CallMeChip
    Damn good stuff, sir...
    CallMeChip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Is MLB betting worth it?

With NBA coming to a close soon enough and a potential NFL lockout, I feel like I'm gonna be in a drought not being able to make any plays for a few months. I'm considering getting into baseball, but I don't wanna jump right in and break my cardinal rule of betting a sport I know nothing about. I guess what I'm asking is do you take MLB action and if so how is it compared to NBA/NFL? I've bet about 20 MLB games in my life and lost about 15 of em It seems to me like it's much more difficult to handicap. Anyways, just curious if it's worth getting into?

dantanner
    dantanner's Avatar Become A Pro!

Betting MLB is best done by picking a team to win one out of a series. I read an article about the futility of trying to handicap a baseball game. Can't remember where it was now. It made sense. It pointed out how you can win 58% of your bets by betting on favorites and still lose 4 times as much as the guy who bet on dogs that won 42%.

There are no good single game bets, but a LOT of series can be bet at a good profit.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: D3 Mighty Ducks

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

IMO baseball is the best sport to make $ in, its not easy and dont lay heavy chalk.!! If a team has a great year they will still loose 60 games.!!

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

mlb is uber easy

MB
    MB's Avatar Become A Pro!

^^^^^

I don't know what y'all are talking about because MLB is hard as hell to me. I had my first winning season in baseball last year after 8 years!!! Once NBA is done, I'm usually done. I'm glad there's someone out there winning.

OneLossParlayGuy
    OneLossParlayGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1464

MLB is by far my best sport...and with almost 16 games a day, I love it

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

what do you mean by worth it?

sounds like a personal question

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

just bet well capped dogs

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Hear the same shit every year.

March - "Can't wait for Baseball; it's the easiest sport to cap and Basketball is unbeatable"

August - "Can't wait for Football; it's the easiest sport to cap and Baseball is unbeatable"

October - "Can't wait for Basketball; it's the easiest sport to cap and Football is unbeatable"

You have zero edge and will lose in every sport in the end.
    Points Awarded:

agronox gave Sunde91 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 9 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll, DrStale, biff, Rich Boy, jjgold, WillC, NittanyLionsFan, BuddyBear, and megahead05

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Quote Originally Posted by dantanner View Post
    Betting MLB is best done by picking a team to win one out of a series. I read an article about the futility of trying to handicap a baseball game. Can't remember where it was now. It made sense. It pointed out how you can win 58% of your bets by betting on favorites and still lose 4 times as much as the guy who bet on dogs that won 42%.

There are no good single game bets, but a LOT of series can be bet at a good profit.
    Not true. Some pitchers have a teams number, as some teams have a pitchers number. There are match ups to consider just like any other sport. It takes time, but it is a beatable market. I started betting during last years baseball season and I turned a profit. There are even line movements that can be exploited without stat-checking.

SouthBayGame
    SouthBayGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2895

Make sure you don't get caught up in betting too many games. There are so many you can really pick your spots.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Always look at series prices before you make any bets on the games that are coming up. Track the prices and any prices that look off use that to your advantage after game 1. You have to be creative in MLB betting. Also stay away from weekday afternoon games especially ones that are being played in wrigley field. Dont bet totals the first month of the season and look closely at the first five inning lines and see if they correspond with the full game lines. Take a good look at Team Totals as well. You dont need any stats in baseball, you just need to spend a little time looking closely at the lines and putting all the things above together and you should come out on top. The best thing about bases is the great + money dog winners. You should never bet on any team that is -150 or more. Look at picking +135- +170 dogs all year long and you will make good money.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol MLB is impossible.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

only if you win

mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

In terms of baseball capping. I'm a big line-watcher and such as LB suggested. Don't try and cap each and every game. Too many variables. Let the lines and #'s do the talking.

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

It's worth it

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Your not into baseball.........avatar????

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good Luck on your MLB betting...good money in over/unders..

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

2 words: Tail Paco

venice2222
    venice2222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2354

i'd rather play poker than bet on baseball

alienware
    alienware's Avatar Become A Pro!

i personally love betting on mlb games

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Always look at series prices before you make any bets on the games that are coming up. Track the prices and any prices that look off use that to your advantage after game 1. You have to be creative in MLB betting. Also stay away from weekday afternoon games especially ones that are being played in wrigley field. Dont bet totals the first month of the season and look closely at the first five inning lines and see if they correspond with the full game lines. Take a good look at Team Totals as well. You dont need any stats in baseball, you just need to spend a little time looking closely at the lines and putting all the things above together and you should come out on top. The best thing about bases is the great + money dog winners. You should never bet on any team that is -150 or more. Look at picking +135- +170 dogs all year long and you will make good money.
    Looking forward to your MLB picks this upcoming year. I hope your considering making a thread because I know what your capable of doing. If I remember correctly (and I do remember correctly. You cashed nicely on the Giants throughout the whole playoffs and World Series last year. And you also won a share share of units in the Regular season.

