stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

2013 MLB players to keep an eye on (will be updated all spring)

Dan Haren - 32 year old Dan Haren is heading back to the NL, and while some warning signs are there after a markedly less effective 2012 with the Angels that included a second straight year of velocity loss, I still believe that Haren will prove to be a very serviceable starter with the Nationals. He's durable, he still has excellent control, and his biggest negative (HR%) is going to be muted a bit in the league switch. I expect a solid bounceback campaign for Haren in 2013.

Lorenzo Cain - Cain did indeed show off a bit of his intriguing power/speed potential in 2012, going 10/10 on the basepaths while hitting 7 homers in just 61 games, but the nagging injuries were definitely the story of his season. The good news for fantasy owners here is that the limited exposure might allow Cain to be a bargain here in 2013, as with a bit better luck this year with BABIP could see him post something like .280-15-25 in an improving offense. He's definitely someone that I would target in all formats this year.

Adam Eaton - The 24 year old Eaton looks like a very solid acquisition this year in traditional 5X5 formats, as despite just 2 steals at the big league level in over 100 ABs last year he has managed over 40 SB in each of his two minor league seasons. He isn't completely devoid of power, but his style of hitting (extremely high GB%) isn't going to be conducive to big power numbers. Nonetheless, he should provide plenty of punch in the AVG, R, and SB categories if he does manage to emerge from camp as the starting CF, something that looks very likely at this point.

Tommy Hanson - Hanson is coming off a 4th straight season of increasing ERA, to go along with increasing walk totals and declining velocity the past two seasons. Combine that with a move to the more difficult league for 2013, and Hanson definitely looks like someone to avoid. He really hasn't looked right to be since the All-Star Break in 2011, at which point he was coming of of six straight quality starts but had shown a moderately-sized drop in velocity. He had five more starts after the break, two of them QS, before going on the shelf for the remainder of the year with shoulder tendonitis. He also missed time with a back strain last year, but he hasn't had that shoulder cut open yet, and I do emphasize yet, because every indication is that it is still a concern. If healthy, Hanson is a 26 year old starter with a track record of success, but I'm inclined to let others take the gamble on that "if" in 2013.

Brian Roberts - At age 35 and coming off of three straight years with major injury issues, it's really anyone's guess what to expect from Roberts. He comes into camp as the favorite to start at 2B for the O's, and if he can give you anything close to the production that he offered from 2005-2009 (roughly .290-13-37 for 5 years), he's a must-have. By all reports he's healthy to begin camp, making him one of the players that I will be most curious about once the Grapefruit League games begin. He is an intriguing sleeper for 2013, particularly in 5X5 formats assuming that his speed has held up.

Shane Victorino - I expect a solid rebound this season from the Flyin' Hawaiian, who appears to be heading to a park that is a nearly perfect fit for his style of play. Fenway is XBH Central, basically the opposite of Dodger Stadium, and Victorino has typically offered quite a bit of value via 2B and 3B. We may see a bit of a drop in HR for him, but with his still excellent speed he should be an excellent fit in head-to-head formats this year, and is expected to remain a solid 2nd or 3rd OF in traditional formats as well.

Tyler Flowers - Tyler Flowers is finally getting a chance to pick up some playing time with the departure of A.J. Pierzynski, and just in time for his age-27 season to boot. The massive K numbers are going to limit his upside, but Flowers has easy 20-HR power (he hit 20 HR in 2011 between AAA and MLB in barely over 100 games) and will draw a walk. He'll be a solid value option in any league that values OBP, but will be limited to 2nd-catcher value in most formats due to the likelihood of a painfully low AVG.

Aroldis Chapman - I'm definitely anxious to see what the Reds are going to do with Chapman, as his value can go a lot of different ways here. It looks like he will be the fifth starter at this point, and he'll probably be on some sort of innings/pitch limit (although with Dusty you never know). He still could offer a lot of value from that slot, but likely a bit less for fantasy purposes than if he were still closing. That two-pitch arsenal might cause an issue with his effectiveness as well, although I still think he would be well above average. His talent is great enough that I would still be happy owning him without knowing his role, but I'd limit my acquisition cost ceiling a bit.

