed in history and in the last decade.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Jim Calhoun has had a dominate program for years, not just the last 5....

UCOnn is a big time program, Im not trying to downgrade your program as I've always like Illinois basketball (except when Derron Williams shut down Francisco Garcia in the final 4) Still can't believe you guys came back against Arizona in the Elite 8, that was insane, something like down 8 with 1:30 left or w/e....

But on my list and I think most would agree, they are not top 6... I got them at 15

Anyway good luck to your team and yourself as well...

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Jim Calhoun has had a dominate program for years, not just the last 5....

UCOnn is a big time program, Im not trying to downgrade your program as I've always like Illinois basketball (except when Derron Williams shut down Francisco Garcia in the final 4) Still can't believe you guys came back against Arizona in the Elite 8, that was insane, something like down 8 with 1:30 left or w/e....

But on my list and I think most would agree, they are not top 6... I got them at 15

Anyway good luck to your team and yourself as well...
    Speaking of UCONN, they are about to go through a bad stretch themselves... sanctions, probation, etc... they'll be well below Illinois in 5 years, no doubt about that.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

UConn has won three NCAA Championships (tied for sixth all time), and has appeared in four NCAA Final Fours. The Huskies have won seven Big East Tournament Championships and are 10-time regular season champions.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Speaking of UCONN, they are about to go through a bad stretch themselves... sanctions, probation, etc... they'll be well below Illinois in 5 years, no doubt about that.
    Curious to see how that plays out as well,

ChalkyDog

Pickwinner, that list is retarded. It has Illinois at 6 and Duke at 7.... That is the definition of asinine, and I hate Duke.

PickWinnerAllDay

I'm seeing rumors that MT offered Shaka 2.2 million per over 5, countered to 2.5 million over 7 by Shaka...

If that is true, it'll get done. Not a huge difference there and Illinois wants Shaka badly.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Is Michael Orris still coming there? Or was he a Bruce Weber guy?

PickWinnerAllDay

Pickwinner, that list is retarded. It has Illinois at 6 and Duke at 7.... That is the definition of asinine, and I hate Duke.
    The list is based on facts/wins... not ESPN choosing to air a certain team every single game and hiring a color guy to slurp on their nuts all day.

Illinois gets a bad rap simple b/c the zero championship fact. Can't change that when you consider them, but the overall wins and results speak for themselves.

PickWinnerAllDay

Its all about factoring in history + the current situation and averaging it out I think.

For instance, if Illinois gets turned down by Shaka, Buzz williams probably will go to Illinois if offered even though Marquette is CURRENTLY the better team.

ChalkyDog

The list is based on facts/wins... not ESPN choosing to air a certain team every single game and hiring a color guy to slurp on their nuts all day.

Illinois gets a bad rap simple b/c the zero championship fact. Can't change that when you consider them, but the overall wins and results speak for themselves.
    That list, which is the only one to say illinois is a top 10 program, so I understand your death grip hold on the want to believe it is true. However, those rankings, admitted by sagarin himself, is heavily weighted towards back in the day, when the tournament consisted of 8 teams, no 3 pt line, etc... That is foolish. NCAA basketball's modern era started in '79 when Magic and Bird lifted it up.

With that said, what fukkin coach cares about shit that happened so long ago, you have to go find microfilm to see the highlights. The game is nothing like that now.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Its all about factoring in history + the current situation and averaging it out I think.

For instance, if Illinois gets turned down by Shaka, Buzz williams probably will go to Illinois if offered even though Marquette is CURRENTLY the better team.
    Dude their is no way Buzz Williams would leave MArq for Illinois...

ChalkyDog

Shaka is rumored to have turned it down, who knows if that means anything.

If not Shaka, you guys need to make a heavy play on Romar.

PickWinnerAllDay

That list, which is the only one to say illinois is a top 10 program, so I understand your death grip hold on the want to believe it is true. However, those rankings, admitted by sagarin himself, is heavily weighted towards back in the day, when the tournament consisted of 8 teams, no 3 pt line, etc... That is foolish. NCAA basketball's modern era started in '79 when Magic and Bird lifted it up.

With that said, what fukkin coach cares about shit that happened so long ago, you have to go find microfilm to see the highlights. The game is nothing like that now.
    Illinois is also ranked 6th in the 00's too though... so how can it be weighed towards 'back in the day' when it is only considering the 2000s?

PickWinnerAllDay

Dude their is no way Buzz Williams would leave MArq for Illinois...
    You seem to drastically overrate Big East jobs... Illinois is a better job than Marquette. Not really that close.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Shaka Probably could recruit Chicago well though....

