Panic
    Panic's Avatar Become A Pro!

SEC v. Big 12

Alot of discussion going on about which is the stronger conference. Big 12 has 4 teams in the Top 7 positions in the country, while the SEC has 6 teams in the Top 25. After you get past these two conferences, it is a big dropoff to the 3rd best conference in the land. These 2 are the Goliath's of College. Which is the best of the 2?

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

My vote for 3rd best conference is the Sun Belt.

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

SEC by a mile

the players are just stronger and faster

And on a neutral field i would take Bama, Georgia, and LSU over anyone in the Big 12

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Overall, there are better athletes in the SEC, but I think the gap is closing, especially with the great QB play in the Big 12, and the poor play in the SEC.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

some good 1013 here

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The SEC is much better from top to bottom. There are no bye weeks in the SEC, while the Big Twelve usually has a couple of easy doormats each year. Sadly for willie bee, Texas A&M may be one this year.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

Tradionally the SEC is the best , however this year I feel the best team is going to be Oklahoma. As far as from top to bottom of a conference the SEC is the tuffest hands down. No other conference has the same level of competion as the SEC.
    And we will get to see it again this week with LSU/FLA and UGA/TENN.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

There are no bye weeks in the SEC
    This is a myth. Of course, there are no bye weeks in any conference but are Arkansas or Mississippi St significantly better than the bottom of the Big 12? FWIW, only Texas A&M is rated lower than either of those teams by Sagarin and it's very close.

hoopster42
    hoopster42's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    There are no bye weeks in the SEC(
    yeah, arkansas state and mississippi state are really strong this year

miss st lost to louisiana tech and got crushed by georgia tech

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by hoopster42 View Post
    yeah, arkansas state and mississippi state are really strong this year

miss st lost to louisiana tech and got crushed by georgia tech

And yet, they put up 24 on LSU and only lose by 10, which only proves my point.

LT Profits

Seems to me you are an SEC hater in general hoopster.

LT Profits

Also, a lot of the Big 12 teams are more flash than substance. SEC teams actually play defense, which also sets them apart from the rest of the country.

LT Profits

I must add that I am not a "fan" of any conference or any team for that matter, so my opinion is purely objective.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    This is a myth. Of course, there are no bye weeks in any conference but are Arkansas or Mississippi St significantly better than the bottom of the Big 12? FWIW, only Texas A&M is rated lower than either of those teams by Sagarin and it's very close.
    Maybe, but the middle of the pack SEC teams are vastly superior to the middle Big 12 teams. Teams like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Kansas would have nowhere near the stats they have if they faced SEC defenses every week. I feel that Oklahoma and Texas are the only Big 12 teams that would be successful in the SEC.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Missouri. No chance to be successful in the SEC with that style of play. SEC defense would suffocate them:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=280010008

LT Profits

Bad example because Arkansas's defense last year was a not that great, in fact it was probably the worst among SEC bowl teams.

The reason I didn't include Missouri above is that unlike Oklahoma and Texas, the Tigers' defense is sub-par. Yes a case can be made that Missouri has the best offense in the conference and one of the best in the coutry, but I rate Mizzou a distant third in the Big 12 behind the Big Two because of the defenses. At least that is an argument that will be settled on the field though.

hoopster42

not true, LT. what i am is a hater of blanket statements like "the sec is the best conference in football".

yes, most years it has been, but not THIS season.

everything in sports, absolutely everything, goes in cycles

i said weeks ago that this is the year of the big 12. the sec is down. the reason why vandy is rising and can beat a team like auburn, is because auburn, the perennial sec power, is down

vandy has not made a bowl since 1982, its not that they are great all of a sudden. its that top sec teams are down. ole miss had 3 straight losing seasons, then they go into gainesville and win. same ole miss team that lost at wake forest, goes and beats florida

top tier historical teams in the sec are down. sec fans must face it.

auburn is down, tennessee is down, and soon, you will see that lsu is not the same team they have been in recent yrs. best chance for a natl title team out of the sec is alabama, and they still have a loss to go, just wait and watch

LT Profits

Absolutely agree that these things go in cycles, no question, and I even agree that there are down teams in the SEC this year.