Andy Dirks - I remain a big Dirks fan, as improved contact rate, power numbers, and LD rate showed him providing solid value in an injury-plagued 344 PAs last season. He comes into camp this year still owning the good side of the LF platoon, and at age 27 he may break out just a little bit more this season. I'd like to see him run more, as he still does possess good speed (he stole 2 in 10 games on minor league rehab), but hitting in front of Cabrera and Fielder necessarily limits his opportunities to run. He still remains a very underrated OF bat with further upside potential.

Bruce Rondon - It's still mid-February, but the defending AL champs appear to be anointing 22 year old prospect Bruce Rondon as the frontrunner for the closer's role vacated by the overrated and despised (by me, anyway, and a few thousand others) Jose Valverde. Rondon began last year in A-ball, but he touches 100 with his fastball and saved 29 games at three levels in the minors, so he must be closer material. He has the requisite control issues of all hard throwing relief arms, and my biggest concern for his value is the presence of Joaquin Benoit and Brayan Villarreal, two very underrated relief arms that have already performed well at the top level. Rondon is the frontrunner, simply because management has said so, but the situation will definitely merit watching as spring rolls on....the closer's role on a winning team is certainly going to provide value for whomever can earn it.

Jose Veras - Jose Veras absolutely has the ability to become a mediocre closer for Houston in 2013. Lest you think I'm damning with faint praise, that's pretty lofty territory for a guy that has been a completely fungible middle reliever now hitting his sixth team in five years. Veras still has a live arm, he still strikes out a bunch of folks, and he still has trouble finding the plate at times...the sum total of which is pretty average. The Astros think he is their best option at the back of the bullpen right now, and I think they're probably right, so look for a low-4.00's ERA, a mediocre WHIP, some decent K totals and 20-25 saves out of Veras.

Pedro Florimon - Only the Twins, in this day and age, would go into the season with their best SS option consisting of a 26 year old that has virtually no power, strikes out a ton, and isn't likely to hit .250. Florimon may give you some steals, but I doubt the rest of the warts will make it worth your while.
    Grant Balfour - Balfour had a very solid year last year, especially for a guy that was yanked out of the closer's role for almost three months in the middle of the season. If given a full year in the job, I expect he'll be in the top half of the closer ranks, but he does seem to have less job security than most. I would still value him as a mid-tier closing option for 2013, with an ERA near 3.00, a WHIP just north of 1.00, and 30 saves a solid bet.

Domonic Brown - There are always a few guys that seem to get blocked year after year by decision that their organizations make, and right now Domonic Brown has got to be near the top of that illustrious list. The signing of Delmon Young throws Brown into a competition with John Mayberry and Darin Ruf for the LF job, and there's no way you can look at the Phillies' treatment of Brown and think that he's the frontrunner. The problem here is that the Phils are getting all excited over Ruf's age 25 season in AA last year, which amounted to a 317/408/620 slash line. Somehow they've forgotten that Domonic Brown did the same thing at AA (318/391/602) three years ago......when he was 22. Brown also has more speed and is still a year younger than Ruf, but God help him if he struggles for a day or two. I still think there is an enormous amount of potential here, but it isn't worth paying for without some guarantee of playing time. He is certainly one to watch during camp, because any misfortune to Ruf or Young and Brown's value will skyrocket.

Kolten Wong - One look at the Cardinal 2B situation will definitely tell you that as soon as they think Kolten Wong is ready, he's coming to St. Louis. Dan Descalso and Peter Kozma are backup guys, and with Wong putting up a solid season at AA last year at age 21, he could be ready sometime mid-season in 2013. He would definitely be on my list of reserve options in deeper leagues with an eye toward using him down the stretch.

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Ha, I was going to come into this thread and post Dirks, I like him this year too.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Nice thread, Brewers wish they had Lorenzo Cain probably still.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

great info, great thread idea...hope to keep this updated all year

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Roberts is finished but he's still making like12 mill

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9824

you read it here first

nick swisher is great value where he gets drafted and quit drafting catchers early

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

I think Justin Mourneau has a great year and stays injury free

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38385

Haren has always been a wildcard. He started very good for the A's in his career. Gets traded to the Dbacks where he pitched fine and then back to AL where he was nothing but average.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Jeff Samardzija. Look at his K/BB ratio down the stretch last year.

He is a steal this year.

ProPicker713
    METS!
    ProPicker713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Reyes steal champ!

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38385

Also watch out for David Wright. Should have a very good bounceback season.

ProPicker713
    METS!
    ProPicker713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite140 View Post
    David wright is always solid.
    MIke trout needs to be picked up instantly.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    I think Justin Mourneau has a great year and stays injury free
    agreed, he'll be around in the later rounds, don't spend an early draft pick though.

