Quote Originally Posted by CallMeChip View Post
With NBA coming to a close soon enough and a potential NFL lockout, I feel like I'm gonna be in a drought not being able to make any plays for a few months. I'm considering getting into baseball, but I don't wanna jump right in and break my cardinal rule of betting a sport I know nothing about. I guess what I'm asking is do you take MLB action and if so how is it compared to NBA/NFL? I've bet about 20 MLB games in my life and lost about 15 of em It seems to me like it's much more difficult to handicap. Anyways, just curious if it's worth getting into?
To answer your questions to the best of my ability: In my opinion, Football can seem alot more manageable because NFL totals are easy to call, and College games are easy to call as well. Its easy to see these superpowers come out and demolish teams, etc...the hard thing I see about football is that, if you consider betting as a form of investment, Football is VERY VERY poor form of it. The investment opportunities are very limited. You can only bet a few games for college on THUSDAYS, a few fridays, a ton saturdays, and NFL on sundays, and ONE Monday Night! So its alot less opportunities.

Basketball is the opposite to football...lots of games to bet.

BASES offer the consistency of basketball, with 16 or so games, most days. that is EVERYDAY for MONTHSSSS!!!! this offers you a vast amount of investment opportunities. THAT, TO MEEEE, is the key to bases. Sure i have a bad day, but i always have the next day to recover, etc. Football cannot offer this consistency, however, it can offer other pluses. I play both sports WAY differently!!! For example, I see baseball opportunities and i just put a unit, or two...but on football, you see an OFF line, and you POUND IT! its easier to KNOW, or to CALL games based on team and data knowledge.

Additionally, Baseball is great to me because its a sport where ONE player can change EVERYTHING...and i mean EVERYTHING...pitchers change all the way from the game LINES, TOTALS, to the actual game. A pitcher can really sway the WHOLE game...In basketball, its a whole team...you say - OH, KOBE IS HURT, pound the opposition! i HAVE AN EDGE! and then freakin whole team comes out and kills it without KOBE...its a team sport...

So, bases are good...some guys play it by line movement..others by just KNOWLEDGE of the game..i do both. I love handicapping games in different ways...there are MANY MANY angles and edges found in one day...totals, First Five innings, FIRST INNING!

and BIGGEST reason to bet MLB is the ENORMOUS amount of dogs that win...i am convinced that Bases is the game in which the lines are weighed MOSTLY on public perception! its ALL public perception on certain pitchers, or certain teams (NYY), etc.

My advice: Just as an experiment, push around some betpoints and bet ONLY DOGS ML...ONLY DOGS ML and after a week you will see the results....seriously man...wager dogs!!!!

Best of luck..thats how i started a few years ago and this year I am back to wager ONLY DOGS! seriously i am not betting a freaking fave unless i see some crazy line price that isnt right...

BOL

Jorge