The thing is, they started at such a higher level that even in this "down" year, I still think the SEC is the best conference. Never forget that DEFENESE wins championships, and outside of Oklahoma and Texas, no other defense in the Big 12 is even in the same leagie with even the mid-level SEC teams.

hoopster42

Absolutely agree that these things go in cycles, no question, and I even agree that there are down teams in the SEC this year.

The thing is, they started at such a higher level that even in this "down" year, I still think the SEC is the best conference. Never forget that DEFENESE wins championships, and outside of Oklahoma and Texas, no other defense in the Big 12 is even in the same leagie with even the mid-level SEC teams.
    defense does win championships, but you need *some* offense to win in a big game. imo, lsu, auburn, and tenn, do not have great offenses. yes, they have great defenses. but, in a shootout on a neutral, i would take both oklahoma, texas, and missouri over those 3 teams THIS YEAR. missouri's underrated defense did a better job of bottling up Mcfadden and Jones last yr than ANY sec team did. this simply cannot be disputed

i'm only talking about 2008

Panic
    Panic's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Oklahoma beats Texas, I will take Oklahoma against any of your SEC teams in the NC. LT Profits, you know me and you have been on opposite sides, I will say Oklahoma wins the National, if they beat Texas, over any SEC team.

dyounger
    dyounger's Avatar Become A Pro!

not true, LT. what i am is a hater of blanket statements like "the sec is the best conference in football".

yes, most years it has been, but not THIS season.

everything in sports, absolutely everything, goes in cycles

i said weeks ago that this is the year of the big 12. the sec is down. the reason why vandy is rising and can beat a team like auburn, is because auburn, the perennial sec power, is down

vandy has not made a bowl since 1982, its not that they are great all of a sudden. its that top sec teams are down. ole miss had 3 straight losing seasons, then they go into gainesville and win. same ole miss team that lost at wake forest, goes and beats florida

top tier historical teams in the sec are down. sec fans must face it.

auburn is down, tennessee is down, and soon, you will see that lsu is not the same team they have been in recent yrs. best chance for a natl title team out of the sec is alabama, and they still have a loss to go, just wait and watch

Yes Auburn and Tenn are down, but that doesn't mean the hole conference is down just because those 2 teams are. You put Florida up against any of the top Big 12 teams and Florida will kill them.

In case you didnt know this so called horrible Ole Miss team has 3 potential 1st round picks on its team for next years draft. 2 Defensive lineman and 1 offensive lineman. Vanderbilt may have been down but they have also consistently spit out Top draft picks in the nfl for a team that is so horrible in your eyes. Jay cutler and Chris Williams come to mind and they also have another potential 1st rounder in DJ Moore.

Big 12 top 3 and SEC top 3 arent far off from each other, the thing that sets SEC apart IMO is the middle-bottom of the conference. Big 12 teams are terrible as is Pac 10 teams at the bottom of the conference. I know Arkansas and Miss st arent nothing great, but i think they could beat the bottom of the barrel teams in the Big 12 and Pac 10 with ease.

I could care less what you think or anyone thinks about the best conference, it doesnt matter. But the fact is the SEC has the most players on current rosters in the NFL. 264 to be exact.

dyounger
    dyounger's Avatar Become A Pro!

defense does win championships, but you need *some* offense to win in a big game. imo, lsu, auburn, and tenn, do not have great offenses. yes, they have great defenses. but, in a shootout on a neutral, i would take both oklahoma, texas, and missouri over those 3 teams THIS YEAR. missouri's underrated defense did a better job of bottling up Mcfadden and Jones last yr than ANY sec team did. this simply cannot be disputed

i'm only talking about 2008
    Not even a issue about that Game. Arkansas's head coach wasnt even coaching the game. Nutt was the architecht of there offense and you cant even begin to tell me Missouri's defense is good please.

I.R.B
    I.R.B's Avatar Become A Pro!