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

good post...

Im in STL, I'll add

colton wong is suppose to be decent, but matt carpenter has been working out at 2nd all offseason, and they have ronnie cedeno and daniel descalso...

shortstop is a big question... people already have furcal getting hurt at some point (w good reason), and Kozma not living up to his little stretch last year... that only leaves Ryan Jackson, who is impressive defensivly and supposedly better offensively every year... and hes 24 yrs old

Oscar Tavares is suppose to be something like the next Albert Pujols, but hes only 20 yrs old... with a aging Beltran in right, a Injury prone Holliday in left, allen craig full time at first now... he could see a decent amount of time... especially since the only real center fielder they have other than him would be john jay w shoemaker gone.

the cardinals young pitching is pretty insanly deep... which ever one makes the starting rotation, might be a diamond in the rough... they are all high 90's strikeout machines, shelby miller, rosenthol, lynn, and joe kelly being the favorites for 2013

I have questions about the reds/chapman in the rotation... he was so lights out as a closer, letting it fly every night... how is he gonna handle dialing it back to start every 5 days for 7-8 innings?

... cardianls are gonna be young at some key spots, but the pitching and bench have the potential to be scary good
    Last edited by YouMama; 02-16-13 at 08:24 AM.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

I'm pissed as a Reds fan about Aroldis Chapman. Why? Keep him a closing.
    It better not turn out like the Danny Graves experiment!!!
    Points Awarded:

jimk6969 gave koz-man 300 Betpoint(s) for this post.

soccerzyko
    Update your status
    soccerzyko's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2128

Tyler flowers is a good look. I could see him having a good year

Terrapin Station
    Terrapin Station's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

I'm really liking Adam Eaton going into this season. His style of play is suited great to that ballpark.

makaveli66
    makaveli66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Very cool thread, Nash.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Station View Post
    I'm really liking Adam Eaton going into this season. His style of play is suited great to that ballpark.
    Been out of the fantasy baseball loop for a few years and thought it was Adam Eaton the pitcher.

TheStandard.ag
    TheStandard.ag's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

I hope you are right on Dom Brown. I've been waiting for years for this guy to finally get a full chance/stay healthy. Really wish the Phillies hadn't signed Delmon Young to block Brown or Ruf's potential. The good news is that Young looks like he will be starting the season on the DL. Gives both Brown and Ruf a few weeks to prove their worth. Hopeful that both end up in the outfield and Young ends up on the bench or on another team.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Wright had a good 2012 season.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Haren has always been a wildcard. He started very good for the A's in his career. Gets traded to the Dbacks where he pitched fine and then back to AL where he was nothing but average.
    Seriously???? He was really good in Oakland, he was great in Arizona and was great for LA untill back issues struck him down in June of last year, he never been a "wild card" before last years injury is was consistently great

stevenash

Mike Trout OF ANA- Trout was a bona fide freak on the field last year. With a .326 BA, .399 OBP and a WAR of 10.0, which led the league, Trout also topped the majors in SBs, and Runs. The most fascinating thing about all of this is that Trout amassed these numbers in just 139 games played. Get ready for the rub...he's reportedly gained 20 pounds this season, bringing him up to 240lbs...on a 6'1" frame...many of us are scratching our heads...why? Why tamper with something that's worked so well last season. Can his body/joints withstand the torque if he plays with the same "reckless abandonment" that he displayed last season? One of the many dilemmas facing us this fantasy draft season.

Michael Bourn OF CLE - The sweepstakes for speedster Michael Bourn is over now that he has landed in Cleveland. Heavily dependant on his legs, there is no denying his high level of production. In 2012 he was second in the MLB with 42 SB and with a WAR of 6.4, Bourn ranked 13th in the majors in that category. One knock on Bourn is that he does strike out at an alarming rate for a top of the order guy (22.0 K%), but he does make up for it with a 350ish OBP. The good news about his move to Cleveland is that he'll be running and often. Consider that Cleveland as a team attempted 154 Stolen bases last season, which was tied for 10th most in the league, yet they were only successful 71% of the time (20th in the league). Fantistics is projecting an increase to 53 stolen bases for Bourn, and that might be conservative.

