mcbain
    mcbain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

possible NHL system

I posted about this possible NHL system in the NBA thread where we have been following the Morrison NBA system and I suggested it might work for hockey.

Good and bad news so far after going through this season's data in the NHL, looking for a possible any 3-game road trip A-B-C series betting system.

This season so far if one was to bet every visiting team heading out on a 3 game road trip (and split 6-game trip into two bets) on a straight moneyline bet record would be:

76 A wins
    43 B wins
    17 C wins

for 136 total wins which sounds nice.

However, you would encounter, if you bet moneyline with no filters:

27 losses

Your record is 136-27 and with series betting you are down for the season.

So with those numbers we have no system.

HOWEVER, if we bet the +1.5 line on all our road teams (when available and looking at the games only one team would have been favored on the road, DET), we would see

22 of those losses turn to wins
    as there was at least one game in the series where our team lost by 1 goal.

Further, if we eliminated playing teams in the second 3 of a 6-game roadie, we could eiminate another

3 losses (and one of those was DET)

So we are down to 2 outright losses

The last filter that we could apply would be to elminate betting on the teams with the 5 worst road records (or 4 or 3, something like that).

That would eliminate another loss as OTT would not have been a play.

That would leave us with ONE outright loss, Carolina series starting on Jan. 8 of this year.

So applying a +1.5 betting strategy, skip the second 3 games of the long trips, don't bet on the absolute worst road teams, you could come up with a record of

145-1

(the original 136 wins plus the 22 gained by betting +1.5, take off 13 wins by skipping second set of 3 on 6-game trips and taking off the losses that simply would not have been bet.)

Is that clear to everyone? I'm sure not.

Anyway, that's all I've got. If this would work for previous seasons I am not sure yet but I invite anyone to take a look.
    Last edited by mcbain; 03-19-09 at 01:44 AM. Reason: correcting overall record
    Points Awarded:

prylac gave mcbain 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MacAttack13 gave mcbain 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Blargh gave mcbain 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

s p a m !!!

mcbain

Pretty sure SPAM (!!) looks sell something.

I am trying to develop a profitable NHL system with forum colleagues, for free.

Thanks for that great input however.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Definitely not spam. I don't agree with the method, but its a genuine post.

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

You can always find filters that make something a winner. You forgot the most important thing: testing your filters against a new season.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

Quote Originally Posted by reno cool View Post
    You can always find filters that make something a winner. You forgot the most important thing: testing your filters against a new season.
    called data mining.

ijustwant2bpaid
    ijustwant2bpaid's Avatar Become A Pro!

sounds like a good system but as reno said, u have any results vs. previous seasons? Keep up the good work though!

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

not buying it and here is proof! You say 22 less losses by taking the +1.5.... The problem here is I am sure some, at least 50% of those losses were road favs,,,so they would not be +1.5!

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by G's pks View Post
    not buying it and here is proof! You say 22 less losses by taking the +1.5.... The problem here is I am sure some, at least 50% of those losses were road favs,,,so they would not be +1.5!
    You can get +1.5 on any game at books that have alternate lines. There are plenty of those books.

That said, I would never follow any system that tells you to raise your bet size simply because you lost the previous play in the series. If this method is so successful, just use Kelly on every play and forget the chasing nonsense.

Cassidy
    Cassidy's Avatar Become A Pro!

First, you would have to estimate the price on units that it would cost each series loss, I think by what I saw at another post it would be around 24u.!! the cost for the +1.5 on books use to be an add of -190 average

I think it may be too close the margin of losses that could turn a profitable season on to a catastrophic one. 6 losses and your down.

mcbain

I would like to think I am not data mining; actually just seeing if a form of the successfull JM NBA system could be applied to hockey.

Telling me to bet by Kelly is irrelevant. I know many hate a series bet but that is the way it has to be for this system. Using one this season in the NBA we are 75-1...

Anyway, the other point made and a good one is that some of these teams may not have been dogs on the road and you couldn't have got the +1.5 at many books.