ChalkyDog

Illinois is also ranked 6th in the 00's too though... so how can it be weighed towards 'back in the day' when it is only considering the 2000s?
    Alright, I don't know how to make you see how fukked up that ranking is... but consider they have Iowa at 10.... IOWA... mofukkin IOWA - at 10...

PickWinnerAllDay

Shaka Probably could recruit Chicago well though....
    Buzz Williams is making less than half of what Illinois would be paying him were an offer to come his way.

Money talks.

PickWinnerAllDay

Alright, I don't know how to make you see how fukked up that ranking is... but consider they have Iowa at 10.... IOWA... mofukkin IOWA - at 10...
    Iowa was very good back in the day. But notice how in the 00s, Iowa is nowhere to be seen.

If that were the case with Illinois, you'd have a great point and I'd look like an idiot. But... Illinois is in the top 6 in the 2000s too.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

You seem to drastically overrate Big East jobs... Illinois is a better job than Marquette. Not really that close.
    Marq program is on the rise

Dude this is a quote from your own AD....

"Shaka, you can see what he's done at VCU, obviously done a bang-up job," Thomas said on March 9. "He's a sharp guy. He's someone that has a strong background. He's done great things at VCU ... I think we'll have great interest in this job. I don't think there's any doubt it's a high-profile job. And in my mind probably one of the top 15 or 20 jobs in the country."

nuffsaid

ChalkyDog

Iowa was very good back in the day. But notice how in the 00s, Iowa is nowhere to be seen.

If that were the case with Illinois, you'd have a great point and I'd look like an idiot. But... Illinois is in the top 6 in the 2000s too.
    My point being, whatever algorithm Sagarin is using, is absolutely foolish if you consider Illinois ahead of Duke, and Iowa in the top 10 all time programs.

PickWinnerAllDay

Marq program is on the rise

Dude this is a quote from your own AD....

"Shaka, you can see what he's done at VCU, obviously done a bang-up job," Thomas said on March 9. "He's a sharp guy. He's someone that has a strong background. He's done great things at VCU ... I think we'll have great interest in this job. I don't think there's any doubt it's a high-profile job. And in my mind probably one of the top 15 or 20 jobs in the country."

nuffsaid
    10-15 range is probably about right... No way Marquette is above them. Just no way.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

I've said my peace, GL my man...

PickWinnerAllDay

Lkid, you just seem to drastically overrate Big East programs in general.

Marquette has been a 6, 6, 11, and 3 seed the last 4 years... that isn't a powerhouse by any means.

Plus, Buzz Williams is making less than what Weber was making and Illinois is prepared to spend as much as 3 million per year on a head basketball coach.

You say there is no way that Buzz Williams leave Marquette for Illinois when his pay will be doubled probably? You're just a big east homer. I respect it, but its true.

ChalkyDog

Go for Romar. Best fit not named Shaka.

I've also said my peace. As a fan of a team that went through a coaching search not that long ago, I can sympathize.

PickWinnerAllDay

Go for Romar. Best fit not named Shaka.

I've also said my peace. As a fan of a team that went through a coaching search not that long ago, I can sympathize.
    He can't coach. The only benefit is his recruiting. Just means we'll see more talented teams in Champaign not live up to their talent.

SASH
    SASH's Avatar Become A Pro!

please stay at VCU Shaka, dont mess with my team

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by SASH View Post
    please stay at VCU Shaka, dont mess with my team
    Who is your team?

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

st johns

ChalkyDog

He can't coach. The only benefit is his recruiting. Just means we'll see more talented teams in Champaign not live up to their talent.
    Yep, Romar is Barnes brother from another mother. Most talent to underachieve so mightily.

PickWinnerAllDay

Yep, Romar is Barnes brother from another mother. Most talent to underachieve so mightily.
    I heard something about Romar hiring Jabari Parker's dad or uncle or something just to try and get Jabari out there... sounds like a scum bucket. No thanks on him.

ChalkyDog

I heard something about Romar hiring Jabari Parker's dad or uncle or something just to try and get Jabari out there... sounds like a scum bucket. No thanks on him.
    Everyone does it, man. Only way to get elite level, is pay. Selby at Kansas, Harden at ASU, Bazz and whoever. It's the game. Hell, it is called the Mario Chalmers rule now that regulates that.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Always calling on a brother in times of turmoil to clean up the mess, Obama, Shaka, etc..

First 1234 Last