Jordan Zimmermann P WAS- The Nationals right-hander is entering his second year of arbitration eligibility in 2013, so it would be wise for Washington to lock him up, as he has vastly improved his numbers over the course of his first three seasons in the bigs. With an ERA of 2.94 in almost 200 IP (195.2), Zimmerman was the Nats equivalent to "Ol' Reliable." His HR/FB ratio was under 10 percent (9.4), which was a step back from 2011 (5.9), but he did get his GB percent back to 43, which is a good sign considering he isn't an overpowering pitching (about 7 K/9IP). His ERA last season of 2.94 looks awfully appealing, however a closer look shows that it was understated by almost 50 points. He's being drafted as a top 25, but that might be his max upside given the lack of Ks.

Max Scherzer P DET - There's no denying that the Tigers put together a heck of a season in 2012, even though it fell short once again with a disappointing performance in the World Series. With big names like Verlander and Cabrera lighting up the stat sheets for Detroit, it was easy to overlook the year that Scherzer put together. Scherzer's ERA improved each month as the regular season went on (April - 7.77, May - 4.04, June - 3.86, July - 3.62, August - 2.25, September - 2.17, October - 0.00). You could make the argument that 28-year-old Missouri grad has close to the best stuff in the MLB when he's on, and some of his numbers support that fact (11.08 K/9, WAR of 4.6). If he can leapfrog the early season jitters this season, as well as lowering his walk totals (2.88 BB/9), we could be looking at a potential Cy Young candidate. Currently a 7th round 10th selection ADP.

Chris Sale P CHA - Another guy who took the league by storm last season was White Sox lefty Chris Sale, who's transition from the bullpen into the starting rotation was nothing short of poetry in motion. The 23-year-old Florida native finished 2012 with 17 wins, an ERA of 3.05 and a WAR of 4.9, which tied Cliff Lee for eighth among all pitchers. Sale's strikeout numbers were solid, averaging an even one strikeout per inning, while leaving 80 percent of runners stranded on the base paths, good for third in the MLB in that category. Even more promising for the young arm is his FIP, which sat at 3.27 last season, which is nothing short of remarkable considering his age and MLB experience. As Anthony points out in his software player notes, his 17 Wins from last season were overstated thanks to an outpouring of support when he was on the mound. He really only deserved 13 Wins in 2012, yet we still rank him in the top 20.

Andrew McCutchen OF PIT- McCutchen is a guy who is hard not to love. His combination of defense, power and speed cause headaches for opposing managers. In just his fourth MLB season, McCutchen, similar to phenom Mike Trout, did everything. The 26-year-old centerfielder hit .327 with 31 big flies and 96 RBI while sporting a pretty .400 OBP. His WAR of 7.4 was good for seventh in the MLB, ahead of guys like Matt Holliday, Joe Mauer, Prince Fielder and even AL MVP and Triple Crown Winner Miguel Cabrera. A FPI of .77 and 10 Value Above Mean makes McCutchen a surefire top 15 in almost all league formats.

Ichiro Suzuki OF NYA - One of the more intriguing fantasy names going into this season has to be Ichiro. After being traded to the Yankees, Ichiro's game improved immensely as his BA and OBP both increased by .50 percentage points, as well as his SLG percentage being over .100 points higher in NY than in SEA, which comes as no surprise considering NY being a lefty hitters haven and Seattle being more of a pitchers park. Even though Ichiro is approaching 40 years of age, his legs are still remarkably spry. His most prominent contribution will be his 30+ SBs, but his 15th round ADP may be a little rich.

Bobby Parnell RP NYN - Parnell put together his best season to date in 2012, posting an ERA of 2.49 and averaging 8 K/9 coming out of the bullpen for the New York Mets. He hasn't been able to capture the everyday closer role for NY, mostly because he has struggled to get batters out in the ninth. Closing is almost always a mental hump to get over for relievers, some people have the capacity, others don't, and so far Parnell hasn't had the head for the job. The most promising aspect of Parnell's game is that he has a high GB rate (61.5 percent) and rarely gives up the long ball (0.52 HR/9IP). The increase in grounders could be a result of him switching from a slider as his second pitch, to a curve. All in all, if his eighth inning performances can translate into the ninth inning, expect his fantasy value to skyrocket in 2013 as he will probably land the closer role at some point, as the Frank Francisco situation doesn't look very promising.

