The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Quote Originally Posted by Lout84 View Post
    The state of Texas is a gold mine for football recruits. It has enough players to feed OU and Texas combined and still have 2 elite teams year in a year out.
    The state of Florida is better. It has fed Miami, FSU, Florida, Central Florida, South Florida, and all of the other SEC teams which are all competitive. I'll take the state of Florida Universities vs. the state of Texas Us any day and twice on Sunday.

hoopster42
    hoopster42's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    The state of Florida is better. It has fed Miami, FSU, Florida, Central Florida, South Florida, and all of the other SEC teams which are all competitive. I'll take the state of Florida Universities vs. the state of Texas Us any day and twice on Sunday.
    i disagree. texas puts out more consistently good players. u of florida has been pretty consistent in football, but miami and florida state are in serious decline, esp miami. that is a sign that the top players in the state are declining. central florida and s florida have a few good yrs, but are not national schools.

most of the big 12 players are from the state of texas and you are seeing it manifest on the field this season, these texas kids who are jrs and srs in college rite now are simply awesome

bbyhill
    bbyhill's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by hoopster42 View Post
    i disagree. texas puts out more consistently good players. u of florida has been pretty consistent in football, but miami and florida state are in serious decline, esp miami. that is a sign that the top players in the state are declining. central florida and s florida have a few good yrs, but are not national schools.

most of the big 12 players are from the state of texas and you are seeing it manifest on the field this season, these texas kids who are jrs and srs in college rite now are simply awesome
    They have a lot of Oklahoma players to

The Seer

Miami and Alabama are starting more freshman than any other team in the country. Actually, FSU and Miami are getting better not declining. Top playres in the state are not declining. They are more spread out with the emergence of even more programs.

Here's some more info from April 22,2008 USA Today:

NFL teams have selected 136 Hurricanes, more than any other school. Florida State (125) is second followed by Tennessee (120), Ohio State (116) and Notre Dame (115). Miami takes advantage of homegrown talent66% of its draft picks are from Florida.
    • Think the best football is played in the Southeastern Conference? The SEC, now 12 teams strong, leads all conferences with 754 players drafted. The Big Ten and Pac-10 are second at 649.

• Despite what might be considered down years recently for traditional powers Penn State, Florida State, Notre Dame and Miami, there is no significant drop off in the number of draft picks from those schools.

• Is Penn State still Linebacker U? Yes and no. NFL teams have drafted 17 linebackers from Penn State from 1988-2007. But teams have drafted 19 from Florida State and 18 each from Nebraska, Tennessee and Miami (Fla.).

• Players are bigger — not necessarily taller, but heavier at almost all positions. In 1988, the average player drafted was 6-1⅔ and 231.6 pounds. In 2007, the average player was 6-1 4/5 and 243.4.

hoopster42

10 players off usc 2007 were drafted last april

now that is saying something

hoopster42

re the sec having the most players drafted, they have 12 teams so they should have more players drafted overall each season and totaled up because the big 11 and pac 10 have fewer teams

The Seer

re the sec having the most players drafted, they have 12 teams so they should have more players drafted overall each season and totaled up because the big 11 and pac 10 have fewer teams
    They have the same amount as the Big 12 which is what we were talking about.

The Seer

Florida players are spread out between the ACC and the SEC. Most Texas players are in the Big 12 which shows how much talent the state of Florida really has. Most of it is speed which can't be coached. Not getting into a race issue, but that type of athlete generally lives in populated warm weather climates like Florida, Cal or Texas. However, Florida has more speed altogether.

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

10 players off usc 2007 were drafted last april

now that is saying something
    And still did'nt win a National Championship in like 8 years!

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post
    And still did'nt win a National Championship in like 8 years!
    2003, 2004 trophies are in the athletic dept

2005 runner up in what has been called the greatest game in cfb history

your knowledge is lacking big time, brotha

ZBOIZ

2003, 2004 trophies are in the athletic dept

2005 runner up in what has been called the greatest game in cfb history

your knowledge is lacking big time, brotha
    RUNNER UP

SO YOU GUYS ARE COUNTING RUNNER UPS???

ZBOIZ

The way USC schedule is and the so call talent they have they should be there every year!! No exceptions!!

hoopster42

RUNNER UP

when we're trying to figure out the team of the decade, then yes, usc being the runner up in what has been called the greatest game in college football history, does count

its more than lsu can claim.

but at least lsu was the first team ever with 2 losses to play in a national title game

something to brag about

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    Florida players are spread out between the ACC and the SEC. Most Texas players are in the Big 12 which shows how much talent the state of Florida really has. Most of it is speed which can't be coached. Not getting into a race issue, but that type of athlete generally lives in populated warm weather climates like Florida, Cal or Texas. However, Florida has more speed altogether.
    dont forget that MIAMI has been shitty the past few yrs even when the team was chock full of veterans, all jrs and srs, either the talent in the area was down, or larry coker could not coax them to THE U

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

RUNNER UP

Didn't you know that PAC 10 is a beauty contest type conference? They distribute tampons before every game to the players.