I looked at the losses, and since they were by these teams: ATL, FLA, PHI (at SJ), PIT (at SJ), STL, PHX, NYI, TB, NSH and COL it was pretty easy to tell these teams would not have been favored on the road 3 games in a row! Only PHI or PIT could have even been considered a possible fave on road and no doubt would never be favored when playing at SJ and they both lost by 1 goal there.

Another member has analyzed last season and found that using only teams with a winning road record would result in a 93-2 record (+46 units).

Axis
    3minutedrill.com
    Axis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 918

^^
    Yea but in the beginning of a season, you don't know who is going to have a winning road record...

Good thoughts, but I'd have to go back more than one season to see if this still worked.

DukeJohn
    DukeJohn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Furthermore, you would have had to keep track as the season progressed to say what the worst road teams at the time. You just can't look at the current worst road teams... You should just back test it over the last few years... you already have the filters...

G's pks
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    You can get +1.5 on any game at books that have alternate lines. There are plenty of those books.

That said, I would never follow any system that tells you to raise your bet size simply because you lost the previous play in the series. If this method is so successful, just use Kelly on every play and forget the chasing nonsense.
    Like he would be lucky enough to know exactly when to do this!

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post

I sometimes use a raise after a lost bet on a particular team system. But this has more to do with perceived additional value on the losing team next time out.

mcbain

This NHL system I detailed in the first post of this thread is 3-0 on three A bets for far since we started testing it out.

WSH and EDM on the 19th won
    DET on the 20th won

VAN is an A bet on 21st.

rjohnny
    rjohnny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 258

there is a website that sells an nhl system. The site looks very similar to the JM site. So i'm sure it's the same people. I know devildog, on this site, knows what the system is because he references the record. I'm sure it's pretty much the JM basketball and baseball system morphed together.

egr99
    egr99's Avatar Become A Pro!

9 losses for 07/08 with 1- First 3 games only of road trip, 2- +1.5 when team is dog. Did not do the road record filter, will be checking that soon. TAM was 3 losses in itself.

egr99

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

For the 08-09 season, if you bet against every road team until it lost on a road trip of three games or more, the total series record was 160-9. I've got the Excel sheet.

egr99

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    For the 08-09 season, if you bet against every road team until it lost on a road trip of three games or more, the total series record was 160-9. I've got the Excel sheet.
    Quick question... What do you use to backtest? Do you have a way to import all the results in excel? Im doing everything manually and its a bit of a pain.

egr99

floridagolfer

Quote Originally Posted by egr99 View Post
    Quick question... What do you use to backtest? Do you have a way to import all the results in excel? Im doing everything manually and its a bit of a pain.

egr99
    I created my own Excel sheet for last season; it's updated daily and it takes two minutes a day.

I've also gone through every schedule for the 09-10 season and that sheet is ready to go. If memory serves me right, there are 171 series, excluding one, I think, that was split around the break for the Olympics.

G's pks
    Update your status

Ok the original post was betting road teams...your post says bet against the road team...please explain. Also is this ML or what?

egr99

cool, planning on doing the same this year but going through past seasons right now and its very tedious... gluck

egr99

egr99

re-creating every teams record home/away game by game its taking me forever... Hopefully done by start of season! LOl

egr99

G's pks
    Update your status

Also if there were 9 series losses times three that would be 27 game losses...if each loss was a -200 team...that would be equivilent to say 54 losses?

floridagolfer

Ok the original post was betting road teams...your post says bet against the road team...please explain. Also is this ML or what?
    You are correct. Sorry about that.

I play this to go against visiting teams on road trips of three games or more. It was 160-9 last year and very close to that the year before.

I have no knowledge of any format that backs the visiting teams.

For those trying to go through schedules to find road trips, perhaps we're talking about two different things. I went through every team's season schedule and the entire compilation took two or three hours.

G's pks
    Update your status

I believe in systems and use a very successful one for baseball that involves some capping skills also... Sounds very interesting... GL with it... If you are taking the home team .... as you stated I am assuming you are betting ML not giving a puck and a half.... Just the problem being...some of the ML favs/home are heavy chalk. If there is a successful road system as originally started here... I am guessing that would pay better... Do you know what you would be up say betting $100 a game?

floridagolfer

I believe in systems and use a very successful one for baseball that involves some capping skills also... Sounds very interesting... GL with it... If you are taking the home team .... as you stated I am assuming you are betting ML not giving a puck and a half.... Just the problem being...some of the ML favs/home are heavy chalk. If there is a successful road system as originally started here... I am guessing that would pay better... Do you know what you would be up say betting $100 a game?
    Yes, all the plays are ML.