Travis D'Arnaud C NYN - After being traded to the Mets this off-season for Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey, you would expect a little more buzz to surround the MLB's third ranked prospect. D'Arnaud had a fantastic 2012 with Toronto's Triple-A affiliate, batting .333 with 16 HR and 52 RBI in just 67 games played. He is expected to make the major league club to start 2013, although I seem to favor the idea of letting him play a month in Triple-A before coming into the big leagues, similar to the Angels approach with Mike Trout last season. D'Arnaud's explosive bat gives Mets fans a reason to watch this season, although his strikeout percentage (19.5) and walk percentage (6.3) are alarmingly high and low respectively. As Anthony points out in his software notes, his swing has a ton of moving parts...which typically translates to an adjustment period. We've got him ranked as a top 20, simply because there isn't much depth at the position.

Curtis Granderson OF NYA - After a 2011 that propelled Curtis Granderson into fantasy stardom, the "Grandy Man's" WAR decreased from an extremely efficient 7.0 in 2011, to just a 2.6 in 2012. His BA decreased from .262 to .232 and he stole 15 less bases, mostly due to the fact that he was striking out at almost an Adam Dunn-like rate (28.5 percent). When you aren't even giving yourself a chance to get on base, it hurts your fantasy value substantially. Granderson has been mesmerizing his entire career though. In 2007, he posted a WAR of 7.8 only to see his production decrease for the next three seasons, until having his memorable 2011 campaign. His BA will probably see a 10-15 point kick back up based on an unlucky BABIP, and one can only hope that the stolen bases return. He's currently being drafted as a early 4th round ADP, which is appropriate.

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

great post Nash keep em coming when you have time very informative

Erock87
    Erock87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 807

Will Middlebrooks - the kid was playing really well before his injury. I'm real excited about what he can do with the starting job over a full season. We let go of Youk for this kid, he's got some real potential.

I also love to draft my teams around speed. Maybe not for this year, but Billy Hamilton in the Reds organization is unreal. One of my leagues we can keep players for up to 5 years, provided they are drafted past the 12th round and are under 25 years old at draft time. Last year someone drafted Trout in the 16th round, so they keep him for 4 more years. I will likely be targeting Hamilton with one of my final picks, he's just too fast
    Last edited by Erock87; 02-18-13 at 03:34 PM.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Erock87 View Post
    Will Middlebrooks - the kid was playing really well before his injury. I'm real excited about what he can do with the starting job over a full season. We let go of Youk for this kid, he's got some real potential.
    Mike Napoli - Catcher, who will play everyday (DH,1B,C) will get you 23 homers this season.

Erock87
    Erock87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 807

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Mike Napoli - Catcher, who will play everyday (DH,1B,C) will get you 23 homers this season.
    I'm just grateful they re-structed his deal to one year. Napoli crushed it at Fenway...but he crushed Red Sox pitching which was terrible. I don't have alot of expectations for Napoli, because I think I'm pessimistic about his hip. I expect him to be in the .260/18/95 range. Our future looks promising with the likes of Middlebrooks, Doubront, Bogaerts, Bradley, and others here or coming up in the next couple years. Hopefully Pedroia can positively influence them. I'm still optimistic about Lester and Bucholz, two home-grown kids who have had great moments at Fenway.

stevenash

^
    Els should have a big year, as he wants out real bad.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    I'm pissed as a Reds fan about Aroldis Chapman. Why? Keep him a closing.
    It better not turn out like the Danny Graves experiment!!!
    Good starters are worth more than great closers.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    ^
    Els should have a big year, as he wants out real bad.
    Think they deal him midseason. Will be interesting to see if Lester rebounds or if he is done.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

I agree that Trout playing at 240 is ridiculous. The guy will not be as fast at 240, why not wait until you turn 35 to add slugger muscle. My guess is he drops back to about 225 by opening day.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 549

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    I agree that Trout playing at 240 is ridiculous. The guy will not be as fast at 240, why not wait until you turn 35 to add slugger muscle. My guess is he drops back to about 225 by opening day.
    It will be difficult for him to lose the weight and especially to keep it off.

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

Bryce Harper could be real good because of his stolen bases and big hitters behind him

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    He was like 235 last spring in camp, got the flu and dropped to 205-208 range.
    He should be at 230.
    Last edited by stevenash; 02-19-13 at 04:16 AM.

soccerzyko
    Update your status
    soccerzyko's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2128

I'm taking Bourn in round 3 at the latest. Now that hes on a better team, his RBIs and runs scored should only go up.

1234 ... Last