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Didn't you know that PAC 10 is a beauty contest type conference? They distribute tampons before every game to the players.
    tell that to all the NON-PAC-10 teams that USC has blasted in bowl games (only Texas has beaten USC lately, and they were down by 12 with 4 mins to go! VY heroics saved texas!)

Orange Bowl vs. Iowa 2002 who was 11-1
    Auburn who was Top 5 in 2003 opener
    Rose Bowl v. Michigan 2003 who was 9-3
    Orange Bowl BCS Title game v. Oklahoma 2004 who was 11-0
    Rose Bowl vs. Michigan 2006 who was 10-1
    Rose Bowl Illinois 2007 who was 9-3

Ohio State 2007 who is undefeated except for the USC beatdown

need more?

you do watch the bowl games, correct?

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

tell that to all the NON-PAC-10 teams that USC has blasted in bowl games (only Texas has beaten USC lately, and they were down by 12 with 4 mins to go! VY heroics saved texas!)

Orange Bowl vs. Iowa 2002 who was 11-1
    Auburn who was Top 5 in 2003 opener
    Rose Bowl v. Michigan 2003 who was 9-3
    Orange Bowl BCS Title game v. Oklahoma 2004 who was 11-0
    Rose Bowl vs. Michigan 2006 who was 10-1
    Rose Bowl Illinois 2007 who was 9-3

Ohio State 2007 who is undefeated except for the USC beatdown

need more?

you do watch the bowl games, correct?
    How about all the games the Pac-10 is losing to the Mountain West this year.

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    How about all the games the Pac-10 is losing to the Mountain West this year.

hmmm, lets examine this, coz thats what i do, i examine and it helps me win my bets

asu lost at home to unlv, ASU SUCKS

arizona lost at new mex, nice win by new mex

oregon state lost by 3 at utah, and utah is one of the best mid-majors in the country

ucla who sucks, lost to byu, who is one of the best mid-majors in the country

wash, who sucks, lost to byu, who is............

stanford lost AT TCU, and we all know the horned frogs are......

have you noticed that the upper echelon teams in the PAC-10 never play the MWC? thats coz the MWC does not want to play

USC
    CAL
    OREGON

oh yeah, colorado state went to Cal and got destroyed

examine these blanket stats of one conf vs. another, and you'll uncover that it really is just a few top teams from the MWC beating the bottom-dwellars of the PAC-10

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    Alabama is a good front running team, we shall see if they can come back against a quality opponent. Which I don't think they can do.
    Don't have to come back against a quality opponent if you aren't behind to begin with. That has been the secret to Alabama's success this year.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BadNina View Post
    Don't have to come back against a quality opponent if you aren't behind to begin with. That has been the secret to Alabama's success this year.
    Right, but it's not a guarantee that they will be ahead every game. Other contenders like Georgia, Florida, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas all can come back from deficits. Maybe it won't matter, but we shall see.
    Last edited by element1286; 10-14-08 at 01:04 PM.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

What are the upper echelon teams in the pac-10?

I think there is 1.

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by fiveteamer View Post
    What are the upper echelon teams in the pac-10?

I think there is 1.
    in the name of decency, i will give my best effort to keep this civil and only about the subject at hand.

by 'upper echelon', i am referring to only the teams at the top of the pac-10. EVERY conference, as an entity, however good or bad that conference is perceived, has an 'upper echelon' of teams that finish in the top half or 1/3 of the conference each season. even the sun belt and the wac have upper echelon teams within their respective conferences.

usc is obviously a national team in terms of upper echelon, but you get my point.

now, within the pac-10, usc, cal, and oregon, have dominated the conference the past several yrs. they are the upper echelon, and when the mwc faces them, they get beaten. even an avg cal team beat byu in the 05 las vegas bowl

speaking of bowls, ck out the bowl records of usc, cal and oregon, over the past several yrs.

many beatdowns of other reputable conferences in there, if you need me to name all of them again, i will

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

I know cal got smoked by maryland.

hoopster42

I know cal got smoked by maryland.
    cal lost by 8 pts. they outgained maryland by 170 yds. turnovers did them in.

this is just one example.

oregon, with a backup qb, beat the hell out of s.florida in the sun bowl last season.