To play for a profit of $100 a series, my guess is that you would need a bankroll of a couple of thousand because I can assure you there are going to be god-awful teams that go out and win the first two games of a road trip against home favorites that are -300 or more. That will shake your confidence in a hurry.

G's pks
    Update your status

Yes, all the plays are ML.

To play for a profit of $100 a series, my guess is that you would need a bankroll of a couple of thousand because I can assure you there are going to be god-awful teams that go out and win the first two games of a road trip against home favorites that are -300 or more. That will shake your confidence in a hurry.
    Great info just make sure those of you reading this thread...the first person started out talking about playing road teams...the second home teams...so you do not bet backwards and get wiped out! G

ketut
    ketut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great, thanks for all your work,Ive been betting hockey for a couple of years now, using the chase system for away teams and also betting on home teams with a series of 3 or 4 games. Can you post your excel sheet that you have on the away games for 2009 and 2010. I also use different filters that seem to work. Thanks

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I started backtesting this system when i got the first nba system last year. I played it last year but not as a chase, just B and Cs and i came out positive. I got 11 teams down backtracked to 1995 checking for all 3 game road trips. I plan on finishing the backtest on the other teams before the season starts. Ive been recording the loses to try and find the filters. One I noticed is dont bet the first or last series of a season. Juice in this system would be crazy.

For the following teams CHI,CBJ,DET,NAS,STL,NJ,NYI,NYR,PHI,PIT,B OS since 95 3 games roadtrip results playing +1.5 spread, no filters.

08- 65 wins 0 loss
    07- 67 wins 3 loss NYI,NAS,STL
    06- 54 wins 5 loss NYIx2,DET,STL,BOS
    05- 55 wins 1 loss STL
    03- 60 wins 1 loss PIT
    02- 59 wins 4 loss PIT,CHI,CBJ,BOS
    01- 64 wins 0 loss
    00- 57 wins 2 loss CBJ,NAS
    99- 57 wins 0 loss
    98- 61 wins 1 loss BOS
    97- 57 wins 1 loss (been awhile & I have a loss checked but didnt record team)
    96- 58 wins 1 loss PIT
    95- 40 wins 2 loss NYI BOS

only 11 teams were backtested
    Points Awarded:

Blargh gave brooks85 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

floridagolfer

Quote Originally Posted by ketut View Post
    Great, thanks for all your work,Ive been betting hockey for a couple of years now, using the chase system for away teams and also betting on home teams with a series of 3 or 4 games. Can you post your excel sheet that you have on the away games for 2009 and 2010. I also use different filters that seem to work. Thanks
    Here's the schedule for 2009-10. On one page you'll see all the road trips of three games or more; on another page you'll see all the homestands of three games or more. I've heard that some players like to play both angles, though playing the homestands is something I've never done.

Everything should be self-explanatory. I THINK I've managed to include this attachment properly.
    Last edited by floridagolfer; 06-23-10 at 09:05 AM.
    Points Awarded:

Blargh gave floridagolfer 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

egr99

Wonder how long untill JM picks up on this thread and advertise NHL v2.0

Good work guys... Im on to something too, don't mind sharing but won't be posting for the above reason. PMs are welcome...

Currently got:
    08/09: 58-1
    07/08: 66-1

Finishing up 3-4 more seasons but looks around the same lines.

egr99

egr99

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    One I noticed is dont bet the first or last series of a season. Juice in this system would be crazy.
    Yup, very good observation, both the losses i encountered qualified through my filters and both were in the month of october in each season.

egr99

egr99

Also, so people don't think I am datamining... I am doing pure and filtered numbers.

pure... filtered
    08/09: 161-3 ... 58-1
    07/08: 167-9 ... 66-1

Giving up a ton of wins for less risk/losses.

I dont think im datamining because I am showing similar results for several years of backtesting

egr99

1234 ... Last