The guy loves Usc, can't help his jibber jabber.

topcat
    topcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Alot of discussion going on about which is the stronger conference. Big 12 has 4 teams in the Top 7 positions in the country, while the SEC has 6 teams in the Top 25. After you get past these two conferences, it is a big dropoff to the 3rd best conference in the land. These 2 are the Goliath's of College. Which is the best of the 2?
    thats a guestion me, and my dad talk about every saturday.we both like georgia[i believe they have the best back in football],florida looked damn good saturday night,and tim looked in heisman form.i now they lost to the rebals but sometimes the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in awhile.lsu is good,but the big 12 kicks ass.i have never seen so many good qbs in the same league in my life.

topcat
    topcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dyounger View Post
    Not even a issue about that Game. Arkansas's head coach wasnt even coaching the game. Nutt was the architecht of there offense and you cant even begin to tell me Missouri's defense is good please.
    reggie herring was coaching that game,and his dad was saying felix jones,and darren mcfadden didnt even give a shit about the game.they already knew they would go high in the draft.i do have to agree with panic.this is the big 12s year.Lt made a great statement about defense wins championshionships.i know offense entertains.,but i do think the sooners will play the gators,and it will be a damn good game.

Lout84
    Lout84's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Big 12 has the best teams in the nation. Oklahoma and TExas would demolish a shitty Georgia and LSU team. However, the SEC is stronger from top to bottom (as a whole). The Big 12 is definately closing the gap.. teams like Baylor that once was a doormat, is picking up solid commits. So I think they won't be overlooked here in a couple years.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Lout84 View Post
    The Big 12 has the best teams in the nation. Oklahoma and TExas would demolish a shitty Georgia and LSU team. However, the SEC is stronger from top to bottom (as a whole). The Big 12 is definately closing the gap.. teams like Baylor that once was a doormat, is picking up solid commits. So I think they won't be overlooked here in a couple years.
    But the point is Oklahoma and Texas are the two best Big 12 teams, while Georgia and LSU may be the third and fourth best SEC teams. I would take Florida and even Alabama over any Big 12 team.

And after that game vs. LSU on Saturday, I am feeliing pretty good about my Florida +750 future.

apk2k6
    apk2k6's Avatar Become A Pro!

The South has the best athletes, it's proven time and time again. SEC has the strongest schedule also, it's not a comparison. You will see if a Big 12 and SEC team match up in the championship.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Anyone that thinks USC has a chance for BCS by playing Stanford, Washington St, Notre Dame, UCLA and Washington as their "tough games to win" is an idiot. How can you allow a team to play in the BCS when they haven't been less than 21 points favored the whole year (except Ohio St)? The strength of schedule is an automatic disqualification.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Anyone that thinks USC has a chance for BCS by playing Stanford, Washington St, Notre Dame, UCLA and Washington as their "tough games to win" is an idiot. How can you allow a team to play in the BCS when they haven't been less than 21 points favored the whole year (except Ohio St)? The strength of schedule is an automatic disqualification.
    Well put.

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    USC does not make their conference schedule, THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER HOW BAD THE CONFERENCE IS

in their non-conf, they traveled to virginia who is now coming on strong

they hosted ohio state, the BCS runner up the past 2 seasons

they host notre dame who is coming on strong this season

THE AP VOTED USC THE CHAMPION IN 2003 DESPITE THE WEAK PAC-10

THE VOTERS KNOW MORE THAN YOU

apk2k6
    apk2k6's Avatar Become A Pro!

Of course they don't make their own conference schedule, but like it or not, it plays a huge factor in overall rank and championship eligibility.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

why have I saw Georgia and LSU in everybody's posts but not Alabama and Florida? IMO Alabama and maybe Florida are the only teams in the SEC that come close to Oklahoma and Texas. Missouri and Texas Tech are good teams but I'm not sure how good they are right now. Oklahoma State has been on the rise as well.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alabama is a good front running team, we shall see if they can come back against a quality opponent. Which I don't think they can do.

Lout84
    Lout84's Avatar Become A Pro!

But the point is Oklahoma and Texas are the two best Big 12 teams, while Georgia and LSU may be the third and fourth best SEC teams. I would take Florida and even Alabama over any Big 12 team.

And after that game vs. LSU on Saturday, I am feeliing pretty good about my Florida +750 future.
    I am not on the Alabama bandwagon yet. I still believe they are a pretender. I am pretty darn sure OU and Texas would demolish them. Alabama's QB could not keep up with the points that Bradford and McCoy would be throwing on the board. Florida on the other hand is very good and would be a handful for either team. The state of Texas is a gold mine for football recruits. It has enough players to feed OU and Texas combined and still have 2 elite teams year in a year out.

123 Last