cal, as a 3 pt fave, beat the hell out of texas a&m in the holiday bowl 3 yrs ago.

these are isolated games, anyone can bring them up and try to hammer the point

please bring something substantial, something of sports intellectual substance

otherwise, this is an exercise in futility, dogs chasing their tails

in other words, pointless

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

wow, south florida?

amazing.

hoopster42

wow, south florida?

amazing.
    well, s. florida was 9-3 going into the game, and they were an 8 pt fave, and oregon DEMOLISHED them

how about Cal's win over Michigan st in week 1 this season, handed the spartans their only loss,

you will say it was at berkeley, so clear advantage to Cal

i will say that Cal's loss to maryland was in maryland, advantage maryland

lets move on

apk2k6
    apk2k6's Avatar Become A Pro!

1. Georgia 1018
    2. Vanderbilt 1004
    3. UCLA 990
    4. Washington 980
    5. Arkansas 975
    6. Baylor 972
    7. Alabama 967
    8. Texas 958
    9. Michigan State 948
    10. South Carolina 945
    11. Michigan 943
    12. Oregon State 939
    12. Tennessee 939
    14. Mississippi 937
    15. Florida 934

This is the 2008 strength of schedule rankings. Notice there are 8 SEC teams in the top 15 hardest schedules. Correct me if I'm wrong but I see (2) Big 12 and (3) from Pac-10 teams.

And as for the toughest conference, it looks like SEC wins by a good margin:

1. SEC 96.83
    2. Big 12 89.58
    3. Big Ten 89.18
    4. Big East 88.63
    5. ACC 83.50
    6. Pac Ten 81.10
    7. Mountain West 66.33
    8. WAC 61.56
    9. MAC 57.38
    10. C-USA 55.83
    11. Sun Belt 52.00

This information was found at http://nationalchamps.net/2008/sub/sos/index.htm

hoopster42

apk, thanks for posting that, but we all know that college football games are not played on calculators or computers

the SEC is down this yr, period. other than alabama, florida and georgia, there are no great teams. even the 3 i just mentioned are not all as good as we thought they might be

after those 3, the drop off is pretty big.

south carolina is probably the 4th best team

yes, i said it, south carolina is BETTER than lsu

apk2k6

The SEC has already played more inner-conference games than the Big 12, so of course they may not look as good, they're playing better teams.

The SEC is overall the better conference without a doubt. Do you think Kentucky is down? Losing by 3 at Alabama and by a TD against South Carolina. At the end of the year their record may look bad, especially after playing Florida and Georgia, but it doesn't mean their team is down. I bet they could handle a lot of Big 12 teams.

That's why last year the SEC had the most teams in the bowl games, as well as the most wins.

I'm done here though, we'll just see what happens throughout the rest of the season and discuss later.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

I think the SEC lost 2 bowl games last year?

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

cal beat air force.

apk2k6

Quote Originally Posted by BadNina View Post
    I think the SEC lost 2 bowl games last year?
    Yes, SEC went 7-2. Big 12 went 5-3, Pac-10 was 4-2.

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by apk2k6 View Post
    Yes, SEC went 7-2. Big 12 went 5-3, Pac-10 was 4-2.
    sec had these wins:

georgia over hawaii (i wouldnt brag)

tenn over wisconsin (nothing great)

kentucky over florida state (seminoles had at least 7 starters susp so again, no bragging)

auburn beat clemson (nice win here)

lsu beat ohio state (nice win for the title)

alabama beat colorado (avg big 12 team)

miss state beat vaunted central florida (a monster conf usa team)

the losses

florida lost to michigan (tough game for gators facing lloyd carr's fired up bunch in his last game)

arkie got killed by missouri

as you can see, only 2 quality wins, (lsu over ohio st and aub over clemson)

all you have to do is dig a little bit and you'll find the truth in there

match up some of those SEC teams against other speed teams like USC, Oklahoma, Texas, et al, and it would be a different story

wins over florida state (who has been descending for yrs and had 7 + starters suspended) and c. florida's of the world, are not that impressive

sorry, but its the truth

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I like the way this idiot spins the news:

Georgia beats a -7.5 spread by 30 points (nothing to brag about)

USC loses outright as a -41 favorite at home (no big deal).

hoopster42

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I like the way this idiot spins the news:

Georgia beats a -7.5 spread by 30 points (nothing to brag about)

USC loses outright as a -41 favorite at home (no big deal).

i had georgia -7

i also had stanford +42

georgia should have been favored by 20

usc should have been favored by 28

i said this back then and i am saying it again

the point spread is not always right, which is why they offer those 6 point teasers, because they know that 85% of the time or more, the final score lands a TD or more away from the spread

First 123 Last