jorge1
    OM
    jorge1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeChip View Post
    With NBA coming to a close soon enough and a potential NFL lockout, I feel like I'm gonna be in a drought not being able to make any plays for a few months. I'm considering getting into baseball, but I don't wanna jump right in and break my cardinal rule of betting a sport I know nothing about. I guess what I'm asking is do you take MLB action and if so how is it compared to NBA/NFL? I've bet about 20 MLB games in my life and lost about 15 of em It seems to me like it's much more difficult to handicap. Anyways, just curious if it's worth getting into?
    To answer your questions to the best of my ability: In my opinion, Football can seem alot more manageable because NFL totals are easy to call, and College games are easy to call as well. Its easy to see these superpowers come out and demolish teams, etc...the hard thing I see about football is that, if you consider betting as a form of investment, Football is VERY VERY poor form of it. The investment opportunities are very limited. You can only bet a few games for college on THUSDAYS, a few fridays, a ton saturdays, and NFL on sundays, and ONE Monday Night! So its alot less opportunities.

Basketball is the opposite to football...lots of games to bet.

BASES offer the consistency of basketball, with 16 or so games, most days. that is EVERYDAY for MONTHSSSS!!!! this offers you a vast amount of investment opportunities. THAT, TO MEEEE, is the key to bases. Sure i have a bad day, but i always have the next day to recover, etc. Football cannot offer this consistency, however, it can offer other pluses. I play both sports WAY differently!!! For example, I see baseball opportunities and i just put a unit, or two...but on football, you see an OFF line, and you POUND IT! its easier to KNOW, or to CALL games based on team and data knowledge.

Additionally, Baseball is great to me because its a sport where ONE player can change EVERYTHING...and i mean EVERYTHING...pitchers change all the way from the game LINES, TOTALS, to the actual game. A pitcher can really sway the WHOLE game...In basketball, its a whole team...you say - OH, KOBE IS HURT, pound the opposition! i HAVE AN EDGE! and then freakin whole team comes out and kills it without KOBE...its a team sport...

So, bases are good...some guys play it by line movement..others by just KNOWLEDGE of the game..i do both. I love handicapping games in different ways...there are MANY MANY angles and edges found in one day...totals, First Five innings, FIRST INNING!

and BIGGEST reason to bet MLB is the ENORMOUS amount of dogs that win...i am convinced that Bases is the game in which the lines are weighed MOSTLY on public perception! its ALL public perception on certain pitchers, or certain teams (NYY), etc.

My advice: Just as an experiment, push around some betpoints and bet ONLY DOGS ML...ONLY DOGS ML and after a week you will see the results....seriously man...wager dogs!!!!

Best of luck..thats how i started a few years ago and this year I am back to wager ONLY DOGS! seriously i am not betting a freaking fave unless i see some crazy line price that isnt right...

BOL

Jorge
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: CallMeChip

Blueline Master
    Blueline Master's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

good point jorge.. but you need to be patient to win this baseball handicap..

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Bookies dont do well in baseball seaseon (thats what I've heard). That must be a good thing.

Also lines wont be as sharp as say NFL lines, since there are 15-16 games a day, everyday for 6 months.

Get good overnight lines at 5dimes and you can clean up. Look for small dogs at home in the +105 to +115 range and try to hit near 50%.

If your a total newbie, just fade the Yankees and you should do just fine.

You should have accounts at Matchbook, 5dimes, Pinny (if possible) to get the best lines.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bases are great till you chase on a -200 NYY and leave with your ass looking like the Grand Canyon.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i am scared of baseball, seems like my team will be winning 4-1 or something, and then there's one inning where they plug in some JACKASS relief pitcher and it's suddenly 4-7. it's not steady like basketball, one pitch goes wrong and it's a 3 run homer. how do people make money at baseball?

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    i am scared of baseball, seems like my team will be winning 4-1 or something, and then there's one inning where they plug in some JACKASS relief pitcher and it's suddenly 4-7. it's not steady like basketball, one pitch goes wrong and it's a 3 run homer. how do people make money at baseball?
    "First 5 inning" bets are usually available everywhere. I prefer these and totals to anything else. Don't let bullpens, even good ones, determine your side outcome!!

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Yep especially betting phillies amd Giants ml's stay with a strong team all season...phillies made me money last year remember money management.

astrodomer
    Houston Oilers
    astrodomer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Baseball is the best !!

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by astrodomer View Post
    Baseball is the best !!

nijole
    nijole's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oh yes, it is

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Baseball & Hockey are best.

PAYTON20
    PAYTON20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 770

It's the only sport where you have a competetive edge against the books before it starts (knowing the starting pitchers)

Granted, this is usually factored into the line. But if you know enough about the pitchers/teams you can do pretty well

Like people mentioned before, stay away from high juice MLs. Not worth it in baseball cuz every game can go either way. Try betting -1 instead of RL (-1.5) to save yourself from a 1 run win- especially when betting on the home team

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Baseball & Hockey are best.

123 Last